Start by marking “Left Neglected” as Want to Read:
Left Neglected

Left Neglected

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  68,996 ratings  ·  6,821 reviews
Sarah Nickerson is like any other career-driven supermom in Welmont, the affluent Boston suburb where she leads a hectic but charmed life with her husband Bob, faithful nanny, and three children - Lucy, Charlie, and nine-month-old Linus.

Between recruiting the best and brightest minds as the vice president of human resources at Berkley Consulting; shuttling the kids to soc

Published January 4th 2011 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Left Neglected, please sign up.
Cathy I encourage you to read this book for yourself. It was not depressing at all for me. I didn't (and still don't) have experience or knowledge about TBI…moreI encourage you to read this book for yourself. It was not depressing at all for me. I didn't (and still don't) have experience or knowledge about TBI but I found this book and the characters, all of them, absolutely amazing. It's a wonderful novel and I don't think you will be disappointed.(less)

·  68,996 ratings  ·  6,821 reviews

Start your review of Left Neglected
Nancy
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Barnes & Noble are return Nazis. When I tried to return a Christmas gift for store credit (no receipt - it was a gift), the clerk was quite nasty about it. So I conceived an evil scheme: I would buy a book I was only mildly interested in (Lisa Genova's Left Neglected), read it, and then return it. Take that, B&N!

A problem arose.

Lisa Genova's book is...really good. Fascinating, actually. Sarah, the hard-driving, consulting-firm executive and mother of three, wins the daily gamble with her husban
Petra-X
Often follow-up books seem written to capitalise on the first book's success and this is no exception. It seems as though Genova has invented a new genre, neurological chicklit.

I didn't think it was as good as her first book, Still Alice but perhaps that's in part because Still Alice had a likeable protagonist who progressed through a disease and the reader travelled with her. In Left Neglected, Sarah Nickerson is not a likeable person, she's just too up herself with her boasting at every oppor
Thomas
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I felt intellectual while indulging in Lisa Genova's latest novel, Left Neglected. I wish my chemistry textbook was as interesting as this book, maybe then I'd be more inclined to actively participate in class.

Anyway, reading this book was a vicarious experience. It is about a self-proclaimed overachiever, Sarah Nickerson. She manages a position as vice president of a prominent consulting company as well as her husband and three kids. This Harvard graduate suffers from an overbooked schedule, bu
Paula
Left Neglected is another medical novel by Lisa Genova set in a fictional town called Wellmont (really Belmont Massachusetts). Sarah Nickerson, a career-driven Harvard MBA HR consultant, gets in a car accident which leaves her with Left Neglect. A brain injury where the victim's mind cannot identify the left side of her body or surroundings. Sarah does not do well in her new situation, but you can't fell much sympathy as she is not a likable character.

This was a book club choice and a disappoint
Ruth Turner
Jul 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned

DNF

I stopped reading this at a little under the half way mark. It's terrible. It's boring. It's repetitive.

The main character is self-absorbed, insufferable and unlikable. I got tired of hearing about how great she is, how great she is at her job, how well educated she is...over and over again *eyeroll*

The dream sequences at the beginning of the earlier chapters had me scratching my head. I'm not sure what the significance was.

I also found her reaction to the "traumatic brain injury" she sustai
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical, family, fiction
I didn't find this book as powerful or influential as Genova's other two books, Still Alice and Inside the O'Briens, in fact the medical tragedy theme is starting to become quite a repetitive and predictable pattern, but I still love this author's prose and the way she captures everyday life shattered by the unthinkable.
Phrynne
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I found the topic of this book, that is the disability suffered by the main character, to be very interesting indeed and some of her problems and therapies were fascinating.However I found I could not like her at all and this detracted from my pleasure in the book. There was a good story in there which kept me going to the end but I can't say I enjoyed all of it. It was okay but not one of the better books I have read this year so far.
Stephanie (Stepping Out Of The Page)
First of all, I think that the title of this book is very clever, just like the novel. When I picked up this book and even after reading the blurb, I had no idea that this book was about a neurological condition - in fact, I'd never even heard of 'Left Neglect' which is a condition also known as hemispatial neglect. This book definitely opened my eyes and taught me about this condition which I previously had no idea about. It was interesting to hear about the main character, Sarah, both before a ...more
Sharon
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
Sarah Nickerson is an extremely busy wife and mother to three beautiful children who also works long hours as the vice president of human resources at Berkley consulting. Every morning Sarah is always in a hurry trying to get the children ready for school in between making their breakfast and their lunches to take to school. Then it's a mad dash out the door to get them to school on time.

One morning whilst taking the children to school, Sarah takes her eyes off the road for a split moment. Befor
Sherah
Jan 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: awful
This is the worst book I've read in a very long time. I was attracted to the story idea: an over-achieving, American life-script-following business lady is changed dramatically by a brain injury that leaves her without the ability to register the left side of her body or anything in her left field of vision. I thought it would be interesting to hear about her existential fears, fear of change, etc, and how she figures out that her lifestyle was ridiculously unsustainable, bravely moving out of t ...more
Mish
Left Neglected is an inspiring, informative and lightly humorous novel with a clear message for everyone to slow down and really think what they are doing. Our safety and life are not worth risking a deadline or an appointment.

Sarah Nickerson and her husband, Bob, have a busy lifestyle. Bob works for a company that is financially unstable, and Sarah has a high profile position as vice president for a consulting firm. They are parents to young children, juggling a demanding career and home life,
Elyse  Walters
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I read this book! I learned things I knew 'nothing' about!!! WOW!!! What an interesting story.

I'm going to have to read 'all' books that Lisa Genova writes. (she picks very interesting topics) --Her stories feel 'real' because they are 'medical' type 'historical' fiction. Fascinating --human heart spirit!

I love her small books! (lasting in remembering!)

What's next? :)

Ms.pegasus
Left Neglect is a neurological condition resulting from right-hemisphere brain damage. Working from an assumption that the brain matches sensory input to a number of expected templates, we gain some understanding of how the patient is not aware of the deficit until it is brought to her attention. Thus, Sarah thinks she is drawing a complete face, or seeing the food on both sides of her plate. (Her drawing only has one eye, and the food on the left side of her plate is uneaten). The most interest ...more
Norma
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually go into books blind so I don't have any preconceptions of what I am reading and then a couple of chapters in I will read the synopsis. Left Neglected was a very fitting title for this novel by Lisa Genova and has a very powerful message that we all need to slow down and realize what we are doing as it can be changed or taken away from us so quickly. We make that one poor judgement call without realizing the consequences before it is too late.

It was a very enjoyable and light read whic
Debi G.
Feb 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was loaned to me with a glowing recommendation. I found the plot familiar and predictable, and thought the main character mentioned her cherished Harvard MBA with absurd frequency. That said, I recognize the broad appeal of pulp chick lit, and expect to see the Hollywood edition advertised soon.
Ashley (bookworm84)
This book was interesting. I didn't find it as gripping as "Still Alice" (which is one of my favourite books) but it was a good story. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it a bit more if I had waited to read it as I have a family member dealing with the effects of trauma to the brain and I am sensitive to the topic. Still, I would definitely recommend this one to everyone who enjoyed Genova's first book "Still Alice".
Carol
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was quite impressed with Lisa Genova's Still Alice, her debut novel depicting Alice Holland, a 50 year old Harvard professor, descent into Alzheimer's disease. Genova, who holds a Ph.D. in neuroscience got it just right in that first outing. The story stays with me and is one I recommend frequently.

When a first book is so good, can a second outing hold up?

The premise of the new book immediately caught my attention. Sarah Nickerson, holds a high octane job in a busy Human Relations Dept. 60 ho
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well it is not such a surprise to me that the Author of "Still Alice" would put out another 5 star book!
I loved this book so much I even had a hard time putting it down to eat dinner. This is going to be one of my favorite books of 2011. The first 60 pages reads very much like a Chick-Lit book, it is light and funny. A day to day account of the everyday life of an average middle class working wife and mother of 3. It is about her kids misbehaving, teacher meetings, her stressful job, and how few
Connie
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Why the review was under comments I am not sure?? Fixed

Wonderful! I fell in love with Genova's book Still Alice and was hopeful that I would be as enthralled with this one. She did not dissapoint! I had never heard of this "odd" brain injury, and she again tells the story from the view of the person struggling. It was fascinating. I felt the ups and downs, how each person in the family dealt with a "new Sarah" was great. Loved the relationship with her Mother but more so how she came to bond wi
Glitterbomb
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 4-star, reviews
In Left Neglected Lisa Genova explores the condition of "Left Neglect" also known as "Hemispatial Neglect". A condition where a person who has received a traumatic brain injury to one hemisphere of the brain, suffers an inability to perceive stimuli on one side of the body or field of vision.

Sarah Nickerson lived a high powered, career motivated life. With a husband and three children thrown into the mix, she was constantly micro managing her time, juggling tasks and multi tasking. One morning
Simon Lipson
Dec 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
A novel about a woman who loses her perception of her left side after a car accident. Er...that's it, save to say that it's not as interesting as I've just made it sound. This reads like the droning, self-pitying rehabilitation memoir of a nobody. You lost your left side. We got it. Thanks. And now you're trying to get better. Why another 300 pages saying the same thing over and over and over and over...? No insights, no progression, no story, no characters worth investing in; only self-indulgen ...more
Jaksen
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on a topic I knew next-to-nothing about.

Sarah Nickerson is a high-powered, multi-talented, work-and-family challenged woman of 37 when she's driving to work, looks at her phone, gets in a wreck and suffers a traumatic brain injury - on the right side of her brain. As a result she is diagnosed with 'left neglected,' a medical condition in which the brain cannot see or recognize the left side of - well just about anything. This includes a room, a plate, a book or book page, and even
Megan Baxter
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
This is only one step elevated from being what I call an "issue" book, as the characters seem to be slightly more than profiles taken from the textbooks devoted to the issue, given names and bodies, and little else. On the other hand, in order to emphasize most thoroughly the impact of the medical condition she's chosen to explore, Genova has given us a main character is who is almost unbearably annoying.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and
Debbie "DJ"
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Another great book from Genova. A split second of texting while driving changes everything. The main character suffers a brain injury called Left Brain Neglect, the book sees everything through her eyes. Truly fascinating.
Celia
Another amazing book from Lisa Genova.

I found this review and the media reviews on BookBrowse. I listened to the book on audio cd, narrated by the capable Sarah Paulson (who is probably very glad she is not Sarah Nickerson!!)

A traumatic brain injury completely
K
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: someone seeking brain candy with more redeeming features than chick lit
Recommended to K by: M
Sarah Nickerson is your typical overachiever protagonist -- major career, mom of three, multitasker extraordinaire. Her multitasking proves to be her undoing when, looking something up on her cell phone while driving, she is in a serious car accident. This novel describes the process of her coming to terms with both her traumatic brain injury and resulting "left neglect" which causes her to ignore the left side of her visual field, and her estranged mother who insists on entering her life now an ...more
Elise
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I sat in my car listening to Diane Rehm interview Lisa Genova about her new book. I couldn't get out of the car until the show was over. I scribbled down the title and anxiously waited for the mailman to deliver my copy of Left Neglected. I'm so glad I stumbled on the interview.
It seams trite to ask: Do you take your life for granted? Don't we all at some point? Until we lose something or someone that seems trivial, we move in a rut, not seeing what a wonderful gift life can be.
It only takes a s
Brenda
This is another brilliant novel by Lisa Genova! Sarah Nickerson is the vice president of human resources at Berkley Consulting..she is also Mum to Charlie, Luci and 9 month old Linus, plus wife to Bob.

On a day like any other, driving to work, frantically rushing, trying to make a call on her phone, she looked away from the road for a second too long, and had a horrific accident. She woke in hospital with a traumatic brain injury, which erased the left side of her world. She couldn't see or find
B the BookAddict
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction

I have just finished five or six works of literary fiction and any other novels of ordinary fiction following those might have paled in comparison but LEFT neglected stood firm as an excellent novel. Lisa Genova has the gift of involving the reader from the first couple of pages. I admit to feeling exhausted as I read of Sarah's hectic and high-powered day pre-accident and felt equally encumbered as she struggled with LEFT neglect. Genova manages to impart an informed but not not overly clinical
 Sarah Lumos
Ever since reading “Still Alice” , I have made it my mission to finish all of Lisa Genova’s novels. Reading her books is both a vicarious and intellectual experience. Albeit entertaining, the pathology of the neuropsychological conditions in her books are evidence-based. She combines her knowledge of neuroscience and writing to craft stories that make learning about neurological diseases accessible.

Sarah is a woman striving to have it all, and in many ways does. She has a graduate degree from
Should this be a movie? 9 51 Jul 20, 2020 09:19PM
Oregon Public Lib...: Left Neglected [September 2019] 1 2 Aug 01, 2019 03:57PM
Play Book Tag: Left Neglected - Lisa Genova - 4-1/2 Stars 6 24 Feb 13, 2019 06:18PM
Play Book Tag: Left Neglected / Lisa Genova - 3*** 3 17 Jul 22, 2018 08:43AM

• Ask Again, Yes
  • Handle with Care
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • On Pluto: Inside the Mind of Alzheimer's
Lisa Genova graduated valedictorian, summa cum laude from Bates College with a degree in Biopsychology and has a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from Harvard University.

Acclaimed as the Oliver Sacks of fiction and the Michael Crichton of brain science, Lisa has captured a special place in contemporary fiction, writing stories that are equally inspired by neuroscience and the human spirit. She is author of