Book Haven discussion

General > Read Each Month..

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (mrsjaimepy) I am new to the group and just want to make sure I am understanding the dynamic properly. Can someone please explain what the routine is. For instance, the books selected for March, do I read one or both? After we finish the book is there a thread where the book is discussed? Please help! Thanks a bunch :)

message 2: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Jaime wrote: "I am new to the group and just want to make sure I am understanding the dynamic properly. Can someone please explain what the routine is. For instance, the books selected for March, do I read one o..."
There are always at least 2 group reads per month. You can participate in both, one, or neither. It is completely up to you. :) Since I put up polls every month, everyone in the group gets to vote for their favorite. Sometimes that book wins, and sometimes it might be a book you are not interested in. Since there are always at least two group reads, chances are you will like at least one of them. :)

There is a folder called "Group Reads", which is where the discussions take place. If someone hasn't put a thread up yet, you can start one.

Also, if you want to suggest group reads for the polls... you can go into the group bookshelf and add books to the "suggestions for group reads" shelf. :)

message 3: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (mrsjaimepy) Okay great! Thank you so much for informing me! I am super excited :)

message 4: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments you can suggest books from any genre to be a monthly read or there is also a folder for "buddy reads". One or two ppl read the same book and discuss it. I tried MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE but it wasn't me.

message 5: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments so for march wat are we reading?

message 6: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (mrsjaimepy) The March books are "Alice I have Been" & "A Lonely Death" You can read both, one or none. I plan on reading just "Alice I have Been" :)

message 7: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments i have to agree w u.. that snds more like one of the books id read. even thou ill prob end up readin the other one too. lol. so we start 2moro on it rgt?

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (mrsjaimepy) I believe you can read it at any point in the month of March.

message 9: by J.D. (new)

SANDRA wrote: "so for march wat are we reading?"

There are actually 3 Group Reads this month. One of the polls was tied between two books, so I just decided to put up all three. :) They are...

Alice I Have Been
Cleopatra: A Life
A Lonely Death

Yep, you can read the Group Read at any point in March. Everyone has different schedules, so it's hard for everyone to read specific amounts by a specified time. :) Most people tend to begin reading right away though... :)

message 10: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments NICE!! lol ok snds good guess ill be busy this month... so where do we go to discuss them once we start readin em?

message 11: by J.D. (new)

SANDRA wrote: "NICE!! lol ok snds good guess ill be busy this month... so where do we go to discuss them once we start readin em?"

There is a folder called "Group Reads", which is where you can find the threads. :)

message 12: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments Ok fantastic cant wait.. lol

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen Quite fancy Cleopatra but can't find it on kindle so guess I'll be splurging on A Lonely Death.

message 14: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 01, 2011 11:25AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 2233 comments Bought A Lonely Death and ordered Alice I have been from the library. At least I know I will have one

message 15: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments u cant get it on kindle :( i was hoping to do that today...

message 16: by J.D. (new)

Helen wrote: "Quite fancy Cleopatra but can't find it on kindle so guess I'll be splurging on A Lonely Death."

You might be able to find the ebook through a different website and could manually add Cleopatra onto your Kindle...

message 17: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments Joy wrote: "Helen wrote: "Quite fancy Cleopatra but can't find it on kindle so guess I'll be splurging on A Lonely Death."

You might be able to find the ebook through a different website and could manually ad..."

ok will try it.. but ive just got the kindle so dont know how to play with it too much.. any tips?

message 18: by Helen (new)

Helen Ditto what Sandra said! I've read the instructions briefly and that's it.

message 19: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments Helen wrote: "Ditto what Sandra said! I've read the instructions briefly and that's it."

So u r in the same boat as i am... :D

if anyone can help us out it'd b great. I'm one of those who doesn't like to read instruction manuals.. lol

message 20: by Helen (new)

Helen Have to confess, I did some skipping of the manual

message 21: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments Helen wrote: "Have to confess, I did some skipping of the manual"

lol.. i have read the small booklet that came with it.. but im at like page 10 in the one in the kindle.. lol its soooo LONG!!!

message 22: by Helen (new)

Helen i read the chapters that seemed relevant, like how buttons work, how to get a book. I'm reading a book at the moment and as I only like to read one at a time, I haven't panic-ed about getting Cleopatra. Would prefer that book though

message 23: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments Helen wrote: "i read the chapters that seemed relevant, like how buttons work, how to get a book. I'm reading a book at the moment and as I only like to read one at a time, I haven't panic-ed about getting Cleop..."

lol... yea basically thats wat i got to.. id rather ask sumone else how things work.. lol im bta at learin that way.. :D yea i want to start loadin more books on it thou.. ive got 2 books n couple games that were free wen i go on.....

message 24: by J.D. (new)

I own a Nook, so I'm not completely sure how to do everything with the Kindle. However, most ereaders come with a USB cord that connects the ereader to the computer. A box will pop up for you to open the folders of your ereader. Then you can click and drag ebooks from your computer onto your ereader. I'm not sure if this is how the Kindle works, but most ereaders work this way.
If the Kindle does use a USB to connect to the computer for transferring files... you can go on any ebook website to download the ebooks onto your laptop. Then transfer them to the ereader. You can download ebooks from a TON of websites. :)You just need to check which formats work the best with the Kindle. For instance: With the Nook, EPUB works the best. :)

message 25: by Helen (new)

Helen Thanks Joy, I'll give that a try.

message 26: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments Joy wrote: "I own a Nook, so I'm not completely sure how to do everything with the Kindle. However, most ereaders come with a USB cord that connects the ereader to the computer. A box will pop up for you to op..."

Yea joy thanks.. but heres a quest. wat is epub. is it a website where u get free books?

message 27: by J.D. (new)

SANDRA wrote: "Joy wrote: "I own a Nook, so I'm not completely sure how to do everything with the Kindle. However, most ereaders come with a USB cord that connects the ereader to the computer. A box will pop up f..."

Ebooks have different formats (EPUB, PDF, HTML, LIT, Mobi). I looked it up and according to the website I checked... Mobi and PDF are the best formats for the Kindle. If you find an ebook online that is not in a format that the Kindle accepts... you can use an ebook converter to change it to a different format. :) If you need suggestions for websites and the best ebook converters, let me know.

message 28: by Kristin Laura (new)

Kristin Laura (kristinlaura) Joy wrote: "...If you need suggestions for websites and the best ebook converters, let me know."

I would like your suggestions for ebook converters please! Thanks.

message 29: by J.D. (new)

The one I use is http://calibre-ebook.com/
It's free to download. It's great because you can set it up to convert any ebook to only the formats that your ereader accepts. When you set it up, it will ask you which ereader you use. You don't have to choose the format, because it already knows. You add the ebooks to the library and convert them. I converted 4 ebooks in less than a minute.

Another one that looks decent is http://download.cnet.com/Auto-Kindle-..., which is also free.

message 30: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 28 comments Joy wrote: "The one I use is http://calibre-ebook.com/
It's free to download. It's great because you can set it up to convert any ebook to only the formats that your ereader accepts. When you set it up, it wil..."

thanks joy.. i think u shld have a website just for nook n kindle user. to help them get more acquainted with their "electronics" lol

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 2233 comments HELP. Does anyone know the name of a book written in the early 40's, The main character was Olive and she had 2 children and lived in The Northwest Territories and survivied off the land.. Called Something Northwest????? Really good book quite simple.

message 32: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments There is a very good Kindle forum at http://www.kindleboards.com

To find the name of a book, there's a group here on GR called "What's the Name of that Book?" Post your plot description and wait ... usually someone comes up with a title within a week, some faster, some take longer.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 33: by Helen (new)

Helen YOu have to love this club, there's always someone with an answer!

message 34: by Carrie (last edited Mar 04, 2011 11:15AM) (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) Helen wrote: "Quite fancy Cleopatra but can't find it on kindle so guess I'll be splurging on A Lonely Death."

This might be a bit late in responding, but what I've done before on Amazon's page is click the link to suggest a book be added as a Kindle format. As to how long the response is, I have no clue. I'm not sure if you already tried that or not. Good luck in finding it in Kindle, if you are still looking :)

message 35: by Helen (new)

Helen hadn't tried that but will try, thanks

message 36: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 2233 comments Hurray I just got Alice I Have Been from the library.

The are changing the library system to Polaris so I get to keep both good reads until April 20th. Life is good

message 37: by J.D. (new)

SANDRA wrote: "Joy wrote: "The one I use is http://calibre-ebook.com/
It's free to download. It's great because you can set it up to convert any ebook to only the formats that your ereader accepts. When you set i..."

I have folders on the group specifically for Nook and Kindle users. I think that there are threads in each to ask other specifics about the ereaders. :)

message 38: by Jill (new)

Jill shure | 8 comments I just finished reading my first Louis L'Amour novel, Jubal Sackett. It was terrific! I just ordered another one. He's fast paced, full of folklore, and information about Native Americans, hunting, and the unconquered lands of the US.