The Sword and Laser discussion

Book Edition OCD

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments I want an opinion on whether this is odd behaviour. Be nice.

A little before Christmas, I came across an "Any 3 books for £5" section in our local garden centre (which, yes, I thought was a bit odd) and there were some good books in there. I routed around for 3 books I liked the look of and bought them, because it was only a fiver.

One of the books was Predator's Gold, which I had never heard of, but the cover art really worked for me. I loved it, and found out that it was the second in a series called "Mortal Engines." So when my girlfriend asked me what I'd like for Christmas, I gave her a short list of books that I was going to buy anyway, top of the list being Mortal Engines, the first in the series.

Obviously, I didn't specify an edition, because I didn't think it mattered, but I got the book for Christmas, and it's a different cover art style to the second book that I already owned.

So, am I OCD, or something, because I'm seriously thinking about re-buying the second book in the same edition as the first book so that my books match!

message 2: by Paul (last edited Feb 07, 2011 12:58AM) (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 491 comments not odd at all, mate. it can really freak me out having a non-matching set. it took me years to get hold of the 'right' copy of Atlan by Jane Gaskell to complete my set, even though i'd read the full series.

a good post, it brought a smile to my face to start the day :D

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments It's a bit odd but also pretty common. I have all of Karin Lowachee's Warchild series but Warchild and Burndiveare in a larger trade paperback format and the final book Cagebird I got in the smaller mass market paperback size. It kills me to see them sitting on the shelf together not looking neat.
I'm also considering re-buying the last three Wheel of Time books when they're all out in paperback so they'll match the first 11.

message 4: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Good to know I'm not alone, Paul.

I have a similar problem to your Wheel of Time problem, Kate. I've planned for years to someday re-buy most of my Terry Pratchett collection so that they're as much in the same style as it's possible to get... that's a lot of books.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Kate wrote: "It's a bit odd but also pretty common. I have all of Karin Lowachee's Warchild series but Warchild and Burndiveare in a larger trade paperback format and the final book ..."

That is the reason I buy the Wheel of Times, both in paperback and hardcover, have both version complete, all first edition, but the Great Hunt Hardcover, 2nd printing.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lapowell) Of course your books have to match!! At least the ones you want to always keep.

message 7: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2502 comments Oh yeah, I hate it when my books don't match and often double buy to fix the problem. Currently working on a matching set of Bernard Cornwell Sharp books which is turning out to be difficult.
On the plus side, if you eventually decide to sell them you might get more for a perfect matched set than a collection of odd formats and covers.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul (paulcavanaugh) | 51 comments I'm pleased by the support you are getting. It is good to see that there are still sane people left in this world.

Nevertheless, there was a valuable lesson here: Always specify the edition in a wish-list. It does save so much time and grief.

message 9: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Nevertheless, there was a valuable lesson here: Always specify the edition in a ..."

Hah, a lesson well learned!

I have to buy the next books in the series now, having finished reading Mortal Engines just before starting Good Omens, so maybe I'll replace the offending edition when I go on my next Amazon binge.

message 10: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Hansen (midagegeek) | 10 comments I had a similar problem with Robert Asprin's Myth Adventure series when I was younger. I had bought the Ace paperbacks for most of them, then discovered the Starblaze Graphics editions with awesome Phil Foglio covers and interior illustrations and had to go back and get them all.