Terminalcoffee discussion

Rants / Debates (Serious) > Texting during meetings, classes, etc...

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Maybe I'm an old(ish!?!) stick-in-the-mud, but texting in a formal or semi- formal setting drives me crazy. I don't tweet my every move (my Mac broke last nite, I always skip breakfast...) because I'm boring. I like FB, but my updates are quotes and about the weather. Again, I'm dull. My long winded point is, what ate ppl texting about and I alone in feeling it's rude as HELL to do it in meeting, seminars, classes, etc.

message 2: by Meels (last edited Feb 07, 2011 09:42AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) My foster dad is an "elder" at a local church. When honey and I used to go there he and dad used to text each other during the service...

message 3: by Barb (last edited Feb 07, 2011 09:50AM) (new)

Barb I think it really depends how much of your attention is really required at that time. If you're really only required to be there in body, go to it ... just turn all your setting to silent first.
If you're in a small group, and it's not really possible to do it discreetly, then it's getting into rude territory ...

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I'm with you, Susan. And you know what? And the rest of those people are boring too, because too many people waste time communicating things that don't need to be communicated.

And yeah, it's rude. But it's the old telephone rule - your attention goes to the people in your presence and within that group, the person who's got the floor.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You better not touch your phone in my class, unless it's an emergency. I'll call you on it. Not in front of everyone, though. I pulled a kid up during break last week for texting sort of below the table. Yeah, like I'm not gonna notice. I tell my students that if a phone rings I'm going to assume it's for a good reason and they should take it outside and talk.

message 6: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Interesting thoughts from everyone.

From my perspective, I update my FB status during meetings because I pretty much spend my entire day in meetings. As a project analyst, I'm juggling 8 or 9 projects at a time, and I'm on conference calls at least 6-8 hours during the day; most of these calls tend to be bitchfests (someone hasn't provided their deliverables yet, blah blah blah) or meetings to schedule more meetings. As a result, some of these meetings are really a waste of your time, so I either put myself on mute and prefer to be bored yet constructive (as in completing documentation, etc.) or blow off steam via FB. I see no problem with that. Since I'm on a call, no one can really see me goofing off on FB while wearing pajamas and a ratty t-shirt.

Again, it all depends on the situation. If you're attending a meeting in person, turn the phone off. And don't bother texting; I knew a manager who confiscated cell phones before meetings started, as to have everyone's attention. You should have seen the bodies squirm.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm ok with laptops, though, I should add. I think people can work on computers and listen better than texting, with all the little buttons. I assume people aren't chatting on their computers, too, but they probably are. Hey, I've posted on GR while my students are working in groups, so, fair play and all that.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think texting/tweeting in most social situations is obnoxious. I know the good uses of the technology, but pretty much anytime your attention is supposed to be on something external (a meeting, a movie, a conversation, a concert, a beer with friends) I think you should put aside the technology and be here now. Sure, there are exceptions. You're waiting for the text to say you need to pick up your wife, for example. But if you're sitting with me at a restaurant and updating your status, I'm going to get pissy about it. My guitarist's girlfriend does it all the time and it drives me crazy. The three of us had brunch a couple of weeks ago, and he and I talked and she played with her phone the entire time.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments Student workers are surprised that phones aren't allowed when they are working the service desk. Some have to be told repeatedly that they must notify us if they are waiting on an important/emergency call/text.

message 10: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments BunWat wrote: "I'm giggling because you used a text abbreviation in a post complaining about texting.

Did anyone see the Grey's Anatomy bit this week about tweeting during surgery? The chief of staff is all ..."

I know, I know, my abbrevations are born out of the habit I picked up of texting (I hate talking on the phone) and simply bad spelling habits. I usually use my I-Phone to comment/read TC, so I suppose I am already in 'text mode'.

message 11: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I'm ok with laptops, though, I should add. I think people can work on computers and listen better than texting, with all the little buttons. I assume people aren't chatting on their computers, to..."

HA! You remind me of a friend of mine who is also a college prof. He has been known to text me the most juvenile observations(yes, I am his immature friend)while on break from his class or during their testing times. He's a great teacher, serious about his work, but he makes me giggle at the most inappropiate things!

message 12: by Suefly (last edited Feb 07, 2011 11:26AM) (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Rebecca wrote: "I'm with you, Susan. And you know what? And the rest of those people are boring too, because too many people waste time communicating things that don't need to be communicated.

And yeah, it's ..."

I agree. It just feels like with society being so wired these days, the appeal of being update others on a second by second basis about our daily grind is elimating the desire for face to face interaction.
However, being able to see a FB post from the hub when he is overseas or to have a feel for the situation on the ground in Egypt, well, that is mind blowing!
I suppose I need to learn to lossen the reins and take the good with the not so good.

message 13: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Amelia wrote: "My foster dad is an "elder" at a local church. When honey and I used to go there he and dad used to text each other during the service..."

I love that!

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Suefly wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I'm with you, Susan. And you know what? And the rest of those people are boring too, because too many people waste time communicating things that don't need to be communicated.

..."

Oh, I enjoy facebook a lot. I like knowing what people are up to - just make it count, is all I say. Anything that normally happens on a daily basis (getting up, eating breakfast, going to the bathroom, etc.) we can do without!

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments I farted just now.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments That sounds reasonable, Bun. I don't see a problem with that. I guess I'm talking about people who check out when others are still trying to engage them.

message 17: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Phil wrote: "I farted just now."

Sorry, Phil, it doesn't count unless you Tweeted and posted it on Facebook!

Bun, in principle, I agree with you that everyone should make an effort to make sure nobody wants to check out and that nobody does. My inner old lady (who regularly yells at kids to get off her lawn) just wants to scream that texting is rude in any social, educational or work situation.

"You kids knock that off! When I was growing up we had to write letters and buy stamps and wait for people to get them and write back!"

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I post on Facebook so my son and a few friends can keep up with what is going on in my life on a day to day basis. I keep up with their lives via Facebook and emails. When my son saw my post about spraining my wrist he didn't wait until his usual day to phone me but called immediately. I just think we are filling the world with trivia and filling our lives with trivial pursuits. I cannot see my friends (who live in Massachusetts) or my son on a daily basis but I can keep up with them like I did when I saw them nearly every day. But when I worked no matter how boring I found the meeting I paid attention because you never know when you will learn something new and important. when I am with someone, I pay attention to them because the relationship is important to me. If I am watching a movie, I either pay attention or turn it off or walk out of the theater. focus. focus. focus.

message 20: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Whatever did we do before cell phones and smart phones? Have we created a monster called 'instant gratification'? How important can updating your Facebook or Twitter be that people can't wait until a break or lunchtime? I guess it could mean that your friends might miss your text about the safety meeting at the bar after work.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments It's just a bad habit. How often do I check email a day? It's insane.

message 22: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments If I get a text during a meeting, I'll check it quickly and if it's important (work related) I'll excuse myself to answer it. I am often on call, and would be reprimanded for not answering a text. If someone gets a text, checks it, laughs and proceeds to text back while we are in the middle of a conversation- I find that rude.

On the subject of f/book- I liked it to keep in touch with my family overseas until people from work started sending me messages & IM's that were work related non-emergencies on my days off. Now I avoid it.

message 23: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Helena wrote: "If I get a text during a meeting, I'll check it quickly and if it's important (work related) I'll excuse myself to answer it. I am often on call, and would be reprimanded for not answering a text. ..."

I think if you are on call and expected to respond to texts, that is acceptable. I worked for 12 years with nurses and other medical professionals. They would carry pagers (texting wasn't a huge thing yet), and would leave a meeting to respond to a call quite often.

I suspect that the vast majority of texting is not work related. Most of my clients do not allow staff to have their cells phones turned on during work hours unless they're expecting an important call (ie ill family member) and then they are expected to ask permission.

message 24: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) | 201 comments Yes, if you're on call PLEASE respond to your blackberry/texts/pager/email I beg of you. There are days when smoke comes out of my ears when a patient needs an order written by a doctor STAT and the on call doctor takes forever and a day to respond...just ruins the whole day.

But I agree with Seinfeld on the blackberry/iPhone debate, he just sums up the rudeness factor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYDA7_...

"...you know, there's more buttons here than on your face!"

hahaha! I'm currently going through an intervention (initiated by me) to go facebook-and-twitter-free for 3 months. People who know me are absolutely shocked, but agree it is highly necessary. I'm one of those ppl who post up photos of what I ate for breakfast. Don't hate! I can change...

I think the solution is to do everything in moderation (post on things that might actually matter to other people) and use social media as a lever to communicate more effectively in a global community (like during lectures/conferences, spreading information/news in real time, etc).

At my church on a typical sunday the pastor says let's look up a bible passage and there are many who take out our blackberrys, iPads, ebook readers. And of course we're posting our thoughts on twitter.

message 25: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I totally agree with SueFly. It's rude.

I still can't get over the fact that kids can bring phones into class. When I was in school, they searched us and confiscated any sort of Walkman, CD players, phones, etc. And a parent had to come to school to get it back.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I agree, it's rude.

Aynge, my school is old school. They'll confiscate your shit until the end of the year. I know for a fact that at least one of the teachers use the confiscated phones temporarily, because they look awesomer.

message 27: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Here in all schools, electronics are supposed to be kept in lockers, but of course they don't. I'm a substitute and these things are the bane of my existence. I know a lot of teachers don't enforce it and that makes it worse for all the others.

And parents are not your friend in this department - they want to be able to get hold of their kids anytime.

message 28: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Then call the office. It's absurd for phones to interrupt class. That is total BS.

message 29: by Hanna (new)

Hanna (ohanners) | 201 comments Haha does anyone remember the days when we had pagers?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I was addicted to my pager. It really sucked that some people overused the code 911 though.

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I am on a conference call right now. Yay.

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

I just let my kids listen to music, text, whatever. I don't care.

message 33: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24073 comments Mod
Balderdash!

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

Bless you?

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments When my youngest girl was about 16, she had an evil friend who used to tell my girl she was too fat. One night I took E. and her evil friend to a Shakespeare play at the high school, my oldest daughter was playing the female lead.

At intermission, I had to tell evil friend that if she did not stop texting during the performance (they were sitting in the front row, the actors could all see the light of her phone, etc.) then I would have to remove her phone from her hand and flush it down the nearest toilet. She stopped.

Later, my oldest daughter had to confront evil girl about her tendency to comment on her little sister's weight. Evil girl denied it, then stopped her crazy talk, at least to my sweet E.

message 36: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4253 comments My girl had an evil friend when she was growing up that made comments about her weight. Years have passed and my sweet E has a shapely bod . The evil friend is still an arse.

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments My E.'s evil friend is a model for Bumble and Bumble. I assume she still has eating disorders.