Start by marking “The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)

The Hawk

(Highland Guard #2)

Handpicked by Robert the Bruce to help him in his quest to free Scotland from English rule, the elite warriors of the Highland Guard face their darkest days. When Bruce is forced to flee, his bid for freedom rests on the shoulders of one extraordinary warrior.

Erik MacSorley is a brilliant seafarer who has never encountered a wind he could not harness or a woman he could n
Mass Market Paperback, 382 pages
Published August 31st 2010 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hawk, please sign up.
Dreamer Evet okuyabilirsiniz, yazar bol bol açıklama yapmış zaten. Ben de ilk bu kitabı okumuştum seriden :)

Start your review of The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Can I just say how much I'm in love with all the covers from this series? Photobucket I want one of those!! Photobucket

The story in this one takes place (mostly) on Spoon Island

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

After her sister persuades her to go to an annual ritual swim in the sea, Ellie gets kidnapped by Viking pirates (well, at least that's what she thinks Photobucket )
Hawk was at a meeting, securing more troops to Bruce's cause, when they spotted Ellie. Not being able to risk it if she were a spy, he takes her with him on his ship as a hostage, b
Roksana
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highlander-books
Review posted at Demon Lover's Books & More

Okay, for all you who know me, we all know I'm a huge Monica McCarty fan- this book is no exception. I just love Erik MacSorley. He is half-Viking/half-Highlander and super hot! Erik is one of Robert Bruce's new elite Highland Guard. We met him in The Chief, and I loved him then-he's always got a joke and a ready come-back, but something about him makes me think it's a front.

This is a small quote about Erik that shows his devil-may-care attitude. He's p
*TANYA*
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t put this book down!! I loved it. The banter between Erik and Ellie was brilliant. I liked how she didn’t put up with any of his bs!! Have I mentioned how much I love highlander themed books?? Hahaha.
Kathleen
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I had time to finish this book before work after all. I LOVED this book! The hero Hawk was just to irresistible not to love. The heroine was smart, brave and had lots of courage. The story was really good with lots of action. I loved reading how the H&H fell in love as the story moved a long. The love scenes were really good and I could feel the love between them even when they would not admit it to themselves.

The next book in this series The Ranger is also a must read for me. Monica McCarty is
♥Rachel♥
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
The romance was frustrating with the H/h pushing each other away or not revealing/communicating their true feelings up until the very end. A lot of page time spent on medieval history/battles, and while I like a little bit of that I ended up skimming those bits, because it became too much for me.

I did enjoy the author's note at the end detailing some of the actual historical events and how they contrasted or paralleled with this fictional story. I look forward to the next book even though this i
TJ
Jun 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Dont'cha just hate it when the first book in a series is amazing, then the second one falls flat? This one doesn't exactly fall flat, but it's a far cry from the wonderful story in "The Chief". The writing is not nearly as good and the story falls short.

Problem #1: How many times must we hear about how incredibly, perfectly, handsome, ripped, sexy etc. Eric is? Well, it seems at least once on every page! Not just a mention either, it takes at least 3-4 observations, sometimes even a paragraph p
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
I kind of set my expectations too high for this one but I overall enjoyed the passion and intensity between the two characters. The ending was a bit wishy washy with him leaving her alone for months and him just brewing in his own emotions without realizing he loves her. But it was cute, sexy, and fun. Definitely will go back and read book 1 and the whole series.
SheLove2Read
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
Dear Monica, were you on crack when you wrote this?

Seriously. Some of the situations this couple found themselves in - I rolled my eyes more with this story than in the last ten silly reads put together. I was hanging right with you until "the boat scene". I actually threw my copy at the wall. A first! A real wallbanger!

How many times must we know that Erik is known as Hawk? Or that he's working for The Bruce? Or who "The Chief" is? You alternately let Erik treat Ellie as a treasure and a trial
Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in the Highland Guard series by Monica McCarty. Hawk aka Erik MacSorley is one of Robert the Bruce's Highland Guards and a pirate and is sent to Ireland to hire mercenaries. There he is forced to take a wet young woman when she is discovered near the meeting. Ellie aka Lady Elyne de Burgh, hides her identity from her captor.

It has been quite a while since I read the first book in the series but I remember the main plot line of the Highland Guards and a few other key details. I d
Gilgamesha
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
What ruined this book for me was the hero. The book was as well written as the first in the series, but the playboy personality of the hero, and his treatment of the heroine was annoying and even despicable at times. When he says I will marry her despite her being a nobody but I will get a mistress in the side after, I lost my patience with him. The heroine was ok but not all that great either. The reasons for hero's refusal of love and marriage rang hollow. I honestly didn't expect much better ...more
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
I really liked Hawk and Ellie and the development of their relationship. I also enjoyed the historical aspect of the book although sometimes is was a little much (what could have been 1-2 pages of historical info here and there was more like 3-5, and I found myself skimming some - and I was a Medieval history minor in college). I will definitely read the next one.
Jonetta
Erik MacSorley, called Hawk by his fellow warriors, is an amazing seaman and exhibits his skills when he eludes three English ships off the coast of Ireland after having abducted a so called nursemaid. It was actually Lady Elyne de Burgh, the daughter of the most powerful noble in Ireland, who had inadvertently witnessed a private meeting between Hawk and some mercenaries being hired for Bruce's cause.

Hawk and Ellie begin sparring from the outset and he wasn't accustomed to having any woman res
Sangria
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Well....huh.....

I guess, just read Ivy’s review, lol.

I felt exactly the same way. I was a bit letdown by the heroine in this book, I wanted Hawk, my pirate to have someone incredibly dynamic! He was a great character but Ellie, was, well blah.

In fact towards the end of the book I was hoping for more of Matty & our widower, and I never got more.

So........huh.
Elsie
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really didn’t like this book but I didn’t figure out how much until I finished, maybe because the writing was done so well. The hero was a real arse hole most times and the heroine, while I wanted to sympathize with her for having to deal with the hero, she got a bit too self righteous sometimes.
The Hawk just didn’t work for me.
Jocelin
This book was such a pleasure to read. First, I would like to say "thank you" to Monica McCarty for writing such a well-thought out story. It had everything in it; there was romance, action, a gripping story, strong characters. I was really sad when I was finished reading the book. I LOVED Eric "Hawk" MacSorley. He was a brash, charming, flirtatious rogue of a warrior. He was such a likeable character. He was a breath of fresh air compared to his captain "The Chief" Tor MaCleod. He knew when to ...more
Elaine
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I really liked the characters in this book (much more than in the first one) but the plot was a little boring. The story could have been told easily in 300 pages. Way longer than it needed to be for a romance. It dragged a lot in some parts. First half was slow and annoying that the hero was so easily distracted by the heroine even though a war was hinging on him. Otherwise Erik/Hawk was a great hero. A confident, playboy Highlander. I really liked Ellie's character as well (far more th
Gloria
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
It was ok, enjoyable, but not particularly memorable. It got old hearing about how unattractive the heroine was and how super attractive the hero was. Also, many scenes were super unrealistic (sex on a raft in the middle of a terrible storm). The historical context I just skimmed, I'm not sure why I find that part boring in this series, as I typically don't.
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
★★★3/4

I tried this one on audio to see if the series would improve from book 1...It didn't really get much better.
I will try book 3 before I give up on the series.

This book picked up right where book 1 left of. Robert the Bruce has handpicked highland chiefs who specialize in certain areas of warfare to make up an elite, yet secret army named the Highland Guard.

This story featured Eric MacSorley, "Hawk" is a master seafarer, who literally soars through the water. Elyne de Burgh is promised to t
Susan (susayq ~)
As much as I loved the first book in this series, I loved this one even more! Hawk is my kind of man. He's funny, charming, and flirty. He's also strong, protective and a bit on the stubborn side. OK, a LOT on the stubborn side. In fact, he was so stubborn that with only about 20 pages left I wanted to reach through my book and beat him with his sword. Ellie was a wonderful heroine. She was smart and a little bossy, but she was no simpering fool. She also didn't whine and complain when things di ...more
Lucia✍
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I started this book with a lot of expectations and while it seemed it would meet it somewhere in the middle , it didn’t. Sigh. Erik is a walking contradiction and from the writing seems to be a pretender. Someone with an easy going nature would see most things lightly and not pretend to 99.999% of the time. And the way he kept emphasizing that Ellie wasn’t his type made him seem very childish and shallow.

Ellie wasn’t very lovable either cause she’s a wee bit self righteous. The book was way too
Corinne Michaels
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dear Hawk ... you can take me prisoner any day!

I am devouring these books. One by one, day by day the Highland Guard are becoming my world.

I should be working or ... being a parent ... but not, I'm too busy with my Highlanders. The best thing is that each story just gets better.

Sonia N.
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book, this addictive series awhile ago! Just realized I haven’t written reviews on them!
Holly
Review of The Hawk by Monica McCarty
Overall: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 (5 stars doesn’t seem enough)
Plot/Storyline: 📖📖📖📖📖
Feels: 🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋
Romance: 💞💞💞💞💞
Emotional Depth:💔💔💔💔💔
Sexual Tension:⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️
Sensuality: 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Sex Scene Length: 🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆

All highlander novels.... Hell, all romance novels... My favorite heroines... Every other hero I have ever loved and will ever read... What are they? I’ll tell you. They’re ruined. The whole lot of them. Completely and utterly ruined.

I am Ruined.

Monica McCarty has just blown everything
Kiera
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
This wasn’t for me at all. I really didn’t like the hero and the heroine was way too self righteous.
♥ℳelody

Second book from the Highland Guard series. This was okay for me. Good but not great. Character-wise I liked it a lot better then the first book but as for plot..kind of meh. My fav so far from this series is third book that follows this.

As much as I admire McCarty's skill of backing up her stories with a lot of historical facts and information I'm starting to wish she would not pack it in so much, especially in one book. It's getting into 'overkill' territory with all the information
Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book hooked me from the very beginning and didn't let up for a second. Bruce watching the spider try to weave a web only to fail again and again has bearing on this story, although it isn't revealed to nearly the end.

Hawk--oh man, I loved him right from the start. He was introduced briefly in "The Chief", the first book in this series, and he flew right into my heart and into my mind. He's witty, clever, made me laugh more than once, was a daredevil, and gave zero thought to failing. It was
PepperP0t
Lady Elyne de Burgh is resigned to but not excited about her upcoming marriage which will bind her family to King Edward and his efforts to ensure English reign over Scotland. Elyne decides to participate in an annual highland swimming ritual aimed at maidens while she still can. While enjoying her swim, Ellie unwittingly finds herself amid a clandestine meeting and hearing secret conversations full of intrigue designed to thwart King Edward. Erik "Hawk" McSorley is on assignment to gain Irish s ...more
Becky
Oh this book was AMAZING. I swear I liked it more than the first in the series (The Chief). However, when I reread The Chief I’ll probably say that’s my favorite. Be prepared for lots of favorites as I read this series 😂

Hawk captures Ellie to protect her from death when she is in the wrong place at the wrong time. Much of the book takes place on the aisle of Spoon.

McCarty does a wonderful job of, well, everything. The history is so intriguing and written in a way that is not boring or dry in any
Angela James
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, historical
I really loved the first book so I was disappointed that I didn't have the same feelings about this one. First, we start off with a prologue in Robert Bruce's POV, all to establish the history of the legend of how he saw a spider that didn't give up and it motivated him to keep fighting for his crown. The prologue was slow enough, and felt somewhat unrelevant, that I almost gave up on the book during it.

Then, throughout the book, from beginning to end, the author repeatedly told us that the Hig

• Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1)
  • Seduction of a Highland Lass (McCabe Trilogy, #2)
  • Ravished by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #1)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • Highland Vixen (Highland Weddings, #2)
  • The Sinner (The Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • Highlander Most Wanted (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #2)
  • The Guardian (The Return of the Highlanders, #1)
  • In The Warrior's Bed (McJames, #2)
  • To Conquer a Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • The Highlander's Bride (The McTiernays #1)
  • Highland Spitfire (Highland Weddings, #1)
  • The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)
  • Master of Desire (Brotherhood of the Sword #1)
  • Honor's Splendour
What do you get when you mix a legal career, a baseball career, motherhood, and a love of history with a voracious reader? In my case, a Historical Romance Author.

Like most writers, I’ve always loved to read. Growing up in California there was always plenty to do outside, but all too often I could be found inside curled up with a book (or two or three). I started with the usual fare: The Little Ho

Highland Guard (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Chief (Highland Guard, #1)
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • The Viper (Highland Guard, #4)
  • The Saint (Highland Guard, #5)
  • The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6)
  • The Hunter (Highland Guard, #7)
  • The Raider (Highland Guard, #8)
  • The Arrow (Highland Guard, #9)
  • The Striker (Highland Guard, #10)
  • The Rock (Highland Guard, #11)

News & Interviews