Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > I hate it when little kids are sick.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart My 3-year-old niece had her tonsils removed yesterday, and she's in hell. She can't eat anything, everything hurts, and she just looks so miserable.

:( :( :(

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments It depends on what kind of sick. If they just sit in front of the tv all day I'm ok with that. If they're up all night, well, I'm not ok with that.

message 3: by Jammies (new)

Jammies *hugs Britt* It's hard, isn't it?

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I will never forget my pediatric rotation in nursing school. I like to stay as far away as possible from sick children--they're so unreasonable.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Southern Fried Britt wrote: "My 3-year-old niece had her tonsils removed yesterday, and she's in hell. She can't eat anything, everything hurts, and she just looks so miserable.

:( :( :("

Wow, I'm surprised they still do that anymore. Nowadays I thought they just gave antibiotics to make the swelling go down and avoided removal unless the problem was recurring. Did she have something seriously wrong that prevented treatment?

message 6: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Well, yeah, it's affecting her breathing, and they removed something in her ears that's affecting her hearing, so now she will be able to hear and breathe much better.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Ack. Sounds like a rough time.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments My twelve year old is home sick today, but I'm fairly sure he's faking.

message 9: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Hahaha. Oh, how do parents know! 'cause I faked a couple of times!

And later on it was, "Ma...I have cramps..."

message 10: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Yeah, guys never could pull the "cramps" card. Course, they never had to have cramps for real either, so I guess it's a trade off.

message 11: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I hate seeing children in pain and uncomfortable. especially small infants who cannot verbalize their pain or discomfort and you cannot tell them what is wrong because they will not understand you. I had my tonsils and adenoids our when I was 5. My throat hurt even when I was eating ice cream.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I only ditched high school once, and I felt so weird and guilty the whole time it really wasn't all that fun.

message 13: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments the times i ditched classes were because i had forgotten i had class... yes, i was always the good girl, and all of the teachers knew, so i could get away with a LOT when i was in a not-good girl mood. and i never had to make any homework.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yeah, I never ditched a class ever, but if I said I was sick I was always allowed to stay home, no questions asked. I didn't abuse it. Some of them might have been mental health days, but I was judicious in choosing and using them.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Barb wrote: "Come on now. I can't be the only one who ditched class on a regular basis. Mostly math & biology."

At the high school I went to, ditching class meant an automatic 3 hour detention on Saturday morning, where you weren't allowed to do anthing but homework. Nevertheless, my BFF and I occassionally ditched our last class on Friday, our senior year--it was US History, taught by the dreaded Mr. Dormeyer, who would mark a student as absent if they weren't in their alphabetically-assigned seat when he took attendance at the beginning of class.

Myles wrote: "except go out and smoke pot"

Yes.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I guess maybe my town was a lot like Myles' in the early 90s. there was NOTHING else to do here BUT go to school, and similarly, those who ditched did things like smoked pot and went to the park. But when it is butt ass cold and everyone lives with their parents, there isn't anything to do!

message 17: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Myles wrote: "
There was never anywhere to go if you skipped class..."

Exactly. I live in a small town, and until the 11th grade, I rode the bus to school, so no way to skip there 'cause it's not like I can walk to a friend's house or anything. And then once I got a car, it's not like I could drive to school, then go back home or something 'cause my mama left for work late, so...and I never really wanted to skip class. I got out everyday at 12:35 for the last year and a half, so there really wasn't any need.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I pretty much ditched my entire first junior year quarter, then got kicked out. I then ditched much of psychology and philosophy senior year, but still passed. I went to Chicago public high schools. For all I know they still think I'm enrolled.

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments In the 2nd grade I had Sister Mary Aloysius for a teacher. She was a holy terror. She literally terrorized her class: public humiliation, pulled girls hair and ears, banged the boys heads against the blackboard. I started feeling nauseous and stomachaches all the time. I missed 30 days of school. She fell and broke her hip and never returned and I did not miss anymore school. I didn't pretend to feel sick, I really felt sick.