Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > When Do You Throw It Away?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe (attometer) I would probably toss it. I would be more inclined to try to rescue it if it were something a little more difficult to find.

message 2: by Suefly (last edited Feb 23, 2011 05:19PM) (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I agree, since it's for a good cause, and as long as the integrity of the book itself is intact, it's work a go at being repaired. Good luck...

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
When I volunteered at a charity book sale we would throw out anything that was mildewed, or irredeemably filthy. It was surprising how dirty some of the donated books were. They had obviously been sitting uncovered in someone's garage or attic for years. We would wipe them with a cloth, but some were so dirty even wiping them didn't make them salable for $1 or 50 cents. We threw those out, unless they were so old we wanted to have an antiquarian dealer look at them.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments myles - could i send some books for this project?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I throw it out if I know the condition is too poor for the thrift store to sell it.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "When I volunteered at a charity book sale we would throw out anything that was mildewed, or irredeemably filthy. It was surprising how dirty some of the donated books were. They had obviously bee..."

Yeah, you have to get rid of the mildewed ones because that'll spread to other books.

I am interested to see what you can do with this, Myles. It's true it's an easy enough book to replace, but it would probably be replaced with one of those eye-straining paperbacks and this would be better.

Just gave away some extra books to a charity thrift store or I'd send you some also. My dad worked at a prison in South Dakota where they CLOSED THE LIBRARY due to "budget cuts."

message 7: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have thrown out two books that were in perfectly fine condition. they were worth nothing, i already owned them, and the thrift store forced them on me. they're better off as potential new books, or toilet paper.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Myles wrote: "Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "myles - could i send some books for this project?"

Oh wow, definitely, I can pm you the college's address if you like. The collection's going on until the end of the..."

ok, send me an email (kevinsprinkle@comcast.net) or PM and let me know some info about the deal. also let me know the types of books you think are right for this. i can prob send a box.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments What kind of evil is this! Throwing books out!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I can say I've never thrown a book out. Donated, sold, given away. Never trashed.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Good luck with the re-binding and the larger project, Myles. That's a cool thing you're doing.

message 12: by Jaimie (last edited Feb 24, 2011 01:07PM) (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments Recycle it. A few months ago I had to throw a book in the recycle bin that I received through paperbackswap.com. It reeked so badly of smoke. It was disgusting. I tried to save it. I Fabreezed the hell out of it and left it out on my back porch for over a week. It didn't help. I'm still ticked about it because it's a hard one to find. Applied Mythology

message 13: by Annette (new)

Annette Hart | 171 comments We've had a few books - especially children's - that I have had to throw away due to catastrophic accidents involving wine, coffee or even sick. We have tried to save them but it's hopeless when the pages stick together and the print comes off. If they're real favourites I will consider buying them again.

message 14: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Myles, what kind of books are you gathering? I'll see what I've got if you tell me what you need.

message 15: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3401 comments Good for you, Myles. Dog lovers rescue dogs; book lovers rescue books.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Looks like you did a good job.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Nice job Myles.

message 18: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Well done, Myles.

message 19: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Myles, that rocks, and I think you should definitely keep it as opposed to a mass-produced trade pb.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.