Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
This topic is about Magician
Riftwar Saga > Magician Apprentice:: Halfway Check In (Marked Spoilers Allowed)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (last edited Feb 01, 2011 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) For the purpose of consistancy, we'll call the halfway point everything up to (and including) chapter nine.

As of the halfway point, how are you now feeling about the story? If it was grabbing you from page one, is it still holding your attention? If you weren’t impressed with the beginning, have you started coming around to being interested?

Remember to mark all spoilers per the directions below!

To mark spoilers: Goodreads has a new option that I'm hoping we can all be diligent in using, the spoiler tag! It's an html code that will hide the spoiler so that people can browse the thread without fear and click to open the spoiler only if they are ready.

To do the tag, just surround the text that you want to hide as a spoiler with [spoiler] in front, and [/spoiler] at the end (with [] replaced with <> to make it work). (view spoiler).

If you have any questions, or if you're confused by my instructions, feel free to ask!

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I'm almost there. I'm in the middle of chapter nine. I'm glad that you said where the middle was. I wasn't sure if I was far enough to look in on this thread. Glad I did. If the event has happened before or in this chapter, would we need to mark it as a spoiler? Or would it be okay to do it without one since I would assume if one were looking in this thread they would have read that far?

Dawn (breakofdawn) I would say still mark it as a spoiler. That way if it shows up in your updates feed, it won't ruin it for anyone. I'm of the opinion that spoilers should be marked, even if it's a spoiler thread, just in case. Better safe than sorry!

message 4: by Amelia (last edited Feb 01, 2011 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Okay sounds good. From chapter nine: (view spoiler)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Amelia,

(view spoiler)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Dawn,

(view spoiler)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I don't notice similarities usually either, until they are pointed out to me. I guess when I'm enjoying something, I just get swept away and don't care if it's been done before! Nothing wrong with that, I actually prefer it that way!

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I thought of something else. It's spoilerish so: (view spoiler)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Boy I'm on a roll today. (view spoiler)

Julie Amelia,

A couple of things, thanks for the noob perspective, I don't think I could match it since I've read all the books. It's hard to go back and see if from a first time perspective again so it nice to see it through your eyes.

Secondly, did you know that in the South of Japan in Kyushu horse is considered a delicacy?

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I didn't know that. Is that a specific breed of horse? I haven't heard of that. I know that horse is a common meat used in different parts of the world, but it still makes me sad to think of them being eaten. I'd much rather think of riding them.

Well, I'll try to keep my insights coming. It's fun to learn about a new world and adventure. I can't get enough of them. Sometimes I wonder how I miss series like this. Goodreads really has expanded my horizons of reading for both the classics and the new stuff.

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Now I've finished the chapter (and read on). I didn't even know what I was missing by not having finished the chapter. (view spoiler) I really like the story so far.

message 13: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) I'm finished with the book now, but as of halfway this is how I was feeling.

Chapter two spoilers: (view spoiler)

Chapter nine spoilers: (view spoiler)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I'm only up to Chapter 7 but I'm having a whole lot of fun. It's reminding me a little bit of Assassin's Apprentice, only in that both heroes are apprenticed and it's a coming of age story. Of course this one was written first.

I'm a sucker for coming of age stories, but the protag has to be someone I like. I just finished The Eye of the World and didn't enjoy it half as much because the main characters were dumb as a box of rocks. Pug is filling the bill so far.

message 15: by Dawn (last edited Feb 03, 2011 04:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) I'm really glad you're enjoying it! I'm a sucker for coming of age stories as well.

message 16: by Jon (last edited Feb 04, 2011 02:50AM) (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments The story is still intriguing me, although I'm not a fan of young adult nor coming of age stories, except when I want to feel nostalgic about my adolescence (which isn't often).

I like that this novel is an adventure, but not the traditional quest "Chosen One" orphan fantasy tale. Pug (and Tomas) seem to be along for the ride, on the fringes of events, but still willing and able to make a contribution.

Chapter Nine: (view spoiler)

Chapter Eight: (view spoiler)

Magician: Apprentice
Raymond E. Feist

message 17: by Kara (last edited Feb 17, 2011 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (sterlink) | 60 comments Woot! Half-way & checking in! (well - I'm actually on Chapter 11 now, couldn't put the book down last night! Esp. after (view spoiler)

So, I've never read this series before. Yes, there ARE a lot of similarities between this and other fantasy, but that's ok.

I thought the book started slow. I started getting firmly interested after (view spoiler)(oOOOoooo - I liked that).

I also like the characters. These days it seems like a lot of fantasy HAS to have mean and evil characters... even on the GOOD side. I think because of this, I keep expecting that the Duke, or one of his sons, or the sword master or SOMEONE, will do something cruel, and without honor. I have been wonderfully impressed by the good, upstanding, honorable and moral nature/actions of the men of Crydee. It is (sadly) refreshing to me.

An example is (view spoiler) This is how I would want my boys to behave.

Pug and Princess:(view spoiler)

(view spoiler) Go Tomas!

In summary, wasn't to impressed at beginning... was thinking,
"God, and how many books before this group starts something else...",
but I am thoroughly enjoying it now.

Is this considered YA by chance? Anyone??

message 18: by Kara (last edited Feb 17, 2011 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (sterlink) | 60 comments Also, I'm a bit confused about the half-way check-in and spoilers. I assumed that people reading this thread have read through Ch. 9, however...

Should you mark spoilers for ANY spoiler? (as I did)
OR
Do you mark spoilers ONLY for things occurring after the half-way check-in mark, or after chapter 9?
(as I wanted to do)

message 19: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) I prefer it the way you did it, if it's not too much trouble... I guess I always was of the opinion that spoilers should still be marked in spoiler threads, so that casual browsers could still be safe to enter. Also, it's a good way to protect against people being spoiled in your update feed, should you happen to forget to uncheck the box.

The idea for me, for doing only marked spoiler threads.. Say someone is just starting out and are bored, and want to see what people think by halfway without being spoiled. They could come in here, without fear of it being ruined, and see general impressions. Meanwhile, we could all talk spoilers mixed with our impressions, without having to have a million different threads to navigate through. I just like the idea that with the new spoiler tag, there's no need for spoiler/non-spoiler threads anymore, we can do all of our discussing in one spot.

I never really found it to be a hassle myself, but since several others seem to be annoyed.. If you guys want I can make a unmarked spoiler thread where everyone can go crazy. Just let me know! I just want everyone to be happy with the setup :)

message 20: by Kara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (sterlink) | 60 comments Thanks for clarifying. I'm fine with marking them. =)

message 21: by Jon (new)

Jon (FTSJ) | 6 comments [spoiler] a [/spoiler]