The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.4 - It's a Repeat

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 19, 2011 07:41AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
15.4 -- It's a Repeat
April 11th is International Louie, Louie Day. In addition, Oceania is the home of many repetitive place names (Pago Pago, Wagga Wagga, and Woy Woy, for example). For this task:
A. Read one book with a word in the title that repeats (Ex: Absalom, Absalom!, My Darling, My Hamburger, What Is the What, I Am What I Am, etc.). Excluded words: a, an, the, and, but, or, to, in, of, as
OR
B. Read two books that have the same word in the title (Ex: Deep Down and Deep Storm, Deception Point and The Face of Deception, PS, I Love You and For the Love of Pete, etc.). If you choose the 2 book option, both books must be written by different authors. Same excluded words as above apply. The words must be exactly the same (light and lights, for example, will not work).

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 27, 2011 08:55AM) (new)

Approved
Repeating numbers in the title -- Ex: 60 Quick Knits in Cascade 220: 20 Hats*20 Scarves*20 Mittens

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 27, 2011 08:56AM) (new)

Will NOT work:
Repeating words in author's name -- Ex: Ford Madox Ford

message 4: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2110 comments How about repetitive author names? I'm thinking specifically of Ford Madox Ford

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Deedee wrote: "How about repetitive author names? I'm thinking specifically of Ford Madox Ford"

No. Titles only. Sorry.

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Heads up! There should be 10 excluded words for this task.
They are: a, an, the, and, but, or, to, in, of, as

As got left off this morning. Sorry!

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments ohhh good one fran! i havent' read that one yet - maybe I should

message 10: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "ohhh good one fran! i havent' read that one yet - maybe I should"

Have heard really good things about it and that's next up in the series for me.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments ditto! the second was better than the first, so I have hopes for the third

message 12: by Robin (last edited Feb 20, 2011 10:21AM) (new)

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments Wanted to know if Paddy Clark Ha Ha Ha would work for your task

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Robin wrote: "Wanted to know if Paddy Clark Ha Ha Ha would work for your task"

Yes it would.

message 14: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments i was JUST coming to ask the same question as Robin. :) yeay!

message 15: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You...there are a few repeats in this one.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 386 comments Would these books work? The reason I ask is because the word "Grace" appears in the subtitle for one of the books:

The God Of Second Chances Experiencing His Grace For The Rest Of Your Life
Experience Grace in Abundance: Ten Strategies for Your Spiritual Life

Heather in KS

message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

Heather KS wrote: "Would these books work? The reason I ask is because the word "Grace" appears in the subtitle for one of the books:

[book:The God Of Second Chances Experiencing His Grace For The Rest Of Your L..."

Subtitles are fine, so yes this would work.

message 18: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments The Sea, The Sea would work.

message 19: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jennifer N. wrote: "The Sea, The Sea would work."

LOL... Can't get much more repetitive than that ;o).

message 20: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Another possibility: Hush, Hush

message 21: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments I'm reading Times Square Red, Times Square Blue for it (luckily I also have to read it for class!) :)

message 23: by Tanya Patrice (new)

Tanya Patrice (tanyapatrice) | 150 comments Looks like my question was asked and answered - about subtitles. So just throwing this book out:

2044 The Problem isn't Big Brother. It's Big Brother, Inc. by Eric Lotke
2044: The Problem isn't Big Brother. It's Big Brother, Inc., Eric Lotke

message 24: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Do words like Ha-Ha and Ya-Ya count as repeats?
The Ha-Ha
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

Lahni wrote: "Do words like Ha-Ha and Ya-Ya count as repeats?
The Ha-Ha
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood"

Yes, they count. Any words except the 10 excluded ones will work.

message 26: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) I think I will be using The City & The City, if anyone is looking for a sci-fi/fantasy suggestion.

message 28: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments I'm thinking I'll use Mirror Mirror for this task.

message 29: by Beth (last edited Feb 27, 2011 08:36AM) (new)

Beth | 665 comments Would you consider a number a word for the purpose of this task?

Specifically, the number 20...60 Quick Knits in Cascade 220: 20 Hats*20 Scarves*20 Mittens

message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Beth F. wrote: "Would you consider a number a word for the purpose of this task?

Specifically, the number 20...60 Quick Knits in Cascade 220: 20 Hats*20 Scarves*20 Mittens"

That will work.

message 31: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Can both books be by the same author? As in Dead Reckoning and A Touch of Dead both by Charlaine Harris

message 32: by Kristina Simon (new)

Beth NC wrote: "Can both books be by the same author? As in Dead Reckoning and A Touch of Dead both by Charlaine Harris"

Nope, sorry, the task description says: If you choose the 2 book option, both books must be written by different authors.

message 33: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments I am going to do "Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang" by Chelsea Handler. It's been a while since I read a "comedy" book, and it is the first e-book I checked out of the library!