Terminalcoffee discussion

Sharing Time: > I am worried that I can't follow the discussion in the Reagan thread.

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17334 comments Mod
Is that bad? I just gloss the whole thing and I have a general opinion on the matter but I can't focus enough to read, or to want to read, or to sustain interest long enough. But I'm very impressed by and in awe of most of you who are in that conversation so I would never do what I kind of want to do (in a elevator nose pick kind of way) is blurt out some thing facetious, or worse, a gif of Celene Dion looking like a rabbit.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It's not bad at all.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24262 comments Mod
This is somewhat paradoxical on a website devoted to the reading of books. However, I myself find that once an individual post goes beyond three longish paragraphs I wish the author had separated it into smaller posts.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I do welcome the starting of serious threads (political, bookish) when it seems like 80% of all threads have to do with pop culture.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yes, I do to. I just feel like it is a corner of the virtual coffee shop we all inhabit where I tiptoe through, avoiding eye contact like no other.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Sally, I didn't even bother to open the thread.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Gail, we excuse you from reading about Reagan.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I'd like to see that Celine Dion gif.

"I think I've got a crush on Celine Dion
The way she beats her chest when she sings a love song...
She'll sing a song in English, then she'll sing en francaise
both the songs will suck, but I love her anyway"

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I love Celine's singing voice.

Sorry, but I do.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments Oh, quite all right Larry. Just quoting another Worms song.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (last edited Feb 07, 2011 08:02PM) (new)

Carol wrote:
"I think I've got a crush on Celine Dion
The way she beats her chest when she sings a love song...
She'll sing a song in English, then she'll sing en francais..."

I seriously read this right as "Sweet Child of Mine" played on the stereo and I couldn't not read it to that tune.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh that's really cool.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I can't find a decent youtube clip

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm glad.

I can't figure out how to change moderator titles right now.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments oh good, there's Celine!

message 17: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 08, 2011 09:49AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm glad for all sorts of posts/threads, but I read them differently, sure, at different times. The very slippery internet slope of "long posts = arguments starting" is instrinsically understood by just about all of us, I think, and if I see a slew of long posts I assume an argument is taking place. Very rarely do I want to argue on the internet, esp. if it's with the same person over and over again. I don't have fun with that...some people do, you know? Some people like the argument. I don't mean that as a criticism. I like puppies and cookies. They like arguments. Knock yourself out.

If things are too serious, yes, I agree, start a lighter thread, and if things are too light, yes, start a serious thread. We can use them all.

message 18: by Michael (last edited Feb 08, 2011 02:55PM) (new)

Michael Sally wrote: "I'm glad.

I can't figure out how to change moderator titles right now."

Is "the cool one" a moderator title? I've wondered why some people have extra stuff after their names.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The Reagan thread is just too much work. If a post goes on for more than a page, I feel like I'm getting ranted at, instead of there being a discussion going on with give and take.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Sally, first and foremost, your brain is mush, as it should be, because you have a baby. Your brain might not come back until Leah is in K, and yet you might very well have another baby. Forget about trying to concentrate and focus on intellectual conversation, unless it involves poop, schools, the playground, what Leah ate, etc. That's a ton of stuff right there!

I didn't go into the Reagan thread either. (aside from the fact that I'm back after a leave of absence from GR, sure wish I could claim I accomplished something!) I already know what I know, and nobody is going to change my mind. And I don't want to get all riled up! Sometimes I'm in the mood, sometimes not. Right now I'm focused on Egypt. Say nobody has started an Egypt thread!

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori :D

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lori wrote: "Sally, first and foremost, your brain is mush, as it should be, because you have a baby. "

Uh...

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori No?

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

LG it is not an insult, it is a true fact. Babies suck the brains out of their mothers.

message 26: by Lori (new)

Lori Phew! I didn't want to insult you Sallers, just the opposite! *wub*

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

**nuzzle**

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

A friend of mine has a theory that 80% of our brains are contained in the placenta. You lose it giving birth...

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

Hmmm...So multiple children, multiple placentas...?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep. It doesn't pay to have too many.

message 31: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I like the Celine gif, Sallers.

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

I like the thread revival, Heiderson.

message 33: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Whoa. Someone else posted here before I did... I swear. It was in my unread folder. I'll take credit for it, though.