Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Chit Chat > QOTW - Jan. 31 - Feb. 6 , 2011

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) Theresa mentioned that she's got the Winter Reading Blahs. What is the last book you rated 5-stars? When was that?

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) My last 5-star read was A Thousand Splendid Suns back in November - two and a half months without a 5-star read, but quite a few 4-stars.

I highly recommend it if you haven't read it - I think I enjoyed it more than The Kite Runner.

message 3: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) My last 5 star read was either As God Commands or Catching Fire not sure which I read last.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments My last one was WATER FOR ELEPHANTS last fall. Shortly before that, it was Anna Quindlen's EVERY LAST ONE. I'm ready for another 5-star book!

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (rstjm4) | 70 comments Mine was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which I read in January. Before that it was a long time! I don't even remember the last 5 star but it was probably Mockingjay in October!

message 6: by Elise (new)

Elise I read a five-star book just recently. Unbroken is amazing!

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Elise wrote: "I read a five-star book just recently. Unbroken is amazing!"

Elise, can you explain what you liked so much about Unbroken? I am curious more as a writer than a reader.

message 8: by Stacey (new)

Stacey My last 5 star book was Left Neglected by Lisa Genova! *loved it*

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments Just finished Left Neglected and rated it as 5 stars too, Stacey!

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I think LEFT NEGLECTED may be my next one. I'm loving all of these 5-star ratings on here! Still embroiled in THE LOTUS EATERS but should finish soon.

message 11: by Elise (new)

Elise Theresa, I've been trying to put into words why I liked Unbroken so much. Of course, the story is just unbelievable. You just like the main character so much, and his travails are just nerve wracking. But, what I especially liked about Hillenbrand's style was how she kept herself so out of the story. She let the story tell itself, with no melodrama, no handwringing, no emotion. The reader could provide plenty of their own!

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I picked up Left Neglected from the library, and now that I FINALLY finished The Kitchen House, I will start that book.
Besides the wonderful reviews, I heard a great interview with the author on The Diane Rehm show this week. I posted a link under author interview.

message 13: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Elise wrote: "Theresa, I've been trying to put into words why I liked Unbroken so much. Of course, the story is just unbelievable. You just like the main character so much, and his travails are just nerve wrac..."

Thanks for your insight, Elise. I am currently working on a book proposal concerning the story of two American women caught up in the Japanese occupation of the Philippines. I have Hillenbrand's book on my desk for stylistic inspiration.

message 14: by Theresa (new)

Theresa My last "starred" book (I think that would be my equivalent of 5 stars) was "My Name is Mary Sutter" from December.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Sara wrote: "Mine was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which I read in January. Before that it was a long time! I don't even remember the last 5 star but it was probably Mockingjay in October!"

Elise,
Do you subscribe to NPR Books on Facebook? I see they have a discussion this week/month? about Unbroken. I might have to check that out next.Also, I think they have an interview with the author scheduled.