The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.8 - From a Different Perspective

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 19, 2011 05:35AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10898 comments Mod
15.8 -- From a Different Perspective
Read a novel written from a unique point of view. For example, it could be written in 2nd person, from a non-human perspective, from multiple perspectives, or it could be a retelling of a story from a different perspective. Examples: Bright Lights, Big City (written in 2nd person), The Art of Racing in the Rain or The Book Thief (written from a non-human perspective), In the Time of the Butterflies or My Sister's Keeper (each chapter is written from a different character's perspective), Wide Sargasso Sea (retelling of Jane Eyre from the madwoman in the attic's perspective) or Grendel (Beowulf from the monster's perspective). Epistolary novels would work, too. Examples: The Color Purple, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Bridget Jones's Diary, etc. Required: If the different point of view is not obvious from the GR description of the book, state how it qualifies as a different perspective.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 22, 2011 10:02AM) (new)

Approved
Books written in first-person plural

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

chucklesthescot For 'a retelling of a story from different perspective' would books like Henry VIII, Wolfman, Little Women and Werewolves and Mr Darcy, Vampyre be allowed?

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

chucklesthescot wrote: "For 'a retelling of a story from different perspective' would books like Henry VIII, Wolfman, Little Women and Werewolves and Mr Darcy, Vampyre be allowed?"

Yes.

chucklesthescot Brilliant! Thank you for the quick response.

message 7: by ♥Meagan♥ (last edited Feb 19, 2011 09:26PM) (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments I was wondering- would Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire be okay? It's the Wizard of Oz from one of the Wicked Witches' perspective.

message 8: by Kristina Simon (new)

Meagan wrote: "I was wondering- would Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire be okay? It's the Wizard of Oz from one of the Wicked Witches' perspe..."

Definitely. That one's on my list, too ;o).

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7546 comments does it have to be the complete story - I have An Assembly Such as This, Duty and Desire, These Three Remain on the pile, its Pride and Prejudice told from Mr Darcy's perspective, but its done in three books...could I just read one of them?

message 10: by Kristina Simon (new)

Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "does it have to be the complete story - I have An Assembly Such as This, Duty and Desire, These Three Remain on the pile, its Pride and Prejudice told from..."

I had no idea there were all these retellings out there! But, to answer your question, yes you'd only need to read one of them.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7546 comments ohh there are tons of re-tellings, I saw one at target the other day for a re-telling of Lady Susan which is one of Austen's lesser known...lots of sequels too

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina (stinalynne04) How about Flirt Club? It is written as a bunch of letters sent back and forth between friends.

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Christina wrote: "How about Flirt Club? It is written as a bunch of letters sent back and forth between friends."

Yes, letters work.

message 14: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments How about The Wild Things?

message 15: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Does this list appear to be accurate? http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/30...
Specifically I am looking at Pamela: Or Virtue Rewarded

message 16: by Kristina Simon (new)

Erin (NY) wrote: "How about The Wild Things?"

Looks like a different take on the story to me. It'll work.

message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jennifer N. wrote: "Does this list appear to be accurate? http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/30...
Specifically I am looking at Pamela: Or Virtue Rewarded"

Of the books on the list I've read, it seems pretty accurate (although I seem to remember 84, Charing Cross Road being nonfiction). Regardless, I checked out the Google preview of Pamela: Or Virtue Rewarded and it is, indeed, an epistolary novel so it would work.

message 18: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments So would Pride and Prejudice and Zombieswork? I think so, just want to make sure! Thanks.

message 19: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) The Fates Will Find Their Way. Hannah Pittard will work, right? It's told in first-person plural.

message 20: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments I was thinking of reading Goodnight Tweetheart, which is mostly written in "tweets"- just want to make sure it's ok- thanks!

message 21: by Kristina Simon (new)

Maggie wrote: "So would Pride and Prejudice and Zombieswork? I think so, just want to make sure! Thanks."

Yes.

message 22: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 22, 2011 09:55AM) (new)

Gayla wrote: "The Fates Will Find Their Way. Hannah Pittard will work, right? It's told in first-person plural."

Edited -- First person plural works.

message 23: by Kristina Simon (new)

Fran wrote: "I was thinking of reading Goodnight Tweetheart, which is mostly written in "tweets"- just want to make sure it's ok- thanks!"

Yes, that will work.

message 24: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments How about Terrier/Bloodhound? The books are told through diary entries of the main character.

Or the Bartimaeus books by Jonathan Stroud? They are told from the perspective of a demon.

message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

Isabell wrote: "How about Terrier/Bloodhound? The books are told through diary entries of the main character.

Or the Bartimaeus books by Jonathan Stroud? They are told fr..."

Any of these will work. Terrier/Bloodhound are epistolary novels. And the description of the Bartimaeus books says "the story switches back and forth from Bartimaeus's first-person point of view to third-person narrative about Nathaniel" so it switches perspectives (and one of those perspectives is a demon's). All good!

message 26: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments What aboutThe Wise Man's Fear?
The hero is narrating the story, but he is telling it to a Chronicler who has searched far and wide for this very famous person who has been in hiding (living under an assumed name for years). The story is also being told over the period of three days and this book, the second book is the "second day". So it shifts in time and POV. Its been so long since I read the first one I can't remember if the "present day" chapters are told from the POV of the Chronicler or in third person.

message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "What aboutThe Wise Man's Fear?
The hero is narrating the story, but he is telling it to a Chronicler who has searched far and wide for this very famous person who has been in hiding..."

Hard to say from the description. In the description of the 1st book,
The Name of the Wind, Bookmarks magazine talks about the "shifting narrative that keeps the action moving." So, if the 2nd book is the same, it will work but you may not be able to tell until you read it.

message 28: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments So, if the 2nd book is the same, it will work but you may not be able to tell until you read it.

That's my concern, too, and it will probably be a doorstop book. I'll wait until all the other tasks come out, if it fits more than one then it might be worth the time to read under pressure. i think it took me 6 months on and off to read the first one!

message 29: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments How about The Storyteller by Sharon Tillotson? Note the description calls her a 'Soul' which I supposed is in 1st person but would you classify it as non-human as technically she's not 'alive' (ie. in a human body)?

message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Karen wrote: "How about The Storyteller by Sharon Tillotson? Note the description calls her a 'Soul' which I supposed is in 1st person but would you classify it as non-human as technically she's ..."

Yes, I'd qualify it as a non-human, or at least a "different," perspective. So it would work.

message 31: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Thanks, Kristi

message 32: by Ashlea (new)

Ashlea Daune (ashyydaune) | 45 comments Would Dream Factory Work?

message 33: by Kristina Simon (new)

Ashlea wrote: "Would Dream Factory Work?"

From the Google Preview it looks like the chapters alternate between Ella and Luke's point of view. So, yes, it would work.

message 34: by Ashlea (new)

Ashlea Daune (ashyydaune) | 45 comments Okay, thank you(:

message 35: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Would The Host work for this?

message 36: by Kristina Simon (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "Would The Host work for this?"

From the Google preview it looks like it's told in 1st person in Wanderer's point of view. If it's that way throughout the book then no it wouldn't work.

message 37: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments All right I figured I would ask since Wanderer is not technically a "human" (just a soul in a human's body)

message 38: by Amanda (last edited Feb 25, 2011 05:10AM) (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Hi for the people who are a tiny bit confused what does "Epistolary" mean? Does that mean letter or diary format? Do other formats fall under this category? Thanks! (I plan on reading Bridget Jones's Diary because I own it and have never read it and it's listed as an example, but I'm not sure what other books would count)

message 39: by Kristina Simon (new)

Amanda wrote: "Hi for the people who are a tiny bit confused what does "Epistolary" mean? Does that mean letter or diary format? Do other formats fall under this category? Thanks! (I plan on reading Bridget J..."

An epistolary novel is one written as a series of documents. Historically, that meant letters and diary or journal entries (and sometimes postcards). However, in more recent years novels written as a series of e-mails, blog posts, Tweets, Post-It notes, memos, etc. have come out and are also considered epistolary. Hope that helps! And, if you find one you think might work but you're not sure just ask...

message 40: by Cindy AL (last edited Feb 26, 2011 10:55AM) (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Would this one work?

The Attenbury Emeralds

It is the completion of a an old manuscript of Doorthy Sayers.

message 41: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "Would this one work?

The Attenbury Emeralds."

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think this one is going to work. It's not actually a retelling of Lord Peter Wimsey's first case, it's more like an extension. And, even though this book was written by Jill Paton Walsh, it appears it's still from Lord Wimsey's point of view.

The book that Walsh finished for Sayers was actually Thrones, Dominations but since Walsh finished it in the same voice Sayer's started it in, it's not really a new perspective either. Sorry.

message 42: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Thats OK, I didn't think it would fit, I'm trying to get a feel for what you are looking for outside of POV. Thanks

message 43: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments Would The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters work for this? From what I understand, its a book of letters.

Thanks!

message 44: by Kristina Simon (new)

Juli wrote: "Would The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters work for this? From what I understand, its a book of letters."

Yes, that works.

message 45: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments For multiple perspectives, would Sister Carrie work? It is told from the perspective of a woman who goes the the city and from the man who loves her.

message 46: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments FYI, there is a new book out, The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by Benjamin Hale, that is supposedly told by a chimpanzee. I have only read reviews of it and may use it for this task.

message 47: by Kristina Simon (new)

Beth NC wrote: "For multiple perspectives, would Sister Carrie work? It is told from the perspective of a woman who goes the the city and from the man who loves her."

Yes.

message 48: by Kristina Simon (new)

Donna Jo wrote: "FYI, there is a new book out, The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore by Benjamin Hale, that is supposedly told by a chimpanzee. I have only read reviews of it and may use it for this task."

Oooo... That sounds good and it would certainly fit.

message 49: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will ttfn work, its written in text.

message 50: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jenn Renee wrote: "will ttfn work, its written in text."

It certainly will.

« previous 1