Start by marking “The South Was Right!” as Want to Read:
The South Was Right!

The South Was Right!

Called "A respite from Yankee history whose exclamation point in some typefaces is rather like a cannon being fired," by The Tampa Tribune-Times, The South Was Right! is a book in its second printing after only three months. Ronald and Donald Kennedy have gotten to the root of post-Civil War dissent. Much of Civil War history is untrue because like most history, it is writ ...more
Published March 31st 1994 by Pelican Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The South Was Right!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The South Was Right!

Rodney Harter
Aug 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
The book claims to have been well researched. There are too many distortions within the first 35 pages that I checked. Furthermore, one becomes highly skeptical of any supposed learned discussion that is fraught with hyperbole and name calling. Basically, the book is intellectually dishonest.
Deanne
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those seeking a leadership education
I very much appreciated the brothers Kennedy taking the time to write this excellent book! We have indeed been fed the 'Victors version' of history in regards to the "War for Southern Independence".
This book caused me to reevaluate what I had been taught and what I had come to believe was the truth about that war of long ago. After reading the thought provoking comments from slaves of the south given after the end of the war, I realized that all was not as we were taught to believe. I even lived
Erik
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
When I moved to South Carolina, I wanted to broaden my horizons and at least appreciate the Deep South's self-vision. All I got out of this book was a series of logical fallacies based on some historical and moral arguments that were more desperate justification than concrete proof.

Before the southern masses jump down my throat, let me say that the South certainly had some reasoning in their decision to succeed: the greatest being a threat to their economic interests and what they perceived as t
Elissa
Nov 06, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: No One Ever
I just wanted to point out that this exists. The South Was Right! was on sale at the Fort Macon gift shop when I visited in September. I had to muffle my laughter/horror from the deadly serious looking lady at the cash register. Hooray NC state parks.
Doug Hauser
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, owned-books
Changed the way that I looked at the Civil War drastically. That comes from a born and raised Yankee who agrees more with the South on states rights and voting requirements.
Barry
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
There are not too many books that relate the "other side" of the story of the war between the states.... confederates were not exclusively racists or slave owners, there were just as many of those types on both sides of the conflict. A fine rebuttal to the attack on southern culture that has been going on since the end of that unecessary war.
Cindylou
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, well documented book. Some say that the language is a bit intemperate, but I have seen far more intemperate language in books by "respected" historians like Samuel Eliot Morrison (but that is alright because he says "politically correct" things.) Considering how much the South has been trashed by hypocritical Northern "historians" who cover up or excuse things like the fact that the sanctimonious New England "abolitionists" grew fat and rich on the slave trade(which they continued in ...more
May 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
About as scholarly as The Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky.
Christopher
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Americans who wish to know the truth
Recommended to Christopher by: William Carter
The TRUTH about the South.
Pat Dugan
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for all who WISH the South would have won!
Rory Aylward
Sep 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Lost Cause Apologist nonsense by two charlatans masquerading as historians.

Someone cited this as a reference in a debate and after trying to read it I was embarrassed for them. It must have required a lot of effort to get all this nonsense in one little book, but the authors were clearly determined.

This would make a good litmus test; if you give this book to someone and they like it, then they are too dumb to discuss the Civil War with.
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
It single-handedly balances the one-sided story I learned in school (while in no way arguing for slavery).
John Murphy
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A MUST READ for anyone who cares about the truth. Put aside all of your pre-conceived notions and read this book if you believe in freedom. Well researched, cited and presented. If this book doesn't change your perspective, then you just aren't being intellectually honest.

Includes the CSA Constitution and a comparison to the US Constitution...were you taught about THAT in school? Did you know the CSA Constitution specifically addresses abolishing slavery? Did you realize that 90% of the entire U
Jeff Ford
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating apology for southern secession. In no way are the authors presenting an impartial history nor do they pretend to do so. The truth is likely somewhere between the extremes of northern villainy presented in The South Was Right! and the view that the South was on wrong side of history that pervades the mainstream. I found the book to be well written and the author's arguments that a Yankee Myth exists and that the South had a right to secede to be sound.
Chief Straight-arrow
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I learned that Lincoln was the first dictator of America. He was no different than Adolf Shickelgruber, AKA Adolf Hitler. He was like many liberals of today. Ate up with his imagined importance!
Savanna Kaiser
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: civil-war
As you might imagine, this book is hard to describe. The title alone draws much emotion and creates inevitable intrigue. I borrowed it from my brother’s bookshelf, eager to read “the other side” of the history we all grew up knowing. And boy, did this book deliver.

From its first page to its last, there is SO much information and so many pieces of history I’ve never read before. The authors in no way make an argument for slavery, but rather point out the many various motives, first-hand accounts,
Diana Vale Balatico
Mar 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
I would've given this book a zero if I could.

Honestly, from the title I could already tell this would be so biased. I had no idea why I even read a bit of this book. Basically, this is just stating all the wrongs the North did, while depicting that the South was right all along, ignoring why the Union Army fought with them for the first place. And, besides, this country used to be a whole. When the Confederates formed, it was, in my opinion, totally illegitimate. What did the author mean that we
Brandon
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting take on the civil war. While I wouldn't take this as a complete and historically accurate work, I do believe that it relays some arguments that are not made in most pieces about the same topic.

Without any bias between north and south, I do believe this is something a civil war buff should pick up and read through for a unique view point.
Chadbogue
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Southern veiw what it cause the war and much differnet than the Northern view on war that taught in public school.
Roger Quesnell
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Eye opening revelation of history that I never learned. A must read for every government schooled citizen.
Camille Simpson-Russ
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Awesome.
Life Changing.

Terrie Wiederich
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I was born and raised in the Rocky Mountains and consider myself a very patriotic individual. My son, who spent his teen and college years in the south has very strong opinions about the war between the North and the South. I started this book ONLY because I wanted to understand why he is so adamant in his position.
The authors use the term "Evil North" so many times that I had to force myself to keep reading. (After all, I was doing this to try to understand my sons feelings.) I am well read en
Diane Quist
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible book with a Southern Perspective! It's only fair you get their opinion concerning the Civil War.
Chad
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Awesome...the Kennedy's are Confederate national treasures.
Brian Ervin
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Most history is written by the victor, but does the victor always tell the truth? A very well researched and written piece that should be part of any history buffs library.
Douglas Boren
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If only everyone would read this book! People, our history is not what we have been taught. This is a real eye opener!
Meagan Statton
Nov 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Terrible. If negative stars was an option, that's what I would have given it.
Lee
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book. Everyone should read this book.
James Mcentire
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
A pretty good read for those not afraid to be exposed to the other side of the story!
Caleb
Mar 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Few American conflicts are as poorly understood as the Civil War. The modern historical narrative is extremely biased against the South, and there are very few modern historians willing to push back. This book attempts to fill that void, but fails utterly as an academic text, due to the authors' decision to use the book as a soapbox for their own political and social views.

That's not to say the book has zero value. It is very well (if selectively) researched, and is worth looking at for the bib

• Lincoln Unmasked: What You're Not Supposed to Know About Dishonest Abe
  • Lincoln Reconsidered: Essays on the Civil War Era
  • Civil War Curiosities: Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences
  • A Bride Goes West
  • The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past
  • The Puritan Family: Religion and Domestic Relations in Seventeenth-Century New England
  • John Bell Hood: The Rise, Fall, and Resurrection of a Confederate General
  • Sultana: Surviving the Civil War, Prison, and the Worst Maritime Disaster in American History
  • Apostate
  • The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts
  • House of Abraham: Lincoln and the Todds: A Family Divided by War
“The South must put aside the illusion that she will one day be accepted as an equal in this Northern-dominated union. The South must put aside the illusion that the current government is the legitimate outgrowth of the original American Constitutional Republic. These illusions are used by our conquerors to bind the South to this unequal union.” 1 likes
“[I]s life so dear, or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death.3” 0 likes