Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What subject do you wish you knew more about?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I've always wanted to be an expert on home makeovers/repairs. Bob Villa inspires me.

You?

message 2: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I loved watching New Yankee Workshop with Norm Abram. I don't know if it's on anymore. He would go into an antique shop with a measuring tape, a pencil and a pad, find something he liked, make some notes, then go home to his workshop and duplicate it. That is so awesome. I would love to be able to do that.

I also love watching shows about how things are made. Touring factories is my idea of a good time.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24109 comments Mod
Heidi wrote: "I've always wanted to be an expert on home makeovers/repairs. Bob Villa inspires me.

You?"

Totally agree with your first sentence. Bob Vila, I don't really care for.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments The window is fixed?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Nope.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Heidi wrote: "You?"

I'd like to know more about making conversation and women. And how to fix a leaking faucet.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Making conversation and women? Or making conversation with women? I hate leaking faucets and fixing them in general.

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments You should talk to a woman who understands basic plumbing repairs.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) There's nothing hotter than talking to women about plumbing.

Well, maybe there is.

message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Talking to them about heating?

message 11: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) | 201 comments Organized sports. On second thought I don't really care to learn about it.

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandylivvy4) midwifery , sometimes i wish i understood politics but na maybe not lol.

i like learning about people and places and history x

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandylivvy4) BunWat wrote: "Calculus
Physics
Swing dancing
Russian History
Mycelium
Wine
The High Middle Ages in Europe
Woodworking
Architecture
Roses
Cheesemaking
Dolphins
Animal communication
Silk screening
Dy..."

not much then haha

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandylivvy4) Koeeoaddi wrote: "neurobiology
physics
assistive technology
medicine
and many many more musical instruments and languages

ETA: and most of Bun's stuff, too, come to think of it. Marine bilogy, dolphins, animal comm..."

awww i love goats .. i want one to keep in my garden x

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I wish I knew more about barometric pressure. I think it is fascinating.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Botany, publishing, the lives of birds, computer programming

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hanna wrote: "Organized sports. On second thought I don't really care to learn about it."

I don't either.

I'm endlessly fascinated with the history of life on this planet.

message 18: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Right at the moment, I'd like to learn about installing a new front door with side lights, and installing new light fixtures (I'm terrified of electricity).

In future, I'd like to learn more about: Gardening, basic auto repairs, public speaking, biometrics, philosophy, theology, and numerous other things.

message 19: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments BunWat wrote: "I wish I knew more about almost anything I can think of. I like learning things."

me too. i want to know it all.

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) janine wrote: "me too. i want to know it all."

I already do, says the pedantic.

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have matches!

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) *runs away from the pyro Dutch girl*

message 23: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Helena wrote: "Right at the moment, I'd like to learn about installing a new front door with side lights, and installing new light fixtures (I'm terrified of electricity)."

Don't be a candy ass! Just pull the fuse or turn off the circuit breaker and you're golden.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I had a new house once (built during the late '90s building boom around Austin) in which I wanted to install a dimmer for the dining room. I went to the breaker box and opened every last one of them -- and the dining room light stayed on.

I found out later the electrical contractor had actually slept in the house (with his family) while working on it, and had fallen through the ceiling drywall a couple of times.

message 25: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Larry, that's truly frightening.

I don't necessarily want to know more about everything, but I would like to expand the skills I do have.

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments BunWat wrote: "I wish I knew more about almost anything I can think of. I like learning things."

Me too Bun.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hot water toilets are really bad.

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments There is that scalding issue that makes it quite unpleasant.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Hmm...so many...
top of the list:
vegetable gardening
home repairs
auto repairs
finances and taxes
dressage
finger-picking guitar
Spanish
immigration law
web design
classical music
raising chickens

message 30: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Feb 14, 2011 12:34PM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Tact
Twee indie pop
Hip hop and the art of the rhyme
How to wear a ballcap backward with class

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Thanks! I can trade you for basic soft-cheese-making. I'm a pretty good hand at ricotta and mozzerella at this point.

message 32: by Sarah (last edited Feb 14, 2011 11:24AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The easiest way to start is with the New England Cheesemaking Co. kit: they give you the proper enzymes (vegetarian) and cheese salt and a thermometer and instructions and cheesecloth. You can also buy those things separately.
They have hard cheese kits too, but you have to have someplace to age them.
Ricotta is very forgiving so that's my fallback cheese.

message 33: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Clark wrote: "Tact."

Tact is overrated. For instance, if you hadn’t called me a candy ass- I might never have tackled the light fixtures. Thank You.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm lucky enough to have a local creamery that isn't organic but has good practices and doesn't ultra-pasteurized. I tend to use the two percent, but sometimes whole milk for cheese. Trader Joe's has some milk that isn't ultra pasteurized, I think.

You don't actually need any counter space for ricotta. One burner, a tolerance for heat (you have me beat on that one!) and a place to tie the cheesecloth bag to drain. I usually tie it to the faucet and drain since we have a tall kitchen faucet.

message 35: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Helena wrote: "Clark wrote: "Tact."

Tact is overrated. For instance, if you hadn’t called me a candy ass- I might never have tackled the light fixtures. Thank You."

It was easy, wasn't it?

message 36: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Clark wrote: "Helena wrote: "Clark wrote: "Tact."

Tact is overrated. For instance, if you hadn’t called me a candy ass- I might never have tackled the light fixtures. Thank You."

It was easy, wasn't it?"

Well, I didn’t actually do it yet... I did locate the right breaker and I am now convinced that the juice is off in that area. It only took an hour. Maybe this electricity business is not of the devil after all.

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments It is not Melanie, and it only gets easier.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Clark wrote:
Don't be a candy ass!..."

Why not? This sounds like a good thing to me.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments I wish I knew more languages.

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I wish you did, too, Lizzibug.

message 41: by Michael (new)

Michael Clark wrote: "Tact"

"Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic" - some bumper sticker

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.