The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Well hello there...

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Nice to meet you all. I have been a bookworm for as long as I can remember. I like fiction and non-fiction alike. When I read the description for this group, I knew it was the place for me. I don't know when or who stalked me coming and going from Barnes & Nobles, but you forgot to mention the part about how my friends are no longer willing to go there with me because I take hours to browse. Just kidding about the stalker part, but my friends really refuse to go there with me anymore. >:(

*ahem* Getting back to topic, I would like to apologize for forgetting to to make an introduction before posting everywhere. My favorite books are, in no particular order, as follows:

(Takes deep breath)

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

Monster by Christopher Pike

The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Yes, these 2 are novels for teens, but they have remained my favorites and I recommend them for any age. So there.)

Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard

If Looks Could Kill by Eileen Dreyer

Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell K. Hamilton

Mister Posterior and the Genius Child by Emily Jenkins

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel

PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives by Frank Warren

Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior by Temple Grandin

Hardcore Zen: Punk Rock, Monster Movies, & The Truth About Reality by Brad Warner

...And ever growing.

This is, no doubt, the longest introduction post I have ever made in my life. I apologize for causing any eyes to bleed.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the Group Bonnie. My B&N has a up close parking space reserved for me! ha ha.

message 3: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Hi Bonnie-

Were you named after Scarlett & Rhett's little girl?

I also loved The Historian and am currently reading though the Anita Blake books, but I am only on number five or six, I think. I have a bit of a wait for the next one at the library. They only have one copy and I'm still waiting.

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments welcome Bonnie!

message 5: by Val (new)

Val Nichols | 159 comments Welcome to the group, Bonnie. I thought the same thing as Marsha about your name...I'm sure you're tired of people asking about that. :0)

I think we are all physically unable to walk past a bookstore, or any books anywhere, so you will fit right in!

message 6: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Hello Bonnie!! Welcome!
You know, every time I see The Historian in the library or in Borders I am tempted to get it, but I never do. May I ask why it is a favorite?

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Welcome Bonnie! Nice selection of favorites!

message 8: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) I have a confession to make. Blue is just a nickname. I get called Bonnie Blue a lot, most likely because of "Gone With The Wind". It doesn't help that I moved to Georgia. And want to hear something funny? Coincidentally, I live in the area where Tara plantation was (well the one it was modeled after). In fact, I live right off of Tara Blvd. You can guess why it's named Tara, lol.

I was actually named after my grandmothers.People like to make up middle names for me though. I have been called Bonnie Lou and Bonnie Kate also, lol. "Bonnie" is apparently a fun name to make up middle names for. You guys may make up your own nicknames if you like. Trust me, I am used to it.:p I also get asked a LOT where my Clyde is. *rolls eyes*

And to answer the question about "The Historian"; if you liked Bram Stoker's Dracula, or if you are interested in the history of Romania and the Dracula legend, then you will like this book. It is full of that history. To be honest, when I first started reading it I didn't think I was going to like it. But I like mystery, and once that mysterious dragon print showed up, I was hooked. I liked the ending, but it did still leave questions unanswered.

Feel free to ask me any questions, or to make any recommendations. Once my paycheck hits, I will need to spend it, lol. :D

P.S. Anyone read the book after Gone With The Wind? It was called Scarlett, by Alexandra Ripley. It was pretty decent. It isn't the type of book I would look for to read, but it was there, and I was bored.

message 9: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments Hi Bonnie. Welcome to a great place!
That is so funny about your friends not wanting to go with you to B&N anymore.
I know exactly how that is. I can't go in that store for just 5 minutes.
So, if I bring anyone with me, I have to warn them. Or, I just don't bring anyone with me. Then I don't feel so guilty if I over stay my welcome.

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Hi Bonnie...
I love that Invisible Monsters is one of your favorite books. It was the first book by Chuck P that I had read, and stays at the top of my fav books from him!

message 11: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I read Scarlett a long time ago, back in 10th grade. Don't remember much of it, ha ha.

Romania, what a funny coincidence, the book I'm currently reading, Fell by David Clement-Davies is set in Romania, its about a wolf and a girl, and has some allusions to Dracula. Also, I read this really great Holocaust memoir about this Romanian girl, it was called The Seamstress and I think it's by Seren Tuval Bernstein. Don't quote me on that though.

message 12: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Hmm... April, that book you are reading sounds interesting. How is it so far? Since The Historian my interest in Romania and Dracula lore has been piqued.

And Lori, Invisible Monsters was the first one I read by him too! I kept hearing great reviews about him from everyone, so I finally said "Why not?" and randomly chose that one. And I am so glad I did. :D I have yet to read Rant or Snuff though. or Fight Club, actually. *hides head in shame*

And Kellie, if you think that's bad, when my friends call me up and find out that I am in a bookstore, they usually just tell me nevermind and hang up. They don't even bother with me anymore while I am in a bookstore, because they know they wont be able to get my attention for more than a few minutes or for the time it takes to find another book that looks interesting.

Would anyone feel stalked if I added them as a friend? Because right now the only person on my friends list is Neil Gaiman. Not that I am complaining or anything, lol.

message 13: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I heart friends haha.
It's pretty good, however it is a YA book. If you don't mind animal fiction and that sort of thing. It's not any sort of heavy literature, just a nice entertaining read.

message 14: by Val (new)

Val Nichols | 159 comments Bonnie, it's not stalking to add friends. That's one of the things this place is for!

message 15: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Good to know! lol Thanks. :D

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Welcome, Bonnie!

I just picked up one of the PostSecret books myself...they are just so interesting! And I have Scarlett, but I haven't read it yet (although I LOVED the made for tv version! *L*)

And don't worry...any of us here would jump at the chance to go to a bookstore with you! We're just as addicted:P

message 17: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Aw. Thanks! None of my friends are as into books as I am.

Don't some of those secrets make you want to cry? Speaking of which, I need to go to the site and check out the new ones for today. Did you know he has a myspace and a facebook account as well? I think he puts different ones on there than the blog. Just let me know if you need the url addresses.

message 18: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments Friends are good to have!! Add away!
They are building a mall not too far from our house and low and behold it's gonna have a B&N. So, you know where I'll be....can't wait for it to open!

message 19: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Bonnie, funny, every chuck p book you just said you havent read .. I havent read either. I saw Fight Club the movie before i realised it was a book, so i havent really felt the urge to read it, tho i know i am missing out on a great book!

message 20: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Hi there!

I haven't read any of his books but I do want to read Fight Club, just waiting a while until I forget the movie a little more, watched it a couple of months back so shouldn't be too long until the details escape my mind :-)

message 21: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Hi Bonnie,welcome to the group. :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello Bonnie, welcome to reader nirvana.

message 23: by Macy (new)

Macy | 155 comments Welcome, Bonnie! I think most of us are always open to being "friended" - it just gives us more people to compare books with. I don't even go into bookstores much anymore - I can never just buy one and then I get WAY TOO MANY on my stack to read. :)

message 24: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Lori, that's the same reason why I haven't read it. I don't like like to read books after I have seen the movie, because I don't want to get confused with what happened in the book and what happened in the movie. I have pretty much forgotten the movie though, so I guess it is safe now, lol.

message 25: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Thank you guys for the many welcomes. Macy, I understand your pain. I can go into a bookstore looking for one book and come out with 2 bags full. I have no control.:p

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda | 887 comments Bonnie,

Welcome. I think everyone who joins this group has somethings fascinating to add. Some more than others. I think I'll go down and get eye drops (just kidding). Your enthusiasm is fantastic.