Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Reply Button?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17335 comments Mod
What do you think about it? Do you use it? What do you think about when other people use it?

I tend to skip and skim over the whomever said:"... bullshit. Sometimes. Unless it's been craftily/cleverly done. But too much of it I think mucks up the thread.
Do you agree? Or am I being weird?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Sally wrote: "What do you think about it? Do you use it? What do you think about when other people use it? "

I like it when it's well used. A lot of our threads tend to digress, and the quoted reply helps keep track of who is responding to what. That said, I usually edit the quoted part so that it only includes the pertinent information.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Sally wrote: "Or am I being weird?
"

Yes. But I like that in a person.

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I use the reply button mostly when there are rapid comments being made on various aspects of a subject, and I want to avoid crosstalk or misdirected responses. In that situation, it seems helpful.

message 5: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman BunWat wrote: "I like it, because sometimes I'm responding to something someone said about six posts back, and it gets confusing if I don't indicate that somehow. I think it can definitely be used well or badly ..."

Agreed. Which is why I'm using it now.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Ken wrote: "Sally wrote: "Or am I being weird?
"

Yes. But I like that in a person."

I thought it was a rhetorical question :-)

message 7: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments I do the same as Bun. It keeps your response in context.

message 8: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i use the bunwat method.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Agree with all.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Jonathan wrote: "I use the reply button mostly when there are rapid comments being made on various aspects of a subject, and I want to avoid crosstalk or misdirected responses. In that situation, it seems helpful."

This.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) BunWat wrote: "Me too, I copy the part I'm actually responding to, and paste it in so its clear which post, and which part of that post I'm talking about."

I do this sometimes as well, if I want to highlight a specific point that I'm responding to.

(looks around for another post to reply to so I can muck up the thread)

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24266 comments Mod
Sarah Pi wrote: "A lot of our threads tend to digress, and the quoted reply helps keep track of who is responding to what. That said, I usually edit the quoted part so that it only includes the pertinent information. "

I do what Sarah Pi does. See? I just did. I edited out Sally's previous comment, which Pi was responding too, because it was just "background noise" and not necessary to my response.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sally wrote: "What do you think about when other people use it? "

I usually don't interrupt my regular train of thought to think a new thought.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (last edited Feb 24, 2011 02:44PM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17335 comments Mod
I edited out Sally's previous comment, which Pi was responding too, because it was just "background noise" and not necessary to my response.

*writhes*

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I should add that I love Sally's topics, especially when they border on bizarre and off the wall like this one.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I love Sally's whatever.

message 17: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments I think it would be helpful to bring in an outside panel of experts to further explore the intricacies of the reply tool. Perhaps Mr. Wizard could address the practical, technical aspects. Richard Rorty could delve into the philosophical questions often raised, and Noam Chomsky could outline the origins of the tool in cognitive linguistic terms.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ken wrote: "I think it would be helpful to bring in an outside panel of experts to further explore the intricacies of the reply tool. Perhaps Mr. Wizard could address the practical, technical aspects. Richard ..."

What Ken said ....

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Larry wrote: "I love Sally's whatever."

Sally, please cover your whatever. The sock monkey is salivating all over TC.

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael BunWat wrote: "I like it, because sometimes I'm responding to something someone said about six posts back, and it gets confusing if I don't indicate that somehow. I think it can definitely be used well or badly ..."

I like it, too. It makes the conversations easier to follow.

message 21: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments **waiting for anyone to be foolish enough to take Bun's bait and reply hostilely to #24**

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I like using it when it is appropriate.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Phil wrote: "**waiting for anyone to be foolish enough to take Bun's bait and reply hostilely to #24**"

Wasn't Bun Bait one of those worst book covers?

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

BunWat wrote: "I do dislike it when someone uses reply in a hostile manner though. If someone quotes me back to myself and then addresses me directly, especially in a hostile way, I tend to feel like, wait a sec..."

This most likely wouldn't bother me, as I tend to forget what I've typed within an hour of typing it.

message 25: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 25, 2011 03:56PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't like that when you hit reply sometimes it only shows half the message and then I have to figure out if that's enough or if I should cut and paste it or just not hit reply at all and hope people can figure out I'm replying.

Also, I don't like that sometimes I don't hit reply and then someone replies before me and everything's out of context.

I know. I'm whiny.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Whiny.

message 27: by Phil (new)

message 28: by Jammies (new)

Jammies BunWat wrote: "I do dislike it when someone uses reply in a hostile manner though. If someone quotes me back to myself and then addresses me directly, especially in a hostile way, I tend to feel like, wait a second, you don't need to quote me to me, I know what I said, I'm the one who said it!! "

Oh yeah? Well pthhhbbbbt!

(Happy now, Phil?)

Phil wrote: "Larry wrote: "I love Sally's whatever."

Sally, please cover your whatever. The sock monkey is salivating all over TC."

This made me really truly LOL.

To answer the original question, yes, Sallers, I do use the reply button.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Whinny the Poop.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments It's awesome to have "the" in one's name. I meant to say something else, but Larry's post has shot it out of my brain.

The Rock.
Alexander the Great.
Rachel the bunny.

message 31: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Larry the cable guy.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Git 'er done.