Start by marking “These Three Remain (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #3)” as Want to Read:
These Three Remain (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #3)

These Three Remain

(Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #3)

The exciting conclusion to the Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman trilogy recounts the climactic events of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice from its enigmatic hero's point of view.

One of the most beloved romantic heroes in all of literature, Fitzwilliam Darcy remains an enigma even to Jane Austen's most devoted fans. No longer. With this concluding volume in the Fitzwilliam

Published January 2nd 2007 by Touchstone (first published October 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about These Three Remain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Three Remain

Maria Clara
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vamos a ver, ¿qué se supone debo hacer yo ahora con este síndrome de Estocolmo? ¿Qué se supone debe hacer una cuando ha sido víctima de un secuestro literario? No hay derecho, no, no lo hay.
Jenny
Aug 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I am really reviewing the entire trilogy, since it is impossible to simply pick up one of these. As a rendering of Darcy's life during "Pride and Prejudice", Aidan does very well when she sticks to the plot set forth in P&P. Her portrayal of Darcy's character and inner life, and the fundamental changes in him after he is refused by Elizabeth, are well written and do the character justice. She also brings Georgiana to life very well, giving her a deeper dimension P&P does not allow, and a ...more
Jared
Oct 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like Pride and Prejudice
The final installment of Pamela Aidan's adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice continues Mr. Darcy's confusion over and pursuit of Elizabeth Bennett, and comes to a satisfying and happy conclusion. The book is well written, and a little smoother than the first book in the trilogy (An Assembly Such as This).

I think a lot of men will find Mr. Darcy's emotional obsession with Elizabeth to be a little heavy-handed (consider Dave Barry's definitive treatise on the topic of male/female relati
Kim
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
While cleaning out a closet the other day, I came across two of the many books that have been published in recent years about the characters and story of "Pride and Prejudice." I had read them both a couple years ago. One ("Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife") was horrendous (basically a cheap romance novel in a puffed-up British accent), and the other one was very good--"An Assembly Such as This," the first in a Fitzwilliam Darcy trilogy written by librarian Pamela Aidan. Aidan's books chronicle and expand ...more
Daniella
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pamela Aidan's Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman series is just brilliant, but it's not for everybody. I understand that purists may not appreciate the additional things that Aidan came up with, such as the new set of characters (Dy, Lady Sylvanie, Fletcher, for example) and "behind-the-scenes" events like those that happened at Norwycke Castle. Also, the series is rather long; Aidan has a tendency to be verbose.

But it's because of these that made it a 5-star book for me. I think that all those thing
Melissa
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Melissa by: someone who doesn't mind the massacre of a classic
Shelves: 2012-challenge
Call me a purist. When you have a classic like Pride and Prejudice, and wonderfully complex characters in Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy, you don't mess with it. Unless your very intent is to "mess with it" (i.e. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - haven't read it, but sounds intriguing).

If your stated purpose in writing is to tell the same story from a different point of view, then tell the SAME STORY from a different point of view. Obviously, some gaps need to be filled in, since there'
Nicole D.
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you are reading this review I am taking it that you have read the original novel and the first two books in the trilogy if you have not then don't read this review as there will be spoilers.

Just when Darcy has vowed to forget Elizabeth. He meets her again when he makes his yearly visit to Rosing Park to see his Aunt Catherine and Cousin Anne. Elizabeth is staying with her friend Charlotte who married his aunt's parson Mr Collins. So begins the rest of Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy's PoV.
steph
Review December 2016: Still as great as I remember. I do recommend skipping the parts that involved the people/mystery Darcy had in book #2. They really don't add much to the story -also I really just want Elizabeth to get to Pemberley already.

Original review August 2012: "To her, he was the last man; for him, she seemed the only woman. Could fate have fashioned a more perfect twist or held him in any more derision?" -pg 148.

I wish I could put into words how much I adore this book. I started re
K.
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reread series 5/13
Enjoyed again immensely. This time appreciated the familial relationships, particularly Darcy & Georgiana. Reread the real thing at same time and felt, again, that all in all, Aidan did a pretty fair job of recreating.

This book takes Darcy from Elizabeth's rejection to just beyond the end of "Pride & Prejudice."

The thing I liked the very best about this book is that Darcy's biggest problem with what Elizabeth said about him at the rejection was that he did not beha
Christina
Dec 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These Three Remain is the third book in the Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman trilogy and by far my favorite. Aidan created a Darcy that made sense, a feat few Pride & Prejudice “FanFiction” stories have accomplished. In part because, in my opinion, she had a good sense of who Darcy was as a whole person, how he thought, what drove him to do the things he did, the type of brother and friend he was. So many others just steal all of the conversations from Austen and then add in the thoughts they th ...more
Vaarin
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: deep, well-written
Book 3 of the "A novel of Fitzwilliam Darcy Gentleman", trilogy.

Enters with the trip to Rosings at Easter and it took me a while to get engaged in this last instalment as the pace dropped considerably. After the initial meeting between ODC, it took 60-70 pages before they meet again. The pages was filled with Darcy's reflections and I must say that as the previous book contained little else, I was overly ripe for some ODC interaction.
The disastrous Hunsford proposal came and went, without any
Sheila Majczan
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read the three books in this trilogy in paperback and before I began posting reviews. I do plan to reread all those some day and will then post a detailed review. I have read several other P&P variations told from Darcy's POV and enjoyed them. Hurd's is my favorite but this author wrote hers long before he came to the game.
Caitlin
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ok, Pam...can I call you Pam? Let's have a little chat, shall we?

If you want to write trashy romance novels, then you just go right ahead and write some trashy romance novels. No one will judge. Promise, there is plenty of readership to support that genre. But whatever you do, please, PLEASE, keep that stuff away from my Jane Austen. I mean, I gave you a chance, the first book in the series was decent enough to make me want to read the second. The second book was aweful...really, just plain usel
Chinmayee
Aug 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
This series made me gag. Book 1 was alright- largely a rehashing of the original story. Her elizabeth was not not half as charming as austen's elizabeth. This one is- can't quite place it- but something is not right. Aidan retains all the original dialogue- but her elizabeth is not the lizzy we all love and adore. And *gasp*- the extensive descriptions of his wardrobe and his ablutions and his breeches- such useless details.

I skipped book 2 entirely - at least after the first few chapters becau
Ivanna Romero
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Él quería su corazón, que ella se lo entregara total y libremente, o no quería nada. "

He empezado bien el año.
Esta faceta de Darcy me ha hecho cambiar varias opiniones sobre él en el libro original, nunca fui fan de los fanfic; pero esta está tan bien redactada y contextualizada, que no se nota la diferencia entre la pluma de Jane Austen y la de Pamela; salvo que ya basada en el análisis y la creación de caracteres y personalidades el camino de Pamela fue muchos más fácil a la hora de escribir
Shannon
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Downgrade to two stars because a story that took Austen 250 pages to write shouldn't take anybody else 700.
Claudia
Un 2.5 en realidad. Me ha resultado muy entretenida, más de lo que esperaba; pero no he conseguido "creérmelo" del todo, lo que al fin de cuentas supongo que habrá sido la intención de la autora al escribirlo.
Galena Sanz
2.5 Al final he vuelto a caer y lo he leído.
Como me sucedió con los anteriores, estaba aburrida, apática, no me apetecía nada para leer, vi este en el e-reader, lo abría para ver como empezaba, seguí y seguí... y aquí estoy. ¿Quiere eso decir que me ha gustado más que el anterior? Sí. ¿Es una gran libro? Uff...

No era difícil que superara a ese segundo libro que Pamela Aidan se sacó de no sé donde, un libro que no tiene nada que ver con Orgullo y prejuicio más que compartir el nombre del protagon
Debora M | Nasreen
Bellissima conclusione di questa fedele interpretazione del romanzo Orgoglio e Pregiudizio visto dal punto di vista di Mr. Darcy.
In alcuni punti ho trovato Darcy leggermente fuori dal tracciato lasciato da Miss Austen, forse troppo damerino o, meglio, fin troppo aperto ad esporre i suoi sentimenti ad amici e servitori.

Bella la figura di Fletcher, che rappresenta in un certo senso la "coscienza" inconsapevole del suo signore.

Molto affascinante, anche se poco credibile, il personaggio di Dy, l'ami
Grace Viray
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Out of the three, this last installment to the series is by far my favorite. Pamela Aidan's attention to detail astounded me, with how she was able to adhere to canon, and at the same time stretch the reader's imagination all the more with the added scenes, dialogues, and development of her original characters. Reading it felt natural, as if it is really an extension and exploration of Darcy's thoughts. Truth be told, this is the only book in the series that made me consult canon, and read the 2 ...more
PJ
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't have anything to say except I cried like a ninny at the end. I didn't want this to end. What's funny is it had nothing to do with Elizabeth, I just loved seeing P&P through Darcy's eyes. How he came to find fault in his actions and set out to change his behavior. How he fixed on Elizabeth and couldn't imagine how to be with her or without her. I loved the detail of the embroidered threads he carried about. I loved the glimpses into society, and class, and character. Yes, I agree that ...more
Brigid
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoyed Pride & Prejudice.
Kwoomac
Perfectly satisfying end to this P & P fan fiction trilogy. I read that the author based her story not on Jane Austin's version, but on the movie starring Keira knightly. In this story, Elizabeth and Georgiana meet and become friends when Lizzie was at the inn with her aunt and uncle. Why change this? If you're retelling the story from Darcy's perspective, shouldn't it be the same story? I was wondering if they met in the movie.

The author does refer to some characters in book 2, but I think
Joelle
*contented sigh*

So satisfying.

I love watching Darcy change. He really was oblivious to his flaws and when Elizabeth abruptly brought them to his attention he pridefully rejects what she says. It takes time and advice from others who love him before he is completely humbled and starts working on himself.

Also can somebody start a petition for this author to write another book (or three) about Georgiana Darcy and Dy Brougham? I ship them SO hard. Dy is a dream. One of my all time favorite tropes i
Debbie
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was the best of the series!! I loved getting Darcy's point of view on the refused proposal and his taking inventory of his personality. He has a much more expressed love for Elizabeth in this book than Jane Austin displays from Elizabeth toward him in Pride and Prejudice. I Love That!!! It's also fun to learn the behind the scenes of the Wickam/Lydia story and his fixing the Bingley/Jane situation. Although I only read 1/2 of the second book - I didn't feel like I missed out on too much goi ...more
PigiSi
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mr-darcy
4 well deserved stars for the last book of the series. Liked all the little details that made this story feel genuine and loved the inner thoughts Darcy had making him the more likeable and swoonworthy.
Crt
Puffff, tanto citar a Shakespeare (como esos personajes que citan la Biblia a cada minuto).

Y Darcy me parece excesivamente idealizado. No cuadra con mi propia composición de lugar. Pero ese no es el problema, es que se ma ha hecho ñoño.

Resumiendo, que sí, pero no jajajajaja.
Rebekah
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-p
So good! I got a little bogged down in the beginning, but I had just finished the 2nd novel and reading them back to back was a lot.

The insights into Darcy's thoughts and feelings around both proposals was perfection. His valet ending up with Elizabeth's maid was a bit much, but I'll take it. Really enjoyable - thank you Pamela Aidan for filling this gap!
Lenore
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pride and Prejudice from the voice and viewpoint of Mr Darcy. Really interesting. However when I finished I realized it was part of a three volume set. I really enjoyed it - but three whole books to get through the story is a bit over the top. She does keep right on track from Jane Austin's book - and adds a lot more details. It is worth the read.
  • By Force of Instinct
  • None But You (Frederick Wentworth, Captain, #1)
  • Captain Wentworth's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #3)
  • Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman
  • Willoughby's Return: A Tale of Almost Irresistible Temptation
  • North By Northanger: Or The Shades of Pemberley (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #3)
  • The Journey
  • The Darcy Connection
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Only Mr. Darcy Will Do
  • Darcy's Passions: Pride and Prejudice Retold Through His Eyes
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
Pamela Aidan grew up in small towns outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
She graduated from high school with the desire to be a history teacher, but changed her major to Library Science after her first year at college.Later, she earned a Masters in Library and Information Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Ms. Aidan has worked as a librarian in a wide variety of settings

Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman (4 books)
  • Young Master Darcy: A Lesson in Honour
  • An Assembly Such as This  (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #1)
  • Duty and Desire (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #2)
“He loved her. It was as simple and as complicated as that.” 27 likes
“Very comforting, that-choosing your truth. Makes life quite tolerable when lived on such terms, does it not? Well, at least for a bit.... Until one brushes up against another's truth whose fur does not lie in the same direction.” 2 likes