The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.6 - The Truth Is...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 19, 2011 05:33AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
15.6 -- The Truth Is...
Sometimes I read a novel and wonder what's true and what the author has made up. For this task, choose a novel that contained a topic you'd like to know more about and read a non-fiction book about this topic. Example: A couple of years ago I read Water for Elephants and I've wanted to know more about circuses ever since so I could read non-fiction book about a circus or some aspect of circus life. Required: Tell us the title of novel that inspired your choice.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments just to double check - I recently read The Gargoyle where a significant portion is about him recovering from severe burns, so I can read Burn Unit: Saving Lives After The Flames

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "just to double check - I recently read The Gargoyle where a significant portion is about him recovering from severe burns, so I can read [book:Burn Unit: Saving Lives After The Flame..."

Yes, that would work.

message 6: by Mrs.soule (last edited Feb 19, 2011 02:17PM) (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) So is it just the non-fiction selection that has to be read this season or is this a two-book task?

message 7: by Kristina Simon (new)

Mrs.soule wrote: "So is it just the non-fiction selection that has to be read this season or is this a two-book task?"

One book, just the non-fiction, needs to be read this season. You could have read the novel at any time.

message 8: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Thanks Kristi!

message 9: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Feb 19, 2011 05:29PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Mmmm...I just finished Back On Blossom Street where one of the characters owns a knit shop and the book ties together all the people in a knitting class she has. Maybe I will read a book about knitting so would Yarn: Remembering the Way Home work?

message 10: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments i read Pagan Babies several years ago and was intrigued by his depiction of the rwandan genocide. i've read other non-fiction books about the genocide, but would like to read another: Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda. would it work, since i've already read other non-fiction books about the subject? thanks for your help! :)

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

kiki wrote: "i read Pagan Babies several years ago and was intrigued by his depiction of the rwandan genocide. i've read other non-fiction books about the genocide, but would like to read another..."

As long as you still want to know more about it (and it sounds like you do), then yes that will work.

message 12: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments I have a general question regarding the book that inspired the truth book. Can this inspiring novel be one that we read for the Spring 2011 challenge for another task?

message 13: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments thanks, kristi! i absolutely do! :)

message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sheila wrote: "I have a general question regarding the book that inspired the truth book. Can this inspiring novel be one that we read for the Spring 2011 challenge for another task?"

If when you read the novel it sparks an interest that you'd like to explore further, sure.

message 15: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Thanks Kristi

message 16: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Does it need to be a non-fiction, researched, sort of textbook-y type book, or can it be a memoir of someone who survived an experience?

For example, I have a deep love for the show "Big Love" and I have read several books depicting polygamist lifestyle (such as The 19th Wife)

Could I read Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs ? It's non-fiction definitely, but it's her personal experience -- she didn't go out and do heavey research on the topic.

message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

Christine US wrote: "Does it need to be a non-fiction, researched, sort of textbook-y type book, or can it be a memoir of someone who survived an experience? For example, I have a deep love for the show "Big Love" a..."

Memoirs are fine. James Frey notwithstanding, they're generally considered nonfiction ;o).

message 18: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Ive read a couple of books in the last couple of years that were set in the Himalayas, in Tibet and in the Hindu Kush. I would like to learn more about the people in this region. Could I read Little Princes One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan ?

It is in the Himalayas, but in Nepal, not Tibet

message 19: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments I've recently read two books where DNA testing and mapping have played a big role. I'd like to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Would that work?

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "Ive read a couple of books in the last couple of years that were set in the Himalayas, in Tibet and in the Hindu Kush. I would like to learn more about the people in this region. Could I read[bookc..."

Yes, that would work.

message 21: by Kristina Simon (new)

Lahni wrote: "I've recently read two books where DNA testing and mapping have played a big role. I'd like to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Would that work?"

Yes.

message 22: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is an excellent book.

message 23: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Cindy AL wrote: "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is an excellent book."

I had it on hold at the library for the last challenge but it was a long hold list and I didn't get it in time. It looks very good! And I'm glad there is a spot for it here.

message 24: by Kristina Simon (new)

It is excellent. I read it about the same time I read The Help and it has similar themes (race relations). It turned out to be one of my 5 star books for the Fall 2010 challenge (along with The Help ;o)). I hope you enjoy it!

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I have read several books I love about the Civil War. Could I read The South Was Right!?

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kathryn wrote: "I have read several books I love about the Civil War. Could I read The South Was Right!?"

Yes. That fits.

message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1495 comments I'm a major Harry Potter geek. Would The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works work?

message 28: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sue T wrote: "I'm a major Harry Potter geek. Would The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works work?"

Yeah, that works.

message 29: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I have a questions on this task. I read mostly books of mythical creatures... vampires, faeries, and other sorts. I know they are mythical creatures but I would like to read a non fiction about the myths themselves. Would this be ok?

message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jenn Renee wrote: "I have a questions on this task. I read mostly books of mythical creatures... vampires, faeries, and other sorts. I know they are mythical creatures but I would like to read a non fiction about the..."

A nonfiction book about the myths would work.

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments I really tried to find a NF similar to the Help, because i'm listening to it right now and loving it (even if you've read it, the audiobook is brillent - highly recommended!) - but couldn't really find anything...I need to read Henrietta Lacks as well

Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "It is excellent. I read it about the same time I read The Help and it has similar themes (race relations). It turned out to be one of my 5 star books for the Fall 2010 challenge (alo..."

message 32: by Kristina Simon (new)

Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "I need to read Henrietta Lacks as well"

Having read both books, I think if you're interested in learning more about race relations during the time period The Help is set in, reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks could give you some insight. That pairing would work for this task if you wanted to do that.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments i found a good one on burn units after reading the Gargoyle which also interested me - plus the wait at the library for Henrietta Lacks is like 4 months (still!)

message 34: by Kristina Simon (new)

Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i found a good one on burn units after reading the Gargoyle which also interested me - plus the wait at the library for Henrietta Lacks is like 4 months (still!)"

Wow, 4 months! I'd forgotten you'd asked about the burn unit one. Hopefully that one will be good. But when you get the chance, definitely pick up the Henrietta Lacks book. It's worth the wait...

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments i may cave and end up buying it and then donate to the library

message 36: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i found a good one on burn units after reading the Gargoyle which also interested me - plus the wait at the library for Henrietta Lacks is like 4 months (still!)"

get on the hold list and plan it for the summer challenge. Then it should be about right. :)

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments maybe - good thinking...lol!

message 38: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Possibly a weird one. I read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal this challenge and while I enjoyed it immensely, I missed some of the jokes because I was raised secularly and know next to nothing about the bible. Could I read The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible? I think it would be an accessible way for me to learn more about the subject. Basically, what I'm asking is does the non-fiction book need to be like a history of the subject or more academic approach, or does a personal account like this count as well? Thanks in advance!

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments How does this sound? I have recently discovered the Marked house of night series and I really love them. In this series everytime they do anything religious they cast a sacred circle by dancing. I want to read Sweat Your Prayers: Movement as Spiritual Practice which is a book about using dance as a way to connect to god/the divine/grand biggy in the sky. Is this ok?

message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Riona wrote: "Possibly a weird one. I read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal this challenge and while I enjoyed it immensely, I missed some of the jokes because I was raised..."

No it doesn't have to be an academic approach. It just has to be considered non-fiction. And, the more accessible the better ;o). This pairing will work just fine. Sounds like an interesting book. I could probably stand to read it, too... ;o)

message 41: by Kristina Simon (new)

Amanda wrote: "How does this sound? I have recently discovered the Marked house of night series and I really love them. In this series everytime they do anything religious they cast a sacred circle..."

That works.

message 42: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Riona wrote: "Possibly a weird one. I read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal this challenge and while I enjoyed it immensely, I missed some of the jokes because I was raised..."

I heard that book was fabulous!!!

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments Riona wrote: "Possibly a weird one. I read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal this challenge and while I enjoyed it immensely, I missed some of the jokes because I was raised..."

I want to read both of those!

message 44: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments I enjoyed reading the Percy Jackson books and am curious about greek mythology so I'll read The Complete World of Greek Mythology

message 45: by Kristina Simon (new)

Juli wrote: "I enjoyed reading the Percy Jackson books and am curious about greek mythology so I'll read The Complete World of Greek Mythology"

Enjoy!

message 46: by Stesse (new)

Stesse | 271 comments Like Sue T, I love the Harry Potter books. I have had Mapping the World of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Exploration of the Bestselling Fantasy Series of All Time on my TBR list for a while and was *hoping* that it's NF enough to use for this task? Thanks!!!

message 47: by Kristina Simon (new)

Stesse wrote: "Like Sue T, I love the Harry Potter books. I have had Mapping the World of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Exploration of the Bestselling Fantasy Series of All Time on my TBR list for a ..."

Looks like it's a collection of nonfiction essays analyzing the books. So, yes, it will work. Enjoy!

message 48: by Nicki (new)

Nicki H (nickihermann) I really enjoy Political thrillers - like Vince Flynn's books. Some have the main character protecting the fictional president and the white house has been the scene of the main drama. Would I be able to read In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect

message 49: by Kristina Simon (new)

Nicki wrote: "I really enjoy Political thrillers - like Vince Flynn's books. Some have the main character protecting the fictional president and the white house has been the scene of the main drama. Would I be ..."

That looks like a great match, Nicki. Hope you enjoy it!

message 50: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 263 comments A few months ago, I read An Abundance of Katherines, which is about a boy who is obsessed with trivia and facts and appeared on a trivia game show. I'm been curious about trivia buffs ever since, so would it be ok to read Ken Jennings' book Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs for this task?

Thanks! :)

« previous 1