Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > While I'm talking about potatoes...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments What is your favorite variety of french fry: homestyle with a little skin still on 'em? crinkle cut? waffle fry?

And what is your favorite potato delivery mechanism?
Mine is my mother's thinly sliced potatoes, roasted with olive oil. She has sometimes complained that her tombstone will read "those were amazing potatoes."
I also like making potato salad (no mayo) with all the cool colors: blue and red and purple etc...
That said, I don't eat a lot of potatoes these days. Sweet potatoes, yes.

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments not french fries, belgian fries are the best.

[image error]

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments THere's a falafel place in DC that gives a choice of ketchup, peanut sauce, or a garlic mayo for fries. Janine, do you have mango ketchup by you? I had that in Germany and really liked it.

message 4: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i've never even heard of mango ketchup, but de belg (see picture below) might have it, they have a lot of options, and they make their own fries from potatoes they grow themselves.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I just bought a big bag of potatoes. Home made fries is a great idea.

message 6: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments while we're talking about fries, this is kapsalon (hairdresser's) (fries, kebab and cheese, grilled, with a salad on top):

1800 calories!

that's the most appetizing picture of it i could find. i've never had it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I would eat that.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

That dish is called hairdressers?

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Favorite fries = sweet potato fries

message 10: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sally wrote: "That dish is called hairdressers?"

yes, it really is. a hairdresser invented it.

message 11: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Feb 03, 2011 02:31PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Sweet potato fries are quite yummy. I like to make mine with just a hint of sugar, salt, and cinnamon.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael I like crinkle cut french fries. Is it okay to be calling them french fries now or are they still supposed to be freedom fries?

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Preparing food and cutting hair are not compatible. I mean, at the same time, same place. I don't imagine fried hair would be good.

message 14: by Terri (new)

Terri R | 17 comments I have a tie for the best potatoes I ever. The french fries with mayo served at Tivoli or the roasted potatoes with garlic mayo at this tapas place in San Francisco (I can't remember the name of the restaurant). I haven't been able to duplicate either.

As far as home cooking... roasted potates which are idahos, roasted with garlic, onion, chopped bell peppers, herbs and garlic (sometimes I'll serve them with homemade garlic mayo).

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I like crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. I guess the best are those steak fries, the big broad ones. I really don't like it when they're cooked hard all the way through.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
favorite potato delivery mechanism?

Anything that will deliver potatoes to me is my favorite delivery mechanism. Trucks, wheelbarrows, space capsules, conveyor belts, roller skates.

I love french fries, potato salad, potato skins, scalloped potatoes, waffle fries, roasted with olive oil. Some potato chips (I am very particular). I will cube potatoes and toss them into rice, or casseroles, or soup. Yukon gold have been my tater of choice for awhile. I've been disappointed by baking potatoes so I've stopped buying them.

message 17: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Crinkle fries! Crinkle fries!

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I like steak fries and latkes.

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri R | 17 comments oh, I forgot about potato skins (it's been soooo long since I have eaten them). Sounds like a good plan for Super Bowl. Yummy.

message 20: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Picnic potatoes, which are just cubed potatoes baked with sour cream, cheddar cheese, onion, garlic, dill and parmesan.

Potato skins.

Crinkle-cut fries straight out of the fryer.

Mashed potatoes made with cream cheese, butter and garlic chives.

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Duh, how could I forget mashed potatoes? I like mine a little lumpy. I prefer it not to have that superfine texture that seems to have been in the food processor for an hour. Lots of different flavorings are good - horseradish, slightly cheesy, butter and garlic.

message 22: by Félix (last edited Feb 03, 2011 06:57PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) One of the things I remember most clearly from Angela's Ashes was young Frank McCourt being so hungry when he had a job delivering lunches to workmen, he couldn't resist the "floury white potato" in the lunch, and had to eat it even if it meant losing his job. I didn't look at potatoes the same way for a while after reading that book.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Feb 03, 2011 06:56PM) (new)

I remember reading something by Shirley Jackson, I think - when she was a young mother they were so poor she would take an index card and scrape up the flour at the bottom of the cupboard so none would be wasted. That made an impression on me.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Lobstergirl wrote: "I will cube potatoes and toss them into rice"

Raw or fried/cooked?

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Michael wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "I will cube potatoes and toss them into rice"

Raw or fried/cooked?"

Raw. Cube 1/2 inch or just a tad smaller. Toss them in at the beginning and they cook along with the rice.

I do this with a lot of vegetables - kale, green beans, etc. (minus the cubing.)

message 26: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments My favorite fries are the ones from In 'n Out. They overcook them for me, too. I love extra crispy, overdone fries.

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

So I have a newfound level of poverty and a big bag of potatoes. What should I do with them to make the most food? Potato soup?

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Soup is good this time of year.

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I had a roommate once who would make this delicious Eastern European peasant dish of chopped cabbage, hot sliced sausage (from links), cubed potatoes, chicken broth, and red pepper flakes. I think there was a dash of soy sauce for extra flavor. Cook until cabbage is wilted but potatoes aren't mush. I think she was Czech. After we parted ways I kept making it for years.

message 30: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Sally wrote: "So I have a newfound level of poverty and a big bag of potatoes. What should I do with them to make the most food? Potato soup?"

Latkes!

Shred the potatoes with your grater (2 mediums), shred a small onion, add an egg, a tbsp of flour, and salt and pepper. Shape them into small disks and fry 'em up. Serve with sour cream and/or apple sauce.

They go great with pork chops.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Widmer Gasthaus in Portland has the very best pork schnitzel with latkes/potato pancakes. I get it every time I go there.

http://www.widmer.com/gasthaus.aspx

message 32: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments Went to the site, Larry, clicked on recipes, but nothing for pork schnitzel with latkes.

Sounds like a good recipe, Aynge, but I always have trouble shredding potatoes with a grater. They come out limp and mushy.

message 33: by Aynge (last edited Feb 04, 2011 11:44PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Try squeezing the water out of them before adding the other ingredients.

Version #2:

2 cups diced raw potatoes
2 eggs
½ cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic smashed
2 Tbs potato starch or slightly more ordinary flour
½ tsp baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying

Puree everything in a blender. Use 2 T of batter per pancake. Fry in oil. They should look like mini pancakes, or blinis.

message 34: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments Yum. I'm going to try your recipe. I'm not familiar with potato starch. Is it similar to corn starch?

message 35: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments No, it's sort of like... mashed potato flakes. But in a powder. I'm sure your average supermarket carries it.

I LOVE onions, so I usually add scallions to the batter.

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yeah Scout, no recipe -- but it's definitely on the menu. You have a choice of potato pancakes, mashed, or spaetzel with the veggie of the day.

Pork Schnitzel
Two tender pieces of pork loin dusted with bread crumbs then grilled golden brown and topped with lemon wine sauce. It's hard to beat a good schnitzel.
$13.95

message 37: by Jonathan (last edited Feb 05, 2011 06:51AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I like the look of the Widmer Gasthaus, Larry. It reminds me of the Heidelberg restaurant here in NYC, in what used to be the Kleindeutschland neighborhood of Yorkville. The restaurant has been around for 75 years and is, at this point, slightly kitschy--but in a nice way. Entertainment often consists of a very elderly man in Leiderhosen who plays a Casio keyboard and sings a mix of old German favorites and things that he thinks of as more "hip," like his spot on imitation of Elvis's "Can't Help Falling in Love," done with a heavy German accent: vehyzz mehn zay ohnlee foolz rrrrush eeeen...

A great menu:

http://www.heidelbergrestaurant.com/m...

message 38: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments BunWat wrote: "Hutspot - super delicious dutch dish of potato, onion, carrot and (sometimes) sausage."

you should really try that sally. all you need are potatoes, carrots and onions, and some basics like salt and butter/milk. you can also throw in some bouillon cubes instead of the salt, and some sugar when you're mashing it.

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Larry wrote: "Soup is good this time of year."

Soup is good any time of year!

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm making butternut squash soup today.

message 41: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I love any kind of fried potato but do not usually have them because it is fried. Trying to watch my fat intake before by cholestoral levels go over 200. Maybe I have tater tots once a month when I have fish which I bake not fry. I love butternut squash soup. I make mine with apple cider, cinnamon and ginger.

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Larry wrote: "I'm making butternut squash soup today."

Enjoy!

message 43: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments Jonathan, I can hear the man in Leiderhosen singing Elvis.

This was my favorite on the menu you posted:

Jaeger Schnitzel: veal cutlet,sauteed mushrooms,cream & wine. Spaetzle & red cab $24.95

Sounds really tasty, but I'm not familiar with spaetzle.

message 44: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I suspect you might mean Lederhosen (leather pants). Leiderhosen would be "unfortunately pants."

message 45: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments I suspect you might want to look at previous posts and let the discussion flow.

message 46: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I suspect you might mean Lederhosen (leather pants). Leiderhosen would be "unfortunately pants.""

That was my mistake, actually. Funny. My German's terrible.

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm not crazy about spätzle. It's some of that starchy, filling German fare that you get in Amish country eateries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp%C3%A4...

message 48: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Maybe I'll try it next time I'm at the Heidelberg. Usually I'm more focused on the meat dishes and the beer, of which they have a nice selection. Also there's the decor, which includes a lot of oil paintings (not good) of snow-covered Bavarian villages, shelves lined with old beer steins and model train cars, a large Alp horn, framed photos of JFK and Jackie. It's all just accumulated over the years, I guess.

message 49: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments They look better if you wear one of these Tyrolean hats too:

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The last time I was in New York I saw an old man wearing a Tyrolean hat in a completely unironic way. It was adorable.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.