Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > March Irish Challenge

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments March Challenge is anything Irish or Green. Set in Ireland or Irish names or Irish green color on cover. Leprechauns or pots of gold or blarney stones. If you can relate it to Ireland or the Irish then it works.

message 2: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Wooot!

message 3: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Feb 10, 2011 05:05PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire -she's green!
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein It's Not Easy Being Green And Other Things to Consider by Jim Henson Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn The Green Mile Vol. 4 - The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix by Stephen King Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8) by Kathy Hogan Trocheck Little Shop of Horrors by Howard Ashman -there's a green plant
Greenpeace by Rex Weyler -how they started

But for romance, NONE of which I read:
The Irish Earl (A Zebra Regency Romance) by Patricia Bray The Irish Duke by Virginia Henley PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern The Irish Bride by Alexis Harrington Irish Bride (Irish Eyes Romance Series) by Lynn Bailey Irish Thoroughbred (Irish Hearts #1) (Silhouette Romance #81) by Nora Roberts Irish Rose (Irish Hearts #2) (Language of Love #3 - Cabbage Rose) by Nora Roberts Irish Rebel (Irish Hearts #3) (Silhouette Special Edition #1328 - reprint) by Nora Roberts The Irish Devil (Devil, #1) by Diane Whiteside The Irish Devil (Irish Eyes Romance Series, 1) by Donna Fletcher The Irish Warrior by Kris Kennedy Her Irish Warrior (MacEgan Brothers #3) by Michelle Willingham Taming Her Irish Warrior (MacEgan Brothers #5) by Michelle Willingham Surrender to An Irish Warrior (MacEgan Brothers #6) by Michelle Willingham

But maybe I'll go with one of these:
The Irish Princess  by Amy J. Fetzer The Irish Enchantress (Zebra Historical Romance) by Amy J. Fetzer The Irish Knight  by Amy J. Fetzer

message 4: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments great list, Lisa :)

message 5: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Very great list, Lisa!

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Thanks Pamela. Have you read any of the above romance books? I thought about Alexis Harrington book, but I'm not real keen on a book about the heroine being in love the the hero's brother...

message 7: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I read The Irish Devil by Diana Whiteside and I liked it but it's not for everyone. Has explicit sex and elements some ppl don't like. Also Taming her Irish Warrior by Michelle Willingham but it was just 3 stars for me. I probably read Nora Roberts books but its was decades ago :)

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Thanks Uniquely Moi, it was fun. I have a little bit of Irish in me. Do you remember the movie "Irma la Douce" with Jack Lemmon and Shirley McLaine? I loved her green stocking and bra. :o)

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments I've reviewed both The Irish Devil and Taming her Irish Warrior. I preferred Taming to Irish Devil.

message 10: by Fran (new)

Fran | 88 comments I will read either Faefever or Dreamfever, whichever I'm up to- both take place in Ireland.

Awesome list of books Lisa!

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Thanks Fran, I am so tempted to start the Fever series. I see so many great posts. I just don't know if it's my cup of tea.

message 12: by Fran (new)

Fran | 88 comments Lisa, I thought the same thing! But I finally read the first one and loved it! Mac is kind of like Buffy the Vampire Slayer- a girlie girl with little direction whose whole world is turned upside down. You may get hooked like me!

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Thanks for letting me know.

message 14: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I have Darkfever and trying to talk myself in reading it. I, too, don't know if it's my cuppa. I didn't get into the BDB series like everyone has so I don't know....

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I almost hate to admit it here...but I bought the first BDB book the other day and only read a few chapters. It is good; however, I need to be in the right mood for that kind of thing.

message 16: by Fran (new)

Fran | 88 comments Darkfever is much lighter reading than the BDB, moves quicker, it was so not what I was expecting and I was very pleasantly surprised.

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I may try it on audio.

message 18: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Maybe I'll read it for the challenge. I love KMM's Highlander series but I've read it not really like those. Plus I noticed it's in 1st person and I tend to shy away from those for some reason.

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments OMG. I just check my library on-line and they don't have it for audio; however, they do have it in AdobePDF. There are four people ahead of me.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "I almost hate to admit it here...but I bought the first BDB book the other day and only read a few chapters. It is good; however, I need to be in the right mood for that kind of thing."

lol

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Faithmarie, I see you gave both 'Dark Lover' and 'Darkfever' five stars. Did you prefer one over the other? I only ask because you rank the highest in compatibility (99% !) of my GR friends.

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 11, 2011 07:44AM) (new)

hmmmmm

If you noticed almost all my books are rated 4 or 5. I am TERRIBLE at rating.....
I have to say I would read Dark Lover first. I believe each of the BDB books is a story that completes the couples romance and the Fever books are continued into the next book. .... Does that make sense? If you want you can read only one book of the BDB but the Fever books you have to keep reading to the last.... and I hope beyond. lol And yes you do have to prepare yourself for a different kind of read especially when you are used to normal kind of relationships..... these are a different kind of fantasy. LOL

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Thanks.

message 24: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Dark Lover, in my opinion, is the weakest book in the series, but most "first books" are. But from there they just get better and better. BDB is one of only 2 series I'll buy in Hardcover the day they are released.

message 25: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Okay, going to start Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning for my March Challenge now.

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Mar 07, 2011 10:18AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Pamela, Maybe I'll join you. Let me see if I can finish up two other books. Are you starting today? Right now?
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

message 27: by Fran (new)

Fran | 88 comments OK, so I read the entire Fever series last month. Once I finished Darkfever I couldn't help myself and I read all of the rest of them. Now I'm not sure if I will get to another Irish book this month. Maybe I will go with a green cover.

Pamela, you will love it! Lisa Kay, hope you start it too!

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Thanks Fran. I understand there is not much romance in the first book, it is just the set-up. True?

message 29: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Yes, I've begun but I only have the one book so I may have to run by the library and see which ones they have. I was put off by the 1st person but I'm getting through that. Lisa Kay, you are welcome to join me when you can :) I've been reading slower lately.

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Mar 07, 2011 10:59AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Okay, I should be able to start it tonight or tomorrow. I have the first two. The third I have on audio request at the library with 5 people ahead of me. OMG, I just know there is going to be a cliff hanger and I'll be clicking that there evil Amazon button. LOL.

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning

message 31: by Fran (new)

Fran | 88 comments Lisa Kay, you are right, not much romance in the first one, but a great set up for the rest of the series. I was sucked in right away.

message 32: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Finished my challenge Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

I went by the library but the next couple in series were all checked out so I will check on them later.

message 33: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1216 comments I read Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning which takes place in Dublin

Also, I figure Celtic mythology should work, so I'm working my way through Nora Roberts' Key trilogy
Key of Light (Key trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts DONE Key of Knowledge (Key Trilogy, #2) by Nora Roberts DONE Key of Valor (Key Trilogy, #3) by Nora Roberts - currently reading

message 34: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Awesome! How are you liking the Nora Roberts? I used to read her a lot but haven't much lately.

message 35: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments I'm reading 101 Things You Didn't Know About Irish History The People, Places, Culture, and Tradition of the Emerald Isle (101 Things You Didnt Know Abt) by Ryan Hackney

message 36: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments OH, I should mention 101 Things You Didn't Know About Irish History The People, Places, Culture, and Tradition of the Emerald Isle (101 Things You Didnt Know Abt) by Ryan Hackney is free on Amazon right now if you need something Irishy

message 37: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1216 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Awesome! How are you liking the Nora Roberts? I used to read her a lot but haven't much lately."

I just like the way she writes her character interaction in all her books, but when she has a magic theme it sucks me in, and if the magic is Irish, all the better! So I liked this trilogy

message 38: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 671 comments I just finished my Irish book last night. The hero is half Irish and they briefly went to his castle Ireland.
His Wicked Kiss (Knight Miscellany, #7) by Gaelen Foley

message 39: by Fran (new)

Fran | 88 comments I just finished my Irish book. I loved it- if you read m/m I highly recommend this one. So sweet, and the characters were all wonderful.

When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling by Tom Collins

message 40: by Xia (last edited Mar 24, 2011 08:22PM) (new)

Xia (xiat) I've re read The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2) by Monica McCarty all this month. I love the book! It takes place briefly in Ireland, and the heroine is Irish.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.