Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > What do you collect?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments We all have books in common from our huge TBR piles to books stacked on the shelves BUT do you collect anything else?

For me...I tend to collect Video Games until they are played then I throw them in a brown box titled 'OLD GAMES'. Then I will either sell them on eBay or keep them.

Another thing I collect is Vinyl toys...People who don't know what a vinyl toy is always think I mean something 'naughty' this isn't the case at all. These are actual toys based on peoples creations and like any thing can get godly expensive!!

For the longest time I've been into COMICS and I still own majority from my childhood :D I love these things! They've inspired me in sooooooo many different ways. I've got like 5 or 6 short boxes full of comics. My collection is pretty tame compaired to other people that I know.

So what is in your collecting habbits? Share with photos or just writen word..Either way it is up to you :D!

**I'll probably post photos later on**

message 2: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda I collect other people's favourite recipes. I started a scrapbook way back in my late teens (long time before scrapbooking became popular) and used to stick all my older rellies recipes in there. It's just continued over the years. I prefer it when they are hand written. Well-loved recipes are always the best. I flick through it now and then and see things written by people who have since passed away and it makes me happy to still have a piece of them. It's also fun to see how food fads have changes over the years.

Photobucket

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela (dilaby) I have a small collection of stone and wooden eggs. When I was a teenager I collected Egyptian ornaments (pyramids, tutankamen head, nefertit head,etc). But right now I have started collecting silver bookmarks. I have 10 so far, apple, moon, sun, dragon, stars, etc. Even got a twilight one from one of my best mates for chrissy. :)

message 4: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3068 comments I collect books. I buy brand-new ones, second hand ones, and a whole bunch of books my parents had as kids.
I love books, and will never buy an e-reader. I love having them displayed on my shelves:
http://jesstheworldinside.blogspot.co...

*That was taken a few months ago, and since then I have filled in the two blank shelves.*

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela (dilaby) ★ Jessica ★ wrote: "I collect books. I buy brand-new ones, second hand ones, and a whole bunch of books my parents had as kids.
I love books, and will never buy an e-reader. I love having them displayed on my shelves..."

Wow, now that's a book shelf. Mine would be about half of that. I used to have the same opinion about ebooks, but I have won some, and received a lot for free. Never knock back a free read hey? Well, I am finding them growing on me. Don't get me wrong, the feel of a book in my hand and the look of my collection on my shelves is definitely the best feeling in the world. But I won't knock back the ebooks either. :) I guess you could say I collect books too, just can't help myself buying them. I have about 25 on my shelf that need to be read and I still buy more. My hubbie doesn't understand it, but hey, I'll get to them eventually. :)

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68758 comments Mod
I used to collect Cherished Teddies, and have a crystal cabinet full of them. I found I couldn't afford them anymore, so that was that! They are gorgeous little teddies, with their own adoption certificate and I still have all the individual boxes they came in, plus their certificates, taking up a LARGE amount of space in the garage!

message 7: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments I do card make as a hobby so I have a rather large collection of decorative rubber stamps, stamp pads and loads of different sorts of papers - some so pretty that I can't seem to use them.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Anything Squidward (from Spongebob). I just so empathize with his frustrated quest to find some peace and beauty despite living between those two idiots...

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Mandy I like the recipes idea. I don't have anything like that from my family - it sure would be nice to.

message 10: by BD (new)

BD (bd-zainabhosain) since young ive been obssesed with stones.. from prechious to semi-prechious
i also have a collection on things to do with dragons... i cnt help it.. they're facinating :)

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela (dilaby) Zainab 'Black Diamond' wrote: "since young ive been obssesed with stones.. from prechious to semi-prechious
i also have a collection on things to do with dragons... i cnt help it.. they're facinating :)"

I agree, I am totally obsessed with Dragons. Have always had a great interest in them, and have only just recently started collecting ornaments, etc. It can get expensive so maybe once a year will add to the collection. :) I even have a dragon silver bookmark. :) Tee hee. I love fairies, wizards and sorcerers too, but the mystical outlook of the dragon, the magical connections and their characteristics just mesmerize me.

message 12: by BD (new)

BD (bd-zainabhosain) Angela wrote: Tee hee. I love fairies, wizards and sorcerers too, but the mystical outlook of the dragon, the magical connections and their characteristics just mesmerize me.

anything under 'fantasy' is totally me.. i forgot to add the numourous fairy statues i hav in my room :)
but to the dragons :) ive collected from statues to asian wall hangings rings.... dragon petterned balls of china... clothing :)
my gramps thought i went round the bend with my first dragon statue :P

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela (dilaby) Zainab 'Black Diamond' wrote: " Angela wrote: Tee hee. I love fairies, wizards and sorcerers too, but the mystical outlook of the dragon, the magical connections and their characteristics just mesmerize me.

anything under 'f..."

Ahhhh, a woman after my own heart. LOL. I would just kill to be able to afford a decent collection. I ache to collect swords and daggers too. But hey, that's life. Kinda hard to save for that type of stuff when you have kidlets. LOL. And a book obsession. :)

message 14: by BD (new)

BD (bd-zainabhosain) kidlets?? how many?
looool and here i thoight i was the only sword and dagger insane person in Aust :P
but yea.. kids and sharp things... :\
over all...i totally understand ur point on affordability... yet i will still pursue it till i get there :)

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela (dilaby) Zainab 'Black Diamond' wrote: "kidlets?? how many?
looool and here i thoight i was the only sword and dagger insane person in Aust :P
but yea.. kids and sharp things... :\
over all...i totally understand ur point on affordabi..."

2 ratbags. 7 and 5 years old. And 32 years old if you include the husband. sometimes it's like having 3. :)

message 16: by BD (new)

BD (bd-zainabhosain) :) lol that's what my aunty alwas say

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela (dilaby) LOL. It is so true. Especially when he is sick. The whole world stops when a man gets sick. Us women are expected to deal with it and still do our shit. LOL. Just means we are the stronger sex hey? :)

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie | 31 comments Mandy wrote: "I collect other people's favourite recipes. I started a scrapbook way back in my late teens (long time before scrapbooking became popular) and used to stick all my older rellies recipes in there. I..."

Wow that is a great idea!

message 19: by Adele (last edited Apr 07, 2011 07:48PM) (new)

Adele (turtil) | 169 comments I have Collections Galore... I'm a slight hoarder (but i know when to throw things out and when to stop).
I collect Cows, i have figureines clothing, mugs, toys etc. you name it i probably have it. That is my Largest collection.
I also have a small egyptian collection(i love king Tutankhamun and Queen Nefertiti- and yes i'm planning on seeing the exhibit in melb museum).
i have my Candle collection(i love the odd candles).
i own a lot of purple stuff(it's my favourite colour) so you could say i collect that too.
I collect DVD's of old horror, mystery and just old movies in general. But i do have an extensive collection of fantasy/ scifi movies and tvshows(surprisingly i'm still working of getting buffy and angel).
I love monty python and a have the entire flying circus series as well as some movies and spin offs.

i collect programmes of theatres plays i go to (as well as concerts).
postcards(i have stopped collecting them) the free ones you find at cafes.
and lastly i have collections of Keyings,iron on badges/blanket patches and pens&pencils of places i have been. with the blanket patches/ iron on badges, i have a blanket that is literally covered in them(which reminds me about needing a new one)
I have other things as well(aside from books) but i wouldn't call them collections.

message 20: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Wow Adele you have quite a diverse collection of things! I too would love to go to the Tutankhamun exhibition, will have to look at the finances!!

message 21: by Adele (new)

Adele (turtil) | 169 comments Carmel wrote: "Wow Adele you have quite a diverse collection of things! I too would love to go to the Tutankhamun exhibition, will have to look at the finances!!"

i have been waiting for it to come out. ever scince it was just a whisper. i HAVE to go. but for me it's the time factor. I'm going the sydney over easter(yes i'm going to the show- never been i hope its fun!) and i'm doing lots and lots of touristy stuff while we are there (my boyfriend and his family- i'm going with them).
so i have to work the exhibit in somewhere!

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie (ieishanalani) DVDs, anything harry potter, old dolls, teapots, antiques, perfume, high heels and I collect everything Disney princess for my girls

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie (ieishanalani) God and how could I forget I collect anything hello kitty and anything pink (most of the time without even realizing) if it's pink I'll buy it :)

message 24: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'm afraid my only collection now is BOOKS!! How tragic am I! lol

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie (ieishanalani) Haha Brenda books are the best thing to collect ;)

message 26: by Tee (new)

Tee (Zally) Elephants and owls,can get enough, elephants hve to have their trunks up.....for luck.

message 27: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Katie wrote: "Haha Brenda books are the best thing to collect ;)"

:)

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessiquie) | 88 comments I have a slight obession with the theatre, especially musicals, so I collect both the tickets and the programs.

For some reason, since I was a pre-teen, I've collected old movie tickets. I have a box full and then some. Its a weird one that one.

Mainly though, my biggest obession/collection would be the books. It is very rare that a week goes by without me buying at least one. My sister thinks I have an addiction.

message 29: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Ha Jess! Your sister is most probably right!!! You have to be addicted to be on this site;P

Now you mention programs, I have a very LARGE number of them too!! When you spend $25 for one, you don't throw it away!!

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie (ieishanalani) I'm starting to also collect twilight and lord of the rings stuff, I have all the books and DVDs already but I just bought a twilight top, makeup case, necklace and cards and a LOTR ring and chess set:) I desperately want a Harry potter Lego castle!!!!!! :)

message 31: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments I use to collect coffee mugs but I've stopped that now because I've run out of room lol

message 32: by Tee (new)

Tee (Zally) Alao used to scrapbook and buy plates, cups, books on Princess Diana from before she was married, always kept me busy.

message 33: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessiquie) | 88 comments Exactly Brenda! I remember spending $40 on some too, so there not going anywhere. I get them out every now and then. They have their own shelf in one my bookcases :) It's like an unspoken rule, when I go to theatre, I arrive with my wallet in hand and walk towards the first person selling the programs. I get disappointed when they don't have.

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Jess wrote: "Exactly Brenda! I remember spending $40 on some too, so there not going anywhere. I get them out every now and then. They have their own shelf in one my bookcases :) It's like an unspoken rule, whe..."

You have to have a program...it's mandatory;) I wish they weren't so expensive though!!

message 35: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5780 comments Tee wrote: "Elephants and owls,can get enough, elephants hve to have their trunks up.....for luck."

I collect owls too Tee and have been doing so for years. have over 100.

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie (ieishanalani) I got two Harry potter wands in the post today :) picking up my four Harry potter pc games 2moro aswell as 3 twilight board games and a lord of the rings chess set :) I'm buying 2 more bookshelfs next week.... I am in desperate need haha :)

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie (ieishanalani) Got a Harry potter and the philosopher's stone board games no missing bits $7

message 38: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oh Katie! Where do you keep all your wonderful keepsakes?

message 39: by l (new)

l Haha, I don't ever mean to collect anything, but so far, all I collect is just random junk!

message 40: by Katie (new)

Katie (ieishanalani) My Harry potter stuff is on the top of my bookshelf :) I'm buying two new bookshelfs on Tuesday so I can set up my twilight stuff properly LOL and I need them for all my books that are currently stacked in four towers on my dressing table haha will put up pic when i have them set up ;) I hav Buddhas all around my lounge room and bathroom and my pink stuff is everywhere haha :) I'm a sucker for collecting things..... I have tooooo many things I collect!!

message 41: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Ha! Katie, we have a special thread for that pic!! http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 69 comments Lauren wrote: "Haha, I don't ever mean to collect anything, but so far, all I collect is just random junk!"

I'm good at collecting random junk too :P Sometimes I worry about becoming like one of those people on Hoarders...

message 43: by Tee (new)

Tee (Zally) Dale wrote: "Tee wrote: "Elephants and owls,can get enough, elephants hve to have their trunks up.....for luck."

I collect owls too Tee and have been doing so for years. have over 100."

Wow Dale l have just started collecting about 6 months ago, my hubby and l went thru some tough times l find the owls to be so beautiful and serene....just something about them that gives me peace,the last one lbought l can put a tea light inside...love it.

message 44: by Katie (new)

Katie (ieishanalani) Thanks Brenda that's a great thread love your bookshelves and Jess's :)

message 45: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Katie wrote: "Thanks Brenda that's a great thread love your bookshelves and Jess's :)"

Thanks Katie:)

message 46: by Katie (new)

Katie (ieishanalani) I got an Edward Barbie to add to my twilight collection :)

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I collect, and this might sound a little strange, Dreamcatchers.

message 48: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Mickey, They look lovely. I had to look it up though...I didn't know what a dreamcatcher was :)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

New thread! I collect rocks, feathers and dead insects. :)

message 50: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Mish wrote: "Mickey, They look lovely. I had to look it up though...I didn't know what a dreamcatcher was :)"

Dreamcatchers are gorgeous. My daughter had one hanging in her room for a few years in her younger days:) She loved it!

« previous 1