Start by marking “Keeping Faith” as Want to Read:
Keeping Faith

Keeping Faith

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  79,241 ratings  ·  3,838 reviews
“A triumph. This novel’s haunting strength will hold the reader until the very end and make Faith and her story impossible to forget.”
Richmond Times Dispatch

“Extraordinary.”
Orlando Sentinel

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult (Nineteen Minutes, Change of Heart, Handle with Care) comes Keeping Faith: an “addictively readable” (Entertainment Weekly)
Published February 21st 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published April 22nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping Faith, please sign up.
Kady She was with Kenzie.
She was with Kenzie.
It talks about how she wants a coke, but Kenzie tells her no. Faith then asks for her to give them five minutes for a coke. After she got discharged she was mostly with Kenzie.(less)

·  79,241 ratings  ·  3,838 reviews

Start your review of Keeping Faith
Alana
Nov 06, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
11/10/08

Ugh!! I finished this last night because I couldn't bear to spend another day of my life with this in my purse. So why did I read it? For the same reason that many young women read books they might not be thrilled with... I had to read it for my book club (...which normally picks much more intelligent and interesting books). As I mentioned to the person selecting the book when she solicited comments about her short list of options, I've never been tempted to read a Picoult book. I doubt
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I gave this 5 stars many years ago but it’s now a 3 star which is still fine. I was thinking this was the other of her books. Anyhoo ....

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Michelle
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This blew we away, why have I never heard of stigmata before - i was fascinated from the get go.

This is the story of Faith, after her parents separation she starts to talk to an imaginary friend which rapidly escalates to healing and other miracles which leaves everyone around her questioning - is Faith talking to God?

Really really enjoyed the subject matter in this one.
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: two-star
Jodi Picoult is an author I keep returning back to again and again. Her books have the unique ability to ask complex questions of your own beliefs and prejudices; normally I devour anything she writes and some of my favourite books belong to her. However, Keeping Faith just didn’t hold its momentum for me.

Recently separated from her husband, Mariah and her strong willed mother are attempting to raise Mariah’s seven year old daughter Faith with as minimum disruption as possible. Mariah is chroni
Melissa
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Ay yi yi..ok, no more Jodi Picoult books..I always say that and then end up reading more...I WANT to like her books...and they always have sooo much potential...then, always...always always...they disappoint...I was especially excited about this one because of her latest interveiw she talked about this book and how it's her favorite and most challenging so far because of it's ground breaking subject matter...

Stigmata? Are you serious Jodi? Ay yi yi. This book wasn't so much about having and exce
Bethany
Jun 07, 2007 rated it liked it
I loved this book while I was reading it, and I was very disappointed by the ending. It was a fast read, it was engaging, I absolutely didn't want to put it down.

A mother who has just discovered that her husband is cheating on her (several years after another cheating incident lead her to a suicide attempt) finds out that her daughter has an imaginary friend--God...who happens to be a woman. Faith performs some miracles and a media circus rises up around her--reporters camped out on the lawn, e
Heather
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Heather by: Marianne
This book was pretty good, overall. Definitely kept you reading, wondering what was going to happen next and, of course, WHY!? There were a few things that bothered me about it though. I think there were too many questions left unanswered. I understand that maybe this was purposeful, but I didn't like it, personally. I was also put off by the fact that the story was told 'about' several different characters, in the third person, but ONE character was told in first person. It didn't make sense an ...more
Suzanne
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

Absolutely fascinating. I love the mixed religion, religion in court, stigmata, psychological and medical, and family dynamics themes that arise while reading this book. This was one of my favorite Jodi Picoult books so far. My marathon continues with Change of Heart!

My short and sweet overall: interesting story and entertaining characters!
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
Keeping Faith is primarily a story about a young girl who suddenly starts seeing God and performing miracles. My impression was that readers would be allowed to come to our own conclusions about this (whether it was real, invented by Faith, invented by her mother for attention, etc.), but it doesn't work out that way: clearly, within the context of the story, Faith is healing people, experiencing stigmata and so forth. The story of how her mother Mariah, the local churches and the media react to ...more
Erin
Jul 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: adultfiction
When Mariah and her daughter walk in on Mariah's husband with another woman, she thinks that this is the ultimate shock in her life...that is, until her daughter starts speaking in Bible passages. In any other child, this may not be startling; however, Mariah has raised her seven-year-old with no religion present in the household.

Things go from strange to miraculous as Faith begins spontaneously healing people, developing stigmata, and speaking with her "guard." Could Faith truly be speaking wit
Bev
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sonja Arlow
3 ½ stars

The story is a bit formulaic as most Jodi Picoult books are but sometimes that makes for comfort reading.

The story: Seven-year-old Faith is caught in the middle of her parents crumbling marriage and in much need of a friend to confide in. That is when her imaginary friend steps in. Not long after, miracles start to occur around Faith, and her mother starts to realize that Faith is not only speaking to "God", but that her God is a woman. And then the media and church gets wind of this…

Th
Dem
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow
BigTreesAndBigBooks
Compared to her other ones, so and so.
Sandy Harvey
Feb 13, 2021 rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of Jody Piccoult, but I have to say this is the least favorite of any of her books that I’ve read so far. I didn’t like the premise of the book to begin with and the only character in the book that I really liked was...well, I guess I really didn’t find any of the characters relatable. I found many Parts of the plot unbelievable, starting with the supposed Stigmata of the little girl. I also found the development of the mother and the journalist Ian to be a little far-fetched. f ...more
Britta
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
"I figured that motherhood would be something that descended naturally, the same way my milk came in - a little painful, a little awe-inspiring, but part of me now for better or for worse. I waited patiently... any day now, I told myself, I am going to wake up and know what I am doing."

"My mother used to tell me that when push comes to shove, you always know who to turn to. That being a family isn't a social construct, but an instinct."

"Being a father... is not AT&T commercial, no simple feat of
Discoverylover
This book had a bit of a slow start, but I was hooked by the ending... I was up till 2am with 'just a little bit more', until I had finished it!! One of those ones where I wish there were half stars, so this could be a three and a half!

"As Mariah White struggles with depression her seven-year-old daughter Faith seeks solace in a new friend - a friend who may or may not be imaginary. Faith talks to her 'Guard' constantly and begins to recite passages from the Bible - a book she's never read. Afte
Johara
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading House Rules and experienced the powers of Jodi Picoult’s style of writing, I had to read another book for her… so I picked up Keeping Faith.

This one is different… it’s more spiritual as it’s about a little girl who has an imaginary friend that she called her "Guard". It’s up to you to understand that this “Guard” is not really a Guard, as the girl starts developing the powers of healing, and becomes the center of attention in her neighborhood.

There is love and dedication from her m
Emmy
Jan 09, 2021 rated it liked it
This is one of the few Jodi Picoult novels I haven't read yet, so I thought I would add it to my list. It has some very conflicting reviews so I was interested to see what made people have such varied opinions.

Overall this book had more positives for me than it had negatives. The storyline, in true Jodi fashion, was unmatched. Super creative but also pushing the envelope. This book talked a lot about religion, which even now can be a taboo subject because it stirs up a lot of opinions and emoti
Rissa
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Faiths Dad left her and her mom Mariah and Mariah is not doing well. Mariah is depressed, lonely and miserable and she doesnt bond with Faith.
Suddenly, Faith having no religious background starts hearing things from God. Once the media and her father finds that out he wants back in his daughters life because hes greedy.
Mariah just wants whats best for Faith but not shes stuck in a custody battle and doesnt know if she will be able to keep Faith.

Obviously being Jodi Picoult it was wonderful. T
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-fiction
So it took me about a month and a half to read this book. Usually that would mean that it was so bad that I just couldn't get through it. To the contrary, I thought it was a good book (not great, but good), just a little too slow for me. There were so many times I wanted to read, but I was bored with it, so I just put it down. I thought the story line was a good one, but there was so much unnecessary story added to it, that it seemed to drag on and on.

I thought Ian's press conference at the end
Andrew
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This novel is more about the ideas and questions than about characters or plot. The characters are unoriginal, and if you like a neat linear plot that resolves everything at the end, this book will disappoint you there, too.

However, the strength of the novel -- and a strength much more important than any weaknesses -- is the authenticity with which questions about 'faith' and God are approached. Here, too, the lack of complete resolution works in the novel's favour.

Given that considerable stren
Thomas
Jun 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
“Keeping Faith” is about seven year old Faith White, who has been conjuring visions of what seems to be God. Actually, this book is not just about Faith, but about her entire family as well. After Mariah White, Faith’s mother, catches her husband cheating on her with a woman named Jessica; that is when Faith begins envisioning God. So afterwards a whole bunch of legal drama occurs, including Colin, Faith’s father, wanting custody of her, Ian Fletcher, a television star atheist who has a sudden i ...more
Suzie Quint
I've only read one other Picoult book but I've already figured out that what they're not just stories. They're stories that induce you to think about their topic. Picoult likes to leave the door open just a bit, so the endings tend to be a bit ambiguous. The intent, I'm sure, is to force you mull over what the story means to you. In that light, the story was a success for me, but I'm not sure I really liked it because I'm not completely sure if I interpreted the ending the way the author intende ...more
Jessica Ashe
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Very interesting & thought provoking

Jodi picoult never ceases to grasp my complete attention with her writing and this book was no exception. She writes with such passion and knowledge about her subjects you can't help but praise her for all the research she has done even if you don't agree with the subject matter.

Keeping faith will evoke many feelings some of which are anger, passion, love, respect, frustration, and pure joy. These are just a few.

I am not even a mother to a human child and I
Beth
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Kinda typical J.P. novel...lawyers trial at the end, etc. It wasn't bad and I like to read her books every now and then as a "break" more serious literature. Her books are an easy and fast read and her characters are interesting and (generally) likable. This book had a unique twist in that the 7 year old child supposedly "sees God" and performs "miracles" - good topic, made for some interesting reading about how crazy religion really can be and how it divides people. I liked how the Rabbi and th ...more
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I'm not a very religious person but I enjoyed listening to this book. I'm not sure I would have kept on going had I been reading the book as opposed to listening to it. The narrators did a great job bringing the book to life for me. Nonetheless, it was a great story! Jodi Picoult hasn't disappointed yet! Highly recommend this audiobook. ...more
Adham Kamar aldeen
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This book just took me aloot of time !! it is totally not what i expected " not in a good way " , over dramatic !!!, but i don't want to hide the fact that it tickled the back of my brain in several beautiful points !! ...more
Play Book Tag: (Trim) Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult - 2 stars 1 13 Dec 12, 2019 05:29PM
Play Book Tag: Keeping Faith. 3.5 Stars 2 14 Apr 29, 2016 11:04AM
Keeping faith 10 110 Apr 21, 2013 04:32PM
Christianity & "Keeping Faith" 15 150 Jan 17, 2013 12:41PM
book report 8 49 Oct 06, 2012 01:06AM
What Books Would You Recommend After Reading This? 4 44 May 12, 2012 11:05PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Keeping Faith 1 4 Apr 28, 2012 12:34PM

• Leaving Time: A Novel by Jodi Picoult - Review Summary
  • The Pact by Jodi Picoult Summary & Study Guide
  • Me Since You
  • Children Who Kill: Profiles of Pre-Teen and Teenage Killers
  • The Girl on the Train: A Novel by Paula Hawkins | Complete Summary & Analysis With Bonuses!
  • The Complete Ravenscar Trilogy: The Ravenscar Dynasty, Heirs of Ravenscar, Being Elizabeth
  • Where in Time Is Carmen Sandiego?
  • The Butterfly Groove: A Mother's Mystery, A Daughter's Journey
  • The Memory Keeper's Daughter
  • The Snow Creek Hauntings: A Riveting Haunted House Mystery Boxset
  • Tremor
  • Vinyl Cafe Diaries (Vinyl Cafe, #4)
  • Mimi Malloy, At Last!
  • Dark River Road
  • Ashes to Ashes (The Haunting of Blackburn Manor, #6)
  • Here We Come (Aggie's Inheritance, #3)
  • For Keeps (Aggie's Inheritance, #2)
See top shelves…
Jodi Picoult is the author of twenty-six novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers Small Great Things, A Spark of Light, Leaving Time, The Storyteller, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister’s Keeper. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband and three children.

Her new novel, THE BOOK OF TWO WAYS, is