Along The Enchanted Way discussion

Group Reads > Cupid and Psyche

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 11 comments Mod
I'm really glad I took the time to read this story. It is thought by some to be the first literary fairy tale, and you can see the similarity to many of the "classics," namely Beauty and the Beast. (But others, as well.)

The idea of a young girl falling in love (or being forced into a relationship with) a creature either hideous in appearance or of an unknown nature seems to be timeless.

As for this story-- what do you think? Is it possible to love someone whose full nature is not disclosed to you? Was Psyche really in the wrong for listening to her sisters-- how was she to know that they did not have her best interest at heart?

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I think not knowing is harder than knowing. I mean, okay, people fall in love with people who hide thier natures all the time. In some ways, Cupid/Pysche, as most Beauty/Beast tales, touches on this. But Pysche doesn't know what he looks like; in some way it seems as if she is being forced to play a game that she doesn't know the rules too. That seems off. It is different than say, "Hans, My Hedgehog" or the Pig Prince where the girl is told the rules.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 11 comments Mod
I agree. It was a one-sided game, and that put Psyche at a lower level. Obviously, with him being a god and her a mortal, this was supposedly the case to begin with. However, as far as love and romance goes, this is where differing opinions come into play. If he was looking at her as being beneath him, is love really able to develop between either one? Or is it just that he is truly doing this for fear of his mother's wrath? Does that make a difference?

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) So it is love or possession? That is the question for most of the time isn't it? I think it does make a difference that he's doing because of his mother's wrath. Now, whether that's a good or bad thing, I haven't quite deicided yet.

Have you read "The Green Serpent"? It is a French story that is heavily influeneced by this tale.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (minniea) | 1 comments If you want to dig a little deeper under the Psyche myth, you really gotta get hold of the book, "Goddesses in Every Woman" by Jean Shinoda Bolen. In there she talks about the myth a good deal, and she looks upon it as a metaphor for psychological growth.
You'd like the rest of the book, too, since it gives her interpretations of the major Greco-Roman female myths as archetypes -- Artemis, Athena, Hestia, Hera, Demeter, Persephone, Aphrodite, and Psyche.
The book sure has a lot of food for thought.
-- Laura