Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Hamilton, Laurell K. - Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10) by Laurell K. Hamilton

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is open for discussion of Narcissus in Chains by Laurell K. Hamilton. Be prepared for SPOILERS.
Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10) by Laurell K. Hamilton

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Oh, boy! Can I just start off by saying there is a whole lot of shit going on in this book? LOL This book is where Anita's world (Anitaverse) starts changing in a big way.

When I started re-reading the series I decided to keep notes on things I wanted to remember later and for when I needed a quick reference while I was on LKH's forum where we discuss all kinds of interesting things about the books. This book took up three pages in my Microsoft Word document!

Okay, on to my likes and dislikes!

1. the triumvirate gets stage time (almost literally!)
2. the marrying of the marks (wow!)
3. we meet the hyenas
4. Narcissus is interesting...and creepy!
5. we meet Micah and gain a Nimir-Raj (Yay!)
6. guns, knives, fighting (I love a good fight!)
7. Rafael throws in with Anita (I love that guy!)
8. we meet the Swan King (the true King, not like Kaspar from Lunatic Cafe)
9. Anita has new powers (cool!)
10. Damian is Anita's vampire servant (WAY cool!!!)
11. Anita uses the power she acquired from Obsidian Butterfly
12. Anita can call another person's leopard (bet she could do other beasts too)
13. Anita and JC hugging after she gets him released from jail
14. the whole scene with Asher, JC, Nathaniel, Jason and Anita (love, love, love it! more! more!)
15. we get a taste of what Belle can do (and that's from 1000s of miles away!)
16. a panwere (that is very interesting!!)
17. the birth of the Furry Coalition
18. Anita has a leopard and wolf and is cut by Chimera while he is in lion form. Is lion next?
19. we meet other types of lycanthropes
20. Anita is 26 (4 book yrs since the series started)
21. we meet 2 of JC's vampires
22. we learn how many are in each lycanthrope group (600 wolves, 400 hyenas, 200 rats)
23. JC speaks of someone named Arturo (vamp? shifter? we don't know) and how well-tooled he is (Ho-ly Crap!)
24. Anita gains the ardeur (oh my! if it was me I wouldn't fight it at all!!)
25. we learn lots of interesting things about lycanthropy
26. this quote by Rafael: “I have benefited from your loyalty, your sheer stubbornness. What I didn’t realize until tonight is that you didn’t just save me just because I was your friend, or because it was the right thing to do. You didn’t risk yourself and your people to save me from torture because of the kind of moral rightness that Richard is fond of. You saved me because you could not bear the thought of leaving me behind. Not from a sense of right and wrong, but because you are just that tenderhearted.”

Dislikes:
1. the torture by Chimera (what a butthead! glad he's dead)
2. Richard's attitude toward Anita (here we go on the roller coaster!)
3. Dolph (omg, just want to smack him over and over)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I think it's after this book that a lot of LKH fans split into 2 groups...1. Those who hate the books because of all the sex and 2. Those who still love the books in spite of all the sex. I'm in group 2. Since Anita has to deal with the ardeur, the sex is essential to the flow of her story/life. It is a HUGE change for her in how she has lived her life up to this point.

message 4: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid  (initch) MICAH!!!!!
ARDUER!!!!!

I agree that this is the book that causes the split...holy crap is there alot of sex to come. I love everything about Micah. He is right up there with JC for me. I absolutely love the leopards. Richard needs to get his shit together for real. I'm getting tired of his crap and so is everyone else. I'm sad about Dolph, I don't like where LH is taking his character. The Chimera was weird to me like an odd piece of the puzzle, a ends to a means. It was like LH wanted to bring in Micah and his pard but couldn't figure out how to do it so she came up with the Chimera. IDK it felt out of place. Whoo hoo public sex (sort of)! Lastly I'm glad that Anita has finally begun to accept that she is in this for the long haul. Taking responsibility for Damian and Nathaniel (love him).

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I liked the character Chimera. He's what Anita will call in a future book, a nut bunny. lol What an interesting character...a panwere.

I love learning new paranormal stuff and crime solving in each book. Anita may be dragged screaming and kicking her tiny feet into accepting this new life of hers, but at least she's working on it.

message 6: by A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (last edited May 17, 2011 01:24PM) (new)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I forgot to include a quote of JC's that I really think hits home:

"If I could have fed the ardeur as it was meant to be fed, then this would not have been necessary. If I could have fed through my human servant, this would not have been necessary. If I could have fed through my animal to call, this would not have been necessary. But you and Richard bind me 'round with rules, you cripple me with your morality, and you force me to do such as I swore I would never do. I have been in the box and been food for my master, and it was the worst thing I have ever endured. And because you and he have your moral high ground to keep you pure, you have forced me to be more practical than I have ever wanted to be."

"I gave her my protection once, and this is not protection. I do what I must, ma petite, but I take no pleasure from it, and I tire of the necessity of it. If you would but meet me even halfway, we could avoid so much pain."

Go, JC, go!! This is one of the few quotes that sticks with me when I think of this series. There are a few others, but this is THE one I love the most.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Also, when everyone has read this one I have a serpentine lycanthropy question to pose because I ended this book very confused about it.

message 8: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Ok. I read this one and I getting concerned that Anita is losing her humanity as she picks up more and more power from JC and Richard

message 9: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I get why Richard is being a jackass. Anita talks to him like he is child. She challenges him, undermines him and he has to share her affections with a vampire. Plus, I dont believe Richard ever made peace with being a "monster" and Anita keeps pushing him to embrace his primal and baser instincts. Who wouldn't act like a bastard after that?

message 10: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Asher wants sex with JC and I think JC wants that too. I felt bad that JC hold his sexual desires at bay because he is scared of judgment from Anita, yet she gets to do whatever she wants with whomever.

message 11: by Audrey Jane (new)

Audrey Jane | 1555 comments Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "I get why Richard is being a jackass. Anita talks to him like he is child. She challenges him, undermines him and he has to share her affections with a vampire. Plus, I dont believe Richard ever ma..."

Ezinwanyi, I keep fond memories of Richard from the earlier AB books. I know that not a lot of readers like him, especially as the series progress but I understand where he is coming from. Also it seems that once Anita and Richard are in a room together they are not really communicating, they are both equally stubborn.

message 12: by Audrey Jane (new)

Audrey Jane | 1555 comments Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "Asher wants sex with JC and I think JC wants that too. I felt bad that JC hold his sexual desires at bay because he is scared of judgment from Anita, yet she gets to do whatever she wants with whom..."

Asher's true love is JC without a doubt. I don't know if you read about their background and the history they got together, but that's something Anita will never have. I agree that JC puts up with her.

message 13: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Anita is quite selfish, but I think JC is the best equipped to deal with her long term.

I don't really like her as a human being Richard's Lupa. I don't think she is good for his ego, though she is good to make him do things he is uncomfortable with--the hard parts of his job.

message 14: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I also liked richard from the earlier books

message 15: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1397 comments I loved Richard in the earlier books ...not so much as the books went on and then sadly I really couldn't stomach Anita anymore.....so there went the series for me :(

message 16: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I'm going to listen to book 11

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Narcissus in Chains (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laurell K. Hamilton (other topics)