Book freaks discussion

What You've Read > Do you count books you couldn't finish as "read"?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 20 comments You know how sometimes your reading a book that is just too s-l-o-w to keep you interested, so instead of wasting your time, you stop reading it. I was just wondering how many of you mark it as "read" and how many of you don't. Does it depend on how far you've read it?
What are your thoughts?

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I move them to "Read" but I have a subcategory of "Couldn't finish", that's where I put those books. And I don't rate them, because it's not fair if I didn't finish them. Well, that's not completely true, if it's a prolific author and the book is so bad it seems like it was released for no good reason but the author's name, then I'll give it a bad rating.

message 3: by Glenn (last edited Feb 12, 2011 07:18PM) (new)

Glenn | 2 comments I do not count them as read. I have a spreadsheet of all the books I've read. I like the idea of adding a column for "couldn't finish".

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 102 comments I continue to grind my way through the book, I am an optimist and hope it gets better! Then I rate the book.

message 5: by Belle (new)

Belle (izzy_theberge) I've never read a book that bad.
If I did, i wouldn't even add it to my list at all.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

of course not! y say u hav read the book and didnt actually finish the book? i wud never do that

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sb3626) Most definitely not! I usually have them be the book I read on the side that takes me awhile to read

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

me too

message 9: by Carly (new)

Carly (wildlavender) Sorta, if I only got the the middle then los interest I jsut skim the rest to see the jist on how it ended.

message 10: by Ghira (last edited Feb 14, 2011 09:53AM) (new)

Ghira | 6 comments I don't count it if I haven't finished it.

message 11: by Tracy (last edited Feb 17, 2011 06:04PM) (new)

Tracy | 20 comments Glenn wrote: "I do not count them as read. I have a spreadsheet of all the books I've read. I like the idea of adding a column for "couldn't finish"."

Me too! I categorize and update all my books on a spreadsheet, also. I even color code the cells by genre. I have so many books to read yet that if I don't keep track of them, I'd forget what I had!
The ones I couldn't finish (rare-but does happen) go into a seperate category.

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sol | 28 comments ofcourse not. i have to finish reading them then i say ive read them. it is a bad habit. i hav to finish every book i read even if i dont like it. if i dont finish a book it means it is REALLY BAD

message 13: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Rahmasari (alizarin) | 9 comments of course not! you need to read it until the last page.

message 14: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillylilly) Nope I don't count it if I don't finish....what would be the point of that!!!

message 15: by Kaity (new)

Kaity (kef3189) | 2 comments I feel like that would be cheating to count it as read when you haven't finished!

message 16: by N.M. (new)

N.M. Martinez My immediate response is no. If I can't finish a book, I don't read it so I don't mark it as "read."

Carolyn F. wrote: "I move them to "Read" but I have a subcategory of "Couldn't finish", that's where I put those books. And I don't rate them, because it's not fair if I didn't finish them."

I do like this idea though. I don't know if I'll do that, but I'll think about it.

message 17: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) I don't count it as a read as far as my yearly total goes; but I do give it a 1 star and at least post a review of: "could not finish, will give a second and final try at a later date" - That way it gives people an idea that I was not keen on it, but that I have not entirely written it off, however when I try again and can't finish it, I will really lay my thoughts bare. But again I will not fill out the date finished section because it just doesn't seem right.

So, essencially no I don't count them as finished, but I still rate and comment on the books I don't finish.

message 18: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (aftercloudia) I don't count them, I put them in the "abandoned" file.

message 19: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas (nicko1984) | 20 comments no no... I'm honest and those don't count.

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) No, until I actually turn the last page, it is not considered to have been read.

If something is taking too long to get through, I will move it off of my currently reading list, but it goes back to the to-read shelf. This doesn't happen too often, though, since I really can't seem to not finish a book, no matter how long it might take.

message 21: by Anne (new)

Anne Albert (annekalbert) It depends on how far I get through it. If I'm more than halfway to the end, it counts! I mean, duh, 50% is 50%. That`s a pass, right?! Anne K. Albert

message 22: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 3 comments Never - I like to give a review of books I've finished so I don't feel I can do that if I've abandoned a book.

message 23: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I actually have 2 shelves devoted to this issue: "abandoned" (which usually implies I didn't like it or found it too difficult) and "partly read" which usually means I got distracted by another book. I usually go back & finish those. Eventually.
The only time I would count an unfinished book as "read", sort of, was if I deeply, truly hated it & it enraged me & I felt I'd read enough to give it a fair deal.
And even then-it's not really read until I've actually read it.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a whole shelf on my bookcase in my room contributed to "Unread" books. I don't think they really caught my attention as other books may have. I don't think you should count a book as read if you never truly finished it. You should say currently trying to finish or I'll try to get to them when I get a chance. Haha.

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon ★ (shann0n) I put mine on a shelf I titled "paused." I should add an "indefinitely" to that shelf title. lol

message 26: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 3 comments I never even thought of creating additional shelves - but have now - love that idea!!!! Especially for my Abandoned Books

message 27: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Shannon-I love the title "paused"-what a stroke of brilliance there.

Maybe I'll change "partly read" to "to be continued"
(should I add "maybe" or "hopefully"? lol).

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Ellie wrote: "Shannon-I love the title "paused"-what a stroke of brilliance there.

Maybe I'll change "partly read" to "to be continued"
(should I add "maybe" or "hopefully"? lol)."

haha. Hi Ellie!

message 29: by Shannon (new)

Shannon ★ (shann0n) Well, the "paused" books are the ones that I hope to go back and continue. The one's I don't might be put on a "crap" shelf. lol

message 30: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I wish I had the nerve to set up that shelf. Maybe I'll call it "From here to...eternity" or something like that. Is that too euphemistic?

message 31: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 3 comments I'm way too OCD to list a book that I haven't completed reading. I can only think of 1 or 2 books that I wasn't able to finish. I'm the same way as others in this post - I keep reading it in hopes that it gets better and then I rate it... usually badly. lol

message 32: by Al (new)

Al (alstone) I don't count them as read. I'll put them down and try and read them another time because I don't like starting a book and not finishing it. I feel disappointed when that happens.

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandylivvy4) | 25 comments i dont i put them back on my to read pile ... or pass them on to some one else

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandylivvy4) | 25 comments Ellie wrote: "I wish I had the nerve to set up that shelf. Maybe I'll call it "From here to...eternity" or something like that. Is that too euphemistic?"

u could call it the graveyard shelf ?

message 35: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hiester (kathyhiester) | 4 comments NEVER... but my problem is even if the book is bad I always finish it hoping that eventually it will get better :)

message 36: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) I think that until they create a permenant shelf that is "never finished" I will continue to categorise my "never finished" books the way I have them.

message 37: by RocGoddess (last edited Mar 14, 2011 04:43AM) (new)

RocGoddess | 27 comments yes actually i do.when i read part of a novel i know what's going to happen so yeah.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't I feel like I'm cheating on my book list. There a few that just weren't my cup of tea, but other times I found I just need a rest and they are awesome!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes!

message 40: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Depends how much I've read-I sometimes read a huge chunk of the beginning (1/3 or more of book), then skip & last 3-4 chapters, then read thru the middle in pieces. Often I end up reading pretty much the entire book, though not in linear fashion. If I think I've grasped the book, then yes. It's pretty subjective.
Also, it's clearly the one big drawback of the Kindle for me (which otherwise I love).

message 41: by Johnnybgoode (new)

Johnnybgoode | 8 comments if it's a clever book that'll make me look good then I'll say i've read it, if it isn't worth it then I just shove it under the bed to take to oxfam, someday.

message 42: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) lol.

message 43: by Johnnybgoode (new)

Johnnybgoode | 8 comments i mean someday cos I just hate giving books away, who knows who might get hold of it next, might mistreat it,ha compared to the under the bed treatment.
sometimes I like to go back to an author and see if I like them more than I did before, it happened with stephen king, rubbish i thought until I watched the movie 'stand by me'read the story for that and now I'm hooked.

message 44: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Usually I don't count them as read if I haven't finished them but I made an exception for the February read Mercy because it was just so terrible that I new that my opinion was properly formed cause even though I'd made if halfway through I still didn't feel like continuing

message 45: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 102 comments It isn't read for me until I get to the very last page.

message 46: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Sometimes when I feel like that...I skip to the last page and call it a day

message 47: by Soul, the Book Keeper (last edited Sep 08, 2011 02:35AM) (new)

Soul (soulkeeper720) | 3876 comments Mod
well, we all have to agree that every now and then we stumble upon some book which we simply can't complete...

i mean cm'mon i'hv been through 3 books till date,
where i simply couldn't bring my self to read one more page of that b***s**t

and it happens. but, that's not the reason u should put them on read list. rather make up a new list titled "never finished" or "Half reads" etc

<....and to those who talk about last page>

it is my very bad habit whenever i pick up a new book to read i read it's last line first.
so technically i hv read last page though not completely

but that doesn't imply i hv read the book, does it?

message 48: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 4 comments This might sound very strange but I hate not finishing a book. I've combatted this problem by picking a Author and reading one book, if I like it then I'll read every book that Author has written. And then move on to the next author and so on.

On the rare occasions that I try a new author/ book I either read reviews on that book, or I get my sister to read it and give me her opinion.

The only problem with this is I'm always waiting for my favorite Author's new book to come out. Hahahaha

I know this is a painful way to go through your reading list, but I don't like wasting time on a book that I won't finish. LOL

message 49: by Carole (new)

Carole Rae (carolerae4488) | 6 comments Sometimes I guess. I think if you put in a good effort, but you just can't...finish it then yes. It just depends, because sometimes I'm finished and I can't possibly keep going. For me that IS The end of the book.

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee Burns | 1 comments If I have given the book a really good effort, I count it as "read". But, I also have a special section for "could not finish"!

« previous 1