Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Welcome & Ice Breakers > Most Read Authors

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8710 comments Mod
Have you noticed this feature in GR? Go to 'my books' and down the bottom left, there is a list of things you could do and 'Most Read Authors' is one of them. Click it and check out your list...

Here's mine

I was a little bit surprised and had to check who some of these people were! Mainly the Japanese ones then I realised due to these 3 manga (Slam Dunk, Pop Corn, & Hanakimi) being really long series, hence they showed up on my top 10 most read authors!

Had to check who Robert Arthur was... those 'Trio Detektif' (in Bahasa Indonesia) series were a favourite way back when I was young :p and I completely forgot about him -well, almost...

But otherwise, it seems that I stick mainly to fantasy and mystery / crime and here I am moderator of this group who was supposed to broaden my horizons *shamed!*

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2589 comments I wasn't too surprised with mine...top 3 were Lora Leigh, Christine Feehan and Sherrilyn Kenyon all PNR or erotic romance writers - but all three of them have super long series that i've read all of most of

message 3: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Wow Karen thanks for the info, I had no idea that was there and I found it very interesting. My top ones are all popular authors and did not surprise me at all, like you guys mostly due to series and my collections.

My list.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3459 comments Mod
Fascinating. I wasn't too surprised by mine, but it was still interesting to see.

Here's mine.

The other thing I discovered interesting, as I was looking for this, was the stats, how many books you have recorded as having read each year.

message 5: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Susan I love the stats, I had stumbled across it after they released it and I check on it all the time now. I especially love that it keeps track of pages you have read as well as the amount of books :0)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2830 comments Mod
My list is not a big surprise, either. It show Nora Roberts at the top, which is sort of an aberration as I went through a NR kick at one point, but the others are all mystery writers and Jim Butcher.

I like the shelf cloud, too. It will be good to use these two features if I become either author picker or shelf picker.

message 7: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Slayermel wrote: "Susan I love the stats, I had stumbled across it after they released it and I check on it all the time now. I especially love that it keeps track of pages you have read as well as the amount of bo..."

I didn't know I could track pages and number of book read!

message 8: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments I love the stats! It's a pretty nifty tool :)

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (perks53) Can someone explain the 'shelf cloud'. My most read author is Elizabeth George, that has been built over many years. Still, I do love an English mystery

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2589 comments if you click on the cloud it puts up a color listing of your shelves...the larger the writing, the more books on that particular shelf

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (perks53) thx, Dee,but I am not even sure about the shelves!! I must be silly. Says I have no shelves, how do I make shelves. Thx for the mention of Ghost Map, have made it a must read.

message 12: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Rachel, there are several ways to create some shelves. One way is from your "my books" page. On the left there is an "add shelf" link. You could create some shelves using that - for example, "fiction" or "nonfiction." Really, whatever will be useful for you. Some people have literally hundreds, some people only want a few. There are several ways to add books to your newly created shelves. Look for an "edit shelves" link on individual books pages (in the "my review" area) or even on the list of books on the "my books" page. Use that link to add each particular book to the shelf or shelves where you feel it belongs.

Hope that helps!

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (perks53) Thank you so much for the info. Much obliged

message 14: by Pollyanna (last edited Feb 24, 2011 03:41AM) (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) | 94 comments My list here: http://www.goodreads.com/user/most_re.... I'm not surprised Enid Blyton is top I loved her as a kid and Marian Keyes and John Grisham are 2 of my favourite authors.

message 15: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) That is interesting but I don't think my list is really accurate since I don't have all the books I own listed nor do I have all the books I have read entered yet. Here is my list http://www.goodreads.com/user/most_re...

Thanks for the info.

message 16: by Steven (new)

Steven (yam655) | 26 comments Monica, I'm in the same boat as you. My Most Read Author is only as accurate as the data I've put on GoodReads. There's a lot of authors I've read that I've not added at all.

Still Isaac Asimov (my current top-listed author) wrote a lot, and I did actively set out to read all of his fiction at one point, so it makes sense. I think he's also one of the authors I actively went through his list of books and tried to mark all of the books I've read.

Now, had site like this (and the Internet) been around when I was in middle school and the reading bug really kicked in, the data would be much more interesting.

... It would also be more interesting had I managed to keep up with reading when I joined the site. :/ Ah, well.

message 17: by Nurture (new)

Nurture Waratah (seldombites) | 8 comments LOL. Apparently I don't read enough to have a list. Or at least I haven't put enough of my read books on GR.

message 18: by Bea (last edited May 07, 2011 04:42AM) (new)

Bea | 4714 comments Mod
Here is my list. Mostly this just represents books I have read in the last 6 months as I have not put into GR most of the books read prior to then.

Bea's list

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) JK Rowling, JRR Tolkien, and Anita Shreve. But that's just with the books I've inputted here.

IRL, it is: JKR, JRRT, Stephen King. :)

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1097 comments Mine are Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts and Jude Deveraux.

message 22: by Karen (last edited Feb 24, 2013 11:51AM) (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) I like this tool, for me it shows my changing tastes - from the books I read as a twelve year old up to the ones I'm reading now.It also shows why nobody ever buys me a book, they wouldn't know where to start.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/most_re...

message 23: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments My list is embarrassing. I always thought I read really intelligent, high-brow stuff, but my top authors include Janet Evanovich and Stephenie Meyer. Apparently, I've read more books by Stephenie Meyer than she actually wrote. ???

message 24: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliace) Karen wrote: "I like this tool, for me it shows my changing tastes - from the books I read as a twelve year old up to the ones I'm reading now.It also shows why nobody ever buys me a book, they wouldn't know whe..."

Hi Karen - where can I go to see my most read authors?

message 25: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliace) Hi Karen - I found it, Thanks!

Adrienne wrote: "My list is embarrassing. I always thought I read really intelligent, high-brow stuff, but my top authors include Janet Evanovich and Stephenie Meyer. Apparently, I've read more books by Stephenie..."

That is too funny, Adrienne. More than she actually wrote. I wonder how you do that? You must have multiple copies of some of them on your list.

message 27: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments Lyn M (readinghearts) wrote: "Adrienne wrote: "My list is embarrassing. I always thought I read really intelligent, high-brow stuff, but my top authors include Janet Evanovich and Stephenie Meyer. Apparently, I've read more b..."

In looking at it closer, I found it included both volumes of the graphic novel and a book of essays about the books. That really doesn't help the embarrassment factor, though.

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris Sill | 2 comments Mine are Franklin Dixon, Brian Jacques, and John Grisham. But in all reality the Animorphs author is probably in there too.

Chris wrote: "Mine are Franklin Dixon, Brian Jacques, and John Grisham. But in all reality the Animorphs author is probably in there too."

Chris - both of my boys read a lot of Brian Jacques and Anamorphs books.

message 30: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 4 comments My favourite authors are Stephen King, Anne Rice, James Herbert, Diana Gabaldon and Terry Pratchett. I also have books by Terry Goodkind, Enid Blyton, Dennis Lehane, James Ellroy and Ed McBain. I've got books that go with certain films, like E.T. Terminator, Aliens etc. I've got Star Trek and Babylon 5 books. I have kids books like BFG, Matilda, Famous 5, 3 Investigators, Hardy Boys etc. I've never read a single Harry Potter but I have got the Twilight books. I like all sorts of stuff, though I'm not mad keen on crime stuff that focuses heavily on the medical/coroner side of stuff. I couldn't get into Patricia Cornwell's stuff at all but I like Thomas Harris's Silence of the Lambs and other works. I like a good story and will give most things a go, but don't expect to ever find me with a Mills and Boon in my hand.

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris Sill | 2 comments readinghearts (Lyn M) wrote: "Chris wrote: "Mine are Franklin Dixon, Brian Jacques, and John Grisham. But in all reality the Animorphs author is probably in there too."

Chris - both of my boys read a lot of Brian Jacques and A..."

Lyn- It is pretty hard to find alternatives to those books in any library. Jacques remade the old fables into something new that everybody would relate to. What are their favorite books?
And Animorphs is always enjoyable for pure cheesy goodness, so basically R.L. Stine, but from a different angle.

message 32: by Paige (new)

Paige (iampaigeb) | 79 comments I will always praise Dean Koontz and his work. but another author I thoroughly enjoy reading is Andrew Klavan who writes lots of seat gripping thrillers and mysteries.

message 33: by Bea (last edited Apr 07, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

Bea | 4714 comments Mod
My most read authors are prolific writers. They have become my-most-read by the fact that they write fun series which I adore and which would often fall in the cozy mystery genre. There are times in my life when that is just what I need to read, and I read that genre fast! Of course, I might run out of books by them...and will need to start developing more relationships with other writers I enjoy.

My most read authors are: Charlaine Harris, Janet Evanovich, Neil Gaiman, Alexander McCall Smith and John D. MacDonald. These are my tried and true authors. I would read anything by these five.

message 34: by Lusie (last edited Apr 07, 2018 08:49AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3128 comments I'm not surprised that in the top 5 of most read books for me are mostly fantasy books. That is my favourite genre.

My 5 most read authors are:
Terry Brooks (fantasy)
Robert Goddard (mystery)
Terry Goodkind (fantasy)
Robert Jordan (fantasy)
Maria V. Snyder (fantasy)

Here is the complete list of my most read authors:
https://www.goodreads.com/user/most_r...

message 35: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1409 comments Here's my list:https://www.goodreads.com/user/most_r...
My top 3 are Andrea Camilleri, Agatha Christie, and Elias Canetti. This is unsurprising - I love Camilleri and am reading all of his Montalbano books (as well as other books he's written), I read lots of Christie mysteries as a kid, and Canetti is my favorite author and I've read all that he's written, as well as writing both my junior and senior thesis on his work.

message 36: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 718 comments Marina wrote: "Here's my list..."

I love Christie and Camilleri! But I haven't read Canetti :/

message 37: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 718 comments In my list there's a clear winner:
- Anne Rice! (with 20 books)
Followed by a draw between:
- Agatha Christie and Tsugumi Ohba (the mangaka behind Death Note) (12 books)
- Margaret Weis [and Tracy Hickman! Goodreads omits her co-author] for two fantasy series: The Death Gate Cycle and The Rose of the Prophet (10 books)
- Laura Ingalls Wilder and Amélie Nothomb (9 books)
- Paul Doherty (with 7 books; I've actually read 9 books by him but Goodreads doesn't add the 2 he only published under a pseudonym)
- J.K. Rowling (7 books) Though if I had added all the Charlaine Harris books, she would be first with 8 books. L.M. Montgommery should probably be here as well with 7 or 8 books (her Emily series and part of the Anne series)
- Arthur Conan Doyle, Setona Mitsushiro (mangaka of Black Rose Alice), Haruki Murakami and Andrea Camilleri (Commissario Montalbano series). J.R.R. Tolkien should also be here but I seem to have forgotten to add some of his books...

I usually only add the first volume of a manga series to my shelves... If I had added all of them this list would be quite different!

message 38: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1409 comments Elvenn, so glad you like Camilleri! I love him, and I'm always happy when people who are not Italian tell me they read his books or even love them :) Canetti is quite a difficult author, I'm often hesitant to recommend his books - however, if you want to give them a try, I would suggest the first volume of his autobiography, The Tongue Set Free.

Oh, Arthur Conan Doyle! I've actually read all that he's written, but he doesn't appear on my most read authors because the book I've read is a collection of his whole work, namely The Complete Sherlock Holmes and Tales of Terror and Mystery. I reckon he would be among the first had I listed all of his books separately.

message 39: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3128 comments I've never read a book by Camilleri, but love the tv series of Montalbano.

message 40: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1409 comments Lusie wrote: "I've never read a book by Camilleri, but love the tv series of Montalbano."

I love it, too! If you like the TV series, you should give the book series a chance, I think you will like both :)

message 41: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 718 comments Marina wrote: "... if you want to give them a try, I would suggest the first volume of his autobiography, The Tongue Set Free..."

Sounds interesting! I'll see if I can borrow it from the Biblioteca Cortázar. It belongs to the Philosophy and Letters University so they'll probably have it and in different languages :)

message 42: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1409 comments Elvenn, I'll be very interested to know how you like it if/when you can get your hands on it! :)

message 43: by Robin (new)

Robin A I found mine surprising, since I have not read books from that author in like 20 years. It was my favorite author in high school and early 20's