What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

HOW THIS GROUP WORKS > Spoilers are OK in the body of your post, but keep them out of your topic header.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments If at all possible, when you post, please do not put spoilers in your topic title.

Also, if you remember sufficient details about a book for people to find it without using spoilers, please try to avoid them, especially in your first query post.

By the way, check out the (some html link is ok) link at the top right of these comment boxes. We now have the ability to mark as spoilers only parts of our posts. Please use the spoilers html for what other readers/members might consider spoilers for your books.

One of the pitfalls of this group is that sometimes reading spoilers is necessary for members to help find books, but not always. Please use your judgement and post spoilers only if either that's all you remember about a book and/or if you feel they're necessary for others to know what books you are searching for.

Thank you!

message 2: by RB (new)

RB (rblindberg) Finally! I hate spoilers. People should also get used to doing this when reviewing. Can you believe that I've actually read "professional" review where the reviewer spoiled the ending? I hate that; it's so frustraiting!

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 215 comments Don't really see how I can give enough information for a book to be located without putting in spoilers... especially if the ending is all I remember.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Aug 16, 2011 05:05PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Kris, Well, it's polite then to put major spoilers in spoiler tags via the instructions at (some html is ok). Members who think they've read the book, and even some others, will click and read the spoilers. So, many members will see the entire posting.

message 5: by Shane (new)

Shane I'm looking for a book I thought was called "The Darkness Between the Stars." However, every search I've done on the Internet came up empty. It's a science fiction story about a generation starship. They are seaching for life on other planets, but have not found any in several generations. The ship was not meant to be out as long as it was. They had two captains, one for the voyage out, one for the voyage home. The two captains have unusually long life spans and the return captain is not aware of who he is. There's a revolt led by the return captain who eventually discovers his true identity and, here's the biggest spoiler, when they return to the earth there are no longer any humans left, but an alien race has just discovered the planet. It's a much better read than my discription sounds. I loaned it out about 16 or 17 years ago, never got it back and forgot who I loaned it to. Any help would be apreciated.

Chrismullins720 | 8 comments Just in case you weren't kidding...that book is by Frank Robinson I believe.

It's called The Dark Beyond the Stars.

(i thought you might be kidding because...you know...lots of spoilers, no cut tags)

message 7: by Shane (new)

Shane Chrismullins720 wrote: "Just in case you weren't kidding...that book is by Frank Robinson I believe.

It's called The Dark Beyond the Stars.

(i thought you might be kidding because...you know...lots of spoilers, no cut ..."

Sorry, I wasn't kidding. I'm new to this and when I saw the thread topic I thought this might be an area where it was OK to post spoilers. I'll be more careful in the future. And thanks, I believe that's the book.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Shane, and All,

When you are looking for a book, please start a new thread. From the group's home page, click new, and select the UNSOLVED folder and post. Otherwise members here are unlikely to see your query.

message 9: by Shane (new)

Shane Thanks

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) I'm going to play Devil's Advocate. When I look in this group's unsolved folders, my assumption is that whoever thinks they can help has already read the book. I think it is fair that when you look, you do so expecting spoilers. Certainly, it's what I expect. Besides, it may be difficult to identify what constitutes spoilers and what does not. And that will vary from person to person.

If there are spoilers and its a book you want to read, wait a few months and you may well forget the spoilers from reading other books.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I'd go a step further & say that it's often the spoilers, those odd twists & turns, that make a book stand out in my memory. I'm all for posting them as clues, but I don't belong to this group to find new reading material (although it has happened) just to identify old.

message 12: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) I agree with Jim and Debbie. Spoilers often give crucial info that helps identify the book. I usually visit Goodreads on my iPod, and when people hide their spoilers, I can't access them at all. I find it frustrating and prefer it when people just warn me about their spoilers.

message 13: by HJ (last edited Nov 16, 2012 02:21AM) (new)

HJ Another one agreeing with Jim and Debbie. I don't really see how one can identify the aspects of a book which make it unique without those being called spoilers by someone. And as Jim says, it's the oddities which stick in people's memories and make them want to find the book again.

What I find much more annoying are titles which give no information at all - "I can't find this book" or "what's this book called", particularly given the request in bold that they don't do this! I now have a rule that I won't even open such posts - I'd rather know in advance that it's sci-fi or paranormal or something else I don't read and can't help on, or conversely that it's one of my areas and so worth checking out.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I agree with Hj on the topic names. There are hundreds of generic 'help me' posts. If more than a few days go by - often the time it takes my old, cluttered memory to come up with an idea - I can face looking through a dozen or more for the correct book. I'll usually look through a few, depending on time, but it's a matter of luck. If I don't find the right one, I keep my idea to myself. Not what this group is about, I know, so it makes me feel a bit guilty & frustrated.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
I know that there can be disagreements about what constitutes a "spoiler." However, I would like us to try to consider this, and to set off spoilers using the (some html is ok) link at the top of the comment box to help do this.

I read through all the threads in the Unsolved folder, and I often discover a book that I want to read. There are many of us who look at threads that we might have no clue about it. There are some things that we probably can agree are "spoilers." The butler did it.
The father was TJ.
The ghost is actually her grandmother.

Giving details is necessary for us to identify a book. Giving away the ending is often unnecessary, and can be marked by the tag so that we don't have to see it.

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I agree with Kate.

Put enough information in the *subject* so that someone scanning the discussion titles has an idea whether or not it's something they might know. Something like "YA mystery set in farm country."

*Then* put spoilers in the body of the message, but hide them behind the 'some html is ok -> spoiler tags'. Something like < spoiler >The cow did it.< /spoiler > (Take out the spaces to make the tag work.)

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) Sorry for those who want "spoilers" identified. The fact that this is a group to help people find books they don't remember is really all the "there may be spoilers" warning anyone should need. Including possible endings.

When I look for a book and post here, I'm not writing a review. I'm not writing to folks who might want to read the book based on my description. The intended audience of these posts are people who have already read the book and know the ending.

That is the audience I write to. I want to make it as easy for THEM as I can. So, yes, the topic should be meaningful. But requiring them to click on the spoiler tag makes more work for them. And some folks can't do that, depending on the hardware they are using. But I will include best details that I can, which well may include the ending. As I said before, they already know it.

Folks might come in and, seeing my description and think they might like the book but, dang, I've given away the ending? To be blunt, not my problem.

message 18: by Gini (new)

Gini (camp80) | 59 comments @Debbie completely agree with you! In order to be able to find a book for someone you need to know everything that person can remember.

message 19: by Reader in NJ (new)

Reader in NJ (readerinnj) | 30 comments Also agree that since people are looking for titles of books it is inevitable that spoilers will be posted. How else can someone identify a book? Without spoilers the descriptions would be very generic and fit many titles. Spoilers are what make it easier to help identify the titles.

message 20: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (drizztthedragonfaerie) | 85 comments Most of the time when I am looking for books on this group, I write down everything that I can remember. When this happens it usually is spoilers and its how I roll when I try to remember books. I start to think about the book, like the main characters and the plot and there I go, writing it all down.

I'm with everyone who said that spoilers should be expected because that is the only way to find the book. I have a really hard time remembering books if it was a long time ago that I had read them without the spoilers. I mean, I usually mark down on the title saying SPOILERS some where in the title. If people don't like reading spoilers they should just leave that post alone right?

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Pretty much, right. And when we remember a book, we might not remember if the bit that we recall *is* a spoiler or not. Maybe it's a bit that's revealed early on.

So don't worry about it, Drizzt, others.

Just, if you do happen to catch yourself revealing something you know is a big spoiler, and can add the spoiler tags, please do so.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) I don't know if mine has a spoiler or not. I do reveal the end...but so far no one has recognized it so I hate to take out details.

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) No worries - this group is full of spoilers and anyone visiting us has got to be aware of that.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) I hid the spoiler under a warning.

message 25: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
That's more than enough Mike. Most of the posts in our group contain some kind of spoiler, since often the spoilers are the only thing that everyone who read the book remembers.

A good example of a book where people remember different things is Invitation to the Game. If you click on the book in our bookshelf, it shows the people who have searched for it, and you'll get this:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

and

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

and

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

and
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

and

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Which, as you can see, just from these descriptions, aren't really similar at all. (BTW--good book, I had to get a copy of it to read when the 4th person looking for it posted the search.)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) Yeah, I get that. I've had the experience of having someone describe a book to me and they something totally different from it.

message 27: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 391 comments Can we edit the opening post to reflect that spoilers are ok? This thread is heavily confusing for new members,

message 28: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37540 comments Mod
I changed it to reflect what seems like the consensus people are happiest with.

message 29: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) Lobstergirl wrote: "I changed it to reflect what seems like the consensus people are happiest with."

I don't know which book it is. I don't have any idea if what I remember is a spoiler, but no spoilers in the subject line? OK, I'll put "Help, please."

What people are saying is 1) have the subject line meaningful and 2) be forewarned, there will be unidentified spoilers.

message 30: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Debbie wrote: "I don't know which book it is. I don't have any idea if what I remember is a spoiler, but no spoilers in the subject line? OK, I'll put "Help, please."

What people are saying is 1) have the subject line meaningful and 2) be forewarned, there will be unidentified spoilers. "

Please don't put "Help, please" as your header. Honestly, that just wastes time and effort because it means a mod or another member will beg you to add info to your header, and if you don't, a mod will probably end up doing it for you.

It's better to put as much info as you can in the header; if you have no idea whether something is a spoiler or not, that's up to your discretion to put it in the header or leave it out. Something that would obviously be a spoiler is, "Turned out Grandma murdered the whole family."

message 31: by John (new)

John | 1 comments I am searching for a title & author to a book (1960s) about a clergyman who must rid his village church of demon and only exacerbates the situation through his mild manners and amiable personality. The said demons become attached to him and follow him around like pets. There was a sequel to this humorous horror novel and both were later published together. It is an adult story that takes place in a rural part of Britain I think. It is out-of-print. I know that much, and would recognise the title or author if my memory was jogged. Any ideas? Thanks. johnhcoffman2@gmail.com

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 605 comments John - you would do better to start a new thread and not post your question in this one

message 33: by Kaion (last edited Oct 31, 2015 06:19PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 391 comments Can we have ONE simplified tagged masterpost that outlines all the rules and guidelines to posting in this group? All the different threads are confusing, unnecessary, and clutter up the top of the page.

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie I'm having trouble posting a new topic. It keeps telling me that i need to verify my email before I post. I've signed in and out, I don't know what to do.

message 35: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Katie wrote: "I'm having trouble posting a new topic. It keeps telling me that i need to verify my email before I post. I've signed in and out, I don't know what to do."

Post about this in Feedback Group - we have no control over this here.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 36: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Kaion wrote: "Can we have ONE simplified tagged masterpost that outlines all the rules and guidelines to posting in this group? All the different threads are confusing, unnecessary, and clutter up the top of the..."

I agree this needs to be done. It requires mod coordination and discussion (unless someone decides to be a dictator) which is why it hasn't happened yet. Also GR thread system doesn't allow you to pin ONE thread at the top exclusively if you have multiple sticky threads, so every time someone posts in a sticky thread, it rises to the top, above of the READ THIS FIRST post.

message 37: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32086 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Kaion wrote: "Can we have ONE simplified tagged masterpost that outlines all the rules and guidelines to posting in this group? All the different threads are confusing, unnecessary, and clutter up ..."

I agree this needs to be done. It requires mod coordination and discussion (unless someone decides to be a dictator) which is why it hasn't happened yet. Also GR thread system doesn't allow you to pin ONE thread at the top exclusively if you have multiple sticky threads, so every time someone posts in a sticky thread, it rises to the top, above of the READ THIS FIRST post.

Lobstergirl, are you volunteering to be a dictator in this case? Fine by me. :) I know you spend a lot of time reminding members of the rules. A concise list of rules and instructions would help us all.

message 38: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Nov 20, 2015 05:17PM) (new)

I can probably go Kim Jong Il on some of the earlier posts about how to post. We'll leave Ann's more recent one at the top. If there are any rules or instructions she left out of that post (which is pretty comprehensive) we can ask her to add them into her post. It's much easier if there's only one post in that particular sticky thread.

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 605 comments What about making a rules folder at very top of group and sticky it?

message 40: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32086 comments Mod
Perhaps an FAQ format with instructions would be helpful. I think most people want to know how to do things, as opposed to what are the rules per se. It's one way to present rules in a user-friendly format.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

In the meantime, as we sort this out, I've unstickied this thread in order to push the READ BEFORE POSTING post to the top. This is still prominently visible (for the time being), though.

message 42: by Anie_chan (new)

Anie_chan | 80 comments Um, I am new here so I'd like to ask a question but I don't really know where to ask. Is it alright to post query from any genre? I mean, would it be offensive if I post a thread searching for erotica or alternative lifestyle romance novels? There's a MM book I wanted to find but I'm not sure whether it's allowed in this group.

message 43: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1215 comments Yes, we've had many people searching for M/M fiction. It's helpful to mention it's a M/M book in the thread title.

message 44: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Bargle wrote: "There's a MM book I wanted to find but I'm not sure whether it's allowed in this group. "

We are not a clean group. We are an unclean group.

message 45: by Anie_chan (new)

Anie_chan | 80 comments Okay. Many thanks, Bargle and Lobstergirl.

message 46: by E (new)

E (alyeska13) | 36 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Bargle wrote: "There's a MM book I wanted to find but I'm not sure whether it's allowed in this group. "

We are not a clean group. We are an unclean group."

Hahaha! I love it!

message 47: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

But clean people should feel welcome.

message 48: by Bargle (last edited Sep 29, 2016 03:43AM) (new)

Bargle | 1215 comments Yes, we're not a horribly smelly, filthy group, just a bit dingy.

message 49: by E (new)

E (alyeska13) | 36 comments Bargle wrote: "Yes, we're not a horribly smelly, filthy group, just a bit dingy."

Yup!

CriminalRepurcussions | 6 comments Lisa wrote: "If at all possible, when you post, please do not put spoilers in your topic title.

Also, if you remember sufficient details about a book for people to find it without using spoilers, please try to..."

What is the current obsession with Spoilers? Who invented the term Spoilers? If people read a review, do they not want a person's opinion of the book or just the touchyfeelygood parts?
If you don't want to encounter spoilers, don't read reviews.
Spend your dollars and buy a book and read for yourself what happens, instead of relying on others opinions before venturing out to spend your money. When did the world become so precious about oh dear, now I know something...oh well I'll just cry and say You Spoiled It For Me. Spoilers is another wrap-yourself-in-cotton-wool way of not wanting to know but wanting to know because you're reading a review aren't you?
People somehow need to read reviews instead of reading the cover of the book before they feel safe to buy and read the whole thing in case they get a shock?
"Having Said That, Let Me Say This..." (to quote that famous Prime Minister)....I like to discover a plot, the characters, the ending, what happens, throughout a book for myself, instead of being told in advance. I agree with that. However "hiding Spoilers" should be an unnecessary concept, as should "Spoiler Alerts" in the first place ... because if you don't want to know, don't read reviews. Just buy the book yourself and don't listen to reviews previews or watch previews of movies, just spend your dollars and enjoy discovery for yourself.
I agree that People should not give the secrets of a book away, whether in the title or in the body, and people who purport to "write a review" but proceed only to repeat what's on the cover notes or the publisher's synopsis, are not writing a review, just repeating what's already written by somebody else. That's not a review. People just want to gab on, and it can be fun expressing our views on what we read and view. Thanks for the discussion.

« previous 1