Kidz Like 2 e-Read discussion

Welcome to Kidz Like 2 e-Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Debi (new)

Debi Faulkner | 43 comments Mod
Whether you're an indie author who writes for kids or a parent looking for a good book to upload on an e-reader for your child, this is the place to look.

So, introduce yourself!

message 2: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Evans | 1 comments Hi, I'm L.C. Evans, (Linda) and my book is Night Camp. It's about a couple of summer camp counselors who happen to be vampires with a secret. Main character Shane, his cousin Brad, and friend Nicole set out to save themselves and the other campers, but then they discover the secret and everything changes.
I also have a 10 year old grandson, the Boy, who lives with us and I'm always looking for good books that will encourage him to read. I have a Kindle, but I got a wifi Nook for the Boy He likes humor, sports, ghosts. Of course, he tells me Night Camp is the best book he's ever read.

message 3: by Debi (new)

Hi, Linda! Feel free to add your book to the bookshelf and/or to start a thread with a link to your book.

Welcome!

message 4: by LB (new)

LB Gschwandtner (goodreadscomlb) | 48 comments Mod
Hi Linda: Yes add your book and let's circulate like at a big party.
LB

message 5: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 8 comments Hi, I'm Toni and my book is MY SUPERHERO SISTER. It's about a girl who feels inferior to her older, superhero sister, and how she copes.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 25 comments Mod
Hi, I've started a separate thread for my Leon Chameleon P.I. book.
It's great to be among fellow children's authors.

message 7: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 8 comments Yes, let's spread the word.

message 8: by LB (new)

Hi Everyone:
I've started tweeting both the FB page & our Goodreads group.
Can everyone else o that?

How about starting a discussion here also? Maybe on what kids in this age group are reading asking for input from parents, teachers, librarians etc.

message 9: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 8 comments I"m having trouble joining the FB page. It won't let me add a comment.

message 10: by LB (new)

@Toni: Here's what Debi told someone else who was having trouble with that on FB.

I think you need to click on the "Kidz Love 2 E-Read and Others . . ." button, then you should be allowed to post on the wall under your own account (you do have an account, right?).

message 11: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 8 comments Yes I do. I'll try that, thanks.

message 12: by Patricia (last edited Feb 13, 2011 04:22PM) (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 31 comments Velvet Ball and The Broken Fairy

Hi Debi and everyone, I'm Trish. This thread is so exciting.

My book: Velvet Ball and The Broken Fairy is about a nine-year-old bald girl who developed alopecia after a long illness. She gets bullied at school, but when she takes a fairy home that she finds in the wood, she thinks that will solve her problems. Trouble is, the fairy didn't pay attention in Magic School and doesn't know how to fly, or grant wishes, plus she's rude, demanding and spoiled. She does nothing but get Velvet into trouble with her unsuspecting parents. Velvet's thinking of taking the little snot back to the forest, but before she has a chance, the bullies kidnap the fairy, thinking she’s Velvet’s doll. Now Velvet has to save the fickle Roseberry or who knows what will happen to her.

message 13: by LB (new)

H Patricia: so great to know of another "snotty little fairy" out to get her girl into trouble.

We should form a union or something!

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 31 comments Hi LB. Oh, how exciting. I'll have to check you book out. Heehee. Maybe kids will like them both. LOL.

I'm writing the sequel at the moment. It's so much fun.

This is a fantastic group. I'll go see if I can find the Facebook link now. Oh, and Twitter, can we twitter it?

message 15: by Debi (new)

Hi, Patricia! Your book sounds fun.

As for Twitter, tweet away! (I've tweeted and will probably again later in the week . . .)

message 16: by Patricia (last edited Feb 14, 2011 02:42AM) (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 31 comments Thanks Debi.

Hehe, after I twittered today a writer followed me on twitter, then Facebook, and then came to my blog. Turned out to be a member of Goodreads, and now were friends on here too. I love Twitter, but Goodreads is unreal.

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 31 comments LB, is your book, Page Truly available as an eBook?

I saw it on Amazon, but it didn't say you could download it on kindle. I have the free kindle reader that I downloaded from Amazon and also the one from Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.

I read the first chapter and thought it delightful. will you be selling it as an eBook?

I love fairy stories. I wrote mine after buying a weird-looking fairy doll in a curiosity shop. Strange toys always inspire me. I love how you were inspired.

message 18: by Cornell (new)

Cornell DeVille (cornelldeville) | 1 comments This looks like a great resource for writers and readers both.

I'm in the former category, mostly. Although I do read, too. I currently have a 50k-word middle grade adventure on Amazon.com as an eBook. The title is "A Tale of Two Hearts". It's Book One in The Treasure of Morro Bay trilogy. I won't take the time to include the blurb copy on it, but if you're interested, I'd love to have you read it and give me your review on Amazon. It's currently selling as a Kindle eBook for only 99 cents. The paperback is in the final proofing stages and should be released before the end of the month. I hope you'll give it a shot. I've had lots of middle graders tell me they really liked it and can't wait for the sequel.

message 19: by Debi (new)

Welcome, Michael! Add your book to the bookshelf and feel free to start a thread about it (complete with description!).

message 20: by Ben (new)

Ben White (ben_white) Hi all, good to be here! Most of my books I'd classify as young adult--more specifically, I wrote them for 'me when I was ten years old'. However, The Boy & Little Witch is a gentler, more whimsical story about two best friends journeying across a lonely land to find their stolen headwear--definitely appropriate for kids 7+ (and people of a gentler disposition, my mother loves it :) In the interests of non-controversy, that's the only book of mine I've added to this group.

message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 31 comments Hi Ben. That sounds like a delightful story.

message 22: by LB (new)

Patricia wrote: "LB, is your book, Page Truly available as an eBook?

I saw it on Amazon, but it didn't say you could download it on kindle. I have the free kindle reader that I downloaded from Amazon and also th..."

@Patricia -- my book is on Kindle @ Amazon. Don't know why you couldn't find it. It shows both print & Kindle versions. Let me know if you ever did find the Kindle version pls.

message 23: by LB (new)

Well we have quite a group going here. Lots of great books.

Have we decided on a good way to communicate private stuff yet?

message 24: by Kristina (last edited Mar 18, 2011 08:58PM) (new)

Kristina Brumbaugh | 1 comments Hi! I am a fairly new kindle owner and my kids all love it! I have a (almost) 10 yr old (almost) 7 year old and a 4 year old! I have thought about getting my 10 year old one for his birthday, I figure if the excitement of some new technology gets him reading I'm all for it! They have lots of paperback books, but e books are great to use in a restaurant to keep them busy or even in the car! We are always looking for new children's books and was told this is the best place to start!

Thanks

message 25: by LB (new)

Welcome, Kristina! I hear more and more parents are sharing their kindles with their children and buying them for the older ones. Kids love technology so it should be a win win for all.
Take a look around at all the choices here. Some great stuff.
LB

message 26: by Debi (new)

Yes, welcome, Kristina! I bought my 10-year-old a Kindle and have never regretted the decision. The nice part is that there is a growing selection of material for them to e-read, too.

message 27: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryano) Hello all :)

I recently released my first book, Plain Old Kirby Carson, which is geared towards 7-12 year olds. It's a fun story about growing up, making friends, overcoming shyness, and being yourself.

I look forward to chatting with all of your.

Cheers!

Ryan

message 28: by Debi (new)

Welcome, Ryan!

Feel free to add your book to the bookshelf and start a thread about it.

message 29: by LB (new)

Hi Ryan. Welcome. Ditto what Debi says.

message 30: by Todd Fonseca (new)

Todd Fonseca | 2 comments Great Idea - I'm in!
My name is Todd A Fonseca, author of The Time Cavern series.

http://www.thetimecavern.com/

The Mystery began a hundred years ago.
It was never solved.
Now it's happening again.

When ten-year-old Aaron moved from the big city to the country, he thought it was a boring sleepy town. Then he met Jake, a know-it-all farm girl who said his house was haunted. She claimed an Amish boy disappeared without a trace after hearing the wind call his name. Aaron thought she was just trying to scare him...until the night he heard his own name in the wind.

message 31: by LB (new)

Hi Todd & welcome to the group.

message 32: by Todd Fonseca (new)

Todd Fonseca | 2 comments Thanks LB!

message 33: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Gordon (Christopher_Gordon) Hi everyone,
I'm Christopher. Nice to meet you all in your cool group.
My books are for kids, ten and up.

The Dinosaur Games by Christopher Gordon $0.99
The Dinosaur Games Revenge of the Gladiator by Christopher Gordon $0.99
A near future dystopian society forces High school kids to become Gladiators fighting dinosaurs for freedom in... The Dinosaur Games.

message 34: by LB (new)

Hi Christopher. Welcome to you & your books.

message 35: by LB (new)

BTW Everyone, my Middle Grade book Page Truly and The Journey To Nearandfar has started to sell on Kindle & Nook. I take that as a sign that either a) more parents are reading to/with the kids on e-readers or b) more kids are getting e-readers or c) both.
This is not s scientifically based report.

message 36: by Debi (new)

Wow! How did I miss all these messages?

Welcome Christopher and Todd!

It's funny that you mention selling well on the Nook, LB -- my LilyPad Princess is doing well there (not a runaway success or anything -- yet -- but it's selling better than my other two books by 2 to 1 at least).

message 37: by C.K. (new)

C.K. Volnek (ckvolnek) | 7 comments Hi all. I just found this discussion and enjoyed reading the replies. I'm super excited to hear that popularity is growing for kids e-books. I just got my first Kindle for Christmas and absolutely love it! But I'm super excited about the kids and e-books because I have two MG/Tween books coming out as e-books this year. 'Ghost Dog of Roanoke Island', a ghost story revolving around the mystery of the Lost Colony comes out in September and 'A Horse Called Trouble', a story of a troubled girl and an abused, defiant horse comes out in December. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. Yay for e-books.

message 38: by LB (new)

Hi CK & welcome to the group. Good luck with both your books.

message 39: by C.K. (new)

C.K. Volnek (ckvolnek) | 7 comments Thanks LB. It's great to be here. Looks like there are a lot of great looking books and I can't wait to read them all! Good luck everyone.
C.K. Volnek

message 40: by Frank (new)

Frank Zubek | 2 comments http://www.amazon.com/Stories-kids-al...
This one has stories for all kids. The amazon page reveals a synop of every story so that parents can decide before buying

http://www.amazon.com/Charlies-Corner... This is a YA novel that deals with death, friendship and sacrifice

Thanks for this opportunity Deb

message 41: by Debi (new)

Welcome Frank and CK -- I love finding new authors to read and being able to speak with them is always an added bonus!

message 42: by LB (new)

Hi Frank! Good to have you join in.
LB

message 43: by C.K. (new)

C.K. Volnek (ckvolnek) | 7 comments Thanks Debi. I'm glad I'm here. What a great bunch to talk about our books with!

Frank, your story YA sounds really intriguing. A very heartfelt story I can tell. I'll have to check it out.
C.K. Volnek

message 44: by Frank (new)

Frank Zubek | 2 comments Thanks CK I think you'll enjoy it. Have a nice week!

CK wrote: "Thanks Debi. I'm glad I'm here. What a great bunch to talk about our books with!

Frank, your story YA sounds really intriguing. A very heartfelt story I can tell. I'll have to check it out.
C.K..."

message 45: by Katherine (last edited Jul 25, 2011 12:39PM) (new)

Katherine Holmes (klouholmes) | 9 comments Hi, I'm glad to find this group! My book is The House in Windward Leaves, available on Kindle, Nook, at Smashwords, and in paperback. It's a middle grade Halloween fantasy with more humor than horror. My cover image doesn't come up yet but I'll put it on the site when it does. I'll also be putting part of the book at my author site on Goodreads.

At this Halloween party, costumes make the child. The painter Mistral's mural transports Sadie and her friends to a star where their Halloween costumes become real. As Fortuneteller, Sadie only has to look in her crystal ball to see the adventures of her friends in their dream identities. The hunt for a star-of-sapphire necklace takes up the latter chapters of this madcap fantasy.

message 46: by Debi (new)

Welcome Katherine! Your books sounds great (can't wait to see the cover, too!).

message 47: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Thews (samuelthews) | 1 comments Hi all, stumbled across this group when searching for middle grade related groups.

I've published my book A Place Beyond the Map to Amazon, Smashwords and B&N and it just received its first review earlier this week from a Top 50 Amazon reviewer so I am very excited :) Here is the cover and blurb:

A Place Beyond The Map by Samuel Thews

Phinnegan Qwyk thought he knew everything there was to know about fairy tales. But when the notorious Faë Periwinkle Lark snatches him from his cozy home in Ireland to a Place-Beyond-the-Map, Phinnegan discovers that reading a fairy tale and living in one are two altogether different things.

When Phinnegan escapes from the mountain prison of Féradoon, he must travel a treacherous path riddled with dangers both fair and foul - where the wild hounds of the Faolchú await a single misstep and gholems stalk their quarries unseen from the shadows. Forced into a daring match of wits with a beautiful troll, Phinnegan may find the way home if he wins – but if he loses, he will be her pet. Forever.

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 5 comments Hi Everyone,
I'm an Australian author and my children's fantasy novel The Dragon Box came out on Kindle last week. It's aimed at boys, especially those who are not inclined towards sports.

In short: James is new to town and suffering at the hands of two members of his football team, who like to tease him for his lack of ability. He's befriended by his old neighbour, an inventor, who gives him a strange-looking electronic game. When he turns it on, he finds himself in a new world, where he's a knight with a quest to save the Kingdom of Grobnog from a wicked witch. Interestingly, just about everyone in this Kingdom looks like someone from real life, including two troublesome goblins.
The Dragon Box by Katie W. Stewart

message 49: by D. Robert (last edited Aug 18, 2011 10:56AM) (new)

D. Robert Pease (drobertpease) | 4 comments Hey all,

I've just published Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble. A science fiction novel for kids 9-12(ish). I'll add it to this group's to be read list. I'd love to here your feedback on it. Here's the jacket copy:

Noah lives for piloting spaceships through time, dodging killer robots and saving Earth’s animals from extinction. Life couldn’t be better. However, the twelve-year-old time traveler soon learns it could be a whole lot worse. His mom is abducted and taken to thirty-first century Mars; his dad becomes stranded in the Ice Age; and Noah is attacked at every turn by a foe bent on destroying a newly habitable, post apocalyptic Earth.

Traveling through time in the family’s immense spaceship, Noah, a paraplegic from birth, must somehow care for the thousands of animals on board, while finding a way to rescue his parents. Along the way, he discovers his mother and father aren’t who he thought they were, and there is strength inside him he didn’t know he had.
Noah Zarc by D. Robert Pease
Noah Zarc

message 50: by Debi (new)

Welcome everyone! Don't forget to add your books to our bookshelf!

« previous 1