The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

GETTING TO KNOW YOU > Reading frequency

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandysconnected | 3 comments On average, how many books do you tend to read a month? How about a year?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments I tend to read at least 4-6 a month and last year I read 69 books.

message 3: by Bea (last edited Feb 28, 2011 03:10AM) (new)

Bea | 3878 comments Before I joined SRC, I was reading very little - maybe 1 book a month. Since I joined (Winter SRC), I have averaged 13 books a month! My goal is to read 160 books this year. Only 131 to go!

chucklesthescot Usually about 200 books a year. I read a lot of books each month but don't finish all of them so the monthly total varies.

message 5: by Dee (last edited Feb 28, 2011 12:54PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7545 comments umm...last year was in the vicinity of 420 books...some were really short, and probably about 1/5 were audiobooks because I have an hour commute to and from work daily...I also probably read 1-2 hours each night and more on the weekends

message 6: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) I usually read 2-3 per week, sometimes more (or less, if i'm working on a big book!) I'm hoping to start using some audiobooks this challenge so I can listen to them while I work in my studio (the radio and tv get boring after a while, and I can get my book count up!)

message 7: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (barbarava) Without thinking too much I set my goal at 60 books. It sounded good, 5 a month, totally unrealistic! I must have had those thoughts at 3 a.m. because I really average 2-3 per week!

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments I'm lucky if I read one book per week, sometimes 2. I also average one longer audiobook or two shorter audiobooks per month. I do my listening in the car.

I'm always in awe of the amount of reading some members of the challenge manage to accomplish. I've never scored more than 200 points in any seasonal reading challenge. I bow down to those who actually finish them!

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments My goal is 52 books for the year (one a week in theory). Before college I read a lot more, then when I got to school text books took over and I stopped reading almost entirely. Now that I've graduated I'm looking forward to using the SRC to motivate me to read more books.

message 10: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I read more since I joined the winter challenge. I read about 45 in 2 months. before the challeng I read about 8-12 a month now my goal is 22 a month.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments Wow 22 a month is alot.

message 12: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I have no life. lol

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments Neither do I and I read 69 books last year. I read 15 since January :)

message 14: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I read YA too so maybe the books are smaller. Or maybe I have an addiction problem.

message 15: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Thanks to SRC, I got out of a reading slump, in which I maybe had been lucky to read 10 books a year. In 2009, I read 59 books. Then in 2010 (though RL kept me sooooo busy), I was back to my 10 books in a year. So this year, my goal is to beat the 2009 record, and read 60 this year. So as long as I can get in about 5 books/month, I should be good. So far, I have finished 11. Usually I look at the audiobooks I listen to as 1 CD/Disc per each way I drive to school, or 2 CD/Discs/day, or 8 CD/Discs per week.

Interesting thread, btw.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dreibelbeis (nicoledreibelbeis) | 134 comments Last year I read about 200 books, mostly young adult fiction...I read about 15-20 month.

message 17: by Asho (new)

Asho | 189 comments For the past few years I've been reading about 60 books per year, so I'm averaging about 5 books per month. I always considered myself a voracious reader, but then I joined this group and saw that I'm nowhere near as big a bookworm as I thought.
I also spend a lot of my reading time reading magazines and blogs, which brings down my overall book total. That's why this group is good for me, it encourages me to use my pleasure reading time on books!

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) I'm like Nicole...I can read 15+ books a month. I keep track of them on my blog as well as on here. Last year I read I *think* 240 or 260 books, can't remember the exact number.

This year so far I've read over 40 books. I can typically read a book in a day, but I get distracted by stuff, so not always.

message 19: by Amanda (last edited Mar 03, 2011 08:43AM) (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments I think the total book count isn't as important as pages read. All of my books tend to be 400+ pages and I like to read classics which can be a little harder to understand and can effect the number of books read.

message 20: by JennRenee (last edited Mar 04, 2011 02:24PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Amanda Pearl wrote: "I think the total book count isn't as important as pages read. All of my books tend to be 400+ pages and I like to read classics which can be a little harder to understand and can effect the numbe..."

I agree. I can read 20-25 a month because most of my books are 300-400 pages but if I add bigger books the amount of books go down. I read a lot of YA and those are not typically hard to read. I could not get through classics quickly at all.

message 21: by MsOPP (new)

MsOPP | 130 comments Depending on the time of year, I usually average a bit over one book a day. I sometimes have long reports and such that I have to read for work that slow me down, though.

message 22: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 125 comments I go in spurts. Sometimes I will read 1-2 books a day and sometimes I will go a week or more without reading a thing (well, except magazines and the like). I generally am able to finish about 125-150 books/year on a slow reading year, though.

message 23: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments I usually read 13-18 books per month; and most of the books are in the 300-500 pages range. Some are longer, and some are shorter, and usually 2-5 books per 3-month span will be collections of novellas / novelettes / short stories. I rarely read one book in one day; usually I have 3-4 books going at a time, and read an installment of the book every day. I've made it a personal rule to have only one of each genre going at a time; the exception is if I'm reading about a historical event (like the American Revolution) I'll read 2-3 non-fiction books about it at the same time. And, of course, when my kids pick out a book and want mommy to read it with them, I will, but then they have to discuss it with me!! LOL

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (m_ellereads) | 32 comments I thought I read a lot until I read the posts in this thread! I have a goal of 75 books for the year (about 6-7 per month) and I thought that was a lot! I also set a goal for 21,000 pages. For the past few years I have averaged about 70-72 books for the year, and recently added the pages just for kicks and grins (I average 20,000 pages since I've been keeping track--3 years).

This is my second challenge, and if I read all I have planned, I'll make my yearly goal easy to attain.

Now I'm off to read (I wish), I mean work. (I've got to be able to pay for all those books somehow!) LOL

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) Usually 5 or 6 a month, but so far this year, it hasn't been very many.

message 26: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Believe it or not, I read more when I was working. But since I retired early, May 2010 I averaged about 3 per month until May of this year. I chose to do the Summer 2011 Reading Challenge to get out of my reading slump and spend less time doing the Facebook Games. My goal for 2011 is to read 50 books: only 38 to go.