Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > I hate being late and usually I am on time if not early...yay or nay?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I hate being late and usually I am on time if not early.

Yay or nay, for you?

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Yay. Nothing makes me twitchier than being late.

message 3: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments how does your wife feel about that?

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I hate being late but sometimes I am. The other night I was driving to work, preoccupied with my elderly cat who has gone senile and has almost reached the clearing at the end of the path, when I heard a "Ding!" and looked down at my gas gauge to realize I was out of gas. Since I had another 30 miles to go I had to pull off the interstate at a very busy Exxon where some bitch in a minivan events conspired to delay me for a good fifteen minutes. I had a lot of anxiety about my subsequent lateness. My dad is a passive-aggressively late person and that's one trait of his I try very hard to avoid.

message 5: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Yay! If I say I'm gonna be there at 7, I'll be there at 6:30.

Unless it's a movie. For some reason, if the movie starts at 5, I'm gonna get there at 4:55. Drives my friends nuts.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17334 comments Mod
I'm either twenty minutes early or five minutes late. I try to shoot for the former when it is work things and school and such.
This has gotten to be quite a situation what with the little human I tote around with me and all.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes...the worst ten minutes of the day are trying to get all three kids off their asses and on the way to school. I start them way early now so we have enough time.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I am probably the most anal retentive about being early everywhere I go.

message 9: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Yay Yay.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Fifteen minutes late for nearly everything.

I'm more likely to be late if the place I'm going is close to where I am currently. If it's a long drive, the odds are better that I'll be on time.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I used to have this friend who was always extremely late. She wore it like some kind of badge of honor, and never made any attempts to be on time. She'd be running 40 minutes late for something, and just say "They know I'm always late, it's part of my charm. They don't mind" ... uh, yes they did!

One of my best friends is like this. Now he's married, and I trust his wife more than him on time issues, so I arrange everything with her.

message 12: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i try to be on time, to the minute. sometimes that works, sometimes i'm five minutes early or late.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Yay. I'm early and then wait around to be on time.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments If your early your on time if your on time your late. Something one of my college professors use to say. I'm always early whenever I go somewhere, and if I tell you I'll be there at 9:00 I'm there at 8:45. Unless of course I have my husband with me. He doesn't believe in being early.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Oh, I'll wait in my car until said time.

message 16: by Jammies (new)

Jammies My mother is chronically fifteen minutes early, and it drives me NUTS. There is nothing worse than having someone waiting for you while you're frantically trying to brush your teeth and put on your makeup and the dog is going bonkers and so on. I try to be on time, but tend to follow the "give them a half-hour range" so I'm not showing up too early or too late.

message 17: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I wonder if my mother felt like Jammies in the message above. :)

I remember Sunday mornings headed to church. We'd all be in the car except for Mom who'd be putzing around, taking the garbage out, checking the chicken in the oven, wiping a little spill on the counter, etc. Dad would be impatiently calling, "Are you coming Mother? We're going to be late!" My dad hated to be late and I learned that from him.

My friends say that you can set your watch by me. Even if it's to go shopping on a Saturday, if I say I'll be there at 10:00, I'll be there at 10:00.

message 18: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 23, 2011 11:14PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I have an aversion to people that show up more than 5 minutes early to a function at my house. No matter how well prepared I am, there is always something that I'm still putting out, fixing, cooking, etc.

My parents will show up sometimes a half hour early. This is a huge improvement from years past. They used to drop me off at youth group up to an hour early sometimes, before the doors were even open.

My in-laws are the opposite and usually show up about a half hour late. They are my kind of (laid-back) people.

My mom and I go out for lunch on a weekly basis. 90% of the time I'm ready and waiting when she comes to pick me up. Sure enough though, the 10% of the time when I'm struggling to find a lost shoe or something will be the time she shows up 10 minutes early and keeps honking from outside until I frantically stick my head out the door and give her the finger. No, not that finger...the "just a second" finger.

message 19: by Heidi (last edited Feb 24, 2011 10:42AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments OHHHH my goodness, I'm sure I'd piss most of you off. I don't like to be late, it stresses me out, and I usually am. I'm typically running late for most events, especially if they're early in the morning. I have a ridiculously hard time getting up in the morning (and I'm only up right now because I'm super stressed out about moving)...

I've always wanted to do a sleep study because I suspect I have a legitimate sleep disorder of some kind. Also, I set alarms for everything I do for which I'd be terribly embarrassed if I was late. If something is scheduled for 6, I try to put that time out of mind and shoot for 5:30, and will typically end up there for 5:58.

And now that I've moved into a super quiet office with no windows, I have a hard time knowing what time it is. Yesterday, for instance, I thought it was 9ish when it was 11, then I wasn't hungry for lunch until I looked up at a clock and saw that it was 2 and I had to be at a meeting at 3:15, so I warmed my lunch in a hurry, and ate while I was getting ready for the meeting AND trying to put my packets together to drop off at the print shop for binding. The last bits to be printed were edited and approved at 3:05, I printed and collated, added them to the packets, told my boss I'd have to be a bit late if I was going to get them to the print shop yesteday, walked v. fast to my car, drove to print shop, handed them to the print shop guy @ 3:12, had to fill out an order form, drove back to the parking deck, scurried as quickly as possible to my meeting, was there for 3:25, and dammit I just abhor being late!

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments My daughter runs late for everything! Her friends do the tell her an earlier time thing on her all the time.

My mom is so erratic. She may show up an hour early, she may show up half an hour late, she may show up on time.

We run a bit to the tardy side of things now, my wife always thinks she can get one more thing done before she has to get ready.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) The first time I visited The Librarian I showed up a little early. I usually try to avoid doing that -- but we had said "about 1 o'clock" and I shamefully took it literally.

Sorry, Jackie.

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17334 comments Mod
I would do that too Larry.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I like to be on time or early. It's a big internal struggle, because I clearly have the lateness gene.
I remember trying to leave from NYC for the Adirondacks every summer, and watching my dad come up with one stupendous delay after another. One year we were literally out the door, car double parked outside, when he decided that if somebody wanted they could climb out the window of the 7th floor hallway, make their way around the windowsills of the seventh floor, and break into our apartment. So we had to wait two hours while he installed bars on the windows.

I get irritated by people with fluid ideas of time, though, so I try not to be one. It stresses me out terribly when our other guitarist runs in the door just as we're supposed to soundcheck. Especially now that I can track him on his iPhone. He's supposed to be there already, and then I see his girlfriend check in on foursquare at his house or at a restaurant.

message 24: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I am usually a little early. If I'm ever late it's rarely my fault. I was raised to believe that tardiness is insulting.

I had a friend who was chronically late, all the time. I began to adjust everything around her schedule. I talked to her about it but she never got better. Then she left us hanging for over two hours and never bothered to call. That was it. Three years of that shit was enough. I never spoke to her again.

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24262 comments Mod
We have a chronically late person in my family and she is told to arrive at a function a half hour before everyone else (though she doesn't know it).

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Those are good rules to remember Bun.

My mother-in-law is never on time by several hours. I have learned not to count on her for anything, but my husband has trouble with this. He keeps being disappointed whenever she doesn’t keep her word. *shakes head*

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My friends and I used to conspire against my ex that way. If we arranged for dinner at seven thirty, we'd tell her it was at seven. I would be with her, actively pushing to get out the door for seven, knowing it wasn't going to happen but we'd be on time for the real time.