Start by marking “Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)” as Want to Read:
Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)

Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse #11)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  109,139 Ratings  ·  6,304 Reviews
Alternative Cover Edition for : B004UNGQM4

With her knack for being in trouble's way, Sookie witnesses the firebombing of Merlotte's, the bar where she works. Since Sam Merlotte is now known to be two-natured, suspicion falls immediately on the anti-shifters in the area. Sookie suspects otherwise, but her attention is divided when she realizes that her lover Eric Northman a
Published May 28th 2011 by Gollancz, Victor Limited (first published May 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Reckoning

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon

Oh. My. God.

I have never been so disappointed and consequently, angry, by a book as I am right now and it is actually hard for me to type. My brain is exploding right now.

gifs

This is going to be a rant. This is going to contain cusses. This is also going to call out Tru Blood. People are going to either like this or not.

First - Tru Blood has killed this series. *cue outrage from fans of the HBO show*

For the record, this is not about those that like the show. I don't but it's not about the fans
Tatiana
May 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: forget it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2011
I am willing to bet that this book was as much of a torture for Charlaine Harris to write as it was for me to read.

There is no juice left in this series. And certainly, there is no author's love. Not only is Sookie's voice no longer recognizable (I just reread books 1-3, so I can in fact tell the difference), but this whole book is simply one huge FAIL.

The characters were altered. Where was cool Pam? Where was sarcastic Eric? Where was chemistry between Sookie and Eric? Where were the human ch
Jayson
(B-) 69% | Satisfactory
Notes: Cozy and familiar, while at the same time sloppy, amateurish and blah. No direction, just seemingly random events.
Megan
Dear Sookie,
You know you are one of my oldest friends, right? I love our yearly visits at your old Stackhouse family home, sitting on the porch, soaking up the sun and drinking iced tea. It’s great to live vicariously through you and hear about the most powerful and sexy supernatural beasts falling over themselves to flirt with and please you. And Eric…. Mmmm =) Anytime you want to tell me all of his dirty little secrets and every sexy thing about him that is okay with me.

But here’s the thing,
Kitten
3 1/2 Stars

I should start off by saying that though the Sookie Stackhouse series isn't my all-time favorite series, Eric Northman IS my all-time favorite fictional character. AND GODDAMN I LOVE ME SOME PAM!

Half of the reason I love these books is the Eric and Pam relationship; I find them endlessly entertaining. Though there weren't enough appearances of them (there never are), there were some comedic bits between the two. I enjoyed the funny jabs at Sookie on Pam's behalf (One scene in-particul
Kasiabadura
May 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
It seems to me that Ms Harris is being more and more influenced by the show, which in case of the novel is a bad thing. Does anybody else have a feeling that the author is setting a scene for a convenient fading out Eric, and a not- so- miraculous reintroduction of Bill? The dialogue between S. and E. is stale and lacks in energy.Whereas, Bill's character all of the sudden shows signs of sense of humour. In short, I wouldn't be surprised if in the end of the series Eric ended up dead, and Bill e ...more
Carol.
May 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious Harris fans only.

Formula for Sookie books:
--nostalgia for her grandmother and a way of life that's been over for about ten years now
--disappointment when nostalgia does not match up with real life
--nail polish
--a sexy dress that shows off her cleavage
--attraction to more than one man
--self-recrimination about attraction to more than one man
--instant orgasmic sex
--judging others for not being Christian/being violent/being sexually 'deviant'
--self-recrimination about being too judgemental
--failing to be a good h
valee
May 05, 2010 marked it as gave-up-on  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I have this feeling we will be disappointed with this installment. I just feel the series needs a closure and it doesn't seem like it. I want more Eric but I don't think I'll get all the Eric I need to get to love this series again. It feels like this book is just gonna be another chapter in the series and not as whole book. I'm not sure if I made myself clear,lol.
LMM
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal-pnr
Welll...This is a solid, "liked it" but more 3.5 stars. If it wasn't for the fact that there MIGHT be a HUGE plot inconsistency in this book (the convo between Sook, Claude & Dermot about Niall & Eric being in cahoots), I would give it 4 stars but I'm trying to figure out if something might actually be a well placed lie by CH or not but I'm not so sure yet.

(**Edited on May 14th. After doing some digging, I think the bit I thought was a plot inconsistency is intentional. See bottom of rev
Sarah (saz101)
***There are some minor spoilers below... allusions to character's feelings/thoughts/actions that could give some plot points away***

Sookie's working her shift in Merlotte's when the bar is firebombed... and it doesn't look like the bomber was human. To make matters worse, an old enemy is out for her blood and the tension between her vampire lover/husband Eric and his progeny Pam with their boss, Victor, is building. The peaceful life Sookie is wishing for seems a distant dream.

A new Sookie book
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
To say it with a quote from the book:

"I've tried to kill you over and over, and you just won't die!"
I almost felt like apologizing.

That's the Sookie Stackhouse series in a nutshell! ;-P

I still love it though! XD
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Review from ZombieHazard.

OMG!!! I’ve been waiting for this book for a year and now it’s finally out!!! It was sooooooo worth the wait!!! Such an amazing book!!! It totally made up for the sh*t that was the previous one!!!

Naaaah I’m just kidding. I so much wished I’d say that after reading Dead Reckoning. But guess what? It sucked even more than Dead in the Family. It simply has no purpose of existence.

If I could just point out all my problems with this book I’d end up wasting all day writing abo
This was another strangely addictive instalment in the series, although things aren’t looking good on certain fronts (view spoiler)
I thought Sookie was a bit naughty to (view spoiler) But yay for the deaths of (view spoiler)

7 out of 10
Alyssa
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
WTH...WTF...Seriously!!!...Speechless...seriously pissed off!

No words, other than the few above, can truly describe how disappointed I am with this book and this series. When I re-discovered my love for reading several years ago, this was one of the first series' that I read and I fell in love with. It will continue to hold a special place in my heart but what I fell in love with is just no more. NEVER, in a million years, did I think I would say I'm looking forward to Season 4 of True Blood m
Veronica Lucero
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
Can't wait!!! I'm counting down the days.... I read the whole series in less then 2 weeks when I discovered them and I seriously need this book asap!

Well I FINALLY got my copy of this absolutely wonderful book! I couldn't put it down, I'm kinda sad that I finished it so quickly...now I miss the characters all over again! LOL, I am at a lost for words about what went down. I don't know whether I should cry or be happy, the new issue with Sookie and Eric is so heartbreaking (for me at least). Bill
Katie Michaels
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sookie, urban-fantasy
Have you ever noticed that every time an enemy of Sookie Stackhouse bites the dust, another is waiting in the wings to make her life miserable? If you think about it, our girl has got a lot of carnage in her wake: from Lorena... to the vamp who killed Hadley... on to Andre and Debbie and Appius Livius. But you cut off the head of one beast and another grows in its place. Our beast du jour for Dead Reckoning is our old pal Victor. He is making life more and more miserable for Eric, and he's an ev ...more
Cheese
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Sookie, I really, really wanted to give you four stars. Truly, I did. Though we haven't known each other long, I've grown extremely fond of you. Unfortunately, I spent much of this story feeling like this:

Fear not, I also have nice things to say, I just wish they outweighed the bad.

First, the bad:

*It should have been condensed. Now, some of the allure of Sookie, for me, is her amusing internal rambling and watching her try to go about a normal way of life. But not for half of the book!!!!! It fe
Catie
It’s going to be difficult to write this review, because even though I finished reading this book this morning, I am having a hard time remembering what it was even about. I didn’t think that it was absolutely horrific, but I was very far from loving it. I read along slowly and with a mild interest, and then it was over. It was very forgettable.

So…there’s a fire-bombing at Merlotte’s, and some other stuff that apparently was perpetrated by one of Sookie’s random enemies from her past that I care
Richard Derus
Rating: 3.8* of five

The Publisher Says: There's a reckoning on the way ...

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in Bon Temps, Louisiana. It's a job which has its own challenges, but now the vampires and the shapeshifters are finally 'out', you'd think the supernaturals would get on with each other. But nothing is that simple in Bon Temps!

... and Sookie has a knack for being in trouble's way; not least when she witnesses the firebombing of Merlotte's, the bar where she works. Since Sam Merlott
Jilly
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
You know the expression "Jumping the Shark" for a television show that has been on too long and gotten horrible? Well, this book series has definitely been to Sea World on a motorcycle.

jump the shark photo: Jump jumpz.gif
I hope he had this book in his hand...

And, although I can be quite a masochist when it comes to finishing a series that I've started, I'm officially done.

throw book photo: book2_zps29c02695.gif
take that, people who told Charlaine Harris to keep writing when she was obviously out of ideas!

Sookie has actually managed to become even more unlikable in t
Yui
Nov 28, 2010 rated it liked it
3.5

It's very tempting to give Dead Reckoning 3stars because I feel it inferior in some ways to past Sookie Stackhouse novels but It isn't fair to grade a book just because I am holding a grudge to events that hasn't even happened in the book yet.

So for years of adoration and sheer insanity it stays with 4 stars on first glance ;)

WARNING!

The following may contain spoilers.

Let me just get this quote out of my mind for it's been bugging me ever since I started reading DR.

...I suffered with
Rubal
May 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The Southern Vampire Mysteries are not great books. Charlaine Harris is not a great author. But I have always enjoyed reading about Sookie’s adventure, so it was inevitable that I read the latest book #11.
There something about these books that I have always liked. Sookie’s narrative is funny. I like the southern feel of the books. Though I have to mention that I don’t have much knowledge about Louisiana or the life of south and I don’t know if it’s an accurate portrayal but it’s entertaining.

(vi
Camille
Jan 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Ok, I'm pissed. I really enjoyed the series up until this point and I really feel like this was simply a contractual obligation. There were some parts that were completely boring and hard to get through. There is so much double talk and all around the subject, that i couldn't get into it. Hell, from the first few pages I noticed that Sookie's voice was changed and it was not in a good way.

What happened?

The things about the characters that we all grew to love (even if they were evil and unjust)
Lighthearted
May 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
Carrie
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Well I was anxiously awaiting the release of this book, hoping it would redeem the series for me after the last one.

Well I regret to say it didn't. Yes, it was better than the last one but it still left me dissatisfied. I'm not sure if it's me who has lost interest in the series or the author (but if you ask me her heart just isn't in it anymore).

I miss the bad ass Eric from the earlier books and wish he would come back. I'm tired of all the Sookie drama (seriously how much trouble can one per
Sue Herbert
May 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Sookie, Sookie, Sookie. Will you make up your mind whether you like vampires or not?

I begin to think Sookie Stackhouse is actually not that nice a person. Perhaps I have over exposed myself, having ploughed my way through all the novels so far in short order, but there are elements on Dead Reckoning which feel awfully contrived. If you were being pursued by people in the rain and wanted to hide in a house, would you think of taking off ALL your clothes and dumping them in a bush? I mean how muc
Pam Nelson
❤ 4 Dead Reckoning Stars ❤

You know, I love book 10… But this book though it is JAM PACKED full of action..
I am NOT liking where the story line is going.

Sigh I feel compelled to keep reading… thought I wished I had stopped at book 10 then my happen existence would stay the same..

But a lass I am a sucker for punishment and I will continue..

I am a little mad at Sookie she freaked out at the end when it was her idea to do what they all did. So why is she all uppity about it. I kinda wanted to b
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
It's a very sad day for me when I have to give Miss Stackhouse an average 3 star rating. I missed being in Sookie's world, but not so much that I enjoyed trailing along with her while she cleaned her home, picked up breakfast, pumped her gas, showered, shaved her legs, or washed dirty dishes. I understand Sookie is one of the more ordinary characters - to an extent- in a world that has become abundant in supernaturals, but I was desperately wishing for more action on numerous occassions.

*******
Ashley
I waited a year, telling myself that the worrisome feeling I was left with after Dead in the Family was a one-off sensation. I told myself "she'll get back in her groove with Dead Reckoning." I had it delivered to my Kindle so I didn't even have to fight with book-store staff on release day. I wanted so very, very badly for this book to be a return to the Sookie Stackhouse books of the early series.

I wish I could say it met my expectations and then blew me away. But I'd be lying.

It's not a BAD b
Marie
May 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard fans of the series
I've been getting tired of this series for awhile now. Sometimes I just want to shake Sookie and to tell her to WAKE UP and cut all ties from the loons.
And other times I want to just toss her to a non-friendly non-sexy vampire and let them eat her and get it over with.
Still, I found this particular book better. I like Eric, and it had some Eric-y moments.
I guess I have two big pet peeves one this one. The first one is Sookie's religious holier-than-thou attitude that was bugging me. Alright, I r
  • Tempest's Legacy (Jane True, #3)
  • Blood Noir (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #16)
  • Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3)
  • Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5)
  • This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #2)
  • Succubus Revealed (Georgina Kincaid, #6)
  • Bound to Shadows (Riley Jenson Guardian #8)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Eat Prey Love (Love at Stake, #9)
  • Wait for Dusk (Dark Days, #5)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris

Sookie Stackhouse (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
  • Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)
  • Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3)
  • Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4)
  • Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)
  • Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6)
  • All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7)
  • From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8)
  • Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)
  • Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Descent
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
“When I thought of Eric with someone else, I wanted to rip out all his beautiful blonde hair. By the roots. In clumps.” 57 likes
“We might be on the same page, but I wasn't happy about reading it.” 39 likes