Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Listening to in March 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Vic (last edited Mar 03, 2011 12:09PM) (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Just starting new topic for tomorrow. Lots of good things for me coming out 3/1:
Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels, #9) by Anne Bishop Late Eclipses (October Daye #4) by Seanan McGuire and of course River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs

message 2: by Hilly (new)

Hilly | 14 comments Just finished The Orchid Affair, started Earth: A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race, and working my way with great pleasure through The Temptation of the Night Jasmine.

message 3: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Am in serious audio depression. Was so looking forward to new audios today (see my first post in this thread). Then I get the bad news that Late Eclipses isn't coming out in audio as Brilliance had only contracted the first 3 of that series. OK, bought that one in ebook format.

So, OK, I still had 2 audios to look forward to. As the day went on and neither showed up on audible, I started getting frustrated and worried. Then I did more research and found out that Twilight's Dawn was released as a Recorded Books exclusive Library edition. OK, I can rent it from RB but no immediate gratification.

So I still have River Marked to look forward to. Well, there's some GLITCH with audible and there's been some kind of delay. No idea how long because of course audible doesn't give us THAT kind of information. But found out from Patty's official announcement twitter account (@mercys_garage) that booksonboard.com has audio (MP3 format) available. Has anyone gotten audio from them before?

Bad news - NO new audios for commute home. Think I'll need big glass of wine to go with my ebook tonight and hug from DH.

Thanks for listening to my pity party... :)

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments I soooooo wanted to start River Marked today ;-(

I am listening to Thorn Queen (Dark Swan, #2) by Richelle Mead and here are the rest of the audio's I am going to try to get to this month...
Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler and River Marked when it finally comes out....

message 5: by Vic (last edited Mar 03, 2011 12:09PM) (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Thank you sweet baby jesus in swaddling clothes ... (channeling a little Taledega Nights) Audible has Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels, #9) by Anne Bishop so I'll be listening to that.

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Just finishing up Archangel's Consort and would love to have River Marked waiting in the wings ... but since I'm a read, then listen, person I've got a little time before being seriously disappointed over it.

And it's not like my TBL isn't a mile high, I'm just being picky. :)

message 7: by Kaetrin (new)

Kaetrin | 93 comments @Vic - yes, I've bought audiobooks from Books on Board before - you have to install Overdrive (if you don't have it.) It's a free programme, so no biggie. Then you can import the book into your iPod but NOT iTunes (or, at least, I haven't worked out a way to do it!). Once it's on your iPod, it will probably be in "Albums" rather than "Audiobooks" but it will work just fine.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I finished The Seduction of the Crimson Rose (Pink Carnation, #4) by Lauren Willig today and started The Mischief of the Mistletoe (Pink Carnation Christmas) by Lauren Willig . :)

message 9: by Brenda (last edited Mar 02, 2011 07:59PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Woo Hoo! Found River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs available a couple hours ago at Audible.

Only 3 chapters in and I'm already enjoying both the story and the narration a lot more than I did my other recently anticipated releases:

This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost

Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3) by Nalini Singh

PS. My Kindle version is missing the prologue of River Marked that I heard when I started the audio version?? Lorelie King is a superior narrator, especially in this line up. She catches the emotions your meant to hear.....

message 10: by Rakisha (new)

Rakisha (rakishabpl) | 7 comments I'm listening to The Call of the Canyon by Zane Grey and read by John Bolen. It is a story about a city woman who is trying to adjust to living out in the West in order to build a life with her fiance, a shell-shocked WW1 veteran.

message 11: by Vic (last edited Mar 03, 2011 12:07PM) (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Finished: Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels, #9) by Anne Bishop - really enjoyed (added review even)

Now listening: How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper

@Brenda - I really enjoyed ebook of River Marked! Got audio version now as well for later listening enjoyment. Still have Late Eclipses ebook that I'll gobble up this weekend.

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Finished The Mischief of the Mistletoe (Pink Carnation Christmas) by Lauren Willig
Now listening: The Temptation of the Night Jasmine (Pink Carnation, #5) by Lauren Willig

message 13: by Barbie (new)

Barbie | 24 comments Since I am on spring Break I will be listening to a lot more audiobooks! But I am listening to the cinderella deal by jennifer cruise. I just finished Envy! It was great!!! There was times I end up talking out loud and hoping for Noah's downfall! It got to the point where I caused a stir on the bus (shouted because Noah showed his true colors to the audience not to his wife.)
I think that Roarke( aka Parker) was sexy and yes us women do want a guy who is a little bit of an ass but same time is a gentleman.

message 14: by Brenda (last edited Mar 03, 2011 09:28PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments I agree Vic, River Marked was a very enjoyable read! I'm finishing up my listen to it and I'm enjoying it even more. I'm catching all I missed with my reading habit of going straight to dialogue.

Originally coming into UF as a romance only reader you can imagine my enjoyment of the combo found in River Marked. Although I've loved the series from the first, when there was only a hint of romance. :)

Diane your on a roll with the Willig books, I know how fun it is to find a series that sucks you in like that. Enjoy ...

message 15: by MaryK (new)

MaryK | 168 comments I'm on a break from Challenge books (Really need to post a Challenge update!) and listening to Dark Light. My next Challenge book was going to be Second Sight but it was checked out at the library. It had been available the day before when I wasn't sure when I'd get to it. When I went to get it the next day, it was unavailable! Darned library patrons are messing up my on-a-roll-ness. >:|
;D

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Thanks Brenda. I am having lots of fun with this series. Thanks to the recent sales at Audible I now own the entire series. :) When I finish, one of my challenge categories will be complete. YAY!

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments I'm listening to Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. The book is cleverly written with witty dialog and great characters, plus the narration is fantastic. But, since this is a character-driven book, there's no real main plot. I enjoy listening to it, but when I put it down I don't feel the need to get back to it. I'm about halfway through but haven't picked it up in several days. It feels like a pleasant series of vignettes, which is exactly what it is, and when you finish one you have a sense of completion. ;-) I'll try to finish up this weekend.

message 18: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I'm listening to Hunting Ground and Murder List.

message 19: by Susinok (new)

Susinok I'm having a Hathaway marathon and just started the last book, Love in the Afternoon. I love Rosalynde Landor's narration of the Lisa Kleypas books.

I still have Devil in Winter and Scandal in Spring once Hathaways are finished.

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Finished The Temptation of the Night Jasmine (Pink Carnation, #5) by Lauren Willig
Started The Betrayal of the Blood Lily (Pink Carnation, #6) by Lauren Willig

message 21: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm finishing up Tough Customer by Sandra Brown. It has me thoroughly entertained and Victor Slezak's performance, as always, is fantastic. Two romances - one could be called secondary but I didn't feel the main romance was slighted in the least. I'll definitely listen to this one again.

message 22: by Melinda (last edited Mar 08, 2011 09:03PM) (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments ok I finally, finally finished the last of the Huxtables/Balogh - arg - and wrote my mini-review. I really need a seriously long break from Flosnik and her perrrrrrr fehkt way of speaking. Grrr. Now I can get back to the Pink Carnations and Susan Wiggs and something else I started on!! It's so difficult when it's not that the narrator is boring, or mispronouncing words, or anything - it's that she's annoying as hell with her drier than desert and colder than ice accent. And I am sure I would have enjoyed the story more in print or if Davina Porter had read it! [shiver]

ETA I blew through the 3 Julie James books in print this weekend - they are great! I hope they come out in audio like the 1st one! Now I'm out of print books, but lots of catching up in audio.

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Finished The Betrayal of the Blood Lily (Pink Carnation, #6) by Lauren Willig
Started The Orchid Affair (Pink Carnation, #7) by Lauren Willig
Almost finished with the Pink Carnation series. Going to have to wait until Jan. 2012 for the next book. :(

message 24: by Carrie (last edited Mar 17, 2011 07:45AM) (new)

Carrie | 296 comments Just started Shadow Game by Feehan, narrated by the sexy voice of Tom Stechschulte.

Edited to correct book title. 3/17

message 25: by Naima (new)

Naima (nearhere) | 15 comments I've been listening to Fire And Ice by Anne Stuart recently. Listening to it over and over and over again because I love this book and this recording so much! What's funny is that I read the book when it came out and liked it well enough but the audiobook got me hooked on the book like an addict. I loooooooove this audiobook.

message 26: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments Just started Moon Called, love it!

message 27: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments I'm just listening to it myself and I adore it! She does an amazing job, doesn't she? I always liked the book, but I think she makes it even better.

message 28: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I really love it when I read a book I'm crazy about and then listen to the series. It's like a refresher. And this narrator is really good.

message 29: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianadcmd) I listened to Fire and Ice twice. Xe Sands has an amazing range. A deep baritone for Reno and a girlish (though not annoying) voice for Jilly. Excellent!

Finished Charlie All Night today and I am going to sleep with Trust Me On This. Reading or listening to Crusie always sets me off on a binge.

Just found Krissy on Twitter. Yay!

message 30: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Finished The Orchid Affair (Pink Carnation, #7) by Lauren Willig and Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews last week. Now to figure out I'm in the mood for next. :)

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Ok, settled on Covet (The Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments I finished River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs and Witchling (Sisters of the Moon, #1) by Yasmine Galenorn last week and am currently listening to Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead

message 33: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments Just finished Shadow Game and moved on to something light: Charlie All Night.

message 34: by Susinok (new)

Susinok I'm listening to The Highlander's Touch by Karen Marie Moning and have about 4 hours to go with it.

The Highlander's Touch (Highlander, #3) by Karen Marie Moning

I'm downloading Suzanne Brockman's Breaking the Rules. Can't wait! Do I switch? Or finish? Not sure yet...

Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters, #16) by Suzanne Brockmann

message 35: by Vic (last edited Mar 22, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

message 36: by Ivy (new)

Ivy (ivy99) i'm listening to the black cobra quartet. currently on The Elusive Bride (Black Cobra Quartet, #2) by Stephanie Laurens

message 37: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (thebooktician) I'm in between audios right now, but am considering Kitty Takes a Holiday or Summer Knight or KMM's Highlander's series.

I would love to hear thoughts on the series. I've read GREAT reviews (print and audio) for Kiss of the Highlander and the books thereafter. However, books 1-3 seem to be dismissed. If I don't listen to 1-3 would I be missing out by picking up at book 4? Are 1-3 worth the listen?

Listened to so far in March
Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3) by Robyn Carr Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, #1) by Carrie Vaughn A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, #4) by Robyn Carr Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) by Jim Butcher River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2) by Carrie Vaughn Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) by J.D. Robb Anyone But You  by Jennifer Crusie

message 38: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Starting with KOTH (book 4) is definitely the way to get started in the series (it grabs you quickly). After I read books 5-7 as well, I eventually went back and listened (or relistened) to all of the books. The first three received a C, a D, and a B+ (in that order) but from KOTH on, all books received a B+ or A range.

message 39: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (thebooktician) Lea, that is music to my ears. I actually listened to the first 30 minutes of book 1 and couldn't continue. I will start KOTH and add that to my 2011 reading challenge. :) THANKS!!

message 40: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I finished Covet (The Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward today and started Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters, #16) by Suzanne Brockmann

message 41: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments OK, finally read SHADOW FEVER by Karen Marie Moning and really liked it (though the main character annoyed me). Now listening to CRY WOLF.
I can't tell what books people are reading when the put the tiny little cover up. Is there a way I can make this bigger, do you think?

message 42: by MaryK (last edited Mar 26, 2011 07:34PM) (new)

MaryK | 168 comments Krissie wrote: "I can't tell what books people are reading when the put the tiny little cover up. Is there a way I can make this bigger, do you think? "

If you hover over the cover*, it'll show you the title and author.

*with your mouse :)

message 43: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianadcmd) The covers are too tiny to read on my iPhone app. Tapping it takes me to the book page which is kind of annoying. Admittedly, the app needs a lot of work in more ways than this one.

message 44: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Diana wrote: "The covers are too tiny to read on my iPhone app. Tapping it takes me to the book page which is kind of annoying. Admittedly, the app needs a lot of work in more ways than this one."

I can't see it easily on my laptop either and I do use my iPhone quite a bit as well. I just discovered the hover part though on my computer when Krissie asked the question. I've just been squinting and thinking "What??"

message 45: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (magzzzz) | 25 comments I just joined this group. I tend to listen to a lot of audio (lately I've been doing some podcasts that have cut into my "reading"). I'm currently relistening to Harry Potter. I'm up to Goblet. :) I so enjoyed the latest movie I just felt this urge to relisten. I am so enjoying it.

message 46: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Welcome Maggie!

message 47: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Maggie wrote: "I just joined this group. I tend to listen to a lot of audio (lately I've been doing some podcasts that have cut into my "reading"). I'm currently relistening to Harry Potter. I'm up to Goblet. ..."

Welcome Maggie! I'm a software engineer and I was leading a certain project a few years ago. I spent more time doing all-nighters on that project than I did in my entire time in college. I listened to and re-listened to HP 1 - 5 narrated by Jim Dale more than I can even tell you to keep me aware. LOVE those books in audio!

message 48: by Tara (new)

Tara | 17 comments March was a bittersweet audio month for me. I finished a few series yay!... But I finished them and now I have to wait for the next book to come out.

I finished the Harry Dresden books, which has so far in my audio experience been my favorite series. James Marsters and Jim Butcher are perfect together.

Then at Tracy's suggestion (who also directed me here) I just finished up the In Death series which I started back in December. And the Hunger Games. Now I'm searching for another series I'm thinking of trying the Kelley Armstrong books. the first in the series is Bitten. But I'm going to search around here for more suggestions.

message 49: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Welcome Tara, glad Tracy directed you to the group, you'll find suggestions that range far and wide here.

Maybe I'm starting with obvious, but have you listened to the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews? Or the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Both excellent listens.

Under Paranormal Recommendations you'll also find a detailed list, put together by Vic, that is very informative too. Enjoy!

message 50: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Vic waves a welcome to Tara

The more the merrier in our little group! Sounds like we have some similar tastes. TOTALLY agree on Jim Butcher/James Marsters pairing (thank god for Buzzy Media!) and the In Death series which are GREAT listens!

I took a quick look at your shelves and I definitely second the rec for Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels Series. You don't have this listed on your shelves and there's a lot of world building going on in books 1 & 2 so I don't know how well this goes without reading books first which I did. The series is awesome and gets better with each book!

The Riley Jensen series is audio is really good! (you've already read)

Caution on Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson audios, you may have trouble with them because you've done the Stephanie Plum on audio. It took me a little bit into book 1 to start hearing Mercy and gang instead of SP but it was well worth it. The Alpha&Omega series is great in audio.

... most of those are covered in other threads.

Something a little different for you would be the Molly Harper books which are a light, fun listen of paranormal romance delight. I found it helpful as a book to cleanse my audio palate after Shadowfever.

« previous 1