Start by marking “Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels, #5)” as Want to Read:
Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels, #5)

Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels #5)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  1,734 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Honed by danger and haunted by the past, Lord Michael Kenyon finds it easy to risk his life for his country's sake. But in the shadow of war, he faces a far more dangerous threat—the loss of his heart to the beautiful battlefield nurse who saves his life yet can never be his.

Called a saint for her virtue and selfless courage, only Catherine Melbourne knows the tragic flaw
Mass Market Paperback, 367 pages
Published December 7th 2004 by Signet (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Shattered Rainbows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shattered Rainbows

Pepa
He disfrutado mucho de esta lectura. De las de antes. No le falta de nada. Una pareja con un comienzo complicado y llena de aventuras y buenos giros.
La primera parte está ambientada en la típica época de la batalla de Waterloo, pero la autora da un paso más e incluso nos mete de lleno en la batalla y sus horrores.
La segunda, más relajada y ambientda en una pequeña isla me ha parecido también muy original. Las últimas 100 páginas han sido seguidas, no podía parar de leer jajaja
Buenos personajes y
Keri
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars. I knew that Stephen's book was going to be the most emotional and difficult and it was. Stephen was one of those poor souls that was destined to fall in love with women that were emotional unable to return his love, whether it be by death or marriage. But when he catchs sight of Catherine, none of that seems to matter. Very good read and a satisfying epi. Looking forward to Kenneth's book.
Viri
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro como los de antes.

De esos que se disfrutan y van poco a poco. Plagados de sensaciones y con historias muy bien trazadas.

Es de mis favoritos en la serie ❤
Zoe
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all the fallen angels I think this is my least favorite (I have read all of them in my youth). But I really appreciate Mary Jo Putney's writing. It sometimes flows a bit oddly, but always has a richness to it that I cannot describe. I think in the romance genre, some writers write fluffy romances, some dark, some light. And some writers, like Mary Jo Putney, write love stories. They explore a different dimension of our romantic psyche. The price they pay is that sometimes readers lose interes ...more
Jennifer Ashley
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Book 2 for my Goodreads Romance Week shelving: Mary Jo Putney has many terrific books, but this is my very favorite (thus far), and one of my favorite romances ever, especially Part 1! It's a love story between a married woman who would never dream of straying and a man who has vowed never to have anything to do with married women again. The tension as they struggle to maintain their principles and at the same time acknowledge their feelings is built up in just the right way. Also, this is the b ...more
Alina
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
From Mary Jo's Fallen Angels series I really wanted to read Michael's story the most.As I already had an idea (based on his presence and actions in the other books from the FA series) Michael is one smart and strong male. Catherine was a little bit annoying and tried too hard to be a "martyr" .I just couldn't understand her many lies and her ability to take irrational decisions .

All in all the book was enjoyable.
Karen
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Everything I know about the Battle of Waterloo I learned from this book. Mary Jo Putney writes historical romances that are always entertaining and sometimes much more. This is one of the "much more" books. The final section, set on an island off the coast of England, veers into a more traditional adventure, but what stayed with me were the passages about the bloody destruction of Waterloo, the absolute upheaval of lives, and the determination of people to continue living as best they can.
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖amante de los spoilers✖
DNF (Reseña en español and a little comment in english)

El prólogo me encantó, me pareció re interesante pero la autora se explaya demasiado en la primera parte.

El libro se divide en dos partes la primera que habla sobre la guerra y cómo se conocieron los protagonistas. ¿qué guerra?, ¿quién ganó? , ¿dónde? ¿Cuándo?, ¿Por qué?. NI IDEA. Spoiler alert = no preste atención.

Así que para cuando llegué a la segunda parte ya estaba re contra aburrida.

No me gusta cuando en la sinopsis te dicen que "v
Estara
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carol Storm
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Haldoran! Haldoran! Does whatever a scoundrel can! Can he shoot? Can he scheme? Ravishing Catherine is his dream. Here comes that Haldoran man!

All Spider Man tributes aside, this is one of the best historical romance novels I've ever read. Mary Jo Putney has a great talent for not only creating hunky heroes, but heroines with real skills and intelligence, and villains who are far more deadly and resourceful than the liars and cowardly weaklings who make up "the usual suspects" in most romance.

I
Oleta Blaylock
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series just keeps getting better and better. I have to wonder if these were the first books that Ms. Putney published. While are the books are very good there is marked improvement in each story. This story is just a single romance much like THUNDER & ROSES. This story is different from the others in that it covers several years. In covering that period of time there are wonderful glimpses of history. There are scenes after the battle at Salamanca. There are also the days Michael Kenyon ...more
Ash
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars rounded up to 4
Grade= B
Dangermousie
This is the book that turned me into a Putney fan. It was the first MJP book I loved - passionate hardcore love I have never even come close to feeling for another MJP book before this one (I read One Perfect Rose after this and it was a one-two punch that made me a fangirl).

More than half of SR is set right before, during, and after Waterloo, and is unspoken, unacted-on romance between an English officer and the wife of another officer at whose house he is billeted at and IT WAS MAKING ME DIE.
Linda Morris
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Robin
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is classified as "romance" but it's so well-written that after the first few pages, you realize that the emphasis is on history rather than romance. It's out of print currently, but most used book stores probably have it. WARNING: It's the fourth volume in a series called "Fallen Angels", and I highly recommend that the books be read in sequence, as some of the plot lines and characters show up in all the books in the series (there are seven books altogether). A great leisure/beach rea ...more
Laura V.
Me encantó.-.
Pensé que después de lo ocurrido en Tormenta de Pasiones, Michael ya no tendría redención posible, pero él nos demuestra que sí, hay un perdón para él.. y que también él tiene que empezar a perdonarse a sí mismo.
La histoira tiene tatnos entrecruces y vueltas, que te meten en la historia que se me hizo imposible dejarla sin terminar, amé Michael, me encanta Catherine.- y me gusta mucho la relación que tuvieron durante el tiempo que pasaron. Es una historia muy bella.- Indispensable
*MariaA*
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-star-good-ones
Now, this is what I call a damn good read! Although we could have done with a bit less description of the battlefields and a bit more fast pacing of the story. Michael was an amazingly lovable fellow!!
Lu
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-paperback
4,5 starts rounded up

Michael met Catherine during the war and she nursed him and saved his life. He was attracted to her immediately, but she was married.
Her husband was unfaithful and absent but Catherine kept true to her vows.
He is a younger son to a duke and told Catherine to reach for him if she ever needed any kind of help.
Up to this point the book was clearly a 5 star to me, but then things started to get cloudy.
Some time after the war Catherine discovers she has a grandparent who is Laird
Jack Vasen
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I usually don't like books or TV that starts in the present and immediately flashes back, but in this case it sparked my interest. The flashback was refreshing and interesting. There was also an episode where what Catherine did for Michael was, to me, extremely romantic, especially the long term consequences.

When the story caught up to the present, it didn't require quite so many tedious denials as in most of this genre. Even Catherine's terrible secret was a bit uncommon.

Catherine is, if possib
Susan Ross
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This book would have gotten more stars if most of the book hadn't centred on our main characters not admitting their lover for each other. I found that very frustrating. It dragged for me in some parts and I would have like to have seen more of Amy, our heroine's daughter, in the story. I think the most frustrating part was when Catherine didn't tell Michael that her husband had died. That just seemed ridiculous to me, despite Catherine's fears.
Lynne Tull
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
Be prepared for two books in one. The first book is a 'Prologue' and the second book is the rest of the story. I would have given it five stars except that the action in the second book was tedious. On the way to the happily ever after I skipped a lot of the action. Loved the H/H and supporting cast. Still recommending the whole series...best to start with the first one: Thunder & Roses.
Sandy
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous read

Mary Jo does it again. This story starts at the eve of the battle of Waterloo and develops the characters in the eve of battle. It next moves to the feudal island of Skoal where they face both inner demons and outside bad guys. Great action great plot great characters.
Macaron
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story. Michael Kenyon was a character that I liked in the previous books of the series and I expected a great story for him. And it was. I was pulled into the story from the first line and then whirled into a spiral of emotions and actions. It is an adventure full of suspense and unexpected twists.
Mary Ann
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!

Michael is every girl's Prince charming. Catherine is one gutsy broad. Their r love story/adventure is sweet and suspenseful. Mary Jo's Waterloo events remind me of Georgette Beyer. You WILL NOT be disappointed when you read this book!
Sheila
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This authors always fills my heart. Romance, action, characters that are real. I enjoy every one of her books.
Diane Matlick
Loved Catherine and Michael, loved how this took place over years, loved watching their love for each other grow

❤❤❤
Mom2boyz
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
The beginning was wonderful... then about half-way through the book all the unbelievable convoluted drama started and I just couldn't finish it.
Ana
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was marvelous until they went to skoal! That part was just horrible!! I could barely read it! Boo! 2 stars

(Read: September 2016)
Cherie
Mar 16, 2017 added it
Shelves: e-book, dnf
I've decided I don't want to finish this. I have found a good place to stop. Up to this point, I give 4-4.5 stars but the story is about to go downhill as far as I am concerned.

This has the best written scenes of the battle at Waterloo I've ever read. MJP knows how to squeeze emotion out of facts and have me on the edge of my chair while reading. She develops great characters and challenging scenarios. I just wish she could follow through without using dishonorable behavior. Honorable people are
Diane K. Peterson
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good book. This is a compelling love story with angst and intrigue. You gotta love Michael Kenyon, a classic tortured hero. And Catherine was the epitome of a perfect heroine. My only problem with the book is that is was rather...long. It was a little difficult to maintain a high level of interest with a story that took place over such an extended period of time. I realize that Putney was trying to convey the epic degree of their love, but it lost some intensity with some of the jumps in ...more
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • No True Gentleman (Rutledge Family, #2)
  • The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet, #2)
  • Irresistible (Horsemen Trilogy, #3)
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • All Through the Night (Royal Agents #2)
  • Miss Wonderful (Carsington Brothers, #1)
  • His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
  • Untie My Heart
  • For My Lady's Heart (Medieval Hearts, #1)
  • The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #1)
She writes young adult fiction as M.J. Putney.

Mary Jo Putney was born in Upstate New York with a reading addiction, a condition for which there is no known cure. After earning degrees in English Literature and Industrial Design at Syracuse University, she did various forms of design work in California and England before inertia took over in Baltimore, Maryland, where she has lived very comfortably
More about Mary Jo Putney

Fallen Angels (7 books)
  • Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1)
  • Dancing on the Wind (Fallen Angels, #2)
  • Petals in the Storm (Fallen Angels, #3; Regency, #2)
  • Angel Rogue (Fallen Angels, #4)
  • River of Fire (Fallen Angels, #6)
  • One Perfect Rose (Fallen Angels #7)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • To Dream (The Broken Roads #4)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ghouls Rush In (Peyton Clark, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Calico Palace: A Novel (Open Road)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Seeing Red
    $9.99 $2.99
  • To Trust (The Broken Roads #1)
  • A Falling Star
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Just Grace (Oklahoma Land Rush, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Nailed (Worked Up, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Montana Cherries (Montana Wildes, #1)
  • The Lake House
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Velvet (The Promised Land #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fated (Servants of Fate, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Emma's Folly (Oklahoma Land Rush, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Redemption (The Love's Valley #4)
  • In the Cards
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tilly (The Drifters & Dreamers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Trouble (St. James, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1)
  • Absolution
    $3.99 $1.99
  • My Dearest Love (Longing for Home)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Dying to Tell (Slaughter Creek, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Choices (The Love's Valley #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Secrets in Summer: A Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Walkin' on Clouds (Angels & Outlaws, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Best Kind of Broken (Finding Fate, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unbreak My Heart (Fostering Love #1)
  • OBSESSION
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Chances (The Love's Valley #3)
  • Nearlyweds
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Sweet Resolve (Lucky, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Promises (The Love's Valley #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
“form, not the crashing waves far below at the base of the cliff. She looked eerily like the sketch that Kenneth had drawn of” 2 likes