The Romance Reviews discussion

Un-active threads > (Mar '11) TRR reading challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Some rules to consider: 
-books read can be short stories, re reads or full length. While new reads are preferred if you are finishing a book during the month of the challenge that will be OK. 
-when in doubt, ask :) 
-keep track of your books however is easiest. A format will be listed. 

St. Paddy's day theme: March 2011

Author: Choose an author whose first or last name begins with one of these letters: l, u, c, k

Cover Me: green cover, please include the add book cover link 

Say it: title uses any of these words: LUCK OF THE IRISH. I will OK lucky or other variations like Ireland etc 

Theme: paranormal being that uses sorcery/magic

Character: of Irish descent/ancestry 

Bonus! Using the names of characters, authors, and characters. Spell: MARCH. 

message 2: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Feb 18, 2011 12:39PM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic **Reserved*
Who wants in? 0/5 bonus y or n

Kenjii (0/5 bonus yes)
Gabrielle
Bridget
Rho

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments I'm in! Can't wait till March!

Oh and I was just wondering can the book cover be any shade of green or would you prefer it to be a certain shade, like lime, bright green, or hunter, etc.

message 4: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Feb 10, 2011 10:52AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Any shade is fine just so the cover is mostly green. I know it's sometimes hard finding a solid color so I will except the 'best' green :) feel free to list your books now and change them if you like. I'm glad your looking forward to the challenge, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Yeah, I'll probably post them as i think of them if that's ok.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the bonus yet or not, does that mean that each author/character we read about should have a letter spell out March?

message 6: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 350 comments Mod
Yeah, I need a little more explanation for the bonus as well. Thanks!

message 7: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (last edited Mar 17, 2011 04:19AM) (new)

Rho's Luck o' the Irish Challenge

Completed: 5/5, Bonus 5/5 Completed 3/17/11

Author:
Swing by Opal Carew Swing by Opal Carew (Done 3/4/11)

Cover Me:
Beyond Eden by Kele Moon Beyond Eden by Kele Moon (Done 3/11/11)

Say It:
Get Lucky by Lorie O'Clare Get Lucky by Lorie O'Clare Done 3/12/11

Theme:
The Festival (Virtus Saga, #3) by Laura Tolomei The Festival (Virtus Saga #3) by Laura Tolomei (Done 3/7/11)

Character:
Any Given Sunday (Wild Irish, #7) by Mari Carr Any Given Sunday (Wild Irish #7) by Mari Carr (Done 3/10/11)

Bonus:
M: The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1) by Jaci Burton character Mick Riley (Done 3/13/11)

A: The Nourisher (Borders of Worlds Saga, #1) by Mark Alders author Mark Alders (Done 3/17/11)

R: Barefoot Bride for Three  by Reece Butler author Reece Butler (Done 3/13/11)

C: The Baumgartners Plus One (An Erotic / Erotica Menage) by Selena Kitt character Carrie Baumgartner (Done 3/5/11)

H: Nowhere Ranch by Heidi Cullinan author Heidi Cullinan (Done 03/01/2011)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Bonus explained! Lol... Any books you read that fit the letters for m,a,r,c,h. Using the FIRST LETTER. Character names, book titles, or authors. To complete the bonus you have to spell 'march' so example M= Mary (character), a= Angie Snow (author), R= Robert (Robert), C= Catch my heart (book title), H= heartsick (book title)

message 9: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

Oh, ok, so you can use any of those categories to spell out MARCH.

got it! Thanks!

message 10: by Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (last edited Feb 10, 2011 11:36PM) (new)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Would it be alright if one of our potential book titles took care of two letters for the spelling out March bonus?

The Book I'm thinking about doing is by an author named Anne Hope, would Anne count for the A in March and would Hope count for the H?

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments I found a book I might use for the Cover Me portion of the challenge but only the book title is in green, would that be enough? Or would there need to be more green?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic @Gabrielle you can use the first or last name, yes. But only once per letter. The title being green works! Thanks for that hint actually :)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Ok, thanks Miss Kenjii! Just making sure I understand, so I have to choose between using Anne or Hope to help me spell out March?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic @Gabrielle np :) yes choose either Anne or Hope to spell MARCH

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Thanks Sizzlin Miss Kenjii, just making sure.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I like that, Rho :) this can be called The luck o the Irish challenge for anyone keeping track of their challenges on a master list :)

message 17: by Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (last edited Mar 28, 2011 10:01AM) (new)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments The Reading Review - Goodreads Group: March's The Luck o the Irish challenge.

Author: Dance With The Devil (Dark-Hunter, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon by Sherrilyn Kenyon Done! 3-12-2011 4/5 Stars!

Say It:

Theme: The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6) by Karen Marie Moning Done! 3-7-2011 5/5 Stars!

Character:

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments I thought of a book that might work for the theme part of the challenge, it's one I'm reading for another challenge I hope that's ok.

Anyway the book I'm reading has faeries in it would that count as sorcery/magic?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic A fairy is a supernatural or magical creature so yes that is fine :)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments That's what I thought but I didn't want to make any assumptions, so that's why I asked. Thanks Miss Kenjii!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic @Gabrielle sure np :)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments I found a book in my paperback collection that I haven't read yet with a lot more green on it, it's still by Mandy M. Roth but there's more green on the cover.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Do last names of the character count for the spell out march part of the challenge?

message 24: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

I don't see why not since the last name can count for the author.

message 26: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

Kenji, can I used a St. Paddy's day Themed book for Theme? I've got one, and I'd rather do that then a paranormal one. If not, I can find some a paranormal/fantasy book, but I just wanted to know.

thanks

Unapologetic_Bookaholic @Gabrielle yes last names are fine just reverse the names such as Smith, Jane.

@Rho if you can't find a book that fits the theme you can skip that catagory. But it has to contain some sort of magic.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Miss Kenjii? I'm kind of having a hard tine finding books for the Say It and Character part of the challenge, I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to do those would it be alright if skip them for the moment just in case I can't find a book for those categories?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic How is the challenge fairing for everyone? Good I hope!

@Gabrielle yes you can skip it. It's also up to you if you want to just do 1 or all 5 plus the bonus. Or perhaps only the bonus. The choice is yours sweetie.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Oh ok, I kind of assumed that you wanted us to try and do all of the challenge, my goof. Thanks Miss Kenjii!

message 31: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bekeown) | 126 comments Okie dokie, thanks to Borders closing (sob!) I think I complied a list!

St. Paddy's day theme: March 2011

Author: One Touch of Scandal by Liz Carlyle Liz Carlyle

Cover Me: Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street Runners, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Someone to Watch Over Me, Lisa Kleypas

Say it: Luck of the Devil

Theme:Hallowed Circle

Character: Darkfever

Bonus!
Once Upon a Scandal Delilah Marvelle

The Perfect Rake Anne Gracie

Jabril D.B. Reynolds

Archangel's Consort Archangel's Consort

The Serpent Prince Elizabeth Hoyt

Unapologetic_Bookaholic St. Paddy's day theme: March 2011

Author:

Cover Me:  

Say it:

Theme:

Character:  

Bonus!
M
A- Anderson, Evangeline (Take Two) 3/3/11
R
C
H

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Miss Kenjii? Will the book I chose for the Cover Me portion of challenge be alright? I think that's some type of green, but I didn't want to go assuming things.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic @Gabrielle I'm not sure i understand your question sweetie. What about the Cover Me book?

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Sizzlin Miss Kenjii wrote: "@Gabrielle I'm not sure i understand your question sweetie. What about the Cover Me book?"

I decided to do a different book for the Cover Me portion of the challenge, here's what it looks like.

To Scotland, With Love (MacLean Curse, #2) by Karen Hawkins

Will this color green work?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Gabrielle ~ Bhlack Benehvolence ~ wrote: "Sizzlin Miss Kenjii wrote: "@Gabrielle I'm not sure i understand your question sweetie. What about the Cover Me book?"

I decided to do a different book for the Cover Me portion of the challenge, h..."

Oh ic. Yes, that cover will work just fine for the Cover Me challenge :)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Cool! Thanks Miss Kenjii, sorry I wasn't clear enough.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments I'm sort of having second thoughts about the bonus part of this challenge because I'm not sure I'll be able to get that part done before the end of March.

I'm doing another March challenge for one of my other groups, and it's taking some time for me to get one of my other books for that challenge so I might have to cut this particular one a little short, I don't know yet.

I just thought I'd let you know Miss Kenjii, Thanks!

message 39: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 140 comments I'd love to join this challenge but I am a bit slow this month - I will try. I will post when I have finished. There seems to be some good choices in this challenge. I am in 2 other challenges as well so I will see how I go.

message 40: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 140 comments For the bonus - can you use the name of the book at all - I have found a book called Cocaine Blues

Thanks

message 41: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 140 comments I have been looking and I have now put a list together - finding the books was one one challenge, reading them this month is the next one

Author (L.U.C.K) – What Alice Forgot – (author) Liane Moriarty
Cover Me (Green) – Dance With The Devil
Say It (luck, Irish) – The Irish Devil -
Theme (Paranormal) – Untamed by PC Cast - 5* 03/08/11
Character (Irish descent) – The Gathering – 2*

Bonus
M – The Highlander's Touch – (author) Karen Marie Moning
A – Digging to America – (author) Anne Tyler – 4* 03/05/11
R – That Perfect Someone – (character) Richard Allen – 5* 03/11/11
C – Speak to Our Desires – (author) Brenda W Clough
H – A Quick Bite – (character) Greg Hewitt – 4* 03/09/11
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty Dance With The Devil (Dark-Hunter, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon The Irish Devil (Devil, #1) by Diane Whiteside Untamed (House of Night, #4) by P.C. Cast The Gathering by Anne Enright The Highlander's Touch by Karen Marie Moning Digging to America by Anne Tyler That Perfect Someone by Johanna Lindsey Speak to Our Desires by Brenda W. Clough A Quick Bite (Argeneau, #1) by Lynsay Sands

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Good luck Bronwyn, let me know how you like Dance with The Devil if you haven't read it yet.

message 43: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

Everyone looks like they are doing a great job so far!

Bronwyn, welcome to the challenge :)

Kenjii, are we supposed to report the results to you?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Using the author, title, or character name to fill in bonus is fine. @Rho once you complete a book u can fill in your list. Or pre-list books and mark 'complete' once youve read it. Like Bronwyn is doing :)

message 45: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

I don't k ow if you've noticed Kenjii but that what I have been doing. I just didn't know if we were supposed to report to you. I only have one book left.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Miss Kenjii? I was curious about something, as I said in my other message; message 31. I wasn't sure I'd be able to do the bonus for this challenge.

Anyway my question was this; were you maybe planning a doing another challenge for April or was this just a special challenge for March and March only?

Or was this maybe just an experiment to see how our group members would respond to a challenge?

message 47: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 140 comments I have done a change to my choice of books for this challenge - he is an update of where I am at.

Author (L.U.C.K) – Wildflower Hill – (author) Kimberley Freeman – currently reading
Cover Me (Green) – Dance With The Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon – currently reading
Say It (luck, Irish) – The Irish Devil by Diane Whiteside -
Theme (Paranormal) – Untamed by PC Cast - 5* 03/08/11
Character (Irish descent) – The Gathering by Anne Enright – 2* 03/15/11
Bonus
M – Falling For Gracie – (author) Susan Mallery – currently reading
A – Halo – (author) Alexandra Adornetto – 4* 03/16/11
R – That Perfect Someone – (character) Richard Allen – 5* 03/11/11
C – Digging to America – (character) Connie Donaldson – 4*03/0/11
H – A Quick Bite – (character) Greg Hewitt – 4* 03/09/11

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Wow you work fast Bronwyn!

message 49: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (last edited Mar 17, 2011 04:18AM) (new)

Ok, all done! that was fun. Are we going to do this again. Here's a copy of what I did, but I think since it's way up top, it doesn't look new.

Rho's Luck o' the Irish Challenge

Completed: 5/5, Bonus 5/5 Completed 3/17/11

Author:
Swing by Opal Carew Swing by Opal Carew (Done 3/4/11)

Cover Me:
Beyond Eden by Kele Moon Beyond Eden by Kele Moon (Done 3/11/11)

Say It:
Get Lucky by Lorie O'Clare Get Lucky by Lorie O'Clare Done 3/12/11

Theme:
The Festival (Virtus Saga, #3) by Laura Tolomei The Festival (Virtus Saga #3) by Laura Tolomei (Done 3/7/11)

Character:
Any Given Sunday (Wild Irish, #7) by Mari Carr Any Given Sunday (Wild Irish #7) by Mari Carr (Done 3/10/11)

Bonus:
M: The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1) by Jaci Burton character Mick Riley (Done 3/13/11)

A: The Nourisher (Borders of Worlds Saga, #1) by Mark Alders author Mark Alders (Done 3/17/11)

R: Barefoot Bride for Three  by Reece Butler author Reece Butler (Done 3/13/11)

C: The Baumgartners Plus One (An Erotic / Erotica Menage) by Selena Kitt character Carrie Baumgartner (Done 3/5/11)

H: Nowhere Ranch by Heidi Cullinan author Heidi Cullinan (Done 03/01/2011)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic *^*^*^**^*^TRR READING CHALLENGE*^*^*^*^*
Books completed as of 3/19: 19
Total read for 2011: tally at the end of challenge(s)

Well I plan on posting a challenge every month. So far it seems like everyone is finding titles for the challenge or the bonus, or both! I could always use a co-challenge mod as back up.

« previous 1