Islam discussion

How would you change the image of Islam in the West (Europe and Americas)?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Halik (new)

Halik (whacko) | 35 comments Yes i agree. I also thing a very good way of doing it is by engaging with any Western people you meet. Talking to them about Islam and trying to dispel the inaccurate notions that they have.

message 2: by أثير (new)

أثير (atheer_suliman) | 2 comments I agree with both of you. But for people who don't associate with non-Muslims, what do you think they should do?

message 3: by أثير (new)

أثير (atheer_suliman) | 2 comments "people who don't associate with non-Muslims" , such as myself. I don't get to see foreigners her in ksa

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

ditto

message 5: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 120 comments Another thing we can do is write about Muslims. I love reading fiction about Muslims, like Sweetness in the Belly or If I Should Speak that shows the kinder face of Islam. I think what Western people need is to see that Muslims are people just like them, not just a bunch of terrorists and fanatics. We have the same hopes and dreams, love and family, face the same hardships in life.

Maybe we should write something like Chicken Soup for the Muslims' Soul.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

my favorite muslim fiction book is Does My Head Look Big In This?
its really a good read, aimed for teens and its funny and entertaining.

message 7: by Halik (new)

Halik (whacko) | 35 comments 'Chicken Soup for the Muslim soul' i like it! Mainly though if we are to dispel misconceptions about Islam among non-Muslims i think the first step we should take is to acquire knowledge about Islam because only then can we do justice to its teachings and successfully dispel any wrong ideas held about it.

message 8: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 120 comments Yes, Chicken Soup is nonfiction. Your story should be a true story. I don't think you need to be an expert in fiqih to write about your experience with Islam, such as conversion stories, or your experience when you wore hijab for the first time (and your journey to decide to wear it), or your experience with an answered prayer, or your experience when you went on hajj. There are all kinds of nonfiction writing that can be included in Chicken Soup.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

wait, chicken soup has one for a muslim's soul?
are you flipping kidding me? ive been collecting the series for the past four years and have over 70, but none of them are for muslims. there's jewish and christian, but i just figured they never thought to do onefor muslims.
great, another book to hunt down.
thanks for the enlightenment.

message 10: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 120 comments Esme, no, I don't think there is CS for Muslim soul yet. That's why I suggested it. Maybe we can start writing one.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Femmy wrote: "Esme, no, I don't think there is CS for Muslim soul yet. That's why I suggested it. Maybe we can start writing one."

oh...well sigh...
yeah, that'd be cool. but not to be a debbie downer or anything, but im pretty sure there have been requests for it before. if they haven't released any info about even the possibility, then im sure there's some discriminatory reason behind it. its still worth a try.
i hope they do one day, because alot of people read that series and actually change their lives from it. it could really open the eyes of the world to islam.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

my mom works with publishing companies. im half tempted to call her and ask about it, but seeing as there's like a 10 hour time diff between here and china...maybe i'll save it until she comes home.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

is chicken soup produced by random house publishing?

message 14: by Femmy (last edited Feb 23, 2011 09:18PM) (new)

Femmy | 120 comments Esme wrote: "but not to be a debbie downer or anything, but im pretty sure there have been requests for it before. if they haven't released any info about even the possibility, then im sure there's some discriminatory reason behind it. its still worth a try."

My first guess as to why there isn't CS Muslim yet is because there hasn't been any qualified editors that come forward yet.

I looked at CS website once, and it seems that for specific themes, CS waits for people outside the publisher to send in proposals. So anyone can send them a proposal to edit a CS on dog lovers or on golf or on cancer survivors, and the person must show that s/he is capable of doing the editing job for the book, and s/he is able to collect enough good stories for that book.

So it's not enough just to request the publisher to publish a CS on Muslims. There has to be an editor that is willing and able to collect, edit, and organise the writings.

message 15: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 120 comments Esme wrote: "is chicken soup produced by random house publishing?"

No, it is by HCI, Health Communications, Inc.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

oh. darn.