Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > I'm Danie, and I'm on "Book-Buying Restriction".

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) You heard (read?) it right. I'm on Book-Buying Restriction.

What does that mean you may ask yourself? Well, basically, my dad (who I live with) has decided that the bookshelf in my room, the bookshelf in the living room, a stack in the bathroom, a couple on the washer and dryer, some in the kitchen, and some in his room as well means I have too many books. So, I'm on restriction.

I can buy three books a month. Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to limit myself to three books a month!? I buy three books a week!

Anyways, I figured this would be a fitting place for me to be.

It's going to be interesting though...I'm engaged, and my fiancee and I are getting our own place in June. I wonder how long it will be before he puts me on restriction???

message 2: by Teawench (new)

Teawench Hopefully never. I wouldn't want to be with any guy that tries to put me on a book buying restriction. Luckily, my husband understand this :-P

message 3: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) Hahah, I highly doubt he will. He's pretty accepting of the fact that I have an addiction. I think the farthest he'll go is ask me to donate some books to make room for more. Other than that, he'll be okay with it.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Danie, here's a thought. Could you keep buying and just store your new purchases at your finace's place until you two get your own place together? I just hate to think of a fellow book buyer going through withdrawal. :-)

message 5: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) I would, but he's in the military and is stationed in Oklahoma - and I live in New York. Though that's a good idea. I'm going to see him for our anniversary next week, maybe I'll bring a box of books and leave them there...

message 6: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (liisbooks) hahahaha Danie! My boyfriend is about to put me on a book buying restriction too! He can't understand why I keep buying more books before I finish the ones I currently have. He just doesn't understand the beauty of books.

message 7: by Nikos (new)

Nikos (jeffakos) | 1 comments It seems to me that people in general don't understand (let alone appreciate) books.
Being in a book buying restriction though, can be good! Not over-buying books, may cause your fiance to understand your addiction, or even embrace it!

message 8: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) It's been a challenge, not buying anything. I bought three books a couple days ago off half.com and immediately wanted to buy more. Although, my wallet does feel a lot heavier these days, which is a nice feeling.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Holmes i ran out of bookshelves. so i had switch an eReader it saves me gas and not having pay for shipping.

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria Hahaha! Danie, your post made me laugh, although I hope it would have been with you, not at you. I feel for you! I live on my own, so my family doesn't have to put up with my book buy addiction anymore. And my boyfriend actually is so supportive that he's almost aiding in my addiction by taking me to bookstores on weekends! But I'm on self-imposed restriction, because I have NO money. Ha! So I definitely feel your pain! Good luck to you!

message 11: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) Michelle, I have a Kindle. Didn't help much, just started buying books on there, hahah.

Maria, don't worry, it was definitely with me! Even if I don't have money, I find ways to buy some more. It's bad, lol.

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (yersinia) | 1 comments I had to put myself on book buying restriction since I am currently unemployed. It's a sad thing because I now can't even visit amazon or go to the used book store down the street since I would end up paying for a book or six and not have gas money. :(

message 13: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Brittany wrote: "I had to put myself on book buying restriction since I am currently unemployed. It's a sad thing because I now can't even visit amazon or go to the used book store down the street since I would end..."

Sorry to hear that Brittany. :( Maybe you can at least satisfy your need to read with visits to the library. Keep your nose stuck in a book when you have free time and you won't be surfing the net looking at book selling websites. Hope you find a job soon so you can start buying again.

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah McBride (ideally_hannah) Have you tried paperbackswap.com? Great way to trade out some old books for new ones. Might be a way to get around the no "buying" more than three books a month clause. Plus, if he sees you're getting rid of some, he might relent.

He never need know you're simply swapping them for more. ;-)

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (sirenicangel) | 6 comments I haven't bought books in like...almost two months now. :( I'm on restriction due to moving back to New Mexico (I'm currently in Birch Bay, WA) but I do like to go into used bookstores or into Barnes&Nobles just so I can at least be around new books and jot down in my notebook for books I want to buy lol. Instead of a TBR list I have a TBO list and it's growing a lot bigger than my TBR one >.<. I can't wait until I move and am able to start adding to my collection. I know I have a long enough TBR list to tie me over, but I love the thought of having a huge book collection and I love showing off all the books I own, it gives me a sense of pride I guess...wow I am addicted lol.

message 16: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (nikkehsky) My husband totally understands my book buying addiction, he suffers from it too! Before my father-in-law built us a lovely bookshelf, we had piles upon piles of books just stacked in the spare bedroom.

Only problem is, our budget has imposed its own book-buying restriction on us >:

We're trying to look on the bright side and thinking of it as an opportunity to read all the books we bought that we never got around to reading. And of course, we slip occasionally (read: once every month or two) and splurge buy a whole bunch more.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (akinderman) My husband mentioned that I had a lot of books in my To-read pile and that it was stacking up at an alarming rate, so I agreed to hold back on buying and swapping until I caught up a bit. It makes me feel less anxious to know I am catching up.

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth (vanburren) | 69 comments Last month I went on a book-buying frenzy (I ended up buying 71 books for the month!!), so I was not going to buy any for March. BUT. . .then my sweetie asked me if I could find some books that I want if he gave me $100 to blow in the bookstore. . . Um. . . well, yeah! So, we'll see if he was just teasing me or if he's actually planning on giving me $100 for books! I feel so bad for those of you that are having to go on a restriction!

message 19: by Nyla (new)

Nyla (nilly21) | 24 comments I haven't gone completely crazy yet with the book buying, but my boyfriend is starting to give me the "why so many books" look. We have a VERY small house, and when I mean small, I mean SMALL. (It's tech. a one bedroom house, with a den just off the living room.) But we turned the den into a bedroom for our son so it's a 2 bedroom house & it's as small as an apartment :(. I'm working on a way to get some bookshelves in here because at the pace that I have been buying books (and found some down at the thrift store for 10-30 cents!) I'm gonna need them!

message 20: by Jack (new)

Jack (echoicglory) | 41 comments I give your fiancee a week... I'm kidding, I'm sure he'll manage your book craze somehow. I cringe at the idea of my mom threats even now (and she have around the same amount of book as I do!), so, I feel your pain. She was going to burn my book if I don't find a place to put them -- needless to say, I had to stack it under my bed... Ughhh... And now I can only buy around five a month or she'd skin me alive... I need to get a bigger house -- more place to hide my books hahah...

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I know of quilters who have hidden bags of fabric in the trunk of their cars. lol How about one of those under the bed storage boxes or plastic containers to hold books? I stack some of my bookcase shelves 2 high and 3 deep with paperbacks. :)

message 22: by Nessa (new)

Nessa My husband thought that I should take it easy when it comes to buying books too. He said I should "try" to limit the amount of books that show up in the mail each month by about half. So I agreed...joke's on him, he has NO idea how many I get on a regular basis for my E-Reader, LOL

message 23: by Zoltaire (new)

Zoltaire | 2 comments I can't imagine putting myself in a book buying restriction, especially since I can get used books for twenty-five or fifty cents in used bookstores. I need books. It's a cheap way to travel and vicariously experience interesting adventures. Sometimes, if I really want a book I've heard about, I treat myself to an ebook that cost no more than $5. So many options now.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura Sometimes I think putting a 'restriction' of some sorts when it comes to buying books can make things worse. Like I'll be more interested in buying more than usual just because I'm restricted..If that makes sense.

I wish you good luck though :D!!

message 25: by Zoltaire (new)

Zoltaire | 2 comments Laura wrote: "Sometimes I think putting a 'restriction' of some sorts when it comes to buying books can make things worse. Like I'll be more interested in buying more than usual just because I'm restricted..If t..."

That's funny. A book buying withdrawal. It's like going on a diet. The more you count calories the hungrier you get.

message 26: by Holly (new)

Holly (darklightlullabye) | 13 comments Jennifer wrote: "I haven't bought books in like...almost two months now. :( I'm on restriction due to moving back to New Mexico (I'm currently in Birch Bay, WA) but I do like to go into used bookstores or into Barn..."

Jennifer, HOW DO YOU SURVIVE?!?! I couldn't go two months! I feel my tongue swelling up, just at the thought... just kidding, but that has to be the worst.

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jsills3) | 54 comments My husband thinks I have a ridiculous amount of books. Maybe it is an addiction but think about this, there are so many worse things to be addicted to.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura Zoltaire wrote: "That's funny. A book buying withdrawal. It's like going on a diet. The more you count calories the hungrier you get. "

Hahaha, exactly, exactly!