The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.6 Melanie's Task: Myth-behaving Greeks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 28, 2011 10:16AM) (new)

Sandy | 15903 comments Mod
30.6 Melanie's Task: Myth-behaving Greeks

I ran into my high school Ancient Greek teacher last week (and no, did not put my car in reverse to do so again, lol), whose class, despite my distaste for the verb tenses, was one of my favorites. My favorite courses were the civilization ones where we learned everything from hygiene to mythology.

Therefore, for this task, you must read 2 books. Go to Dice Roller and roll the dice ONCE and read:

Book A
1. Zeus: a book where a main character is royal, or with a crown/tiara or scepter on the cover (cover must be posted for the cover option).
2. Hera: a book about family or family relationships.
3. Poseidon: a book where a main character works/lives/depends on water (fisherman, ship captain, Navy, Marine, mermaid, pirate,...)
4. Hades: A book where a main character is considered dead (ghost, angel, vampire) or with "ghost", "grave", "cemetery" or "bones" in the title (variations work: i.e. "graveyard", "ghostly",..)
5. Ares: A book where a main character is in the military or with a mercenary outfit or is a veteran.
6. Demeter: A book where a main character is a farmer, rancher or lives off the land.

Book B
1. Aeschylus: read a book considered a tragedy/drama, or a sad book (For some ideas, you can check out Saddest Books1> and Books That Made You Cry, but it is not required that you use a book from one of these lists.)
2. Sappho: Read a romance
3. Herodotus: Read a historical fiction book (set 30+ years before it was written)
4. Homer: Read a fantasy or sci-fi (futuristic setting or set 30+ years after it was written)
5. Socrates: Founder of the dialectic method of learning, teach yourself something new by reading a non-fiction book on a subject of interest.
6. Aristophanes: Read a comic or humorous book. For instance, books from the Best Humorous Books and Books That Made Me Laugh Out Loud lists work, but it is not required that you use a book from one of these lists.
Please explain the connection between your books and the categories when you post, if it is not obvious from the title or cover.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments reserved

message 4: by Sandy (new)

reserved

message 5: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments I am confused about how many dice we are supposed to roll? Are we rolling 1 die once and use the same number for categories A & B? or 2 dice once and use the corresponding dice for A & B?

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments what/where is dice roller?

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sorry folks, for some reason the links didn't come through. I'll fix them

When you go to the link, it will be 2 dice - so roll it once and you'll have the 2 numbers.

message 8: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Ah! Thanks!

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments I got 6 and 1. For Demeter I was thinking of reading Into the Wild and for Aeschylus I was thinking of reading The Time Traveler's Wife.

message 11: by Andreea (last edited Feb 28, 2011 11:22AM) (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 61 comments What exactly does the task mean by 'a romance'? Just any book that concerns itself mainly with love or Mills and Boon material?

message 12: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments For "Zeus" -- does it have to be human royalty, or could it be paranormal/sci-fi, king and queen of another species?

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments For book A I rolled a 6. Would Mudbound work for this task? It appears to be told from a few different perspectives, at least one of whom is a farmer working the land.

message 14: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments I rolled a six and a five.

Would Except for Me and Thee work for the farmer option (#6)? It is about a Quaker couple and their lives as they travel west.

Would Diary of a Modern Day Goddess work for #5 Socrates? "...Daddona shares with readers her joyful, feminine and spiritual self...she shows us how humor is a beautiful tool in the never-ending quest for inner wisdom and reminds readers that laughter is vital to every goddess."

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Amanda wrote: "I got 6 and 1. For Demeter I was thinking of reading Into the Wild and for Aeschylus I was thinking of reading The Time Traveler's Wife."

That sounds great!:-)

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Christine US wrote: "For "Zeus" -- does it have to be human royalty, or could it be paranormal/sci-fi, king and queen of another species?"

Any kind of royalty will do (sci-fi/fantasy) as long as it's humanoid, lol!

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Christina wrote: "I rolled a 2 and a 1. How about Murder by Family: The Incredible True Story of a Son's Treachery & a Father's Forgiveness for Hera and The Book Thief for Aschylus?"

That will work!

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Andreea wrote: "What exactly does the task mean by 'a romance'? Just any book that concerns itself mainly with love or Mills and Boon material?"

Lol... Any book where romance is a main part of the plot.. You don't have to go to M&B or Harlequin if you don't want to (although you could): you could read Outlander, The Time Traveler's Wife, The Bridges of Madison County, or The Girl Who Chased the Moon for example..

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Michelle wrote: "For book A I rolled a 6. Would Mudbound work for this task? It appears to be told from a few different perspectives, at least one of whom is a farmer working the land."

I'll accept it: from the synopsis it seems like the farm is a main part of the story.

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Bea wrote: "I rolled a six and a five.

Would Except for Me and Thee work for the farmer option (#6)? It is about a Quaker couple and their lives as they travel west.

Would [book:Diary of a..."

For the first book (6) if they set up a farm or ranch (anything to do with agriculture) it would work, otherwise, sorry no...

The second book will work if you find it humorous:-D

message 21: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 61 comments Melanie wrote: "Andreea wrote: "What exactly does the task mean by 'a romance'? Just any book that concerns itself mainly with love or Mills and Boon material?"

Lol... Any book where romance is a main part of t..."

I thought so, but I had to make sure since I have heard M&B/ Harlequin often being referred to as romances. Reading M&B/Harlequin makes me feel like I'm turning into my mother - who loves them - and I don't want to feel like that, at least not yet. XD

message 22: by Kathy G. (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:00PM) (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Would The River by Gary Paulsen be good
for 6) "live off the land" Part A?

Thanks

message 23: by Cindie (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:50PM) (new)

Cindie | 1739 comments Ok so I rolled 1 and 3. Can I read The Oracle of Stamboul for B3 (historical fiction)? and for Zeus, can I read Queen Victoria by Christopher Hibbert?The Oracle of Stamboul

message 24: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Can someone tell me, without spoilers, whether or not there is an actual prince in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince that would qualify it for A #1? I am finally getting around to finishing the series!

message 25: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Riona wrote: "Can someone tell me, without spoilers, whether or not there is an actual prince in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince that would qualify it for A #1? I am finally getting around to fin..."

No there is no royalty at all. Sorry.

message 26: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments For part B: 4- does a dystopian setting count as futuristic fantasy/sci-fi? Does any fantasy world count or must it clearly be futuristic?

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Would The River by Gary Paulsen be good
for 6) "live off the land" Part A?

Thanks"

I'll accept it:-)

message 28: by Melanie (last edited Mar 01, 2011 02:20AM) (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Lahni wrote: "For part B: 4- does a dystopian setting count as futuristic fantasy/sci-fi? Does any fantasy world count or must it clearly be futuristic?"

Sorry, I should have clarified: Fantasy (any) OR sci-fi, (which would be in a futuristic setting (space,..) or, if you have dates, set 30 yrs after it was written, i.e: 1984, since it was written in 1949).

Dystopian settings will work as sci-fi

message 29: by Melanie (last edited Mar 01, 2011 02:22AM) (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Cindie wrote: "Ok so I rolled 1 and 3. Can I read The Oracle of Stamboul for B3 (historical fiction)? and for Zeus, can I read Queen Victoria by Christopher Hibbert?The Oracle of Stamboul"

Yes to both:-)

message 30: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Andreea wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Andreea wrote: "What exactly does the task mean by 'a romance'? Just any book that concerns itself mainly with love or Mills and Boon material?"

Lol... Any book where romance is ..."

Lol.. Different tastes:-) I hope you'll find smt you'll enjoy!

message 31: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Hi Melanie-
I rolled a 2,4 and would like to read

It's All Relative and Wicked Lovely - just making sure they work. They both just became available on my library online and I scooped them up quick.

message 32: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Fran wrote: "Hi Melanie-
I rolled a 2,4 and would like to read

It's All Relative and Wicked Lovely - just making sure they work. They both just became available on my library o..."

both work:-D

message 33: by Brenda (last edited Mar 01, 2011 06:59AM) (new)

Brenda | 78 comments I rolled a 2 & 5. for the first book I would like to read

Choosing to SEE by Mary Beth Chapman

This is from a review by "Holly"...
"She shares their early life; their young marriage, Steven's perseverance in moving his career forward, the birth of their three children and the adoption of three daughters from China....This is a simply written, yet moving story of a family who has learn to SEE that the sun always rises and spring always comes and God is always with us, especially in our deepest moments of grief and despair."

Will this work?

message 34: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Brenda wrote: "I rolled a 2 & 5. for the first book I would like to read

Choosing to SEE by Mary Beth Chapman

This is from a review by "Holly"...
"She shares their early life; th..."

Definitely:-D

message 35: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 78 comments Thanks!

message 36: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Lahni wrote: "Riona wrote: "Can someone tell me, without spoilers, whether or not there is an actual prince in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince that would qualify it for A #1? I am finally getting..."

well damnit. that's okay, i had it somewhere else anyway, but it would be nice to fill this task!

message 37: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments haha, i wasn't sure about the rolling of 1 die and using the same number till i read the posts above, and what do i get... Two 2's. =)

message 38: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments would Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult works for A.2?

message 39: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Aleksandra wrote: "would Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult works for A.2?"

Definitely (sounds like a great book, btw!).

message 40: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I rolled two 3's so could I read Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid" for option A and Clockwork Angel for option B?

message 41: by Tanya Patrice (new)

Tanya Patrice (tanyapatrice) | 150 comments Would a "werewolf" work for Book A - task 4 - where the main character must be "dead."

message 42: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I rolled two 3's so could I read Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid" for option A and Clockwork Angel for option B?"

Yes for both:-D

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Tanya wrote: "Would a "werewolf" work for Book A - task 4 - where the main character must be "dead.""

Sorry, no. Werewolves aren't "technically" dead, just shapeshifters..

message 44: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments For A2: family: can I use The Red Tent?

message 45: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Lahni wrote: "For A2: family: can I use The Red Tent?"

I'll accept it:-D

message 46: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Melanie wrote: "Lahni wrote: "For A2: family: can I use The Red Tent?"

I'll accept it:-D"

Great. Thanks!

message 47: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments For A4 would you accept Shadowland by Meg Cabot? The main character sees ghosts, and since the book is about a ghost out to get her, I'd assume the ghost is one of the main characters?

message 48: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments travelgirlut wrote: "For A4 would you accept Shadowland by Meg Cabot? The main character sees ghosts, and since the book is about a ghost out to get her, I'd assume the ghost is one of the main characters?"

If I remember the Mediator series correctly, one of the MCs is a ghost, so yes, it'll work:-D

message 49: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 148 comments I rolled a 6 for both books and was wondering if I could read Dark Life as the character's family in the desciption farms the sea floor. Its a bit unconventional but thought it might work.

message 50: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Kathleen wrote: "I rolled a 6 for both books and was wondering if I could read Dark Life as the character's family in the desciption farms the sea floor. Its a bit unconventional but thought it migh..."

It's unconventional, yes, lol... I'll accept it since it's the only form of farming available in the future. However, if it had been mermen farming the sea floor I would have had to say no:-D Enjoy

« previous 1 3