The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > Interview with Patrick Rothfuss - The S&L Podcast #54

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1671 comments Mod
Very excited for this episode! We have author Patrick Rothfuss, author of The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear, coming out on March 1st.

Enjoy!

message 2: by Alotor (new)

Alotor | 18 comments Has the podcast spoilers of "The Name of the Wind"?

If it has I'll wait to read it first

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Good stuff. Rothfuss seems like a pretty well-grounded guy. I like it when people are willing to talk to fans and do it in a laid-back manner.

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6186 comments Hmm, maybe they should do away with writing contracts. Then each book would have to be sold on its own merits, instead of having umpteenth mediocre books in a series.

message 5: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Alotor wrote: "Has the podcast spoilers of "The Name of the Wind"?

If it has I'll wait to read it first"

No spoilers for either book!

message 6: by brian (last edited Feb 22, 2011 08:39AM) (new)

brian tanabe Exciting. Will listen to immediately!

message 7: by Vance (new)

Vance | 362 comments Very good interview, cool guy.

message 8: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
The interview was really, really excellent. I like Rothfuss even more now.

message 9: by brian (new)

brian tanabe I didnt realize S&L did Name of the Wind...

message 10: by Alotor (new)

Alotor | 18 comments Veronica wrote: No spoilers for either book!"

Thanks!! I'm eager to read those books but first I want to finish "Book of the New Sun" :D

message 11: by Kevin (last edited Feb 22, 2011 12:55PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Good interview, didn't like his own writing process, but loved his thought on other things.

message 12: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

brian wrote: "I didnt realize S&L did Name of the Wind..."

We didn't! We read it on our own time.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2844 comments Yeah, Name of the Wind was like an unofficial S&L read. :)

I really enjoyed the interview with Patrick! He is very self-aware about his writing process, which I really liked learning about. Plus I think every book should come from RP games of some kind, what a great idea. :)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2844 comments Ahem, I mean Mr. Rothfuss. I feel like I know him now or something.

message 15: by brian (new)

brian tanabe @V - WHEW! I thought I missed out on something... I felt like the nerd who didnt get the invite or something...

Great interview with Patrick.

CANNOT wait for March 1st...

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom (tjwebdude) | 11 comments The Name of the Wind has been on my "to read" list for awhile, so I was happy with how Mr. Rothfuss came off in the interview... grounded, thoughtful, approachable, a touch of humility, self-awareness, etc.

On the other hand, he reads a book in about FIVE HOURS? What the...? Maybe I've just never had five hours of uninterrupted time to give this a go, but that seems wicked fast.

When I read a book, I like to pause and reflect once in awhile, let stuff sink in, have some internal discussion... sometimes over the course of a couple days.

Of course, nobody says we all have to read the same; but to read a book in a a day (or less!)... just seems like you'd be hitting things at a surface level only.

message 17: by Larry (new)

Larry (lomifeh) | 88 comments Tom wrote: "Of course, nobody says we all have to read the same; but to read a book in a a day (or less!)... just seems like you'd be hitting things at a surface level only. ..."

Some books I can read in a day, others not so much. Five hours is something though. When I get into a good book I tend to burn through until the end. It usually takes me more than five hours though. 8-10 hours I think.

message 18: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6186 comments Oh sure, Patrick Rothfuss read a book in 5 hours, but he didn't enjoy it. :p

message 19: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments Speed reading, friends. Watch the dolphin swim and jump over the words!

message 20: by Guic (new)

Guic | 2 comments Colin wrote: "Speed reading, friends. Watch the dolphin swim and jump over the words!"

Spreading satch dolphin swim over swords. There, I just speed-read your comment! Makes total sense to me.

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindawilkins) Veronica wrote: "brian wrote: "I didnt realize S&L did Name of the Wind..."

We didn't! We read it on our own time."

I just started it last night and read a bit more today. I really like it. I had it as a Kindle sample for awhile now, but since the interview I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I started now, since I won't have to wait for #2.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindawilkins) Tom wrote: "The Name of the Wind has been on my "to read" list for awhile, so I was happy with how Mr. Rothfuss came off in the interview... grounded, thoughtful, approachable, a touch of humilit..."

I can go through a book a day in the summer when I'm lounging in the sun - but there have been times when I read so quickly that I did miss things, or noticed that I hadn't really retained some of the story. I try to slow down and enjoy it more now, but sometimes the book is so good I don't look up for hours. Also, I don't have kids, so that makes it a bit easier to be so absorbed.

message 23: by aldenoneil (last edited Feb 24, 2011 04:09PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Can you confirm that Patrick Rothfuss is the Lawnmower Man?

message 24: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6186 comments

message 25: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Photo taken by the Hypnotoad?

message 26: by Tom (last edited Mar 04, 2011 05:25AM) (new)

Tom (tjwebdude) | 11 comments Tamahome (photo with Patrick Rothfuss)

That Veronica Belmont is certainly a fine looking woman. Is it possible for her to look bad in a photo? I think not.

On the other hand, Tom & Patrick in this photo (good looks and awesome beards aside) look a bit like Anathem characters from a hundred year math who are encountering a speelycaptor for the first time.

message 27: by Anton Strout (new)

Anton Strout | 25 comments Tamahome wrote: ""

I've had this very exact nightmare before...

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

That was a great interview; I haven't read much sword of late - I finally read 'The Hobbit' at Xmas if you can believe that, and was fairly disappointed by it - but Rothfuss actually seems like an interesting chap who can actually talk honestly, so I had a look on Amazon, and can get the Kindle version of Name of the Wind for ~ 11USD, or a paperback from Amazon.co.jp for ~700JPY which is marginally cheaper (yeah, Kindle prices are just a mess), so I'll pick one or the other up and give it a try on an upcoming trip.

message 29: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (halfadd3r) It's the Serenity shirt that sells this picture.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2844 comments At least now we know who can play him in his biographical film....

[image error]

message 31: by Vance (new)

Vance | 362 comments Well, from his eyes, we can see Patrick is obviously possessed by some evil creature. Seemingly, the existence of this internal demon can only be revealed through the use of newfangled photo-sharing filters. The Dark Side never saw that coming and will have to adjust accordingly.

And, it is possible that Tom and Veronica are slowly coming under the sway. We will need to keep them under observation . . .

message 32: by Moses (new)

Moses Siregar III (mosessiregar) | 3 comments Checking it out now. Thanks!