We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

WLLK Buddy Reads > Thunder and Roses - 2/1/011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Hey, I want to read Thunder and Roses (Fallen Angels, #1) by Mary Jo Putney by Mary Jo Putney and I wondered if anyone wanted to buddy read it with me? I'll be starting on February 1st.

Thanks!

message 2: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments let me check a few things then I'll get back to you! It's on my tbr list too!!! I think we bought it at the same time too!

message 3: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Bekah wrote: "let me check a few things then I'll get back to you! It's on my tbr list too!!! I think we bought it at the same time too!"

That would be great, Bekah!!! Let me know!

message 4: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Ok, I'm in! :-)

message 5: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Great, thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

message 6: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments I'm looking forward to seeing your comments. I hope you're not expecting the same angst level as Flowers from the Storm and you can cope with a packed plot!

FlibBityFLooB did a very good review. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 7: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Thanks Mshj! I don't think I could handle another Flowers from the Storm yet. I still cry when I try to write the review.

message 8: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Oh, Mshj...that review makes me nervous!!

And Dhes...clearly I need to reread that book. It's been YEARS...all I really remember is that it was good.

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Bekah, Flowers hits home for me because my husband is just like Maddy, and nothing I do will ever be good enough, because he judges me using a very difficult ruler... scripture.

message 10: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Jan 29, 2011 08:08PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Ms, I didn't read the review because I want to wait until after I read the book.

message 11: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I'm only on page 22 but I like it!

message 12: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I'm heading to the doctor and taking it with me. Depending on how it goes, I may or may not be back on today. Getting my arm x-rayed and last time they messed with it I nearly passed out from the pain.

But at least I'll get SOME reading in!

message 13: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments i just got to the swimming with penguins part and all I could think about was poopy water!

message 14: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I haven't read that far yet. I'm just about to start chapter 3... I'm about 1 page away.

She's just explained to her friends what her deal is.

**gasp** Scandalous! LOL

message 15: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments ok, sorry...I will stop spoiling it! For some reason I got the impression we were around the same spot!

message 16: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments No worries! I'm just at the part where they're checking out the quarry.

I took it with me to the doctor today but we have to drive down this pass to get there and I couldn't read while riding. Once I got to the appt, I filled out the paperwork and thought I'd have a good 30 minutes to read, but they called me back right away.

Then back up the pass and I couldn't read while riding! LOL

I'm starting chapter 4 now. What chapter are you at?

message 17: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I'm on page 70...just started chapter 6!

message 18: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Ok, I'll be reading for awhile longer. It's a great story! Mshj had recommended it to me during the Secret Santa gift exchange, but with so much going on I was only able to read 1 of her books during Jan. I'm glad I'm reading this one, now!

message 19: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I'll probably be reading for a little while longer too!

message 20: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments We'll compare notes tomorrow!

Have a good night :)

message 21: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments you too!

message 22: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I'm done for the night. I'm 100 pages in, about to start chapter 9. I'm sorta confused about how I feel about this book...not sure yet. I'm interested, but I also find my attention being easily diverted...

message 23: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments You're way ahead of me now. I had settled into bed to read and my daughter called. Talked for over an hour, now I'm tired. I'm about to start chapter 5.

message 24: by MashJ (last edited Feb 02, 2011 02:38AM) (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Bekah wrote: "I'm done for the night. I'm 100 pages in, about to start chapter 9. I'm sorta confused about how I feel about this book...not sure yet. I'm interested, but I also find my attention being easily di..."

I have to say that I did get very tangled up with the secondary characters and the sheer volume of plot in this book. I found it to be a classic romance of the midway school- between the bodice rippers of the 80s and the political correctness that we tend to have at present. Sounds like you're not grabbed. As in all things YMMV.

message 25: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments What is that? YMMV? I don't think I'm grabbed but I'm not uninterested either. For me a lot of my interest in the book is tied up in the hero..and I'm not sure exactly how I feel about Nicholas yet. I'm intrigued...

message 26: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I didn't know what YMMV was either and I'm very good figuring out abbreviations. :) Anyhow, I just consulted that fountain of knowledge that is the Urban Dictionary *giggling* and here's what is says:

YMMV: Literally, "Your Mileage May Vary,". It has come to mean an acknowledgment that the opinion of the poster may not be shared by everyone.

message 27: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments lol, thanks D.G.!

message 28: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments your mileage may vary!

message 29: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I'm enjoying what I've read so far.

Another great Secret Santa reco Mshj! Thank you!

message 30: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Bekah, how are you doing on this story? I'm really enjoying it. I've been sidetracked with taxes today, but tonight I plan to really dig in.

message 31: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments i didn't get much reading done today..maybe i will get more done tonight..not sure yet.

I do love the one kiss a day thing! I just started chapter 10.

message 32: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I love that, too! I'm not to page 100 yet... I just hit 90. I'll be reading a lot tonight :)

message 33: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments so where are you??? I'm at 150....

message 34: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I'm about 170 I think. Chapter 13?

message 35: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments ok, so two things...when she asked him to let her go...he told her that there were better looking women than her!!! I hate that...

and

I hope she does really leave him at some point!

message 36: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I read where she asked him to let her go, but I don't remember that comment! Asswipe! I'm where they're just getting to London, chapter 13.

I'm hoping he doesn't seduce her into "ruination" but if she wants to give in on her own, I'm fine with that.

message 37: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments oh yeah...that's the other piece that sorta bothers me.

He's just so ready to ruin her life and then what????

I think i'm in the same spot as you!

message 38: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I think I'm catching up to you, finally!

message 39: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments ok, I'm done for the night. Can't keep my eyes opened anymore!

Just starting chapter 24, page 276.

really liked it for a bit there, but now back to being confused...

message 40: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Now I'm way behind again! LOL

Just read at your own pace and don't worry about me. I'm only up to where they're just about to go to the ball to find Lord Michael.

message 41: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I just finished! I had several issues with Nicholas...will chat with you along the way.

message 42: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments What's bothering me about him is that he seems to either not understand or not care that what she is agreeing to could mean she'll never be able to marry. He seems oblivious to the fact that "ruination" isn't just about taking her virginity, it's turning her into a pariah!

message 43: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (last edited Feb 04, 2011 01:37PM) (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments yeah, i mean in more than one instance its clear he wants it that way so she'll stay and he doesn't care. I think its different when yes, you want that, but you do have some genuine remorse on the person's behalf...i mean isnt that what we call a stalkeriffic hero - even though they recognize it will be detrimental for her but still pursue her?? At least there is some recognition AND genuine enough remorse.

He was a three strikes you're out hero for me...and truth be told there were more than three strikes but three MAJOR strikes for me.

message 44: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I usually try to wait for a redemption, but I'm not seeing how Nicholas will be redeemed, if that makes sense.

We shall see. I'll post as I go.

message 45: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments okey dokey

message 46: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I'm on page 211 and wow... Michael is not happy with Nicholas. I already have a theory, though I may not be right...

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments :-) He's a cold one and tough to figure out!

message 48: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I want to read his story now, too!!

message 49: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I felt the same way, but then i'm sorta wary of MJP now...maybe someday I will pick something of hers again. Now, though I have too many sure things in my TBR mountain.

message 50: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I know how you feel! I had company so I didn't get to read more, but I'm getting ready to dig in again.

« previous 1