Start by marking “Keeping Faith” as Want to Read:
Keeping Faith

Keeping Faith

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  75,318 ratings  ·  3,646 reviews
“A triumph. This novel’s haunting strength will hold the reader until the very end and make Faith and her story impossible to forget.”
Richmond Times Dispatch

“Extraordinary.”
Orlando Sentinel

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult (Nineteen Minutes, Change of Heart, Handle with Care) comes Keeping Faith: an “addictively readable” (Entertainment Weekly)
Published February 21st 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published April 22nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping Faith, please sign up.
Kady She was with Kenzie.
She was with Kenzie.
It talks about how she wants a coke, but Kenzie tells her no. Faith then asks for her to give them five minutes for a coke. After she got discharged she was mostly with Kenzie.(less)
Nikole I think that, maybe, for a little while that she will. Because she associates her mother's attention to this act. But from beginning to end, Mariah is…moreI think that, maybe, for a little while that she will. Because she associates her mother's attention to this act. But from beginning to end, Mariah is a different person. I think, given time, that Faith will slowly see that her mother is there for her always, and not only when she is "talking to God".(less)

·  75,318 ratings  ·  3,646 reviews

Alana
Nov 06, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
11/10/08

Ugh!! I finished this last night because I couldn't bear to spend another day of my life with this in my purse. So why did I read it? For the same reason that many young women read books they might not be thrilled with... I had to read it for my book club (...which normally picks much more intelligent and interesting books). As I mentioned to the person selecting the book when she solicited comments about her short list of options, I've never been tempted to read a Picoult book. I doubt
Melissa
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Ay yi yi..ok, no more Jodi Picoult books..I always say that and then end up reading more...I WANT to like her books...and they always have sooo much potential...then, always...always always...they disappoint...I was especially excited about this one because of her latest interveiw she talked about this book and how it's her favorite and most challenging so far because of it's ground breaking subject matter...

Stigmata? Are you serious Jodi? Ay yi yi. This book wasn't so much about having and exce
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: two-star
Jodi Picoult is an author I keep returning back to again and again. Her books have the unique ability to ask complex questions of your own beliefs and prejudices; normally I devour anything she writes and some of my favourite books belong to her. However, Keeping Faith just didn’t hold its momentum for me.

Recently separated from her husband, Mariah and her strong willed mother are attempting to raise Mariah’s seven year old daughter Faith with as minimum disruption as possible. Mariah is chroni
Bethany
Jun 07, 2007 rated it liked it
I loved this book while I was reading it, and I was very disappointed by the ending. It was a fast read, it was engaging, I absolutely didn't want to put it down.

A mother who has just discovered that her husband is cheating on her (several years after another cheating incident lead her to a suicide attempt) finds out that her daughter has an imaginary friend--God...who happens to be a woman. Faith performs some miracles and a media circus rises up around her--reporters camped out on the lawn, e
Heather
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Heather by: Marianne
This book was pretty good, overall. Definitely kept you reading, wondering what was going to happen next and, of course, WHY!? There were a few things that bothered me about it though. I think there were too many questions left unanswered. I understand that maybe this was purposeful, but I didn't like it, personally. I was also put off by the fact that the story was told 'about' several different characters, in the third person, but ONE character was told in first person. It didn't make sense an ...more
Suzanne
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

Absolutely fascinating. I love the mixed religion, religion in court, stigmata, psychological and medical, and family dynamics themes that arise while reading this book. This was one of my favorite Jodi Picoult books so far. My marathon continues with Change of Heart!

My short and sweet overall: interesting story and entertaining characters!
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
Keeping Faith is primarily a story about a young girl who suddenly starts seeing God and performing miracles. My impression was that readers would be allowed to come to our own conclusions about this (whether it was real, invented by Faith, invented by her mother for attention, etc.), but it doesn't work out that way: clearly, within the context of the story, Faith is healing people, experiencing stigmata and so forth. The story of how her mother Mariah, the local churches and the media react to ...more
Erin
Jul 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: adultfiction
When Mariah and her daughter walk in on Mariah's husband with another woman, she thinks that this is the ultimate shock in her life...that is, until her daughter starts speaking in Bible passages. In any other child, this may not be startling; however, Mariah has raised her seven-year-old with no religion present in the household.

Things go from strange to miraculous as Faith begins spontaneously healing people, developing stigmata, and speaking with her "guard." Could Faith truly be speaking wit
Bev
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sonja Arlow
3 stars

The story is a bit formulaic as most Jodi Picoult books are but sometimes that makes for comfort reading.

The story: Seven-year-old Faith is caught in the middle of her parents crumbling marriage and in much need of a friend to confide in. That is when her imaginary friend steps in. Not long after, miracles start to occur around Faith, and her mother starts to realize that Faith is not only speaking to "God", but that her God is a woman. And then the media and church gets wind of this…

The
Jeanne Adamek
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Meghan
Apr 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Vasia
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Compared to her other ones, so and so.
Britta
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
"I figured that motherhood would be something that descended naturally, the same way my milk came in - a little painful, a little awe-inspiring, but part of me now for better or for worse. I waited patiently... any day now, I told myself, I am going to wake up and know what I am doing."

"My mother used to tell me that when push comes to shove, you always know who to turn to. That being a family isn't a social construct, but an instinct."

"Being a father... is not AT&T commercial, no simple fea
Discoverylover
This book had a bit of a slow start, but I was hooked by the ending... I was up till 2am with 'just a little bit more', until I had finished it!! One of those ones where I wish there were half stars, so this could be a three and a half!

"As Mariah White struggles with depression her seven-year-old daughter Faith seeks solace in a new friend - a friend who may or may not be imaginary. Faith talks to her 'Guard' constantly and begins to recite passages from the Bible - a book she's never read. Afte
Johara
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading House Rules and experienced the powers of Jodi Picoult’s style of writing, I had to read another book for her… so I picked up Keeping Faith.

This one is different… it’s more spiritual as it’s about a little girl who has an imaginary friend that she called her "Guard". It’s up to you to understand that this “Guard” is not really a Guard, as the girl starts developing the powers of healing, and becomes the center of attention in her neighborhood.

There is love and dedication from her m
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-fiction
So it took me about a month and a half to read this book. Usually that would mean that it was so bad that I just couldn't get through it. To the contrary, I thought it was a good book (not great, but good), just a little too slow for me. There were so many times I wanted to read, but I was bored with it, so I just put it down. I thought the story line was a good one, but there was so much unnecessary story added to it, that it seemed to drag on and on.

I thought Ian's press conference at the end
Rebeka Várnagy
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Uh guys. It took all my efforts to actually finish this book instead of just setting it aside. I already feel so bad because I really don't like saying mean things about novels which someone obviously spent a lot of time working on, but in all honesty I don't have too many nice things to say.
I loved The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult and so I thought I'd love this story as well, but it wasn't the case at all. I don't read contemporary too often, but the premise sounded interesting and I convinced m
Andrew
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This novel is more about the ideas and questions than about characters or plot. The characters are unoriginal, and if you like a neat linear plot that resolves everything at the end, this book will disappoint you there, too.

However, the strength of the novel -- and a strength much more important than any weaknesses -- is the authenticity with which questions about 'faith' and God are approached. Here, too, the lack of complete resolution works in the novel's favour.

Given that considerable stren
Suzie Quint
I've only read one other Picoult book but I've already figured out that what they're not just stories. They're stories that induce you to think about their topic. Picoult likes to leave the door open just a bit, so the endings tend to be a bit ambiguous. The intent, I'm sure, is to force you mull over what the story means to you. In that light, the story was a success for me, but I'm not sure I really liked it because I'm not completely sure if I interpreted the ending the way the author intende ...more
Jessica Ashe
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Very interesting & thought provoking

Jodi picoult never ceases to grasp my complete attention with her writing and this book was no exception. She writes with such passion and knowledge about her subjects you can't help but praise her for all the research she has done even if you don't agree with the subject matter.

Keeping faith will evoke many feelings some of which are anger, passion, love, respect, frustration, and pure joy. These are just a few.

I am not even a mother to a human child an
Beth
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Kinda typical J.P. novel...lawyers trial at the end, etc. It wasn't bad and I like to read her books every now and then as a "break" more serious literature. Her books are an easy and fast read and her characters are interesting and (generally) likable. This book had a unique twist in that the 7 year old child supposedly "sees God" and performs "miracles" - good topic, made for some interesting reading about how crazy religion really can be and how it divides people. I liked how the Rabbi and th ...more
Adham Kamar aldeen
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This book just took me aloot of time !! it is totally not what i expected " not in a good way " , over dramatic !!!, but i don't want to hide the fact that it tickled the back of my brain in several beautiful points !!
Jessica
It was okay. I thought the characters in My Sister's Keeper were better written, but this book is older than that one. The relationship between Ian and Mariah was kind of annoying. The portrayal of autism is probably very offensive.
Missy
Jun 03, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
could not get into - one of main characters was so depressed I stopped reading it
Mel Ann
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feared for Mariah and Faith. I teared up from worry, the pain, the not knowing what would come next. I was not expecting that ending and I was seeing the worst case scenario at every turn of the page.

I am not a religiously educated person nor am I a non believer of God, Jesus, The Virgin Mary. Jodi Picoult did something with this book. She really did her research on every aspect and made the reader feel like they were going to gain something in keeping Faith.
Stella Marie
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
February 24, 2013
I started reading some of Jodi Picoult's books and I must say, I'm loving it. I love Keeping Faith and I love how I always can relate to a book that I choose. Keeping Faith is about broken marriage. When I started reading this book, all I could think about is my family. What if I had to go through broken marriage of my parents? In this book, it's like one of those book that gives you a slap in the face; realizing that when it comes to broken marriage, we should never dwell on it
Lain
Nov 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
There is so much to recommend this book -- a unique, unexplored topic, great writing, realistic characters. The story of Faith, a seven-year-old who suddenly seems to be talking with God and working miracles, keeps readers enthralled as we attempt to figure out if she's the real thing or a charlatan. But as with several of Picoult's books, there are glaring holes in the plot that beg to be poked at and prodded. While I'm willing to suspend disbelief in favor of a great tale, I'm only wililng to ...more
Alyssa
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Thomas
Jun 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
“Keeping Faith” is about seven year old Faith White, who has been conjuring visions of what seems to be God. Actually, this book is not just about Faith, but about her entire family as well. After Mariah White, Faith’s mother, catches her husband cheating on her with a woman named Jessica; that is when Faith begins envisioning God. So afterwards a whole bunch of legal drama occurs, including Colin, Faith’s father, wanting custody of her, Ian Fletcher, a television star atheist who has a sudden i ...more
Play Book Tag: Keeping Faith. 3.5 Stars 2 14 Apr 29, 2016 11:04AM
Keeping faith 10 110 Apr 21, 2013 04:32PM
Christianity & "Keeping Faith" 15 131 Jan 17, 2013 12:41PM
book report 8 48 Oct 06, 2012 01:06AM
What Books Would You Recommend After Reading This? 4 42 May 12, 2012 11:05PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Keeping Faith 1 4 Apr 28, 2012 12:34PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Keeping Faith 2 6 Jan 18, 2012 01:41PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • White Oleander
  • Speak
  • Novels by Jodi Picoult
  • The Secret Between Us
  • Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult Summary & Study Guide
  • Her Mother's Shadow (Kiss River #3)
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Body Surfing
  • Breaking Her Fall
  • Cage of Stars
  • Saving Max
  • Magic Hour
  • Happiness Sold Separately
  • The Kindness of Strangers
Jodi Picoult is the author of twenty-four novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers Small Great Things, Leaving Time, The Storyteller, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister’s Keeper. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband and three children.

Her new novel, A SPARK OF LIGHT, is available in hardcove
“The truth doesn't always set you free; people prefer to believe prettier, neatley wrapped lies” 1032 likes
“I don't think we get a choice in who we fall for," Ian whispers. "I think we just do.” 683 likes