Philosophy discussion

Archives > How to read about Philosophy ?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mina (last edited Feb 27, 2011 06:11PM) (new)

Mina magdy | 4 comments i want help about how icoud read about Philosophy
as i usualy get disappointed about book iread i wish icould find a good book to read

Rob the Obscure | 261 comments What is your native language?

message 3: by Mina (new)

Mina magdy | 4 comments english

message 4: by Mina (new)

Mina magdy | 4 comments may you help me about finding a book about egyption philosophy

message 5: by Rob the Obscure (last edited Feb 28, 2011 06:59PM) (new)

Rob the Obscure | 261 comments Mina, my dear...you are 11 years old. Most philosophy texts are very complicated...both conceptually and in terms of the language use. In addition, most include lots of big fancy words which are considered part of the philosophy lexicon, and are not used in common everyday speech.

I fear you will just frustrate yourself. But if you insist, you might start with a simple history of philosophy.

Molefi Asante has written a history of Egyptian philosophy and religion which may interest you.

message 6: by Tyler (last edited Mar 01, 2011 05:17PM) (new)

Tyler  (tyler-d) | 444 comments Hi Mina --

may you help me about finding a book about egyption philosophy

I'm guessing you're interested in something to do with political philosophy.

A book I can recommend is Dream Palace of the Arabs: A Generation's Odyssey. One chapter in this book covers developments in the intellectual life of Egypt up until the 1990's, and it contains a lot about the development of political philosophy in Egypt. It explains aspects of philosophical and intellectual trends in the Arab world that have contributed to the recent revolutions.

If the next parliament writes a new constitution, you might want to read On Liberty, a famous work of political philosophy. It is short, less than 200 pages, and relevant to the immediate situation in Egypt.

Much of Egypt's post-colonial philosophy is French in origin. Naguib Mahfouz's novels are an example of the philosophy of existentialism in Egyptian literature.

message 7: by Mina (new)

Mina magdy | 4 comments thanks to all

thewanderingjew | 11 comments Hi Mina,
I can recommend a book site for children and young adults that recommends and reviews books in your age range. www.sweetonbooks.com
One of the books reviewed is "Where the Streets Have A Name" by Randa Abdel-Fattah, told through the eyes of a 13 year old Palestinian child. It presents the Palestinian point of view and although it really only presents one side of the Arab-Israeli conflict, it is written well and I think you will enjoy it.
My grandchild is 11 and she read it too.
I wrote a review which is posted here on Goodreads. Perhaps you should look at it too.
Also, there are books listed on that website (www.sweetonbooks.com) for black history month, about their struggle for freedom, which you might enjoy. Give it a try. You can explore the reviews.
Good luck and don't be discouraged. You are at a wonderful age and the world is full of new ideas to explore as well as old ones!

message 9: by Tyler (new)

Tyler  (tyler-d) | 444 comments I believe the 11 in Mina's profile is a district of Cairo.

message 10: by thewanderingjew (new)

thewanderingjew | 11 comments That is interesting. Has she stated that? Well, I was well intentioned and it will certainly make her aware of the fact that she has to clarify her age, lol. Then more appropriate books can be suggested.

message 11: by Tyler (new)

Tyler  (tyler-d) | 444 comments Several posters are confused by this. I've noticed numbers next to many foreign cities, and where people put their birthdays in, the word "age" pops up automatically on that same top line. The information on the profile's top line isn't clear.

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill (BIll_B) | 188 comments Patrice wrote: "The Bible and Plato. I think once you have those you will see them again and again in everything that follows."

I agree the Bible and Plato are at the top of the list. I'd add Shakespeare to round out the top three.

message 13: by Japi (new)

Japi | 2 comments Bill wrote: "Patrice wrote: "The Bible and Plato. I think once you have those you will see them again and again in everything that follows."

I agree the Bible and Plato are at the top of the list. I'd add ..."

Shakespeare and philosophy? Interesting...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Tyler. She's 20 years old and goodreads should change their template in profile's details.

I can't, by no mean, guide you to the realm of Egyptian philosophy. However, I can guide you to a good books.

My first real philosophy book is "Think" by Simon Blackburn. It's quite hard for me to start as I'm not native English and quite young at that time but I suppose any young adult who born and raise in English speaking world can read it through quite easily. However, reading this book might not give you an understanding of philosophy. May I suggest a serie of introduction by Sir Anthony Kenny. He is a great historian of philosophy. Or maybe you may find History of western philosophy by Bertrand Russell interesting because, as I remember, he comment each philosopher he introduced.

Hope to have chance to talking with you.

message 15: by Arkar Kyaw (new)

Arkar Kyaw | 3 comments Nothing concerned with OP, but I have my own questions about how to read philosophy.

do you read the original texts of the philosophers? or explanations/study guides? Which one do you read first?

I think reading the original texts really help understanding of the philosopher, and improve your philosophy itself. But, for me, I had some difficulties reading the original texts. Sometimes, I can't understand the great ideas behind the sentences. (Well, maybe because I'm not a native English speaker). So, I need the companion texts. But I wanna know which to be read first? Study guides or originals? How do you read?

PS. Now I'm reading Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra and having some confusions. Can you recommend any study guides? :D

message 16: by Vipin (new)

Vipin Goyal (vipingoyal) | 5 comments I am reading Ecce Homo of Nietzsche which explains Zarathustra to some extent.

message 17: by Διόνυσος (new)

Διόνυσος Ελευθέριος (dionysos) | 4 comments Here's the superior commentary on Nietzsche's Zarathustra: Nietzsche's Teaching: An Interpretation Of "Thus Spoke Zarathustra". I highly recommend it.

message 18: by Anton (new)

Anton I would highly recommend "Sophies World", very easy to read, a brief introduction, and laid out in such a way that it is accessible to anyone.

message 19: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 4 comments Can someone suggest a good guide to Jacques Lacan and Julia Kristeva? I'm currently reading A History of Literary Criticism: From Plato to the Present and having a tough time understanding the two.

message 20: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 3 comments Can someone please describe briefly "Method of Doubt" by René Deccartes?

message 21: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 4 comments Bookworm wrote: "Can someone please describe briefly "Method of Doubt" by René Deccartes?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesia... - I found it simple and short.

message 22: by Bookworm (last edited Jun 11, 2013 02:55AM) (new)

Bookworm | 3 comments Lit Bug wrote: "Bookworm wrote: "Can someone please describe briefly "Method of Doubt" by René Deccartes?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesia... - I found it simple and short."

Thankyou! It's Simple. But too short for my course.

message 24: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 3 comments Thankyou! These are really helpfull..