Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > You Know You've Read Too Much Austen When...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 97 comments You know you are reading too much Jane Austen when you start to dream you *are* one of the characters you love so much. For example, last night I had a dream in which I was Elizabeth, sandwiched between both Colonel Fitzwilliam and Mr. Darcy in a church service that Mr. Elton was officiating. They were each clamoring for my attention (with Mr. Darcy sitting closer to me than what would be considered proper) while I was busy trying to keep myself *awake*, as Mr. Elton was becoming quite long-winded.

As this is not the first time I've dreamt about being Elizabeth, perhaps that ought to tell me I might just be reading too much Jane Austen/Austen continuations and that it might be time to read something else. LOL!

message 2: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina lol . . . funny! The Borders by us is going out of business so I browsed with the family . . . my husband kept coming up to me with every book that had Mr. Darcy in the title . . it was so funny - of course I had read many of them already, but he told me he notices them now because of me.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 97 comments Good husband! :-)

Despite my intention to read something totally unrelated to Mr. Darcy (or any other Austen character), what did I do last night? Yup. I started reading another P&P variation. ;-)

message 4: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina I love that!!! Isn't it so true? I ended up buying Lady Vernon and her Daughter and Capt. Wentworth's Diary yesterday. . . Happy Reading!

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (alicia-bing) I know I've read too much JA when I start inserting random Jane phrases or vocabulary into my speech. I have caught myself saying things like "indeed" and "impropriety". Luckily, no one else seems to notice. :/

message 6: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Alicia - me too . . . my favorite is "you tantalize in vexing me" . . I say that to my boys all the time.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 97 comments Alicia wrote: "I know I've read too much JA when I start inserting random Jane phrases or vocabulary into my speech. I have caught myself saying things like "indeed" and "impropriety". Luckily, no one else seems ..."

I use "indeed" all the time. LOL! For me, I know I've read too much JA when I start using the word "fancy", as in, "I fancy myself actually becoming Elizabeth". ;-)

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  Consiglio-Wolff (jrzgirl_1967) | 30 comments I know I have read too much Jane when it is all consuming of my mind and my heart and when I look at the chaos of our world today and say aloud....I wish I was in Jane's world where civility is not dead!

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan I agree, Lisa Anne - there are days you just wish there were "manners" and "proper behavior" in society!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  Consiglio-Wolff (jrzgirl_1967) | 30 comments Oh gosh...manners and proper behavior I don't think exsist these days. All you have to do is turn on the news to see it for example Lindsey Lohan, Charlie Sheen and now add Christina Aguliara to the mix. It is sad not to be recognized for talent these days but for your personal indiscretions! So sad!! Give me Jane's world. Granted there is Wickham and Willougby but even though they were being libertines they were somewhat gallant about it. If that makes sense. :-)

message 11: by Amalie (last edited Mar 05, 2011 02:51AM) (new)

Amalie Yes, a very serious discussion indeed! ;)

Does having nightmare's about Lady Catherine and Mr Collins are the new exchange students in your class count???

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 97 comments Oh my! That *would* be a nightmare! LOL!

message 13: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 25 comments Alicia wrote: "I know I've read too much JA when I start inserting random Jane phrases or vocabulary into my speech. I have caught myself saying things like "indeed" and "impropriety". Luckily, no one else seems ..."

I even think in Jane vocabulary sometimes! I know I've been reading too much Aunt Jane when I start comparing the people around me to her characters. My mom is Elinor Dashwood, my dad is Mr. Darcy, my sister is Kitty Bennet, and my brother is Frank Churchill. I also have dreams of Northanger Abbey and dear Henry Tilney.

message 14: by Georgie (new)

Georgie | 29 comments You know you've read too much Austen when you download the Jane Austen font on your mac.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 97 comments Georgie wrote: "You know you've read too much Austen when you download the Jane Austen font on your mac."

There's a JA font for the Mac???? Where?????

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) You know you've read to much Austen when you start talking to yourself in a British accent.

message 17: by Georgie (new)

Georgie | 29 comments Sorry, I have no idea where the font came from but it's definitely out there somewhere.

message 18: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments ...you fill a prescription for someone with a name similar to "Caroline Bingley" and that is all you can think of while the basket sits there. Strangely enough it was followed by a basket for a patient whose last name was Bennett.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 97 comments Shea wrote: "...you fill a prescription for someone with a name similar to "Caroline Bingley" and that is all you can think of while the basket sits there. Strangely enough it was followed by a basket for a pa..."

That's funny, Shea.

message 20: by Samantha McNulty (new)

Samantha McNulty Lisa Anne wrote: "Oh gosh...manners and proper behavior I don't think exsist these days. All you have to do is turn on the news to see it for example Lindsey Lohan, Charlie Sheen and now add Christina Aguliara to th..."

It totally makes sense! I long for days when men knew how to treat a lady and women knew how to behave.

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan Georgie wrote: "Sorry, I have no idea where the font came from but it's definitely out there somewhere."

Google it and you will find it - free! Now my emails are going be VERY classy.....

message 22: by Vavarra (new)

Vavarra | 10 comments Georgie wrote: "You know you've read too much Austen when you download the Jane Austen font on your mac."

There's a Jane Austen font. thanks, I have to get that.

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) When you are reading a Jane Austen book and you have become so absorbed in the book, that once you come back to reality, you realize you are in the 21st century. Such is life, I guess. Never knew about the Jane Austen font. Must look into this.

message 24: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (sewtechnicolor) | 52 comments How about when you hear a word or phrase that reminds you of a quote from one of her novels (or movie adaptations), and then that quote gets stuck repeating in an English accent in your mind? I often have "You are a great deal too apt to like people in general, you know," (the way Lizzy says it in 2005 P&P) or "I have never been thus treated in my entire life!" (the way Lady Catherine says it in 2005 P&P) stuck in my head. :)

message 25: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Jenny wrote - 'You know you are reading too much Jane Austen when you start to dream you *are* one of the characters you love so much. For example, last night I had a dream in which I was Elizabeth, sandwiched between both Colonel Fitzwilliam and Mr. Darcy in a church service that Mr. Elton was officiating. They were each clamoring for my attention (with Mr. Darcy sitting closer to me than what would be considered proper) while I was busy trying to keep myself *awake*, as Mr. Elton was becoming quite long-winded.'
Hilarious! i have had dream like that before *cough cough* ;)

'Despite my intention to read something totally unrelated to Mr. Darcy (or any other Austen character), what did I do last night? Yup. I started reading another P&P variation. ;-) '
how can you pick anything other than Austen, or Austen variation!!!

Alicia wrote - 'I know I've read too much JA when I start inserting random Jane phrases or vocabulary into my speech. I have caught myself saying things like "indeed" and "impropriety". Luckily, no one else seems to notice. :/ '
Thats exactly what i do! all the time - my friends tell me to stop talking like i am Jane Austen!!! ;)

Princess Katie wrote - 'You know you've read to much Austen when you start talking to yourself in a British accent.'
That isn't a problem for me... ;) i am english!!!

Shea wrote - '...you fill a prescription for someone with a name similar to "Caroline Bingley" and that is all you can think of while the basket sits there. Strangely enough it was followed by a basket for a patient whose last name was Bennett. '
I always link names to other people i know!! and try to link my life to othe stories...

Gemma wrote - ' I even think in Jane vocabulary sometimes! I know I've been reading too much Aunt Jane when I start comparing the people around me to her characters. My mom is Elinor Dashwood, my dad is Mr. Darcy, my sister is Kitty Bennet, and my brother is Frank Churchill. I also have dreams of Northanger Abbey and dear Henry Tilney. '
I agree about the vocab and about the linking characters to my personal aqauaintances ;)

Lisa Anne wrote - 'Oh gosh...manners and proper behavior I don't think exsist these days.'
My gosh do i wish they were, i long for a Darcy or Knightly or Wentworth and generally just the manners and correct, deliate behaviour!!!i think my favourite action wish i really want to happen to me... would be meeting someone and they take my hand and kiss it. LOVE THAT!!!!! <3 <3 <3

Robin wrote - 'When you are reading a Jane Austen book and you have become so absorbed in the book, that once you come back to reality, you realize you are in the 21st century. Such is life, I guess. Never knew about the Jane Austen font. Must look into this.'
I totally agree - i hate it!!!i don't want to come back to reality and i wanna stay there!!!

Kristin wrote - 'How about when you hear a word or phrase that reminds you of a quote from one of her novels (or movie adaptations), and then that quote gets stuck repeating in an English accent in your mind? I often have "You are a great deal too apt to like people in general, you know," (the way Lizzy says it in 2005 P&P) or "I have never been thus treated in my entire life!" (the way Lady Catherine says it in 2005 P&P) stuck in my head. :) '
I do this all the time... ;)

Well my opinions have come out in through my comments on the other comments :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 27, 2012 08:21PM) (new)

When you say to your mother,"I believe that book is not unlike the one we are currently perusing",without even thinking twice:)Believe it or not, I have a penpal who is a fellow Austenite and we write our letters Austen style;)Austen obsesser much?

message 27: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 5 comments I love that I can read this section of the board and not feel so abnormal for loving Austen so much. :-)

For me I know I have been reading too much Austen when I slyly trick my friends into using her phrases or some of the slang from that era. My best friend now says things are "capital."

And when I babysit my friend’s new baby that is what I read to him. I am determined to make him into a modern Captain Wentworth!

message 28: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 80 comments Am I the only one who has more then one copy of her books?

message 29: by Danielle (last edited Feb 28, 2012 11:33AM) (new)

Danielle | 5 comments Nope I have multiple copies. I have ones I loan out and ones I read. I also have copies that are just for show because the covers are so nice.

message 30: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Noo.I have loads of copies and copies on my iPod !!! As want to buy a matching set of them all with beautiful covers to not be read. Anyone know of any gorgeous looking ones!?!

message 31: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments I have all of Austen's novels in the Barnes & Noble collector editions and also have her complete works on my Nook.

A little girl in my son's school is named Lydia Bennett. At first I thought, "Oh! Maybe her parents are Austen fans. Then I thought no, if they were Austen fans they would not have named their daughter Lydia Bennett."

message 32: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments 'A little girl in my son's school is named Lydia Bennett. At first I thought, "Oh! Maybe her parents are Austen fans. Then I thought no, if they were Austen fans they would not have named their daughter Lydia Bennett." '

haha - yeah , if they knew her character they wouldn't have named her that!!!

message 33: by Lois (last edited Feb 28, 2012 04:44PM) (new)

Lois (loisbennett) Soph wrote: "Noo.I have loads of copies and copies on my iPod !!! As want to buy a matching set of them all with beautiful covers to not be read. Anyone know of any gorgeous looking ones!?!"

The Penguin Clothbound Classics ones are GORGEOUS! (hardcover, but cloth, if that makes sense?)

Persuasion:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Persu...

Mansfield Park:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Mansf...

Pride & Prejudice:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Pride...

Sense & Sensibility:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Sense...

Northanger Abbey:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/North...

Emma:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Emma-...

message 34: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 80 comments Lois those are beautiful.I have been wanting to get a set of those for a while.I love the Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey covers the best.

message 35: by Leonora (new)

Leonora Marie (leonoramarie) You know you've read too much Austen when you start thinking in "Austenspeak" and get offended when your boyfriend doesn't open doors or pull out chairs for you.

BTW, I love those Penguin books! I have Middlemarch by George Eliot as one of those, and it is gorgeous!

message 36: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Thanks so much Lois !! LOVELY!!! <3 <3 <3

Leonora wrote - 'You know you've read too much Austen when you start thinking in "Austenspeak" and get offended when your boyfriend doesn't open doors or pull out chairs for you. '
For me it is even worse - i am looking for someone who will do that for me!! and stand up when i enter and kiss my hand... and *slaps self* snap out of it!!! ;)

message 37: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (juleseemimi) | 95 comments I quote JA a lot but people don't realize it. Just today I told a sad colleague that all I have to offer is my real (**internal dialogue** though unavailing) concern.

Some asked earlier if we have multiple copies. I sure do. And although I have them all on my Nook (and paperbacks and one hard copy), this weekend I was in a bookstore and had a nearly-religious experience looking at and touching a hard cover illustrated copy of Emma. :)

message 38: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (juleseemimi) | 95 comments Soph wrote: "'A little girl in my son's school is named Lydia Bennett. At first I thought, "Oh! Maybe her parents are Austen fans. Then I thought no, if they were Austen fans they would not have named their dau..."

My daughter is Lydia. I LOVE the name. Her great-grandmother was also Lydia. Her older sister is Eleanor - not Elinor :)

message 39: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments haha!! well my middle name is Jane :D

message 40: by Lois (new)

Lois (loisbennett) My last name is Bennett... it's odd seeing it in P&P with the last T missing!

message 41: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Haha! I can imagine ... ;)

message 42: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (finfansand) | 54 comments I thought buying (and playing) the Pride and Prejudice board game from Bas Bleu years ago made me a crazed Janeite, but I knew I was certifiably insane when I bought the entire 2010 BBC "Emma" soundtrack for my iPod. (It is the only complete album I've ever purchased on my iPod; I usually just buy single songs.) Within a second or two of each song, I know exactly what scene it's from. Sigh....

message 43: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 5 comments There was a P&P game? Wonder if it can still be bought. Would be interesting to see.

message 44: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (finfansand) | 54 comments It was made by a company called The Ash Grove Press. It's very old-school and simple but, given the right circumstances, it's fun!

message 45: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 48 comments I know I've seen S&S too many times when I reply to my OH's suggestion for a restaurant with "Excellent notion".

message 46: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Sandhi - what do you do in this game :D??
And also I love the latest Emma!!!

message 47: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (finfansand) | 54 comments In the Ash Gove P&P game, you try to get your two characters (you choose from four couples, like Eliza and Daryc, Lydia and Wickham, etc) to the parish church to marry before the other players do.

There are trivia questions about the book that you have to answer correctly to earn tokens, and there are also Regency Life cards that either reward or punish you, sort of like the Community Chest cards in Monopoly. But the real object is getting to the church faster than the others. It takes a while to get going but true P&P fans don't mind!

message 48: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Wow that sounds amazing!! I want it! Love it - get to the church before the others ;)

message 49: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (finfansand) | 54 comments Yeah, but with only four couples to choose from, someone is always stuck being Mr. Collins and Charlotte! :)

message 50: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments well - it would be a bit of fun to be them ;)

« previous 1