Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What was the first (record/CD/cassette/8 track) you ever bought? Aynge perks's Jax's antennae >> Venice Beach = licks abound

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I know without a doubt that my first two CDs were BB King Live At the Apollo and Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here. I thought those were two bands that would do really well with the reported clarity of the new medium. I got my first CD player in 1991.

First cassette was Guns n Roses/Appetite for Destruction. My awesome older cousin (who later gave me my first electric guitar) bought it for me, at my request.

Records are harder, because my father's collection was fantastic and I spent a lot of time discovering new treasures among them.

message 2: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments First CD’s: Bob Marley & The Wailers, some greatest hits compilation and The Police: Synchronicity.

First Cassette: a compilation of guitar rock heroes. Featured Peter Frampton, Meatloaf, Nazareth...

First Record: Sex Pistols: Never Mind the Bollocks and The Cramps, don’t remember the name of the album now.

message 3: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments On 45, "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Ha" by Napoleon XIV.

message 4: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart First CD: Backstreet Boys, Millenium

message 5: by Lori (last edited Feb 05, 2011 02:58PM) (new)

Lori Clark wrote: "On 45, "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Ha" by Napoleon XIV."

That still runs through my mind several times a year.

At the risk of utter humiliation, my first 45 was The Monkees. But my brother already owned the 45s of The Beatles.

message 6: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Lori wrote: "Clark wrote: "On 45, "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Ha" by Napoleon XIV."

That still runs through my mind several times a year.

At the risk of utter humiliation, my first 45 was The Monkees...."

My sister still has her original 1964 Capitol Records Beatles' 45, "I Want to Hold Your Hand" b/w "I Saw Her Standing There," with her name written on it in crayon.

Picture sleeve: Fair
Vinyl: Poor

message 7: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Lori wrote: "At the risk of utter humiliation, my first 45 was The Monkees...."

Don't tell anyone, but those first two or three Monkees albums were GREAT.

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments the first LP I ever bought was Sir Laurence Olivier reading Shakespeare great soliloquies.(?) did I get the spelling right? That was 48 years ago and I was in love with language.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments First LP was, I think, Styx - Grand Illusion?

First tape (I bought about six total) was A-Ha. Then came Doc Severinson and then Chuck Mangione.

First CD I don't remember. Probably a classical piece. They sound better on CD.

message 10: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Clark wrote: "On 45, "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Ha" by Napoleon XIV."

I forgot about 45’s... the first I remember buying (used) was Booker T & the MG’s ‘Green Onion’. I had another by Men Without Hats- Pop Goes The World.

message 11: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Barb wrote: "Clark's gonna love this.
The first cassette tape I ever bought was Sinead O'Connor: I Do Not Want What I Havn't Got. My mom picked it up for me with my allowance money when I was in 7th grade. ..."

I loved that album- Sinead’s I mean (I still listen to it every now and then) and I did shave my head once, but it was kind of an accident... too much bleach made my hair fall out in chunks. So, it wasn’t really cool at all.

message 12: by Mary (last edited Feb 05, 2011 04:40PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I'm pretty sure it was either Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or Van Halen's first album, or possibly the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever. My dad's a musician when he's not being a lawyer and he used to take my sister and me to this little music store when he was re-upping on reeds or whatever and buy us 45s, so my very first vinyls were "Knock Three Times", "Venus", and something with the lyrics "Let the bells ring, let the birds sing" or similar. We also had a nice collection of Bobby Sherman and Partridge Family tunes.

message 13: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Barb wrote: "Clark's gonna love this.
The first cassette tape I ever bought was Sinead O'Connor: I Do Not Want What I Havn't Got. My mom picked it up for me with my allowance money when I was in 7th grade. ..."

What problem could I possibly have with those two?

message 14: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I'm not sure what the first record was that I bought. It was a 45 and probably a Dave Clark 5 single. I remember buying it and the store owner saying that soon 45's would be history and that people would be buying LP's. I couldn't understand at the time why we'd want the whole LP.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm not going to admit to my first tape. It's way too embarassing.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Oh wait, Brit admitted to Backstreet Boys. I have a safety net.

It was Debbie Gibson and I was little. Like elementary school.

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments It was "Ringo," by Ringo Starr. I was in 7th grade.

message 18: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I mean, what else was I supposed to buy? I was 8, it was '99, and it was boy band central.

I think my "official" first album was Nirvana's Nevermind when I was 14.

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Steppenwolf - Live

message 20: by Jammies (new)

Jammies First 45: Billy Joel, "Only the Good Die Young"
First LP: a K-Tel compilation
First cassette: The Who, "Tommy"
First CD: Chris Isaak, "Heart-Shaped World"

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments CD single: dandy warhols - bohemian like you

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Southern Fried Britt wrote: "I mean, what else was I supposed to buy? I was 8, it was '99, and it was boy band central.

I think my "official" first album was Nirvana's Nevermind when I was 14."

You're fine. I'm just glad you went first, so I had someone else to partner up with in the little-girl-buys-tween-music scenario.

message 23: by Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov (last edited Feb 06, 2011 12:23PM) (new)

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (vanesmate) The very first cassette tape I bought was Snoop Doggy Dogs album Doggystyle when it first came out and I was about 10 or 11 years old! Wow the memories!!

message 24: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 06, 2011 12:26PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I have bad memories of that tape. I had a friend that was obsessed with Snoop. She played it so much that I remember kissing more than one boyfriend while it was playing in the background. Not at the same time, just that the music lasted through several short term relationships. :p

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (vanesmate) Oh and my first CD was Atlaliens by Outkast. I remember my grandma looking at me like I was crazy b/c the CD had a picture of a naked chic covered in green slime!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Actually, come to think of it, I have a similar recollection of Nevermind as well. Apparently, my friends liked to buy one tape and play it over and over.

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (vanesmate) Nevermind was one of my favs as well! Still is actually.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Love Outkast.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) In fact, someone's ears must have been burning because Hey Ya just popped up on my playlist. This isn't one of their better songs though.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) One of my husband's first purchases was something by 2 Live Crew and I guess it caused quite a commotion in his house.

message 31: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 06, 2011 12:47PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Rush's Permanent Waves. My first punk/new wave record was Generation X's first album...still love that one.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) RandomAnthony wrote: "Rush's Permanent Waves. My first punk/new wave record was Generation X's first album...still love that one."

You're not allowed to have cool responses. You were supposed to be 8 years old and pick a piece of crap album. It's the law.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) *waits for Clark to say that he was listening to cool music at the age of 8*

message 34: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think I was ten, Stacia, when I bought the Rush album. Is Rush cool now? I can't keep up.

message 35: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 06, 2011 12:52PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Anything's better than Debbie Gibson.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Oh wait, no. Debbie Gibson > Tiffany.

That battle was epic. Okay, no it really wasn't, but it was to us kids.

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (vanesmate) OMG 2 live Crew!! I never forget singing "I'm so horny" when my moms was cooking dinner and she yelled at me! I was about 9 years old...LOL

message 38: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I heard Debbie Gibson and Tiffany are in a movie together on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I think I'll pass on that one.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Okay, I have to ask. I know Vishous is BDB and Belikov is Dimitri. Who is Kattalakis?

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (vanesmate) I have a still have a single of The Runnaway's Cherry Bomb!!

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (vanesmate) Vane Kattalakis from Dark/Were Hunter books!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Ahhh...I've only read 1 book in DH so far. Too many books, so little time.

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (vanesmate) Yea...he makes an appearance in Night Embrace which is book 3, then he gets his own called Night Play...book 5 I think!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Maybe next month I'll get to some. This month is already mapped out, even though I can't seem to stick to my list. I promised a couple friends that I'd read more sci-fi this month, but I keep sneaking fluff reads instead.

The Fever series killed me. I was so impressed with Shadowfever that I can't seem to get into any other type of sci-fi, fantasy or urban fantasy with heavy world building because I loved the Fever world so much, so I keep going back to mindless reading.

I'd apologize for derailing, but this is TC. The only thing that I'll get harrassed for is talking about paranormal anything. It's not sophisticated enough for this crowd.

Oh well. You all are stuck with me now, and at least a couple of you may even like me, but that hasn't been confirmed just yet.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17333 comments Mod
Huh. I'm interested. I like the term "world building" - it reminds me of Inception and intrigues me as to where I can read some of that.

Did you read Dune as a kid, Stacia?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I did not. Should I?

message 48: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Stacia, I like an awful lot of paranormal stuff, just see my list!

And you probably should read Dune, just as you should read Bleak House or some other boring "classic". :p

message 49: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "My first punk/new wave record was Generation X's first album...still love that one."

As good as old-school Brit punk gets.

message 50: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6027 comments Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov wrote: "I have a still have a single of The Runnaway's Cherry Bomb!!"

But that came out in 1976. That would have made you about what - negative 7 at the time?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.