Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Do you play an instrument? Is there one you wish you could play?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I wish I had learned to play a bowed instrument, like cello. And I always wanted drums, but I'm probably glad I didn't, since they're such a pain to haul around.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The thing about twelve string is that they all have to be in tune at once. Pain in the ass. I bought one when I was fourteen and sold it when I was twenty. It spent most of its time with me as a Paul Simon-style jangly 9 string.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17333 comments Mod
I played Clarinet. Wish I still did.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I wish I could play all instruments, and I can play none.

(Insert masturbation joke here)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Koeeoaddi wrote: "Yes, the thing is a PITA, but I love the fullness of the sound and after I got used to it, I felt naked on a 6-string. I had a gorgeous late 60s era Guild until someone stole it from my car. "

Oh no!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I play piano, and I played clarinet back in school. I know a tiny bit of ukulele.
I'd love to learn bass guitar. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Sarah, where did you find my dream man at?

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments It's the trousers, isn't it?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I love that you call them trousers! Trousers are sophisticated pants. There is nothing sophisticated about those pants.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) And no, it's the neon sunglasses and the keytar. *swoon*

message 12: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Violin and guitar.

I wanted to learn piano. I took lessons, but I can only read one staff of music at a time, so I could only play one hand at a time.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Is it really called a keytar, or did you just make that up?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I played the flute at school. The school I went to provided to flute and the lessons free. I desperately wanted to learn the piano but it was never an option. Now I torture my children with piano lessons because I can. When they started lessons I followed along. I'll never be good or achieve anything worthwhile but I have managed to surprise myself with my achievements so far.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Jonathan wrote: "Is it really called a keytar, or did you just make that up?"

It really is!

message 16: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i used to play the recorder and wanted to play the flute, but that never happened. i've been saying i want to learn to play the piano for years.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments The piano is difficult. I wish that I had kept it up after childhood, but I didn't, and as a result I can hardly play anything at this point. Good for you, learning as an adult, Gail. I'm really impressed.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I took piano for 7 years and remember nothing beyond the basics now.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael I used to play the trumpet and I'd like to learn how to play the flute or a recorder.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24258 comments Mod
Piano. Many years of piano. Several years of violin, which I started age 10, never got good at and didn't enjoy. I do wish I had gotten good at something smaller and more portable than piano. I also wish I had a Steinway.

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24258 comments Mod
I also played recorder.

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

I played the piano as a kid too.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

There is a Steinway in the basement where I work, gathering dust. It's very sad.

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori Gail "cyborg" wrote: "There is a Steinway in the basement where I work, gathering dust. It's very sad."

That's a crime!

I played viola and piano. I always wanted to learn the flute. Such a beautiful sound.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I can play things by ear, but haven't touched anything other than a piano, a guitar and a recorder.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Rachel wrote: "I can play things by ear ...."

Most people use their fingers.

message 27: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments never any discretionary income sufficient for music lessons. would have loved to learn the piano and the guitar maybe the cello.

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael Lobstergirl wrote: "I also wish I had a Steinway."

What's a Steinway? Oh, about 500 pounds.

(Sorry, but I can't resist a pun.)

message 29: by Jonathan (last edited Feb 09, 2011 09:04AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments One of my college roommates always excused himself when he was late by saying that he had "been stopped at the Henway," so that people would then ask him, "What's a Henway?" Coincidentally, his name was also Michael. (And a hen weighs about 10 lbs, on average.)

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael I try and use the Henway joke whenever I can. Same with the Potfor joke.

"Did you get the potfor?"
"What's a potfor?"
"To pee in."

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments There's a pick-up line in a movie trailer I saw this week that made me giggle.

"How much does a polar bear weigh?"
"I don't know."
"Enough to break the ice -- Hi! I'm _____."

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Larry wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I can play things by ear ...."

Most people use their fingers."

Bunnies are special.

message 33: by Sally, la reina (new)

Have all you piano owners and players ever seen the film Once? So good.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

No. I'll check it out. Thanks Sally.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Once is a neat little film. No piano loving necessary in my opinion, but you have to dig the music since the plot is slight.

message 36: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 126 comments this makes me want to play the banjo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzW...

i can already dance like that.

message 37: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) BunWat wrote: "I used to be able to play piano, I liked it, but a piano is a big thing to haul around when you move as much as I do. I should have learned to play something more portable."

keyboard, Bun!

message 38: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I would love to play piano. Oh, to be able to play Mozart or chopsticks!

message 39: by Sally, la reina (new)

We went to a two year old's birthday party today, and I ended up buying her stacking blocks when at first I had carried around a golden toy trumpet. I guess I realized I was buying it more for myself than for her.
But it was adorable, and seemed to do a lot. I think her little four year old musician brother would have LOVED it.

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

This was a party where a child's drum set was set up in the corner and nobody ever not once told them to stop. There was also a piano and a toy piano, played loudly, and Jack even once stood on the coffee table and sang me a song on his guitar about poop and the toilet. Very pre-punk rock, that kid.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.