Terminalcoffee discussion

Sharing Time: > The Colon Thread

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24265 comments Mod
Talk about your colon, or a colon [:], or anyplace named Colón, or Cy Young winning pitcher Bartolo Colón.

message 3: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I like to make faces using colons. :-o. :-(

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Colon Powell? He lied to the U.N. and the world. Probably because his bosses lied to him?

I know he spells it "Colin," but he pronounces it like the subject of this thread.

message 5: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I used to work with a man named Colin, whom I assumed also had a colon.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori My dad loves to lengthy discursive lectures on the state of his colon. Starts talking about his IBS. "You probably don't this but.." "Yes Dad I know, you've told me many times before," to which he proceeds to tell me all about it and how it effects him and how it was for him that day. As soon as we sit down to dinner.

Rummy has a book out which accuses everyone else but him. Very mean-spirited. Well that's no surprise. Well anyway he claims that Colin knew exactly what it was, and signed onto it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

When you start talking about colons you know you are OLD!

message 8: by Lori (last edited Feb 09, 2011 05:22PM) (new)

Lori Hahahaha! Or just anything related to health, really. The litany of complaints. "Oh my back!"

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Actually, colon and rectal cancer used to be a disease of those past middle-age (50s and 60s), but increasingly people in their 30s and even 20s are getting it.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

That may be the case, but 20 and 30 year olds don't want to tell you all the intimate details.

message 11: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Thank goodness for that.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Gail, is there something you're not sharing?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I heard Carlos Hernandez Gomez, a 36 yr old reporter (very good reporter) discuss his colon cancer on "Chicago Tonight" and he was pretty graphic. He was doing it as a public service, as one of the younger cohort to get the disease, to let everyone know - if you see blood in your stool, don't assume everything is okay just because you're young (which is what his first doctor did). His cancer was stage 4 when it was diagnosed and he died in January 2010.

message 14: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Oh my. I feel like an ass now. Share away, it may save a life.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

No need to feel like an ass! I didn't mean my comment to be a reprimand to someone who doesn't want to hear graphic details.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Enemas - good for the colon or not?

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Do we have any proctologists in the house?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) No clue, but I'll bet we have a few guys that would like to think that they moonlight as ob/gyns.

message 19: by janine (last edited Feb 10, 2011 02:20AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments are semicolons allowed in this thread?

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments I think enemas are anathema to the colon. Wouldn't the colon rather have friends than enemas?

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael I turn the furnace down when I leave for work and when I get home my first thought is that it's colon here.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Someday we may have a colony on the moon. Does that count?

message 23: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Michael wrote: "I turn the furnace down when I leave for work and when I get home my first thought is that it's colon here."

Cute

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

janine wrote: "are semicolons allowed in this thread?"

Sure, as long as they stop short of the rectum.

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Phil wrote: "I think enemas are anathema to the colon. Wouldn't the colon rather have friends than enemas?"

I see what you did there, memically and themically.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "Someday we may have a colony on the moon. Does that count?"

Not towards world population.

message 27: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Phil wrote: "I think enemas are anathema to the colon. Wouldn't the colon rather have friends than enemas?"

I see what you did there, memically and themically."

Ooh, tit-for-tat. Nice.

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17334 comments Mod
I can see how the colon thread ended at tits.

message 29: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3434 comments Ha!

Cancer is scary. Colon cancer is preventable, and having a colonoscopy means you get good drugs while doing something that is potentially life saving. Good thing I can't get my hands on more Demerol. My grandmother died with colon cancer, and my last exam removed a pre-cancerous polyp.

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael Scout wrote: "Cancer is scary. Colon cancer is preventable, and having a colonoscopy means you get good drugs while doing something that is potentially life saving. Good thing I can't get my hands on more Demerol. My grandmother died with colon cancer, and my last exam removed a pre-cancerous polyp."

I also had a polyp removed during an exam in 2006. People are afraid of the test but it's really not bad at all. The worst part for me was not being able to take Advil for three days before and, because of the removal of the polyp, three days after.