Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Off Topic > Help me pick a name for my new puppy!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'm so excited! I'm getting a puppy!!!

We went to visit him on Saturday and I'm so in love. :-) He's only about 6 weeks and I can get him in a few weeks.

I'm having a problem picking a good name. He's a Shih Tzu, almost jet black. I want to give him a name that's...regal. :-)

http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/4...

http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/4...

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine So adorable. Its so hard to come up with the right name but it may come to you as you visit him.

We just adopted a 2 year old dog two weeks ago. She's a Staffordshire Terrier and Shepherd mix. She came with the name Bonnie. I wasn't sure I liked it but I call her BonBon most of the time. Its so fun to have a dog in the house again. Our last dog died about a year ago. His name was Taz and he was a Shiba Inu

message 3: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'm sorry to hear about Taz. I know how painful that is.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine They become part of the family and then they are gone but thankfully they do live on in your heart. The hard part was my kids went off to school and then the dog died, it got pretty lonely around here.

message 5: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments He's adorable! You've come to the right place to get a name for your puppy. I'm sure Fantasy fans have no shortage of creative names.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine My neighbor has a dog named d'Artagnan, Dee for short.

message 7: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 179 comments Congratulations on the new addition to your family Mrs Joseph!

Since a Shih Tzu is a Tibetan Lion Dog wondered if you might like a couple of the associated names:

Leo or Leon, Simba

Tibetan: Senge (lion)
Jetsan (King) (jet meaning black also)
Je-tsun (high born)
Cimba (small)

I'm sure you'll have lots of fun finding just the right name for your new puppy. "Regal" is the name of the villain from Robin Hobb's Farseer series but he is most definitely "black hearted".

Staffies are such lovely dogs Christine and I hope she helps heal your own heartache.

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine Kim Marie wrote: "Staffies are such lovely dogs Christine and I hope she helps heal your own heartache..."

She already has! Bonnie is awesome.

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Christine wrote: "They become part of the family and then they are gone but thankfully they do live on in your heart. The hard part was my kids went off to school and then the dog died, it got pretty lonely around ..."

It's really hard when your dog passes. I'm so glad that you have Bonnie.

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Aloha wrote: "He's adorable! You've come to the right place to get a name for your puppy. I'm sure Fantasy fans have no shortage of creative names."

That's what I was thinking. ;-)

He is totally adorable. He just jumped straight into my heart. :-)

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Kim Marie wrote: "Congratulations on the new addition to your family Mrs Joseph!

Since a Shih Tzu is a Tibetan Lion Dog wondered if you might like a couple of the associated names:

Leo or Leon, Simba

Tibe..."

Those are great names! How do you pronounce Senge?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Kim Marie wrote: "Since a Shih Tzu is a Tibetan Lion Dog...

LOL! Are you serious! If so, then someone somewhere had a serious sense of humor when they deemed em lion dogs...I can see Feeding a Shih Tzu to a lion ;) They weigh like ten lbs. I like the Senge suggestion btw.

Diallo is african for Bold. I always thought it had a regal sound to it. I had a german shepherd named Wakastaka for 11 years. It was a Dakota word meaning slayer. It's a beautiful language that may hold a name you like :)

message 13: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 179 comments Senge - pronounced Sen-gey

Grant, I'm sure Mrs Joseph's boy will be lion-hearted but I think the name originated from their looks rather than their size,lol.

message 14: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments Grant, I wanted to have a German Shepherd for the longest time before I liked wolves.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol, that makes alot more sense Kim Marie...I did have a rather humorous mental image of a pack of twenty or so rabid Shih Tsu's tangling with Simba ;)

German Shepherds are wonderful dogs. Extremely loyal and as smart as they come. I'll likely not have another though just cause the memory of my first one is so strong, ya know?

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine That's what I said after we lost our dog last year. No more dogs for us and now we have Bonnie. The new dog doesn't replace the old dog, but she fills the need for companionship that you get from a dog. Its unconditional and there's nothing better than the wiggle dance you get when you walk through the door after being gone for just a little while. She is always happy to see me.

message 17: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant, are you talking smack about my little darling? How could you look at that darling face and think of feeding them to lions?

message 18: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments The Dakota word for chief is Itancanka

I used to have a female ShihTzu, her name was Gizmo...not very regal atall!

message 19: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 179 comments Maggie, my sister in law and her family have 3 Shih Tzus at present: Gucci, Chloe and Bella but their very first one was called...Gizmo!! I remember that the first time Anne took Gizmo to the grooming salon she was quite surprised to find another dog there with the same name....she had thought it would be unusual :o)

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Conroy!

Maybe.....

Ahem....all eyes.

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I went shopping for puppy stuff today! I bought 2 puppy beds, a book, a leash, a toy, and a food dish - but I'm taking the food dish back for a better one. I also think I found a good vet. :-)

My husband likes the name "Benji" right now.

message 22: by Elien (new)

Elien | 36 comments Aww, he's so cute! :)

I've always liked the name 'Nisha', but that may sound a bit girlish. It means 'night' in Sanskrit and Hindi.

My heart goes out to all dog-owners who have lost their dear pet. My labrador died a year ago, as well. He was in pain near the end, so at least he doesn't have to suffer anymore.

We also have a chihuahua named Rakker, which is Dutch for Scamp from Lady and the Tramp II. He is the sweetest little furball ever. :)

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I have a lovely little black Spitz (well I think its a Spitz since hes too large to by a pomeranian) we named RiffRaff (after the ROcky Horror character) that Todd saved from heavy traffic. He's very sweet and even gets along with my five year old without any trouble.

message 24: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Chris wrote: "Conroy!

Maybe.....

Ahem....all eyes."

My husband likes Conroy. :-) I think it's kinda serious.

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Nisha is pretty, too. :-) Hubby agrees with you, though - it's too girly.

message 26: by Elien (last edited Feb 20, 2011 04:09PM) (new)

Elien | 36 comments Yeah, I guessed so. :)

What about Spock? He totally looks like he could be a Spock. :p

Or Loki? Norwegian god of magic and fire.

I used to be all into dogs names, because I believed (or hoped) we would get a new dog. This website is great for choosing a name, and they list the names' meanings too. http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/

PS: Please don't let the cuteness fool you - I used to have a Lhasa Apso names Mailo, cutest little thing I'd ever seen until he bit me in the face and tore my upper lip apart. My little brother called me Scarface for quite a while. :p

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments There's always "Bilbo" which leads to "Bill" for short, something for fantasy fans and non-fantasy fans alike. LOL I can tell you're both already in love with him. Sean (or Shawn is another good name.)....Of course, there's always Killer or Bruiser, but those are best when used with chihuahuas.

I'm a dog lover also (read animal actually I suppose). Our dog (Lacy, a Sheltie) died several years ago. We have a "passel" (that's a technical term LOL) of cats now. I ended up letting strays stay.

message 28: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 350 comments Bilbo is actually a great name, Mike. The 'experts' suggest for dogs using names with hard consonants and with onlt one or 2 syllables. I've wanted to use Bilbo, but spouse is not into Tolkien. So we have a MinPin named Khan after Khan Noonian Singh and a Golden Retriever named Herne after Herne the Hunter.

We used to have a flock of parakeets which we named after Doctor Who companions (original series), but now only an African Gray named The Brigadier (Lethbridge Stewart) aka The Brig who loves saying her name over and over—Brigadier, Brigadier, Brigadier...

I would not be without pets and generally get a puppy when a current one gets old.

message 29: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments LOL, I love Spock! Not sure if it will work. I was thinking maybe "Shogun" but now hubby is thinking we should name him either "Lord Benjamin Conroy Puppitons" or "Shogun."

Mike, you are 100% correct. We are both really excited and totally in love. He's going to be so spoiled...

message 30: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Kernos wrote: "Bilbo is actually a great name, Mike. The 'experts' suggest for dogs using names with hard consonants and with onlt one or 2 syllables. I've wanted to use Bilbo, but spouse is not into Tolkien. So ..."

I like Bilbo...and that is a great book. I might have to force hubby to watch the cartoon or something so he can get the significance...

message 31: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 179 comments Wow....I love all these great suggestions. An old Trekkie like me would find it hard to resist Spock but Shogun does have that "regal" ring to it. He's such a handsome boy and it would be very hard not to spoil him.

We have a big beautiful black Doberman called Zorro who thinks he should be a lap dog and spends a lot of his time leaning on us! He is a wonderful companion and such a gentle soul that he loves everyone. We'd be lost without him.

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments Mrs, J, what did you name the puppy?

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Oh! I'm so sorry! :-) He's Benji (or Lord Benjamin when he's being bad :)

message 34: by Jackie (last edited Mar 23, 2011 08:04AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments I was just curious. Benji is a good name :)

message 35: by Lina (new)

Lina Al-Midfa Benji,,,,, I think that name rings a bell....
wasn't he a winner on that american show So you think you can dance?!

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Lina wrote: "Benji,,,,, I think that name rings a bell....
wasn't he a winner on that american show So you think you can dance?!"

LOL! Yes. Also it was the name of a dog that had his own TV show (not quite Lassie). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benji

message 37: by Lina (new)

Lina Al-Midfa lol thats sooooo cute! Oh my I just saw his photo!!!!!!

kawaiiiiiiiiiii lol!

message 38: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments :-D That's my baby Benji. He's so cute (and so bad, lol!). I can tell he thinks he deserves to be waited on hand and foot. And I'm spoiling him which doesn't help.

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lostunicorn) I always thought that Peeve would be a good name...so you could tell people "This is my pet, Peeve".......

sorry 'bout that....couldn't resist.....

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments LOL! That's what he is right now (though I love him to pieces). He takes advantage of me...and I smile anyway.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol Lina, the fact that you watch SYTYCD makes you even cooler in my eyes. Latin ballroom dancing was an everyday thing in my home growing up so SYTYCD was an instant fav for me and Benji is my fav dancer to ever be on the show. That signature tilt foot slide of his is just freaking awesome!

message 42: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant wrote: "Lol Lina, the fact that you watch SYTYCD makes you even cooler in my eyes. Latin ballroom dancing was an everyday thing in my home growing up so SYTYCD was an instant fav for me and Benji is my fav..."

I loved that first hip-hop dance he did. Wonderful! :-)

message 43: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 23, 2011 12:50PM) (new)

You too, MrsJ!? Dang, It's a shame that you're family and we're both married or I'd steal you from my cuz-in-law!

Lol that sentence was both funny and disturbing after being re-read :D

message 44: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant wrote: "You too, MrsJ!? Dang, It's a shame that you're family and we're both married or I'd steal you from my cuz-in-law!

Lol that sentence was both funny and disturbing after being re-read :D"

LOL! It's ok, I totally follow you. ;-)

message 45: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 27, 2011 12:26AM) (new)

Oh Alex was awesome! Your link wouldn't load for me but I'm guessing it was the scene with him and Twitch performing hip/hop? Amazering!

Brandon Bryant is another of my favs. He shoulda won his season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rzi3Q...

Danny Tidwell is another fav. He makes me feel oafish. Kinda love that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y55ZRE...

And my fav couple dance is Kayla and Kopono - Addiction. So powerful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLeE7Y...

Good thing I have 3 full seasons on my Dvr :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol glad you get me MrsJ ;)

message 47: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Ohhh! I love these!! This was one of my faves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R3bLE...

message 48: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant wrote: "Lol glad you get me MrsJ ;)"

Hey, you're my favorite ;-)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

MrsJoseph wrote "Hey, you're my favorite ;-)"
Back at ya!!!

Lol I've been going thru the Dvr watching old episodes of SYTYCD. Good times...

Ah, I'm a fan of Mark. He's so quirky! His pinkies were pretty freaking weird though. I wasn't a huge fan of Courtney but I can overlook a lot when she wears an outfit like that ;). I actually preferred Chelsea as his partner

message 50: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) I adore Mark, funky pinkies and all. And Mark and Chelsea were my favorite couple. Except for Kayla and Kupono. And Twitch and Kherington. And Katee and Joshua. And Katee and Twitch.

Waitaminnit. I think I'd be better off listing the dancers I wasn't as fond of:

er, Comfort. I think that's it...

I only just started watching with Season 4 - I keep sending vibes to Fox to start releasing the first three on DVD, and watching what's out there on YouTube.

« previous 1 3