Start by marking “If I Should Speak” as Want to Read:
If I Should Speak

If I Should Speak

(If I Should Speak #1)

Now in its second printing, If I Should Speak has changed the face of spiritual writing forever. Months after it was released, it quickly became a bestseller. Used in college classrooms and in book clubs, readers express the profound impact the story has had on their lives.
Paperback, 2nd edition, 198 pages
Published 2001 by Al-Walaa Publications

To ask other readers questions about If I Should Speak, please sign up.
Haley S. But why. Is that really necessary. I mean, really. KIMCHIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start your review of If I Should Speak
Noor
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
I was initially going to give this a lower rating, but the unexpected twist at the end redeemed it slightly.

This is a spiritual story of three roommates: one is Christian, one is a practising Muslim and the third is a non-practicing Muslim. Tamika, the Christian roommate, has a college assignment to research a religion and do a presentation on it. She chooses Islam, and this forms the premise for the rest of the story.

Here are my main issues with the book. Firstly, in quite a few instances, I f
Rizwana
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I feel truly inspired.

I thought, like many have before me I'm sure, that this starts off a little amateurish and the writing could have had more depth, but this soon transforms into one of those books that I had to stay up way into the night to finish!! And it really was worth it!

The three main characters are truly delightful to get to know, and strangely you find yourself empathising with all of them at the same time even thoough they disagree with each other. Really clever.
Umm Thameenah
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite-reads
A book detailing the realities often faced between people of different races and religions, though seldom expressed aloud.

'If I Should Speak' captures its readers, taking them on a journey of one character's discovery; heart-felt hope, sadness and finally joy.

A heart-rending and talented piece of work.
Noorah
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
interesting, it's been a while since I read a book that I couldn't put it down !!
I Liked the book.
The ending was very touching.
it's great to read such a novel taking about Islam, it describes the how many people see Islam, and the struggle many people go through before being Muslim and somehow " Dee's or Durrah's " personality is just like - sadly- many Muslims these day.
Ammena
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great book that I would highly recommend... even as part of the trilogy... Its been awhile since I read this but I do remember fondly enjoying it. I cried in places, because of events and because of the comparison I was making to my own life as a convert. There were times that I had to remind myself that everyone has a differing opinion of Islam and the things they do upon converting are very much different. Just because one person dives right into things doesnt mean they are correct and will ...more
Zainab
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
I so wanted to be able to rate this book higher, since it's a good attempt Islamic Fiction and we need more of those.

However, the writing style is very annoying to say the least. I feel that the characters do reflect the struggles that many Muslims have to deal with. The plot itself is alright, but I just couldn't get over the 'in-your-face' preachiness. Furthermore, I feel that the author could have done a better job at explaning some the islamic issues that the characters deal with, rather th
Kelley
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: islam
Ugh. We need more Muslim fiction so props for that. But it's a barely veiled dawah pamphlet with an unrealistic conversion story. I just didn't believe the characters. But it's awesome this sister is writing. She's a trailblazer mashallah. And it's gotta be hard to write conservative Muslim fiction at that. So it's appreciated.
AB
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I never thought that this book would be so good. I really liked it.
The author stated her opinions strongly and in most of the times they were convincing. The story was also interesting and fast-paced.
I strongly recommend this book for the muslim youth.
TeAndrea
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
wow i would never have thought it would end like that
Ahmad
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful & very touching story about a Christian woman that becomes friends with 2 Muslim women. I highly recommend it to both Muslims & Non-muslims who wish to have a better idea about Islam. ...more
Asma
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a captivating book. It was hard to put down. There's so much to learn from this book both for Muslims and non-Muslims. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Heather
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book more. Muslim fiction - with plotlines where women aren't abused victims, in need of saving from "evil brown men" - is SO hard to find. There were just too many issues, though.

1) There was a LOT of telling, no showing.

2) Most characters were very underdeveloped, with large chunks of time and events just glossed over. It also made the book feel rushed.

3) I am Muslim, but I found it very preachy, as did other reviewers. I enjoy Islamic lectures and such like anyon
Husam Alshloul
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as part of my academic course in Eng102 in Islamic online university.
The story is very nice, great picture of a strong Muslim, a weaker Muslim, and a christian learning about Islam and reflecting the Islamic knowledge and logic on what she grew up to know as a Christian.

This book surely will help the Muslim brothers and sisters living in non Muslim countries and are asked about some religious issues and are dealing all day with Christians. It gives you an idea on where to start
Jamila El-Jabry
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If I should speak by Umm zakiyyah – when I first started reading it, it was interesting finding out about the characters and personality but then I found myself skipping paragraphs because it was all explanation of Islam and Christianity. I am sure most converts and reverts would relate to many of the comparison and how it’s perceived but I found myself passing through the chapters. They only highlight is getting to know Dee at the end and her struggle with Islam and the climax at the end that b ...more
Rora
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for people who want to know more about Islam. It gives some basics of Islam that is impeded into a good story. So if you want to know a little about Islam and have no time to do an extensive research read this book.

It a create Islamic fiction which tells the story of a young women and how she discovered Islam and converted to it.

The book is really interesting.
Alyaa-a.n
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
the book tells how non-muslims where influenced by the stereotypes that came out on islam . it gives you a chance to learn how to speak about islam in a convincing and a simplified way , without placing pressure on the other side . i loved everything about this book , the writing style , the characters and the sequence of events . its a must read book for everyone :D
Sara Al-Dawood
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I learned how to answer some questions about Islam if I'm asked by a non-muslim. However, I didn't like the end, it would be better if Tamika converted to Islam before the death of Dee. In general, I recommend this book to every non-muslim who is planning to convert to the great religion "ISLAM" <3 ...more
Umm
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the best muslim novel that I have read. The author writes really well and it will teach both muslims and non muslims a lot about Islam without overwhelming them. The story is about 3 girls in College and how they navigate through their spiritual journeys.

This book is part of a trilogy.
Amanda
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book should be read by anyone. It perfectly depicts what a college student goes through emotionally whether the religious parts apply to her or not. I read this book in 3 hours!!! While at work :) That is how good this book is!!!!
Rehan
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Really inspirational story of one woman's conversion.
Hena
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Hena by: everyone
excellent book! loved it..
my middle school teacher wrote it =)
Rajabenchek
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
an excellent book revealing the struggles anyone might face in his way to a change wether to the best or worst.I m sure you won't let go of it once you hold it.

May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommended and can't Waite to read the sequel
Sharifah Alshahab
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I truly appreciated the arguments and content that the author brought to light in the book. They more than made up for the slightly typical storyline.
Krista
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: islam
Ahh, what to say? Throughout the book, there were grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes. I wondered if the author was not a native English speaker, but when I looked it up, I found she was, and also had studied education and ELL. I guess I have to conclude that she had a really bad editor. There were so many mistakes, however, that it detracted from the story.

As for the story, I thought that it was simplistic, condescending, and sometimes misleading about Christianity. I found it surprisi
Lily Jervis
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
It's hard to know how to rate this. I don't want to give a low number to a book that I couldn't stop reading, and occupied so much of my thoughts when I wasn't reading it. I could't concentrate on anything else for three days except the message in the book. Which is not to say that I always agreed with it. There was too much of the 'it's true because it's true, and if you just look at it, you will see that it is true' method of proving a point. There was too much preaching about the hellfire rew ...more
Amna
Oct 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Basically you can learn how to speak about Islam using the right vocabulary, simple idea, without any complication
And with confident.
About the Events you can summarize it in a couple pages or read about it in the book sequel voice
Nachida
May 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gone, fiction
I found it pretentious, overly righteous, and completely not a reality as I or my other convert to Islam friends has experience. It only gave an idealized version of the conversion experience. I was extremely disappointed.
Shosho
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
A heart-moving story of a college student and her mental and spiritual conflicts between her religion (i.e. christianity) and that of her new two roomates who are Muslim. A compelling and entertaining read for people of all faiths. Highly recommened!
Bushra
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome Book. Very gripping till the end and indeed an eye opener
« previous 1 3 next »

• She Wore Red Trainers
  • From My Sisters' Lips
  • Does My Head Look Big in This?
  • Reclaim Your Heart: Personal Insights on Breaking Free from Life's Shackles
  • شكرا
  • كم أود أن يحبني الله
  • Before Midnight - A Retelling of Cinderella
  • Of Hockey and Hijab: Reflections of a Canadian Muslim Woman
Daughter of American converts to Islam, Umm Zakiyyah writes about the interfaith struggles of Muslims and Christians, and the intercultural, spiritual, and moral struggles of Muslims in America.

Umm Zakiyyah’s work has earned praise from writers, professors, and filmmakers and has been translated into multiple languages. In 2008, Umm Zakiyyah was awarded the Muslim Girls Unity Conference Distinguis

If I Should Speak (3 books)
  • A Voice