The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.4 Dlmrose's Task: Like I Needed an Excuse.......

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 19, 2011 09:30AM) (new)

Sandy | 15620 comments Mod
30.4 Dlmrose's Task: Like I Needed an Excuse.......

April 7th is No Housework Day. (yeah!) So we'll read instead. Read 2 books.
A. Read a non-fiction book about an interest or activity you would pursue instead of housework- it could be a book about a sport, a hobby, history etc.
And
B. Since the spring cleaning needs to be done anyway, read a book prominently featuring a domestic worker: cleaning lady, housekeeper, maid, governess, nanny, butler, chauffeur, household cook, dog walker, laundress, nursemaid, etc. If the character's household position is not apparent in the Goodreads description, please note the character and position when you post.

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17400 comments Mod
placeholder

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1488 comments Would Her Royal Spyness work?

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Sue T wrote: "Would Her Royal Spyness work?"

It looks like it will work for B as it looks like she starts a domestic service

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1488 comments That's what I was thinking, thanks!

message 7: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Some books that might work since I can only think of ones I've already read:

When Darkness Comes - cleaning lady
Lie by Moonlight - governess
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - companion/housekeeper
Yours Until Dawn - nursemaid
The Crown and the Crucible - companion/maid

message 8: by Dee (last edited Feb 19, 2011 03:34PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments for part B - can they be hiding in a position such as a footman - I was thinknig about reading Love Letters From a Duke - he is a duke (well duh! but is disguised as her footman)

for A - I tend to read a lot and try to push my boundaries with reading - could I use a nf book off a shelf that scares me (or that I would typically avoid)? since reading is my hobby (aside from studying)

message 9: by Sandy (new)

A couple others I can think of for part B that I've read:
The Remains of the Day - butler
Jane Eyre - governess

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "for part B - can they be hiding in a position such as a footman - I was thinknig about reading Love Letters From a Duke - he is a duke (well duh! but is disguised as her footman)

f..."

For B, as long as he performs the duties of the footman, it would work.
For A, if it is a non-fiction subject that interests you, it should work. You could read a non-fiction book about reading or any other topic you find interesting.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments got it...i'm looking for a good one on dog training right now, so hopefully i'll find something and yep he does

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

Training a dog sounds like much more fun than dusting- I have friends that liked The Monks of New Skete's methods.

message 13: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I think I am going to try to quit pushing off Eat, Pray, Love and read it for part A since I'd much rather be traveling.

For part B, would The Help work?

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "I think I am going to try to quit pushing off Eat, Pray, Love and read it for part A since I'd much rather be traveling.

For part B, would The Help work?"

Yes it would

message 15: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments If anyone is interested in a very light mystery, I just read Dusted To Death by Barbara Colley, which is part (not the first) of a series about Charlotte LaRue who runs a cleaning service.

message 16: by Sandy (new)

I found this list, for the mystery lovers among us...

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/blog/cozy...

message 17: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3824 comments Oh, dear! I love to clean! What would I do if I could not clean or read...hmm. How about a book on writing? Starting from Scratch

I sometimes think I would like to do some writing but am saving it for retirement. :)

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Sandy wrote: "I found this list, for the mystery lovers among us...

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/blog/cozy..."

Thanks Sandy!

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Bea wrote: "Oh, dear! I love to clean! What would I do if I could not clean or read...hmm. How about a book on writing? Starting from Scratch

I sometimes think I would like to do some wri..."

That works for A

message 20: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3824 comments Thanks, Dimrose!

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments The Undomestic Goddess would work for part B, since she works as a maid.

message 22: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Will Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris work for part B? Lily runs a cleaning service

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments Hurray no dusting or dishes!!! Didn't know there was an official day for that..now I don't have to feel guilty.

Every year I sit down and read The Old Farmer's Almanac from cover to cover getting ready to put in my garden. Does it count as a book?

message 24: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments would you accept a concierge as domestic help? wikipedia states that concierges who work in apartment buildings do the same duties as a butler.

i'm thinking of The Elegance of the Hedgehog, where renee is a concierge in an upscale apartment building.

thanks for your help! :)

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Sheila wrote: "Will Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris work for part B? Lily runs a cleaning service"

yes

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

Robin wrote: "Hurray no dusting or dishes!!! Didn't know there was an official day for that..now I don't have to feel guilty.

Every year I sit down and read The Old Farmer's Almanac from cover to cover gettin..."

The Old Farmer's Almanac 2011 works for A. I use it for my garden too!

message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

kiki wrote: "would you accept a concierge as domestic help? wikipedia states that concierges who work in apartment buildings do the same duties as a butler.

i'm thinking of [book:The Elegance of the Hedgeho..."

A concierge works

message 28: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Do nannies work? I was thinking about Bad Marie.

message 29: by Dlmrose (new)

Gayla wrote: "Do nannies work? I was thinking about Bad Marie."

Nannies work

message 30: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Would The Kitchen House work?

message 31: by Dlmrose (new)

Lahni wrote: "Would The Kitchen House work?"

Slavery and indentureship are the sinister sides of domestic service, but they will work for this task

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Could cooking or gardening count as things you'd do to avoid housework? I know some people consider them chores, but I really enjoy doing both.

message 33: by Dlmrose (new)

Katie wrote: "Could cooking or gardening count as things you'd do to avoid housework? I know some people consider them chores, but I really enjoy doing both."

Cooking and gardening are fine. Those are the things that keep me from my chores

message 34: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Katie wrote: "Could cooking or gardening count as things you'd do to avoid housework? I know some people consider them chores, but I really enjoy doing both."

Ooh. I would way rather plant some flowers than scrub some toilets!! :)

message 35: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 680 comments Just a recommendation, I'm reading The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga and the main character is a driver/servant. I'm enjoying it.

message 36: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments Would The Baby Signing Book: Includes 350 ASL Signs for Babies and Toddlers work? I want to learn this and start teaching my baby. I'm mostly asking because I assume a lot of the book is pictures of signs so I want to make sure it counts! If not, I'm thinking The Baby Food Bible: A Complete Guide to Feeding Your Child, from Infancy On so I can learn about feeding the little guy and making my own baby food. Thanks!

message 37: by Dlmrose (new)

Maggie wrote: "Would The Baby Signing Book: Includes 350 ASL Signs for Babies and Toddlers work? I want to learn this and start teaching my baby. I'm mostly asking because I assume a lot of the b..."

Either would work, it's up to you to decide if you think the ASL book is "enough" of a book.

message 38: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments Okay! Thanks for answering! I think I'll have to see after I get them.

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments Would A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail work for part A. I know that I would much rather be out exploring the outdoors/unknown than cleaning (heck, I'd rather be doing almost anything else!)

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Michelle wrote: "Would A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail work for part A. I know that I would much rather be out exploring the outdoors/unknown than cleaning (heck, I'..."

It does.

message 41: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments One of my favorite things to do is teach my dog tricks and play with my dog. I was wondering if 50 Games to Play with Your Dog work for the non fiction?

message 42: by Dlmrose (new)

Jenn Renee wrote: "One of my favorite things to do is teach my dog tricks and play with my dog. I was wondering if 50 Games to Play with Your Dog work for the non fiction?"

That works. Have fun!

message 44: by Dlmrose (new)

Melissa W wrote: "Would '67: The Maple Leafs, Their Sensational Victory, and the End of an Empire work for Part A? I am a big NHL fan."

That works

message 45: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganmarble) | 300 comments Can I read To Hate Like This Is to Be Happy Forever it's about the UNC-Duke basketball rivalry, and as a UNC student, I'd much rather watch basketball than clean :)

message 46: by Dlmrose (new)

Meagan wrote: "Can I read To Hate Like This Is to Be Happy Forever it's about the UNC-Duke basketball rivalry, and as a UNC student, I'd much rather watch basketball than clean :)"

sure, have fun

message 47: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments For Part A, might I read The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century? I'd much rather be reading and thinking about history than cleaning, and it's good research for a story I'm writing, which is something else I'd rather be doing than disturbing the dust in my house, which, if you ask me, has a right to peace and quiet as much as any of us.

message 48: by Dlmrose (new)

Jayalalita wrote: "For Part A, might I read The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century? I'd much rather be reading and thinking about history than ..."

Dust is a protective finish for fine furniture, but it is harmful to books, so I need to read them to keep them tidy

That works- I've heard good things about it too.

message 49: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10800 comments Mod
Dlmrose wrote: "Dust is a protective finish for fine furniture, but it is harmful to books, so I need to read them to keep them tidy"

LOL

message 50: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments Would poetry count as nonfiction for part A? One of my favorite things to do instead of housework is write poetry, but I don't really know if it fits here.

« previous 1