Into the Forest discussion

Original Fairy Tales > The dancing princesses - adapatations

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Feb 28, 2011 08:23PM) (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius Recently I voted on the "7th read" thread and I voted for an adaptation of the dancing princesses story. That reminded me of another book I read quite recently and enjoyed.
Unfortunately I can't remember its title - I am hoping that one of you can:

It is based on the dancing princesses, they are not princesses though: they are the daughters of a merchant who bought an old castle, scraps of the merchants trade cloth are used by the sisters to make gowns for the fairy court where thay dance each month. The story is narrated by the second (I think)daughter who is also left in charge of the buisness when their father has to travel away. Dramatic tension is added by their uncles family who lives nearby.

One finds out that the narrator and the cousin had been involved in an incident at a nearby lake when they were children, during which a younger cousin was drowned.

Also the narrator has a magic frog as her companion.

Does anyone remember a story like this? I think it was pretty recently published.

I want to re-read it so it would be great to find out what it was :-(

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
I think it is Wildwood Dancing

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius That's the one Chris!
Thanks, how could I have forgotten that great cover art so fast I don't know.

message 4: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 8 comments Ideiosepius wrote: "That's the one Chris!
Thanks, how could I have forgotten that great cover art so fast I don't know."

That does have some beautiful cover art; it's also one of my favorite books. The 12 dancing princesses is my favorite fairy tale -- does anyone know of any other good adaptations?

message 5: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (technicola) It sounds good. I've added it to me list :]

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius Gemma - I have read quite a few adaptations but I can't bring any of the titles to mind. What first hooked me on the tale was a very old, very thin kid's book with several variations on the theme including a poem. Next time I see it I'll give you the title.

The Winter Rose (thewinterrose) | 3 comments Gemma - Princess of the Midnight Ball and the Thirteenth Princess are both retellings of the story of the 12 Dancing Princesses. I personally found Princess of the Midnight Ball to be much better than the Thirteenth Princess, though.

message 8: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 8 comments Thanks for the suggestions, Winter Rose. I'll add them to my reading list.