Iron Crowned (Dark Swan, #3) Iron Crowned discussion

Payback

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mara (new) - added it

Mara I am so furious about what both Kiyo and Dorian did to Eugenie, especially Kiyo. I can't believe I read the first two books and the beginning of the 3rd book not knowing that Kiyo was going to try to kill Eugenie. It was so painful to read the ending of Iron Crowned. I think Eugenie deserves revenge on Kiyo, Dorian, and Maiwenn. Here's what I think should happen in the next book:

Eugenie should kill Kiyo (even though that would be really hard) first. Then she should go to Maiwenn, and use the Iron Crown to sever Maiwenn from her land. I don't know what will happen to Luisa, but it is probable that in the future she will be a threat because of her kitsune heritage.
Even though I think Eugenie deserves her revenge, I think that she needs to stop being an idiot and terminate her pregnancy.
I can't believe that Dorian would be such a jerk to her. I think Eugenie should keep her distance from him, and focus on gaining all the power she can. I don't want her to conquer all of the gentry world and the human world, but she needs to let everyone know that they can't mess with her. She needs to scare people off from trying to fool her, kill her, or manipulate her.

I feel so angry and indignant on Eugenie's behalf.

Carole-Ann Mara - grrrrr, so totally agree with you !

I was disappointed with this 3rd book, and couldn't really get over Eugenie's agression/vacilation - WTF

Dorian and Kiyo BOTH angered me in their attitude towards Eugenie, although she didn't help sometimes :(

I do like Richelle's writing, so I'll persevere. But if I get annoyed again, maybe I'll abandon this series. (Actually, that could be a big deal - I do not like to dump good authors !!)

message 3: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. You guys are funny. I got really angry at the end of Iron Crowned as well, however, most of my anger was towards Eugenie. I will explain in a sec.
I knew Kiyo was a bastard the moment I found out the reason he got involved with Eugenie was because he was doing Maiween a favor. To be honest he was the most manipulative of them all. He played Eugenie's fear of losing her humanity really well. Also, he didn't avenge Eugenie when he had the chance. What kind of boyfriend is that? But he doesn't hesitate to kill his own children. And all based on a prophecy that may not come to pass. Kiyo needs to die and by Eugenie's hand.
Maiween, I don't buy her good girl act for even one second. She is up to something. I do hope Eugenie strips the land from her.
Dorian, I really cannot be mad at him. He never hid his intentions to anyone. And he did give Eugenie good advice that she refused to listen to and got screwed because of it. Yes, he tricked her into getting the Iron Crown. Not the biggest of sins, since he cannot even use the damn thing anyways. He was just trying to help Eugenie and she if she is just too stubborn to see it, then she should be tricked. That is what you do with kids who don't want to eat their veggies, even though it's good for them. You trick them, right?
So, yeah, Eugenie pissed me off by going back to freaking Kiyo without even bothering to break up with Dorian. Low blow there. She also pissed me off by just accepting that Kiyo was spying on her. I couldn't believe she wasn't bothered by it. So, I absolutely loved when Kiyo tried to kill her. I almost did the I told you so little dance. It served her right. Now I just hope she learned from her mistakes and started making the right decisions.

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) That is what you do with kids who don't want to eat their veggies, even though it's good for them. You trick them, right?

LOL. I was also upset with Dorian for manipulating her, but it does make more sense when you put it that way.

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee I think that that Kiyo should die but Eugenie should stay with Dorian because they work better together. Also, I don't think that she she terminate the pregency. The thingy says what it says but if she raises the kid right, she can prevent it (hopefully). Lastly, I loved the book. Richelle had a lot of twists and turns in the book that left me guessing, just the kind of book I like. If you guys like mysteries read "Heat Wave" by Richard Castle.

ஐAndreaஐ Michelle I totally agree with you!!! I knew Kiyo was a douche bag, I was more pissed off at Eugenie for having sex with him while she was still with Dorian then at any other point in the book. Dorian was always true to who he is and never pretended to be anyone else.

I hope Eugenie comes to her senses in the next book. I hope somehow those babies are Dorian's. I hope she stays with Dorian and kills Kiyo.

Carole-Ann Although I think Dorian is a sleeze-bag, at least he is up-front about it, so possibly can be forgiven in the long run. (I hope so, 'cos he is quite yummy !)
But Kiyo is a sleezier sleeze-bag 'cos he lies too much for me 'feel' anything for him (self-opinionated, self-rightious, arrogant person that he is!).
I'm hoping Eugenie keeps the babies, 'cos I think she can out-do the prophesies.......
Keep writing Richelle - I'm here all the way ! :)

message 8: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. I don't think Dorian is a sleaze-bag. He is a leader and he recognizes that he has to make hard choices sometimes. At this point he hasn't done anything appalling and he never hid who he is. The only sleaze-bag in this story is Kiyo who pretended to be all noble but was spying on Eugenie the whole time and tried to kill her in the end.

message 9: by Suz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Suz Curiously, I'm pissed off at Richelle Mead for writing yet another too-stupid-to-live heroine.

Iron Crowned sucked. Richelle Mead writes heroines that get more stupid as they get more laid.

message 10: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Suz wrote: "Curiously, I'm pissed off at Richelle Mead for writing yet another too-stupid-to-live heroine.

Iron Crowned sucked. Richelle Mead writes heroines that get more stupid as they get more laid."

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of stupid heroines and it seems it's now the norm in UF. Can you recommend any books where the heroine has some brains?

Brandy *Ahviel* I was so pissed at Iron Crowed I spent the year looking forward to it only to be so pissed. I mean come on you broke up with Kiyo because he would not defend you and Dorian does. For crying out loud sure Dorian has is own agenda but come on Eugenie knew that so it should not have come as a surprise to her and the to be with Kiyo without getting an explanation really pissed me off. It just seemed out of character for me.

I will still read the next book but I mean I am just now really disappointed in the whole series because of this

message 12: by Suz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Suz Michelle wrote: "Can you recommend any books where the heroine has some brains?..."

1. Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest Bloodshot by Cherie Priest, first in the new series Cheshire Red Reports. Urban Fantasy. OCD Vampire International Thief and her drag queen ex-Navy SEAL side kick.

2. The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook, first in the new series The Iron Sea. Steampunk Fantasy but with serious PNR elements and sex scenes. The characters are delightfully broken and some of the imagery for the populace is chilling.

3. The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, #1) by Clay Griffith The Greyfriar by Clay & Susan Griffin, first in the new series Vampire Empire. I suspect the romance will be slow evolving and heart-breakingly impossible. Very well written book, vamps that are seriously scary, the heroine has some prejudice to overcome and others think she's a wilting flower - but they are wrong. Steampunky UF.

4. Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire The October Daye series by Seanan McGuire. There are currently four out in the series with another being released this year. EXCELLENT UF - full complement of fae characters, very well flushed out world and lore.

5. First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones The Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones. UF but there is a romance and some hot scenes. Freakin' hilarious.

Also Rans: I really enjoyed the Downside Ghosts series by Stacia Kane, but must admit that the heroine frustrated me a bit. She redeemed herself by the third book and I'm looking forward to the next ones, but she's a drug addict and denial is her thing (and I have low tolerance for denial). She's not stupid though, just does some stupid things sometimes.

And of course Kim Harrison's Hallows/ Rachel Morgan series. The Cassie Palmer series and the Dorina Basarab series by Karen Chance. The Chicagoland Vampires series by Chloe Neill. Both the Kate Daniels and The Edge series by Ilona Andrews.

Most of these are UF, not necessarily PNR. However, if we're talking strong and smart heroines I have to point out book #20 in Christine Feehan's Dark series (Carpathians). Yes, I know, nearly all her heroines are so cliche' it's difficult to stomach. However, book #20 in the series is called Dark Slayer with a female heroine and although it's PNR it's an excellent book with a good love story, good smexy times, and the heroine (and the hero for that matter) are broken people that I HAD to respect. It's hands down the best book in the entire series.

I could go on. Or you could have a look at my shelves and ask me anything you like. :)

Cherie Okay, I really hope she gets with Dorian. As some have said, he hasn't really hidden anything about his intentions. He is straight forward and i think he really does love Eugenie. Also, she should keep the kid. Am i the only one who noticed that the kid is said to rule Earth. No one said he would be a bad ruler. Some one has to do it. Dorian and Eugenie both rule land, what's so bad about her son ruling some land of his own? Again, no one said he was going to be a bad ruler. And i agree that if you raise him right, whats the problem?

message 14: by M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M. Suz wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Can you recommend any books where the heroine has some brains?..."

1. Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest Bloodshot by Cherie Priest, first in the new series Cheshire Red Reports. Ur..."

Thanks Suz. Some of the books you suggested where already in my To-read list. The Greyfriar and the Iron Duke sound really interesting.

Patrícia Schmidt Rodrigues Mara wrote: "I am so furious about what both Kiyo and Dorian did to Eugenie, especially Kiyo. I can't believe I read the first two books and the beginning of the 3rd book not knowing that Kiyo was going to try ..."

Agreed but she lack the mind and cold decisions of Anita Blake, she needs a bit of therapy, to restructure herself, nade up her mind and find out if Kiyo was on free trying to kill her of if Maiween had somehow controle over him, just in case she'll kill him, I don't need her regrets about love, Dorian may have used her, but did he had another choice? Did he?

Becky Come on, we all knew Dorian was manipulative so it wasn't a suprise when it all went down. Kiyo I was never rooting for. His loyalties were questionable from the start. However, I did not think he would go to the lengths suggested to keep Eugenie from bearing children...what scum.

Iyanna I didnt like Eugenie in this book,she wasnt the strong and confident women that she was before,She became soo Love-sick over Kiyo that she didnt take a look at what was going on around her.She knew she couldnt trust kiyo with (maiween said this...,maiween said tht...)

Julie Why is everyone complaining that Dorian manipulated her? She always knew what Dorian was all about, so it shouldn't have surprised her. Kiyo on the other hand, needs to be neutered for what he put her through.