Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Overdrive transfer to iPod.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry When transferring the book to the iPod (I also have an iphone) but only use the iPod for the books.
The transfer can take hours when the format is WMA. I called the library support desk and their answer was “yep”. I have not downloaded a MP3 file yet hoping this doesn’t take as long.
Does anyone know a trick to cut the time down or am I doing something wrong?

message 2: by KayG (new)

KayG | 1 comments A WMA file is much larger than an mp3, so takes much longer. The mp3's should be much faster.

message 3: by John, Moderator (last edited Feb 19, 2011 10:06AM) (new)

John | 3677 comments HOURS???

I guess it has to do with the internal "conversion" process to make WMA's listen-able on iPods.

message 4: by Terry (new)

Terry Yeah John try 3 HOURS??? for an 8 hour book. :(

message 5: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Amazon has the sansa clip for 25 - 40 bucks depending on the color and memory...it might be worth looking into!

message 6: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3677 comments I agree -- the clip+ is great for WMA books (they never expire), and takes maybe ... 10 minutes from the time you decide when browsing your library "That (WMA) book looks interesting" to being fully loaded onto the device. One slight "catch" -- you should change the files' ID tag to "Audiobook" before transferring them to ensure the resume function works; I do understand that you could also use the Advanced function at Overdrive Manager to send the book to the "audiobook" folder as well, though I've never tried it myself.

message 7: by Dalene (new)

Dalene I've never experienced more than 5 or 10 minutes and that is on those that are quite long. In fact, I'm downloading one right now and thought I'd jaunt over to Goodreads quickly while I'm waiting. I always download the WMA. I wonder if it is the library and that there is a lot of use on the "drive" that the information comes from.

message 8: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2000 comments Terry wrote: "When transferring the book to the iPod (I also have an iphone) but only use the iPod for the books.
The transfer can take hours when the format is WMA. I called the library support desk and their..."

You have to change your settings in itunes to spoken word not music it is in settings I had the same problem and once I switched it to spoken word it goes way fast!

message 9: by Terry (new)

Terry Interesting, I just don't know??? Glad I have Audible.com to get my books.

message 10: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2000 comments My overdrive pop up said to change it so it will download faster surprised yours hasn't popped up telling you the same.

message 11: by Terry (new)

Terry Thanks next time I'll look for it.

message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken (reedr) | 18 comments I use a program called Tunebite to convert Overdrive audio books. It's a bit hard to figure out in the beginning but after that it works like a charm.

message 13: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments It depends on time length. I have been doing downloads from overdrive to my ipod/iphone for several years now. John is right, the WMA is not compatibile with the ipod so it has to be converted. Sometiems it takes 20 minutes for me (that is the average length), other times it may take an hour (that is the longest). So I guess I would say 3 hours is not typical. Most of the books I listen to are much longer than 8 hours.

I also am constantly downloading books and transferring them (I find the transfer takes longer than the download for WMA books), so that I am never waiting on a book I must have. So that I have about 10 overdrive books waiting for me on my iPhone at any given time.

Terry, I have audible too, the plus of overdrive is that there is a huge selection and they are "free" (or we have already paid the fee through our property taxes).

message 14: by Terry (new)

Terry Since I'm new to overdrive I have a lot to learn. First San Diego Library has a big selection but not usually newer books. Plus 90% have holds of waiting for months. I agree audible is expensive. I mostly get them on CD and transfer this is a pain in the $@&. We can get MP3 I understand but again older books and long waits. "" Property Tax and I'm still doing Income Tax as well."""

message 15: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments My overdrive systems (I belong to 3) don't have long waits at all! Sorry to hear that yours does. That is also one of the reason I do multiple books, so if one has a list of people, (usually just a few weeks), it isn't a big deal since Ih ave others to listen to. I do the CDs from the library too. I do it all! :)

message 16: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2000 comments my overdrive is new only been in place since sept. of last year so the selection is sparse and pretty slow at adding new titles and most good ones you have to be on the waiting list for I wish you could return them as soon as your done instead of waiting out the time period.

Also I just downloaded a book and it went into music instead of audiobook AND its backwards so will have to watch it and click back to get to the next chapter instead of it going to the next one automatically.

message 17: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments Susie, if it is an MP3 it may go into music. WMAs never go in to music, but the MP3s do. This is what I do to take care of that. Also, the order is easy to fix (the MP3s always go in backwards for some reason).

1. Create a playlist named after the book (in your itunes).
2. Copy the book in to the playlist.
3. To reorder, just click at the on "album" it should re-order by number.
4. When your iPod/iPhone is connected to your computer/iTunes, drag the playlist onto your iPhone/iPod to add it and sync.

voila! :)

I am not sure about what "I'm still doing Income Tax as well" means, so I am. LOL, I just meant that typically library systems are funded by local property taxes (and of course sales taxes and to some extent funds from the state gov't which do come out of income tax, but where I am at right now the library funds have been cut so severely, that they are getting much from the state).

message 18: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments Some other options to get around long overdrive wait times. Depending on where you live, nearby communities may allow non-residents to join their library. For example, I live in a suburb of Chicago. I am part of my local overdrive system, but I am also a member of the Chicago overdrive system. So I recommend you all checking out if there are other nearby library systems you can join. Also, I joined the Philadelphia library system. They allow non-residents to join for $15 a year. There is very little overlap between the 3 overdrives I am a part of so it is nice when looking for ebooks and audiob books.

message 19: by MissSusie (last edited Feb 23, 2011 09:14AM) (new)

MissSusie | 2000 comments RE: Taxes for libraries I am a librarian in a small town and the taxes the city collect for our library goes ONLY to pay my wages and to pay the heating bills and upkeep.
Money for books is from donations Only; the city does not pay for a single book and that is why I have to pay an out of town fee to get books from overdrive (for myself not the library) through a consortium in my state and there is no way I could become a part of it because the price is almost my entire yearly budget!

message 20: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments Oh wow!!

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori (twizzle777) | 191 comments Regina wrote: "My overdrive systems (I belong to 3) don't have long waits at all! Sorry to hear that yours does. That is also one of the reason I do multiple books, so if one has a list of people, (usually just..."

How did you find 3 different systems? I keep getting referred back to the same one!

message 22: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments I belong to 3 libraries.

message 23: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 43 comments Regina wrote: "Susie, if it is an MP3 it may go into music. WMAs never go in to music, but the MP3s do. This is what I do to take care of that. Also, the order is easy to fix (the MP3s always go in backwards fo..."

You are a life saver! Wish I had thought of adding my book into a playlist. I am guessing because it was from Overdrive, that's why it won't allow me to change it's Media Kind from Music to Audiobook in the Options tab? Still, finally I was able to transfer my book and not have it mixed in with music. Thank you!

message 24: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments Great! Glad to help!

message 25: by Terry (new)

Terry Susie wrote: "Terry wrote: "When transferring the book to the iPod (I also have an iphone) but only use the iPod for the books.
The transfer can take hours when the format is WMA. I called the library support ..."

Suzie. Changing to spoken word AWESOME..... 6 minute transfer.

message 26: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2000 comments Terry wrote:"Suzie. Changing to spoken word AWESOME..... 6 minute transfer."

Great I'm so glad it worked for you!

message 27: by Terry (new)

Terry Extension of question with book transfer.
Our city library uses Overdrive for its transfer application.
Our country library also uses Overdrive.
I am getting different answers as to I will need to download both overdrives or NO I can use just the one.
In any case the country downloads are not transferring.
HELP

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments I use 5 different Overdrive libraries and only have one (1) Overdrive account on my computer.

message 29: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2000 comments You should only need 1 overdrive I have downloaded from different sources and only need one.

message 30: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments Yes, I have only one overdrive console and belong to 3 libraries.

message 31: by Terry (new)

Terry Thanks why is it the library can't even answer this question. (Smile)

message 32: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments They probably don't know. I think the overdrive library componenet for your library should have a techinical person to contact? Or email?

message 33: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 43 comments I have two different libraries, on in LA and one in OH, which use Overdrive. I do own a Mac, so if they are in WMA format, it means I need to go and use my hubby's PC to do my downloading, but again, it's just one Overdrive account that is on his computer. Some libraries do allow for downloading directly from Overdrive to the device, as the one in Ohio has stated on its site. I recently got an iPad (in addition to the iPhone which I had been using solely for my audiobook downloads) and got the Overdrive App. The only thing that I have been able to download through the Overdrive App has been the MP3 file from that library. There has been a note saying that for WMA files, they are sorry but that feature is not available.

Hope that also helps answer your questions :)

message 34: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1546 comments They probably don't realize people use so many other Overdrive accounts. Glad to help!

message 35: by Terry (new)

Terry Keri ★TX wrote: "I have two different libraries, on in LA and one in OH, which use Overdrive. I do own a Mac, so if they are in WMA format, it means I need to go and use my hubby's PC to do my downloading, but agai..."

Bummer on the ipad not receiving WMA file. Is this the NEW NEW one?

message 36: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments iPad and iPhone cannot directly download WMA from overdrive through the overdrive console -- it has to be done on a computer and then transferred to the iPad and iPhone.

message 37: by Terry (new)

Terry Regina wrote: "iPad and iPhone cannot directly download WMA from overdrive through the overdrive console -- it has to be done on a computer and then transferred to the iPad and iPhone."

Oh I have a iphone4 but always use my ipod for the WMA books and the iphone for Audible.

message 38: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments No, you don't understand. You can use an iPhone, iPad and iPod for any type of file from overdrive.com -- it isn't any different for your iPod v. an iPhone v. an iPad as long as you download to the computer and then transfer to your device (iPhone, iPad and iPod). All good. WMA files work b/c the overdrive console on the computer converts the files.

There is an overdrive console App that you can put on your iPhone and iPad which allows direct downloading onto your device (no computer needed). However, the app can't/doesn't convert WMA files, so in that instance if you are direct downloading through the APP and not using the computer, you can only do MP3.

message 39: by Terry (new)

Terry Thanks for the tech help on this. I did not know about the APP. Very cool.

message 40: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments No problem, it is confusing. The App is cool I find moreso for checking out ebooks though -- but get this (like the MP3 v. WMA), on the App it can only read ePub ebooks, but overdrive.com has both ePub and PDF. So when searching for audio books and ebooks through the App only MP3 audio books and ePub ebooks will show up - -and you will have no idea if the other stuff exists. I think it is a confusing system! However, I am thankful that it exists and love that I can get this stuff through it. Actually after this month I am cancelling my audible.com membership.

message 41: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3677 comments Slightly OT ... my library has such an overlap with Audible, there's little left for me to get for my credits also.

message 42: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments John exactly! In January I tried to quit Audible, Audible offered me $20 to stay. Well, that $20 offer, cost me 3 more months (smart move on their part). Although I spent the $20 at the $4.95 sales and got about 5 books. On 3/22/11 a book I want is being released, I am buying that and discontinuing my membership. I have about 8 audible books I have not listened to yet and that is just an estimate.

message 43: by Terry (new)

Terry Regina wrote: "No problem, it is confusing. The App is cool I find moreso for checking out ebooks though -- but get this (like the MP3 v. WMA), on the App it can only read ePub ebooks, but overdrive.com has both..."

Regina wrote: "No problem, it is confusing. The App is cool I find moreso for checking out ebooks though -- but get this (like the MP3 v. WMA), on the App it can only read ePub ebooks, but overdrive.com has both..."

I'm jumping off Audible too. I still have 6 credits since I get most of the books I want free as well. It has been very hard to use my credits.

message 44: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3677 comments I have 9 "virgin" books plus 4 unused credits right now - on my wish list are about 4 books my library is unlikely to get (or are Audible, Inc. productions). After that, 1 credit/month would make more sense in terms of volume, but drives the price-per-book way up!

message 45: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments Oh, I have a 1 credit month, I never analyzed the cost per book but you are right. Wow -- that is alot of credits/unused books!

message 46: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) My library actually just had a book produced by Audible, inc. so I'm not sure that those won't be going to libraries...now I am going to have to try to remember what that was...it was something that I just listened to at any rate. It may have been The Windup Girl.

message 47: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments How was that? I have been wanting to read that book.

message 48: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I really loved it. I gave it 5 stars! I don't think that it's for everyone. If you're interested you should check it out!

message 49: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 163 comments Thanks

message 50: by Terry (new)

Terry John wrote: "I have 9 "virgin" books plus 4 unused credits right now - on my wish list are about 4 books my library is unlikely to get (or are Audible, Inc. productions). After that, 1 credit/month would make m..."

How can I tell if they are Audible Productions only?

« previous 1